• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

No. To this as well. Pot is already a part of the economy. Do you think drug dealers don't spend their money? It will reduce the social cost of the drug war but you're not going to see the economy 'boom'

The cost of the drug war is a pretty serious drag on the economy, I'd bet-- if only for all the people taken out of the earning category by being jailed. That's a major reason I'm for legalization.

The cost of the drug war is a pretty serious drag on the economy, I'd bet-- if only for all the people taken out of the earning category by being jailed. That's a major reason I'm for legalization.

They're not going to jump right in an create a boom, they still lack skills. Over 10-20 years it will have an effect, from not locking them up. Not the drug.

Actually, it was me who said that. And I stand by it, as not all laws carry equal weight or risk, and I do think that willingness to risk a misdemeanor or felony is worse than committing a moving violation with no criminal component. Hence it was a false equivilency on your part to compare the two.

I wouldn't not hire somebody for it, but I can understand why somebody else might not.

If it clarifies things, change my original statement to willingness to commit a misdemeanor.

Yeah the misdemeanor clarification would help. In any case, I appreciate an honest response rather than just drive by posting that my argument was dumb. Cheers!

xnipx

Random but somewhat related. Discovered that 3 of my coworkers had DUI show up on their background check and got hired.

A friend of mine applied with a weed charge from when we were younger but now has a degree and they said his background wasn't a good fit for the company.

Guess what their races are?

My job doesn't drug test, but keep in mind that testing positive doesn't automatically eliminate someone from getting a job. Just something to be used in consideration when making the hiring decision.

Now guess what type of people would LOVE more reasons to deny "certain" people employment

Huckabee says Democrats believe women can't control their libidos. Huh?

Appearing at the RNC's winter meeting, Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor and talk show host, lit up social media with his remarks about women's libidos and birth control.

Possible 2016 GOP presidential aspirant Mike Huckabee said in a speech Thursday that Republicans should fight harder to win women's votes. In particular, Huckabee said his party should stress that it doesn’t believe women are “helpless and hopeless creatures” whose only desire is for government-provided birth control.

The former Arkansas governor added that many of the women he knows are intelligent and educated and capable of doing anything a man can do. Then he delivered a shot at Democrats which is lighting up social media like fireworks on July 4th.

Here’s the full quote: “And if the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it, let’s take that discussion all across America, because women are far more than Democrats have made them out to be.”
http://news.yahoo.com/huckabee-says-democrats-believe-women-39-t-control-222229341.html

As Obama once said . . . "Please proceed Governor".

Ed Gillespie looks like a total Los Angeles sleazeball hustler from 1950s. Even his name sounds like he runs a seedy ring or a crime syndicate.

I'm not getting the distinction. Why is it necessary for a truck driver?

Random tests to make sure they're not driving under the influence. I realize this doesn't help with pot, but it is helpful for substances like speed and cocaine. Both common drugs to keep truck drivers up for the long haul. Plus, as I said earlier, the companies get discounts on insurance for testing and this would be one of those scenarios.

http://flavorpill.tumblr.com/post/74317195203/honestly-who-thought-this-would-be-a-good

tumblr_mzvgutF8wt1qzqoygo1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mzvgutF8wt1qzqoygo3_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mzvgutF8wt1qzqoygo2_r1_500.jpg

Ed Gillespie looks like a total Los Angeles sleazeball hustler from 1950s. Even his name sounds like he runs a seedy ring or a crime syndicate.
He must have figured that if a sleaze like Terry Macauliffe could win then he could win too. But Terry at least has some charisma and wit.

So there's going to be not one. not two, but THREE responses to the State of the Union this year.

One will be the traditional GOP response from Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA), the Tea Party response from Mike Lee and the Rand Paul response from Rand Paul.

BTW Obama is gonna announce he wants to legalize pot in his SOTU.

Doubtful, but I wouldn't be surprised if he announced his administration will begin a decriminalization process.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The new national survey by the Pew Research Center and USA TODAY, conducted Jan. 15-19 among 1,504 adults, finds that 65% believe the gap between the rich and everyone else has increased in the last 10 years. This view is shared by majorities across nearly all groups in the public, including 68% of Democrats and 61% of Republicans.

Yet there is a sharp disagreement over whether this gap needs government attention. Among Democrats, 90% say the government should do “a lot” or “some” to reduce the gap between the rich and everyone else, including 62% who say it should do a lot. But only half as many Republicans (45%) think the government should do something about this gap, with just 23% saying it should do a lot. Instead, nearly half of Republicans say the government should do “not much” (15%) or “nothing at all” (33%) about the wealth divide.

For example, 54% of Americans support raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations in order to expand programs for the poor. A 63% majority supports extending federal unemployment wins. A whopping 73% support increasing the federal minimum wage to $10.10.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/class-warfare-sure-popular

Dat class warfare.

Tamanon

Banned
Ha! Fuck D'Souza!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dinesh-dsouza-campaign-finance-indictment

Conservative author Dinesh D'Souza has been indicted on federal charges of violating campaign finance laws, the the U.S attorney in Manhattan announced on Thursday.

The indictment accused D'Souza of participating in a straw donation scheme to funnel money to an unnamed Senate campaign. He was charged with one count of making contributions in the name of others and one count of causing false statements.

The indictment alleged D'Souza "knowingly made and caused to be made" contributions "in the names of others" during 2012. According to the indictment, D'Souza then "reimbursed others with whom he was associated and who he had directed to contribute a total of $20,000 to the campaign."

Can I defend Huck a bit? I think he's saying that the democrat position is that women can't control their sex lives, therefore they need contraceptives. I'm seeing sites like TPM completely changing the context of his comment.

TPM: "Huckabee: Gov't Shouldn't Help Women Who Can't Control Libidos"

He...didn't say that.

"If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of government then so be it! Let us take that discussion all across America because women are far more than the Democrats have played them to be," Huckabee said.

The bolded seems to make it clear that he's saying that's what democrats believe.

disclaimer: I voted for Huckabee in the 2008 primaries lmao. The democrat primary was voided.

He must have figured that if a sleaze like Terry Macauliffe could win then he could win too. But Terry at least has some charisma and wit.
See the punditocracy is always bringing this up but

- Terry McAuliffe had the support of the Clintons. Who the fuck in the RNC matches their clout

- Mark Warner is a far more popular candidate than Ken Cuccinelli

- Seriously?

lednerg

To be fair, you can tell that someone has severe anger issues when he's never yelled or screamed once in public. Clearly he is bottling it up and just waiting to explode on someone

I just right now had a little daydream about Obama meeting with Chris Christie in private.

Can I defend Huck a bit? I think he's saying that the democrat position is that women can't control their sex lives, therefore they need contraceptives. I'm seeing sites like TPM completely changing the context of his comment.

He...didn't say that.

"If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of government then so be it! Let us take that discussion all across America because women are far more than the Democrats have played them to be," Huckabee said.

The bolded seems to make it clear that he's saying that's what democrats believe.
disclaimer: I voted for Huckabee in the 2008 primaries lmao. The democrat primary was voided.

You know what that quote is saying. Its an attack on birth control as something that is only used because women can't control their libido. It reveals his world view.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Can I defend Huck a bit?

Nope. I'll let Ed Kilgore take it away:

Let’s get this straight: Republicans are fighting for the empowerment of women by telling them Uncle Sugar should keep them from having abortions, using birth control methods that some religious leaders (unlike medical and scientific experts) have deemed “abortifacients,” and asking for equal pay as a right, not a request. A ban on abortion and curbs on birth control, moreover, empower women to control their libidos, which are clearly a threat to public order, not to mention Old Testament patriarchy.

I think that 30-75k is supposed to be the middle class while under 30k is poor

What's amazing to me is that, if we were to discuss this meaningfully, every person surveyed should be considered poor. And they probably should be told that to prime them correctly. A person making 150k per year is quite poor in comparison to the top 0.1% or top 0.01%. And since that's who we should be talking about when we talk about "the rich," everybody who makes under 500k per year should be told that they are poor before answering these questions. Those numbers (which are already considerably pro-progressive) would change dramatically.

I think that 30-75k is supposed to be the middle class while under 30k is poor

This is reality to the American public. "Middle class" is basically anyone who doesn't live in the hood or Beverly Hills. I find it hilarious that people divide it into "upper" and "lower" middle class. Now its just working class from the low to mid thirties. Middle from the 40s to 65 and well to do with what ever is over that. Of course this matters where you are. 75k in Ohio isn't 75k in NYC.

Qazaq

Banned
Stop. This is dumb.

In both places it's enough for a life of luxury and comfort.

There are thousands making 15k in nyc.

You. Are. Wrong.

75k is never "poor" or "struggling" in the traditional sense, but it is you who is presenting a dumb argument. 75k is not the same in Ohio as it is in NYC as it is in Mississippi.

Chichikov

What does that change?

And an answer: Sikhism though there are more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious_group
Sorry to bring back the discussion back a few pages (I generally try not to do that) but I don't fell I was getting my point across that well.
Let me try again -
On a personal level, you can identify yourself any way you want, if you choose to do so based on the religion of your mother side ancestry (assuming they didn't convert to another religion) that's fine, and to be fair, I even do that - I think of myself as a Jew because I grew up being identified as one by everyone around me.
Personally it's not the singular identity I have, but I'm okay with people who choose that.

I think you run into problem when you start codify such terms into laws, and understand, this is something that is forced on people, you cannot opt out of being a Jew (unless you convert to another religion), and people tried, all the way to the supreme court. Also, this is something that have real serious implication, for example - I cannot have a secular wedding in Israel, I got have a religious ceremony (but a Christian can).
And maybe more importantly, I really think it's not something you should build your national identity around.
I always wanted to ask you more questions about life in Israel, particularly the Jewish and Arab divide.
Feel free to ask anything.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Have you seen U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman?

The suburban Houston Republican and fierce conservative is mounting a long-shot challenge from the right against Senate minority whip John Cornyn but has made virtually no public appearances in Texas as questions mount about his campaign finances. Now, he's stopped showing up for his day job, too.

Stockman has missed 17 straight House votes since Jan. 9
— including one on the $1.1 trillion omnibus federal spending package he promised on Twitter to vote against. That's unusual since, even though Stockman has a reputation as a Capitol Hill renegade, he missed only about a dozen major votes all last year.

The disappearance is mystifying for conservative activists who were hoping Stockman could help them land another blow against the GOP establishment this year. Texas has been a showcase for the right wing's power since firebrand Ted Cruz rose from back in the party's ranks in 2012 to become a U.S. Senate sensation.

But Stockman's challenge has slipped from quixotic to downright unusual.

"He thought he was another Ted Cruz and he isn't," said William Murray, chairman of the Washington-based Government is Not God PAC, which backed Stockman's congressional campaigns in the 1990s and 2012 but has now endorsed Cornyn.

Once a homeless college dropout, Stockman is a born-again Christian who lists his official occupation as "Constitutionalist." He served one term in Congress beginning in 1994, then returned last year and has attracted attention in conservative circles with flamboyant rhetoric about impeaching President Barack Obama and promoting gun rights. Stockman even had a copy of the book "Impeachable Offenses: The Case for Removing Barack Obama from Office" hand-delivered to all 435 House members.

After first dropping out of sight, the congressman recently was spotted on a visit to Egypt as a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee — but where he's gone since then is unclear.
http://news.yahoo.com/primary-challenger-texas-39-cornyn-goes-missing-162827087.html

How does Texas even function with these nuts? There must be a dedicated core of civil servant bureaucrats that just shake their heads.

He...didn't say that.

No he didn't say that women can't control their libido. But he did advance a theory so stupid that he is insulting people by actually trying to sell such bullshit on them.

Karakand

Sorry to bring back the discussion back a few pages (I generally try not to do that) but I don't fell I was getting my point across that well.
Let me try again -
On a personal level, you can identify yourself any way you want, if you choose to do so based on the religion of your mother side ancestry (assuming they didn't convert to another religion) that's fine, and to be fair, I even do that - I think of myself as a Jew because I grew up being identified as one by everyone around me.
Personally it's not the singular identity I have, but I'm okay with people who choose that.

I think you run into problem when you start codify such terms into laws, and understand, this is something that is forced on people, you cannot opt out of being a Jew (unless you convert to another religion), and people tried, all the way to the supreme court. Also, this is something that have real serious implication, for example - I cannot have a secular wedding in Israel, I got have a religious ceremony (but a Christian can).
And maybe more importantly, I really think it's not something you should build your national identity around.

Ha, your post was like reading a condensed version of the article.

http://www.economist.com/news/inter...nswers-increasingly-pressing-question-who-jew

And who the hell is "Uncle Sugar", anyway?

Sounded like he forgot the "Daddy" or conspicuously avoided using it.

Let me try again -

And maybe more importantly, I really think it's not something you should build your national identity around..

I differ on building the national identity I think the fact its a jewish country is important (though the history of the palestinians should not be ignored and I don't think other countries need to proclaim their agreement with it). But I completely understand you when tying into things like marriage, the army, and civil life and preventing people from withdrawing from. I can't marry an israeli jew in Israel secular wedding or not which I think is screwed up. I can immigrate and get citizenship but I can't marry a Jewish citizen.

I'm just trying to say that the law of return serves a valuable purpose. American Jews relations with Israel always interest me because I think they would find much of the things Israel does objectionable but the security of the state and the US's role in that tromps all.

Chichikov

Ha, your post was like reading a condensed version of the article.

http://www.economist.com/news/inter...nswers-increasingly-pressing-question-who-jew
Funny, that article (actually its title) is what started this whole discussion.
I have not read the article up until now, and it's very good, as much as I disagree with its general political stance, the economist has some of the best reporting on Israel.
It should be noted that this piece sidestep probably the most important aspect of this question - where does it leave the Israeli Palestinians and what does it mean to be, as Israel loves to define itself a Jewish democratic state.

I differ on building the national identity I think the fact its a jewish country is important (though the history of the palestinians should not be ignored and I don't think other countries need to proclaim their agreement with it). But I completely understand you when tying into things like marriage, the army, and civil life and preventing people from withdrawing from. I can't marry an israeli jew in Israel secular wedding or not which I think is screwed up. I can immigrate and get citizenship but I can't marry a Jewish citizen.

I'm just trying to say that the law of return serves a valuable purpose. American Jews relations with Israel always interest me because I think they would find much of the things Israel does objectionable but the security of the state and the US's role in that tromps all.
Why do you think it's important to have a Jewish country?
Don't get me wrong, I think Jews, like everyone, deserve to live in a country free of persecution, but I don't think this Bismarckian idea of getting all the people who share a historical heritage and make country of it is all that great (and as someone who lived in both nation states and non-station states, I think the latter model, like in the US, Canada, Australia etc. is just vastly superior).
And the right of return made sense in the past, as a Jew of eastern European descent, I can't hate on the idea of getting Jews out of Eastern Europe*, but today?
Why does it make sense to give people like Meyer Lanski or Flatto-Sharon citizenship while throwing African asylum seekers in detention camps?

* although it's important to note that Israel did very little to help the Jews during the holocaust, of course, it didn't stop it from deciding after the war that it speaks for all Jews (even thought the majority of Jews were not living in Israel at that time) and get mad money from Germany as compensations while treating holocaust survivors generally terrible (in hebrew slang, they used to be called soaps, yeah, exactly for the reason you think, and that word used to mean a 'patsy' all the way through the 80s) but I digress.

* although it's important to note that Israel did very little to help the Jews during the holocaust, of course, it didn't stop it from deciding after the war that it speaks for all Jews (even thought the majority of Jews were not living in Israel at that time) and get mad money from Germany as compensations while treating holocaust survivors generally terrible (in hebrew slang, they used to be called soaps, yeah, exactly for the reason you think, and that word used to mean a 'patsy' all the way through the 80s) but I digress.

This is the typical anti Israeli nonsense that gets thrown around haphazardly. How would Israel prevent the holocaust between 1939-1945? Israel doesn't claim it speaks for "all Jews", total nonsense. The reparations were for stolen property, slave labour and obscene crimes committed by the Germans.

Then you throw in a slur that holocaust survivors were treated terribly in Israel and called "soaps". Some Sabras called holocaust survivors "sabonim" which is slang for coward, not soaps. The evidence it happened is all anecdotal and theres no evidence it was some endemic problem. The idea holocaust survivors were called soaps is frequently recited by neo nazis to demonstrate how degenerate Jews are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom