• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
Hahahaha I think a reverse Diablos is the most likely outcome of the SCOTUS taking the plaintiffs side: the IRS will simply ignore them and continue business as usual. Who's going to stop them? The President? Nope. Congress? Nope. The next President? Sure, let's see which President wants his first action to be taking away millions of peoples health insurance.

The IRS even hinted to this at one point, when the cases were still at the federal district level, with a memo that essentially said "you fuckers can't tell us what to do".

BSsBrolly

Banned
Hahahaha I think a reverse Diablos is the most likely outcome of the SCOTUS taking the plaintiffs side: the IRS will simply ignore them and continue business as usual. Who's going to stop them? The President? Nope. Congress? Nope. The next President? Sure, let's see which President wants his first action to be taking away millions of peoples health insurance.

The IRS even hinted to this at one point, when the cases were still at the federal district level, with a memo that essentially said "you fuckers can't tell us what to do".

Except the IRS doesn't make the rules.. They do what congress tells them to do. People forget that.

ivysaur12

Banned
I mean, I wouldn't give much credence to estimates of the 2016 races made today. There's way too much time and uncertainty. And that's especially true for House races, which are never polled because there are too many.

Let me put it this way: if Hillary Clinton runs against, say, Ted Cruz, she'll get a House majority. The House isn't going to run 20 points behind her. All it takes is a big enough win.

Yeah, I know, and that's probably unfair of me. There are so many X factors. I was just trying to pour water on the fact that it's highly unlikely, at this time, that the Democrats get a majority.

Chichikov

The American people will blame the fact that the market "overall" wasn't "free enough" and there needs to be "less regulation." Meanwhile on an individual item by item basis, they will favor regulation.
Whoever is going to be in the white house is going to own it (or at the very least, own the economic downturn that would follow), no, it's not fair, but that shit cuts both ways when presidents get credits for economic booms that had very little to do with.

But it's hard to know what's going to happen beyond that, I don't think the American public is going to allow another wall street bailout, at least not without bringing the hammer down, hard, I know how the left is going to play it, not sure how the right will.

kehs

Banned
This has been a pet issue of mine that I've been following ever so closely, and today Ezra Klein spells it out as plainly as possible:

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/23/7440131/obamacare-red-states

This is the only positive thing that would come out of the SC voting in favor of the Republican argument. Way to sock it to Obama you stupid fucks.

Why is having these states being throw further into debt whilst depraving their denizens of benefits a "positive thing"?

It's a huge political slap to the people representing the, sure, but fuck that if people are gonna be affected.

If it's Clinton vs. Bush then it becomes a proxy election between Bill and George barring some major screwup on either side. Then all you have to ask is whether the 90s were better than the 00s.

I don't want to say Clinton would have it in the bag but... yeah.

At this point the only thing in debate is just how much Clinton is going to win.

If she's going to win? That ship has sailed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why is having these states being throw further into debt whilst depraving their denizens of benefits a "positive thing"?

It's a huge political slap to the people representing the, sure, but fuck that if people are gonna be affected.

I'd prefer if the Obamacare subsidies are distributed as they currently are. But if that's not going to be the case, then might as well get SOME enjoyment out of this ordeal.

Oblivion

starting to sound like metaphoreus.

No?

I admitted I would prefer if the SC doesn't fuck with anything and keeps the status quo.

But IF they don't do that, well, what else can be done?

You gotta deal with the SC you have, not the SC you wish you had.

Tamanon

Banned
You'd see the quietest Obamacare fix in history passed if the Supreme Court came out against the subsidies, but it would get quickly fixed.

kehs

Banned
No?

I admitted I would prefer if the SC doesn't fuck with anything and keeps the status quo.

But IF they don't do that, well, what else can be done?

You gotta deal with the SC you have, not the SC you wish you had.

I'm not talking about the legality of getting it right.

It just seems like a "lol fuck you red states cause politics".

kehs

Banned
I'm not sure how you would prefer I act in that situation.

People getting less benefits is a bad thing. Whoever they are.

How about "damn, these people are getting fucked by their elected officials" instead of "good news! blue guys won."?

Oblivion

People getting less benefits is a bad thing. Whoever they are.

How about "damn, these people are getting fucked by their elected officials" instead of "good news! blue guys won."?

It's not so much good news but rather, less shitty news.

But how many times do I have to say that I would prefer for that to not happen? I'd rather reward some teatard than punish an innocent democrat.

kehs

Banned
It's not so much good news but rather, less shitty news.

But how many times do I have to say that I would prefer for that to not happen? I'd rather reward some teatard than punish an innocent democrat.

So basically you're Bill O'reilly then?

(I'm just kidding with that last one. Sorry for jumping on that.)

pigeon

Banned

If there's a silver lining here, it's that it would create heavy political pressure to create an exchange in red states, which would probably be good for Democrats. That's literally the topic of the article this discussion was prompted by.

kehs

Banned
If there's a silver lining here, it's that it would create heavy political pressure to create an exchange in red states, which would probably be good for Democrats. That's literally the topic of the article this discussion was prompted by.

I think that's a better outlook, that red states focus on getting the exchanges for their people.

Texas would rather secede than give into the imperial whims of Stalinobama.

5VqK5u6l.jpg

Merry Christmas from Raul Labrador!

Whoever is going to be in the white house is going to own it (or at the very least, own the economic downturn that would follow), no, it's not fair, but that shit cuts both ways when presidents get credits for economic booms that had very little to do with.

But it's hard to know what's going to happen beyond that, I don't think the American public is going to allow another wall street bailout, at least not without bringing the hammer down, hard, I know how the left is going to play it, not sure how the right will.

Never I thought I would see the day when I thought you were being too optimistic about the beliefs of your fellow Americans.

I don't see it playing that way at all. Progressives are outnumbered by conservatives in the U.S. The right will make sure the government takes the blame and not wall street.

ivysaur12

Banned
1000 Years of Darkness Continues

WASHINGTON (AP) — Americans are closing out 2014 on an optimistic note, according to a new Associated Press-Times Square Alliance poll. Nearly half predict that 2015 will be a better year for them than 2014 was, while only 1 in 10 think it will be worse. There's room for improvement: Americans give the year gone by a resounding 'meh.'

Here's what Americans thought of 2014:

GAINS AT HOME, SLIPS ABROAD

On a personal level, about a third (34 percent) think 2014 was better than 2013, while 15 percent say 2014 was worse and half see little difference. Slightly fewer feel their year was a step down from the previous one than said so in 2013, when an AP-Times Square poll found 20 percent thought 2013 was worse than 2012.

Americans are slightly more likely than they were a year ago to believe that the current year was better than the last for the United States— 30 percent say so this year, while 25 percent said so in 2013. On the other hand, Americans are more likely than in the 2013 poll to say this year was worse than last for the world as a whole, with 38 percent saying so now after 30 percent said so a year ago.

THREE STORIES SHARE TOP SPOT

Americans are divided on the most important news event of 2014, with the rise of the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, protests over the killings of black men including Michael Brown and Eric Garner by police officers, and the Ebola outbreak each named by about 1 in 10 Americans. In a separate Associated Press survey of news directors and editors, the killings of unarmed men by police stand out more clearly as the top story, with 22 of 85 respondents choosing it as the top news, about twice as many as the Islamic State or Ebola stories.

Among the public, Democrats are most likely to name the unrest over Brown and Garner's deaths as most important (14 percent), while Republicans are most likely to list the rise of the Islamic State (16 percent). Non-whites are more apt to cite the protests around Brown and Garner's deaths than whites (14 percent among non-whites, 8 percent among whites). The poll was conducted before the shooting deaths of two New York City police officers by a man who threatened retaliation for the police killings of unarmed black men.

Asked separately to rate the importance of 10 key stories, majorities call the expansion of the Islamic State militant group, the Ebola outbreak and the U.S. midterm elections extremely or very important stories. Nearly half rate immigration as that important, while 43 percent say so of the Michael Brown and Eric Garner stories. Only a third think the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the situation between Russia and Ukraine, or the rising number of states with legal same-sex marriage were deeply important stories.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Never I thought I would see the day when I thought you were being too optimistic about the beliefs of your fellow Americans.

I don't see it playing that way at all. Progressives are outnumbered by conservatives in the U.S. The right will make sure the government takes the blame and not wall street.

If this were true then I seriously doubt Obama would have won reelection. They do make a lot more noise though.

Oblivion

Well, isn't this interesting? When it comes to trickle-down economics, is our Republicans learning?

Ohio Gov. John Kasich will roll out “responsible” tax plans that protect against revenue gaps. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Arizona’s new Republican governor are delaying big dreams of nixing the income tax as they face budget shortfalls. And Missouri Republicans, once jealous of their neighbor Kansas’ massive cuts, are thankful they trimmed less.

Call it the Brownback effect.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/gop-learns-lessons-from-brownbacks-tax-scare-113806.html

It's not exactly a full on retreat though. Some still believe in the magic of Reaganomics, they're just saying it needs to be done correctly:

“Kansas did too much too fast, so at this point we’re continuing to look at our tax policy to make sure it’s competitive. But we’re not jumping — not following Kansas,” said Missouri state Sen. Will Kraus, a GOP tax writer who in 2013 pointed to Kansas as the reason tax cuts were needed in the Show Me State.

I suppose this is better than the alternative, which is that we didn't cut enough. But this is probably the most interesting part:

“You can’t promise that everything is going to change overnight,” said Jonathan Williams, top tax adviser at the conservative policy group American Legislative Exchange Council, which lobbies states. Williams believes Brownback’s tax plan will pan out eventually, but he said messaging is key. “It’s going to be a change of incentives over several months and years.”

He said Republicans should tell constituents that “not all tax cuts pay for themselves” and warn about potential revenue shortfalls.

Hahahahaha. Yeah, the bolded's totally gonna happen. While we're at it, used car salesmen should warn their customers that there also may be a good chance their engines will catch on fire.

thefro

The state-level Republican legislators are generally more sane on this sort of thing than the US House Republicans. Most of the ones in red-states are part-timers so they have real jobs and have to face people getting mad at them when the schools don't get funded or the roads suck. Much less likely to believe that the Laffer curve will bring them infinite revenue by cutting taxes.

They're not hanging out at the capitol all the time.

ivysaur12

Banned
The state-level Republican legislators are generally more sane on this sort of thing than the US House Republicans. Most of the ones in red-states are part-timers so they have real jobs and have to face people getting mad at them when the schools don't get funded or the roads suck. Much less likely to believe that the Laffer curve will bring them infinite revenue by cutting taxes.

They're not hanging out at the capitol all the time.

Also, state governments tend to affect the average citizen more than the federal government does.

lol:

Brownback, in 2012 and 2013, signed a two-part tax package exempting 191,000 businesses from income taxes and lowering the top income tax rate for individuals from 6.45 percent to 4.9 percent. It sinks to 3.9 percent by 2018 and even further toward zero each year if revenue grows.

Although income taxes composed almost half of Kansas’ general fund, Brownback said the cuts would grow the economy and attract new business, so that revenue would spring back quickly, essentially paying for the cuts. He had Reagan-era tax guru Arthur Laffer at his back supporting him.

But his plan didn’t pan out. Revenues are way down, and job growth remains below the national average. His own budget director says they may have to stop some of the tax cuts from going into effect, according to a New York Times interview.

LOL:

“I don’t want to say the Laffer theory is disproven, but it’s a difficult time to advance that way in Wisconsin because our revenue numbers aren’t as robust as we need,” said a senior Senate GOP leadership aide, adding that Republicans were disappointed that Walker tax cuts from earlier this year didn’t grow revenue as much as they predicted.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yea but Brownback got re-elected despite his economic policy being an utter disaster in every way. A Republican governor should just realize they can do anything they want and nothing will happen because there's a black guy in the White House.

gcubed

Well, isn't this interesting? When it comes to trickle-down economics, is our Republicans learning?

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/gop-learns-lessons-from-brownbacks-tax-scare-113806.html

It's not exactly a full on retreat though. Some still believe in the magic of Reaganomics, they're just saying it needs to be done correctly:

I suppose this is better than the alternative, which is that we didn't cut enough. But this is probably the most interesting part:

Hahahahaha. Yeah, the bolded's totally gonna happen. While we're at it, used car salesmen should warn their customers that there also may be a good chance their engines will catch on fire.

Some red states are going to be in a world of hurt with the crashing of oil prices

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I hope to god this means there's some actual learning going on at some level of operations here, anywhere up the chain from the constituency to the elected.

‏@StephanieKelton
I've accepted a position as Chief Economist on the Senate Budget Committee.

I would have been cool to have kept the senate.

She is one of the big voices of MMT, aka deficits don't matter

Yea but Brownback got re-elected despite his economic policy being an utter disaster in every way. A Republican governor should just realize they can do anything they want and nothing will happen because there's a black guy in the White House.
It's amazing how batshit the country has gone just because of a black president. There's no reason why Walker, Scott, LePage, Brownback and Snyder should have won reelection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom