• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

There hasn't been a politician as good at playing the press since Reagan, the stories some of the older reporters who covered him at the time tell sound a lot like the ones who have written about Trump tell.

Also, he's just announced a huge ad buy in the early states. He said he's like 35 million under budget right now and is going for a blitz.

This article is not going to happen is it? Written 2 days after the 2012 election.

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/back-to-the-future-clinton-vs-bush-083550

ivysaur12

Banned
Trump's rally schedule and hires are already expanding past the early states. He just hired his Michigan director and is doing a rally on 1/2 in Mississippi. Both of these are March 8th states. Michigan is 56+3 potential delegates. He previously hired a full team in Oklahoma, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Virginia, North Carolina, etc. etc.

He's thinking waaaaay past Nevada and has been for some time.

NeoXChaos

Trump's rally schedule and hires are already expanding past the early states. He just hired his Michigan director and is doing a rally on 1/2 in Mississippi. Both of these are March 8th states. Michigan is 56+3 potential delegates. He previously hired a full team in Oklahoma, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Virginia, North Carolina, etc. etc.

He's thinking waaaaay past Nevada and has been for some time.

Chris Calizza mentioned that winner take all state make up around 22% of all delegates and the dark secret to watch is the delegates apportioned by congressional. Reason being candidates could not win states but do well in districts to prevent anyone from reaching the magic number.

Ex: Kasich stays in and wins OH a winner take all.

ivysaur12

Banned
Chris Calizza mentioned that winner take all state make up around 22% of all delegates and the dark secret to watch is the delegates apportioned by congressional. Reason being candidates could not win states but do well in districts to prevent anyone from reaching the magic number.

Ex: Kasich stays in and wins OH a winner take all.

I just don't think there's going to be enough money to keep these guys going until then.

NeoXChaos

While you buy the drinks I'll still be debating leaving GAF for a week when Hillary clinches the nomination.

My body can only take so much salt in one day. Btw I get dibs on that thread. Sorry Cerium and Cheebo.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/santorum-says-ted-cruz-isnt-a-real-social-conservative
Rick Santorum on Monday accused his opponent Ted Cruz of not being a social conservative.

The former senator from Pennsylvania told NewsmaxTV’s Steve Malzberg Show that social conservative votes are going to Cruz and Republican front-runner Donald Trump, neither of which, he said, “are particularly strong social conservatives.”

“Donald Trump has never been a social conservative up until the last few months, and Ted Cruz takes the position, very much a 10th Amendment, states rights, which is, you know, very much Rand Paul, Ron Paul position,” Santorum said.

“They’re being sold, Ted Cruz says, ‘Oh, I’m this social conservative,’” Santorum continued, saying people haven’t had a chance to actually look the candidates positions on social issues.

Citing an article in the Iowa Republican which declared Cruz “False Prophet Of Social Conservatism,” the former senator said many would look at Cruz and say, “what a minute, he says he’s these things, but he’s not.”

“It’s basically that he’s not the social conservative that he’s portraying himself to be and is the answer is he’s not,” added Santorum, citing a Politico story where Cruz said on a secret tape at a fundraiser that he wouldn’t make fighting same-sex marriage a top three priority in his administration.

“If people want to do drugs in Colorado, it’s fine with him,” said Santorum. “If people want have different kind of marriages, it’s fine with him. He doesn’t agree with it. If you want to have an abortion, it’s fine with him, he doesn’t agree with it, but he’s not gonna fight it. That’s not what people are looking for. They’re looking for someone who has a very clear vision of what’s right and what’s wrong and be able to lay that vision out for the American people.”

If Bernie loses, we'll see epic meltdowns. (I'm saying if, because I'm being tactful...) But, it will be not because the voters rejected Bernie, because that would be impossible. It'll be because of DWS, the DNC, the media blackout, 3rd Way Sell outs, et al. I'm eagerly awaiting the excuses. Trust me. I got good at them in 2007/8.

I mentioned one of the people that volunteers with the counties Democratic party is a huge Bernie fan. (This is the girl who cornered our mayoral candidate and harassed him for 30 minutes when he brought pizzas to our phone bank!) At the holiday meet and greet we had, she spent a good 15 minutes letting us all know how damn stupid we were for supporting the DNC and the Democratic Party....at a Democratic event. The good news is, no one's seen her before this election. Once Bernie loses, she'll probably disappear again. However, she's now moved from "Bernie is definitely 1000% going to win guys, for real" to "If Bernie manages to win..." of course, the blame is with the DNC, but it's progress!

Eh, I lived through the Nader Wars of the post-2000 election. The Sanders meltdown will be entertaining, but not actually mean anything.

I just wonder who will have the bigger meltdown - Sander fans when he endorses Hillary, Republican's in general when they lose to Hillary and it's not even close, or Witcher 3 / Bloodborne / Undertale fans when their favored game doesn't win every award in history?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, I lived through the Nader Wars of the post-2000 election. The Sanders meltdown will be entertaining, but not actually mean anything.

I just wonder who will have the bigger meltdown - Sander fans when he endorses Hillary, Republican's in general when they lose to Hillary and it's not even close, or Witcher 3 / Bloodborne / Undertale fans when their favored game doesn't win every award in history?

The GOP loss in the general will give us the best salt pile since they'll do everything imaginable to convince themselves they're winning despite what all the facts are saying.

If Bernie loses, we'll see epic meltdowns. (I'm saying if, because I'm being tactful...) But, it will be not because the voters rejected Bernie, because that would be impossible. It'll be because of DWS, the DNC, the media blackout, 3rd Way Sell outs, et al. I'm eagerly awaiting the excuses. Trust me. I got good at them in 2007/8.

I mentioned one of the people that volunteers with the counties Democratic party is a huge Bernie fan. (This is the girl who cornered our mayoral candidate and harassed him for 30 minutes when he brought pizzas to our phone bank!) At the holiday meet and greet we had, she spent a good 15 minutes letting us all know how damn stupid we were for supporting the DNC and the Democratic Party....at a Democratic event. The good news is, no one's seen her before this election. Once Bernie loses, she'll probably disappear again. However, she's now moved from "Bernie is definitely 1000% going to win guys, for real" to "If Bernie manages to win..." of course, the blame is with the DNC, but it's progress!

eh, these people are always around. they vote for cult of personality over any real policy or strategic goals. Bernie represents "radical change" because "the system sucks" and not much else.

Bernie will inevitably concede and back hillary, making the case that they share most policy goals, but differ only in strategy. most will fall in line, the remainder were never actually going to vote in the first place and just wanted an outlet to vent.

wash, rinse, repeat for 2024.

Cerium

The nice thing about incumbency is that you get to skip the primary.

Obama in 2010-11 was chilling in the White House killing Bin Laden and shit.

gaugebozo

This article is not going to happen is it? Written 2 days after the 2012 election.

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/back-to-the-future-clinton-vs-bush-083550
"If we are going to bring the Republican Party back to its glory, it is going to take a leader who understands the diversity and demographics of this country and is willing to show the leadership to stand up to the extremes of the party,” said Texas-based bundler Fred Zeidman, one of his party’s major donors, without referring specifically to Bush."

I'd say no.

NeoXChaos

Dan MericaVerified account
‏@danmericaCNN
Kathleen Kelley, a businesswoman in northern New Hampshire, opens a Clinton event w/ this: "Unlike Obama, Hillary respects rural America."

Clinton fights to reclaim New Hampshire
The state that breathed life into Hillary Clinton's 2008 campaign is proving to be a tough climb this time.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-new-hampshire-217213#ixzz3vlsHt5vX

Come on Hillary. Finish the job in New Hampshire.

btw B-dubs and Ivysaur12. You both were for Bernie at the beginning of the year and now with Hillary? What changed?

I can't believe anyone can say "The reason I support Donald Trump...." with a straight face.

OH MY GOD....

"I brought my Bible. Evangelicals!"

This is a real thing. He's now throwing out word salad about Chrstianity.I've had three grapey vodka cocktails (that I made up myself). This is just amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-new-hampshire-217213#ixzz3vlsHt5vX

Come on Hillary. Finish the job in New Hampshire.

btw B-dubs and Ivysaur12. You both were for Bernie at the beginning of the year and now with Hillary? What changed?

I was? I remember not giving much of a shit since Hillary would win anyway and was hoping Bernie might push her a bit to the left but that's about it.

I can't believe anyone can say "The reason I support Donald Trump...." with a straight face.

OH MY GOD....

"I brought my Bible. Evangelicals!"

This is a real thing. He's now throwing out word salad about Chrstianity.I've had three grapey vodka cocktails (that I made up myself). This is just amazing.

Spectacular!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Poor Jeb. A punching bag for Trump. Talk about getting trashed in the mud.

At this point he needs to really switch to Rubio. Jeb! was the epitome of Establishment, but has tanked so much he is not even worth mentioning anymore.

Cerium

Poor Jeb. A punching bag for Trump. Talk about getting trashed in the mud.

I've gotta say, there's something satisfying about watching Jeb getting straight bullied by Trump.

Some good ones from the last debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdIri5ji68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQgrOV27X0

When Jeb gets drummed out with like 3% of the vote in New Hampshire I want a live feed of Bush Sr.

5591421910_9f4b2f07ea.jpg

This might be the four...okay five cocktails talking, but I really think Trump could do this. I listened to that entire rally. I can see how he appeals to low information, angry voters. The interesting thing is, I think some of these angry white people could have been Bernie people...but they love a heaping of xenophobia thrown into the mix. Maybe it's the six cocktails talking, but...dude is actually good at this. I mean, I disagree with everything he spews out of his pie hole, but he knows how to sell a pile of shit to a room full of
Joe the
plumbers.

I still love his attempts at wooing evangelicals by calling Jesus "just great" and trotting out his Bible. That made my night. I spilled my seventh cocktail everywhere....

And I'm going through his Twitter right now. He's actually attacking the GOP for trying to restrict new voters in Virginia. Oh my lord, this is amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This might be the four...okay five cocktails talking, but I really think Trump could do this. I listened to that entire rally. I can see how he appeals to low information, angry voters. The interesting thing is, I think some of these angry white people could have been Bernie people...but they love a heaping of xenophobia thrown into the mix. Maybe it's the six cocktails talking, but...dude is actually good at this. I mean, I disagree with everything he spews out of his pie hole, but he knows how to sell a pile of shit to a room full of
Joe the
plumbers.

I still love his attempts at wooing evangelicals by calling Jesus "just great" and trotting out his Bible. That made my night. I spilled my seventh cocktail everywhere....

The two things Trump knows how to do are the work and audience and work the press. Had he made this run 20 years ago we'd be talking about President Trump and the nuclear eradication of the Middle East. We're just lucky he didn't realize his skills would translate so well to politics until the country as a whole became (hopefully) unwilling to put up with his brand of insane racism.

The two things Trump knows how to do are the work and audience and work the press. Had he made this run 20 years ago we'd be talking about President Trump and the nuclear eradication of the Middle East. We're just lucky he didn't realize his skills would translate so well to politics until the country as a whole became (hopefully) unwilling to put up with his brand of insane racism.

It's the other way around really. Trump picked the perfect year to run because any time in the past the party establishment would have been strong enough to crush him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's the other way around really. Trump picked the perfect year to run because any time in the past the party establishment would have been strong enough to crush him.

I dunno, I'm not so sure he would have gone as blatantly insane had he done this 20 years ago. Really, the only thing the establishment objects to about his candidacy is that he's refused to use dog whistles and is instead saying all the shit they only imply. If he didn't go quite as far I doubt they'd give a shit.

Oh, I agree. He's really, really good at this. If he weren't such a vile, xenophobic, sexist ass hat, he'd be dangerous. I think, demographically, his racism is good for us now. (I mean, it's bad for us as a nation, but I mean removing that type of logic and reality).

Also, there are people on his Twitter that are posting images of him putting Bernie in a gas chamber. I mean...Lord help us all. I feel vile for wanting this man to get the nomination.

Edit: I think you're both right, actually. Trump would have tailored his bat shit rhetoric for whenever he ran. He was smart enough to see that he could grab the Tea Party people, add some extra racism, and run with it. If it fit him to be a moderate, he would have done it. He was smart enough to see that the establishment couldn't do crap. Had he run in 1996, he'd have been a Rockefeller Republican/Mainstreet Republican.

I dunno, I'm not so sure he would have gone as blatantly insane had he done this 20 years ago. Really, the only thing the establishment objects to about his candidacy is that he's refused to use dog whistles and is instead saying all the shit they only imply. If he didn't go quite as far I doubt they'd give a shit.

So 20 years ago you think he'd beat Bob Dole and overcome all the party machinery backing the next man up?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So 20 years ago you think he'd beat Bob Dole and overcome all the party machinery backing the next man up?

Honestly, I dunno. Few politicians are as good at playing the press as he is and like I said, the establishment probably wouldn't have given a shit so long as he didn't go full racist.

Dole was a sacrificial lamb in 1996. I think Buchanan would have kept the role of batshit 2016 Trump. I could see Trump running in 96 as an alternative to the corruption in DC. I don't know how successful he would have been, but the 96 primary would have been easy pickings for him. There was no real alternative to Dole.

User 406

Banned
Retro, you so fickle, Jindal to Carson to Bernie? I mean even Don Quixote was able to decide on a windmill.

Fetishizing lost causes is not ok.

brilliant

AgQV9Wd.png

MiDWFDn.png

7PnGgic.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom