• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to deny it's rather puzzling that the US did not participate on any noteworthy level. It's the type of unforced error this administration has perfected over the last six years.
Unforced error? Its an intentional choice and people won't care in two days.

Why does he need to be there?

HylianTom

Banned
Any moment now.. c'mon, SCOTUS..
(Annd nothing today. Louisiana case turned down, next day for action on 6h circuit appeal is Friday)

I was unaware that conservatives were so keen on Eric Holder being the representative for the US at international events. Good to know!

I would think the president or vice-president attending something makes security preparation a nightmare, particularly anything to do with terrorism. But, I'm sure it's just because Obama doesn't care. He probably didn't even bother to call from the golf course.

Hm, McCaskill announcing plans for 2016 within the next hour.

There's been a lot of speculation she wants to run for governor instead of holding down her Senate seat.

Wilsongt

This is why people should listen to me:

(ivysaur also mentioned it.)

giphy.gif

Mike M

Nick N
How did Cruz win a chairmanship? I thought he was in the doghouse with the GOP leadership for fomenting the shutdown and giving Reid the means to get some last minute appointments in.

Teggy

How did Cruz win a chairmanship? I thought he was in the doghouse with the GOP leadership for fomenting the shutdown and giving Reid the means to get some last minute appointments in.

Boehner probably couldn't resist trolling the Dems by putting him in charge of a committee on science.

Yea considering the Missouri legislature is deep red and is ripe for the picking by true believers (all it takes is another "talk moderate, act conservative" governor like Walker, Pence, or McCrory) I'm sure McCaskill would probably rather deal with the headache of running for re-election than the headache of being governor.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, they picked Ted Cruz to head up the subcommittee on space, science, and competitiveness?

WAT

Wait, they picked Ted Cruz to head up the subcommittee on space, science, and competitiveness?

WAT

BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME BOTH PARTIES ARE THE SAME

WAT

The GOP trolls science. Just accept it.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 17m17 minutes ago
BREAKING: Judge rules South Dakota same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional, stays ruling pending appeal.

Another one bites the dust...

edit:

BREAKING: Rep. Paul Ryan tells @NBCNews: “I have decided that I am not going to run for president in 2016” http://nbcnews.to/1KDfm4X

Yea considering the Missouri legislature is deep red and is ripe for the picking by true believers (all it takes is another "talk moderate, act conservative" governor like Walker, Pence, or McCrory) I'm sure McCaskill would probably rather deal with the headache of running for re-election than the headache of being governor.
Vetoes can be overridden by simple majorities, too.

The only benefit I could see to it is building her profile for national ambitions (sure I guess) and staying in-state.

Ted Cruz to oversee senate subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness, providing him with an oversight role on NASA. Someone tell me this isn't as bad of news as it sounds?:(

lol christie. can't keep his hands clean.

A senior New Jersey Congressman is calling on the Department of Justice to investigate the state's Republican governor, Chris Christie, after it was revealed last week that he and his top appointee to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey disclosed private travel records of a U.S. senator in an apparent effort to smear him. News that the disclosures may have violated state privacy law and Port Authority policy was first reported Thursday by International Business Times.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nj-congressm...ris-christie-over-e-zpass-disclosures-1781092

Milabrega

This part is probably even more damning:

Days after the hearing, Christie himself disclosed more details of Lautenberg's E-ZPass records at a press conference. A year later, Baroni separately disclosed details of E-ZPass data about the constituents of state lawmakers who were interrogating him during a hearing about lane closures on the George Washington Bridge, which links New Jersey and New York City.

Accessing and using data of constituents, critics and you can be damn sure they were doing it for journalists who were covering the bridgegate story too.

Snake

My personal insider source says that Gavin Newsom was a nightmare to work with as Mayor of SF, and there are some real horror stories about his personal life (some of which have probably gone mainstream by now. So I'm biased, but as long as he doesn't make it a Presidential nomination I'll be satisfied.

Harris potentially levelling up is welcome news though.

ivysaur12

Banned
My personal insider source says that Gavin Newsom was a nightmare to work with as Mayor of SF, and there are some real horror stories about his personal life (some of which have probably gone mainstream by now. So I'm biased, but as long as he doesn't make it a Presidential nomination I'll be satisfied.

Harris potentially leveling up is welcome news though.

My old boss knew him really well. Guy's a fucking nightmare with a million skeletons in his closet.

Ecotic

Kamala Harris will run for Boxer's Senate seat. So.

Fuck. I really don't want Newsom to be our governor.
What's wrong with Newsom? Besides what's mentioned above, is he not as liberal as California could elect? I'm trying to get knowledgeable on California politics.

ivysaur12

Banned
What's wrong with Newsom? Besides what's mentioned above, is he not as liberal as California could elect? I'm trying to get knowledgeable on California politics.

There isn't anything technically wrong with Newsom. Just, given the breadth of Democrats in California, it's nice that you can vote for someone instead of just because they're the only Democrat running, or the only progressive running.

No, he's just a general shitstain of a human who loves his blow and hookers, and doesn't really care much about policy as much as he cares about being a politician. Which, sure, aren't all politicians like that, really? Yes. But he's a particular breed of rich asshole who wants to be in charge. And why vote for that when you have other Democrats who have the same progressive credentials but aren't outward douchenozzles?

Also:

B7MWyc9CUAAeqN1.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
There's rumors that one reason he ditched the Mayor's office to run for Governor was not simply political ambitions but because that closet was getting too full and he needed to upgrade to a bigger one.

I remember when he was considered the "right-wing" candidate for Mayor in 2003 and people were afraid he was going to destroy the cities progressiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom