• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
V2m5kPQ.gif

This is so cringe. Holy shit.

This is like those "I'm hip, kids!" kind of attempts at being relevant.

Why, Jeb!? :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Figure maybe some of you guys might like this Q and A about some issues with Robert Reich. I of course read it for the basic income bit, but I don't agree with Reich's bluntness about it..

Some highlights

I don't really disagree with the first thing you quoted. It's pretty obvious Bernie wasn't ready for the level of hype he started getting. He probably figured it would play out like 2008, with a few really strong candidates slugging it out as he talked about his message and eventually dropped after losing NH. But its more like an incumbent election so here we are.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wonder if Senator Scott Brown or Todd Akin will be at the RNC.

Hmm.

I agree with WI/IL, they seem basically interchangeable in fact. WI isn't as blue as IL, but Johnson is a worse incumbent plus he's going up against a former senator.

I'm also tempted to say FL is more likely to flip than OH on the virtue that FL is an open seat and OH is not.

Strickland has won a statewide election before. Neither Murphy nor Grayson have, hence Ohio above Florida.

Toomey is fucking done. McConnell's majority is fucking done. The next Senate is going to nuke the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees and confirm probably 2-3 appointees for Hillary with 51 votes.

The DNC truly believes that Toomey is not done unless there is a wave election FWIW.

params7

Banned
This is so cringe. Holy shit.

This is like those "I'm hip, kids!" kind of attempts at being relevant.

Why, Jeb!? :(

I feel bad for him tbh. He lacks the charm of Dubya.. Jeb couldn't pull off anything like this in a million years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

But he really wants to be President, and he can't see himself losing to Donald in debate shootouts. He was raised, and destined to be President. His father and brother were one. He was written to get the nomination with the hundreds of millions of super pac money like Hillary on the other end. Then Trump comes out of nowhere and shits over his lifegoal. But at least Jeb still has age on his side, he'll try again.

Foffy

Banned
I don't really disagree with the first thing you quoted. It's pretty obvious Bernie wasn't ready for the level of hype he started getting. He probably figured it would play out like 2008, with a few really strong candidates slugging it out as he talked about his message and eventually dropped after losing NH. But its more like an incumbent election so here we are.

I agree. When I first saw him announce his run, I thought "yes, he's smart and usually on point, but he will be an unheard voice in this system."

Little did I know he'd get some of the most packed places to hear him talk. This is not to say I think that will make him win, but he's very easily talked about issues he cares about, and thousands and potentially millions of people give a shit about them, too.

Toomey is fucking done. McConnell's majority is fucking done. The next Senate is going to nuke the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees and confirm probably 2-3 appointees for Hillary with 51 votes.
Yeah I hope McConnell's enjoyed his Senate majority seeing as how he's accomplished all of jack shit with it. I say that even knowing he'll be Majority Leader for another year, because nothing major is going to get done by a GOP Congress and a Dem president in a presidential year.

My biggest hope for the next president is that the House majority is considerably more reasonable. Even if that's not a Democratic majority (although that would certainly be preferable), just enough Republicans willing to actually govern and legislate that some of the more middle-ground reforms that Democrats have been pushing can be achieved. Single-payer? No, but Obama's immigration and education proposals? Maybe. Perhaps Ryan will start seeing himself as the Republican Tip O'Neill.

They did pass a budget, to give them some credit.

I just don't get why we have to lurch from crisis to crisis. Brinksmanshap politics have been the single most lasting legacy of the Boehner Congress. It really doesn't have to be this way.

Honestly, Reid was for the most part an awful majority leader, just terrible. He got some good trolling in towards the end, but his cowardice doomed the early Obama administration like Theon doomed Robb Stark when it was looking like the good guys could really win in A Clash of Kings.

Note: I recently re-read A Clash of Kings and was amazed at how the feelings I was getting as everything was going right for Robb echoed what I felt in the first half of 2009.

Edit: And Rahm. Fuck that guy. Horrible pick for a chief of staff, guy fucked the Obama administration.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wasn't the first game Mario showed up in the DK arcade game?

I mean, yes that's true, but DK and Mario became their own separate series. It's like if someone said Smash Bros. was a sequel Zelda cause they both got Link in it (and Zelda).

What's going on here? That's Trump's book, isn't it?

I can't tell precisely, but yeah that's what it looks like.

Idk bliv, I have to take issue with you here. The arcade release of donkey kong was a title that featured the first use of rudimentary concepts that would later define smb games, like platforming, as well as mario functioning as the protagonist. Calling it a predecessor to super mario 3 is not so wrong as you claim. Also, this article was written in the late eighties or early nineties, before donkey kong country came along and cemented dk as a sepearate entity in his own right.

Yeah I can't sleep right now .. So what

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Idk bliv, I have to take issue with you here. The arcade release of donkey kong was a title that featured the first use of rudimentary concepts that would later define smb games, like platforming, as well as mario functioning as the protagonist. Calling it a predecessor to super mario 3 is not so wrong as you claim. Also, this article was written in the late eighties or early nineties, before donkey kong country came along and cemented dk as a sepearate entity in his own right.

Yeah I can't sleep right now .. So what

ah, balls. For some reason I totally forgot that the DKC series didn't come out until 4 years later.

Still though, it's weird to reference the original DK when talking about SMB3, when you already had 2 (arguably 3, Super Mario games right before it).

Jerry Seinfeld couldn't even keep a girlfriend after she caught him picking his nose. Jeb's chances at the presidency are fucking done. No way he lives this down. Perception plays an unfairly large role, but it's important as all fuck. Trump has reduced Jeb to a joke candidate.

Jeb just shot himself in the foot etc.

For people of a certain age, Donkey Kong would have been better known than SMB3 at that time. And more people might know the names of both but not realize they were related.

They did pass a budget, to give them some credit.

I just don't get why we have to lurch from crisis to crisis. Brinksmanshap politics have been the single most lasting legacy of the Boehner Congress. It really doesn't have to be this way.

Honestly, Reid was for the most part an awful majority leader, just terrible. He got some good trolling in towards the end, but his cowardice doomed the early Obama administration like Theon doomed Robb Stark when it was looking like the good guys could really win in A Clash of Kings.

Note: I recently re-read A Clash of Kings and was amazed at how the feelings I was getting as everything was going right for Robb echoed what I felt in the first half of 2009.

Edit: And Rahm. Fuck that guy. Horrible pick for a chief of staff, guy fucked the Obama administration.
Not sure I buy Obama as Robb. Obama is a pragmatist, he's never really been beholden to honor or some over arching sense of specific justice. More often than not he's willing to compromise and sell out. Whereas Robb's honor leads him down a dangerous path.

TBH if Obama is anyone he's Doran Martell. Highly pragmatic, not prone to rash decisions, dithers, perceived as weak by enemies and allies alike yet. All while holding a long view of history and strategy which puts him in great position to achieve what he wants.

(Doran is also in a loveless marriage)

HylianTom

Banned
Marco Rubio’s big problem — and his party’s
On one hand, it’s understandable that the Rubio campaign would try to make a big deal out of Gowdy’s support, since Republican politicians have been stingy with endorsements this year and Gowdy is well-liked among his colleagues on Capitol Hill. But when Trump dismissed the endorsement by saying that Gowdy’s Benghazi hearings were “a total disaster,” you could almost hear Republican voters nodding in agreement. The special committee was just one more iteration of the pattern that has Republican voters so disgusted with their Washington leadership: touted as the vehicle to bring down Hillary Clinton, it ended up backfiring and doing nothing but make Republicans look foolish. So once again, Capitol Hill Republicans overpromised and showed their constituents that they’re ineffectual. It’s hard to imagine that too many base voters, in Iowa or anywhere else, are going to say, “Well, if Trey Gowdy likes Marco Rubio, that’s good enough for me.”
Holy hell, he nailed it. They sold Gowdy as a T-1000-like assassin, deftly capable of bringing down Hillary.. and she ended-up making him look like a sweaty, glistening Barney Fife.

And I got to this part and immediately thought of our own SourShoes:
If you’re a Rubio supporter, you’re probably frustrated with the fact that your party’s base seems stubbornly unwilling to recognize Rubio’s obvious advantages for the general election. By now, a vigorous debate about electability should have been in full swing, with Republican voters trying to determine which candidate would have the greatest appeal to independent voters and do best against Hillary Clinton. But that discussion has been pretty quiet, for the simple reason that the voters don’t seem to care very much. They’re angry about the state of the country and they’re fed up with their party’s leadership, so telling them that Rubio has more crossover potential than Cruz isn’t going to be all that persuasive.

Tarkus

Marco Rubio’s big problem — and his party’s

And I got to this part and immediately thought of our own SourShoes:
Yup, that echos my sentiments.

Fucking Kasich, Jeb, and the other scrubs need to drop and get behind Rubio to defeat Trump, because he's the only one who can beat HRC in the GE. But like ivysaur said, they have no incentive to drop this early. There's a surge left in Rubio's campaign, but it needs to be happening now.

Edit 2: That Jeb gif is so staged. What a dork. He knows he read that book.

Edit 3: need hangover relief. Any ideas?

That maybe true but this is a race, not a coronation. Nobody is going to give this to Rubio, he has to earn it. And thus far he hasn't don't anything to suggest he's the best candidate or wants it the most. Furthermore I'd argue that if the other establishment candidates dropped out and endorsed Rubio it could do more harm than good. This is a very anti establishment electorate, and nothing would generate a backlash more than Rubio being crowned "the establishment candidate" before a single vote has been cast. These people don't like being told what to do...

Rubio should spend his time questioning the conservative credentials of fellow establishment candidates. He can't out conservative Cruz. He has to take out Jeb and Kaisch.

HylianTom

Banned
Yup, that echos my sentiments.
If nothing's working by the time the next debate happens, if I were Rubio I'd make an open numbers argument to the voters.

"When you get a chance, take a good, long look at that map. How do we get to 270? Who among us is uniquely positioned to get us there?" Etc etc..

Trump, to his credit, seems to get the fact that, if a voter is paying attention to this, he/she is also probably aware of the game aspect of this process. It's why we see him bragging about winning certain states, leading in polls, etc. Politicians usually avoid openly talking about the game aspect, even though a large portion of what the voters are reading and focusing-upon. His bringing-up the topic repeatedly is probably a part of why voters are finding Trump more appealing.. almost like he's speaking their language.

Edit:
Hangover?

Coffee and excedrin, along with a steamy shower. I can usually count the number of drinks I take per year on both hands, but that combo worked well for me in college.

Tarkus

Trump is going to have his work cut out for him if he's going to beat Cruz in Iowa.
TRUST TED --> TRUSTED

He just tweeted that he's about to drop big dough in early states.
kAma0S4.jpg

I hope one of his attack ads goes too far and loses IA for him, but then I would lose points for my team. I want that epic meltdown for being a loser though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I'm confused as to what Donald is trying to do with his attacks on Bill Clinton. Not only is Bill Clinton a beloved public figure by most people not on the far right, he's also the best politician in our country over the past 20 years. His speech at the DNC was absolutely amazing.

It's a really, really bizarre political move to make. If he thinks most people wouldn't want Bill back in the White House, I think he's probably sorely mistaken.

I guess I'm confused as to what Donald is trying to do with his attacks on Bill Clinton. Not only is Bill Clinton a beloved public figure by most people not on the far right, he's also the best politician in our country over the past 20 years. His speech at the DNC was absolutely amazing.

Trump is incapable of not attacking people when they challenge him. The whole 'schlonged' controversy must have convinced him that going after HRC directly didn't work so now he's bashing Bill. Frankly the more Trump goes after the Clintons the better Hillary looks.

HylianTom

Banned
What would the race be like today if Trump and Bush were not in it?
I'm torn.

Would the establishment have lined-up early behind Rubio?

Or would Jeb's absence from the race have created an opening for Mitt to return?

Either way, I think Cruz would've run as the outsider, billing himself as the one whom the establishment hates.

It's a really, really bizarre political move to make. If he thinks most people wouldn't want Bill back in the White House, I think he's probably sorely mistaken.
I doubt Bill Clinton is beloved by far right. The present day Strumpets hate everything washington. They are actually a sequel of the Buchananites of 96 with all the insane washinton hate rhetoric, which focused all the problems towards Clinton (and Dole). Trump is exciting that segment of the GOP electorate again.

Teggy

I doubt Bill Clinton is beloved by far right. The present day Strumpets hate everything washington. They are actually a sequel of the Buchananites of 96 with all the insane washinton hate rhetoric, which focused all the problems towards Clinton (and Dole). Trump is exciting that segment of the GOP electorate again.

He said everyone not on the far right.

I'm pretty puzzled by the Clinton thing. Trump seems to think that by highlighting Bills past missteps it will paint Hillary as anti-woman for staying with him. He'd probably be better served by trying to prove they have a sham marriage (which is something I'm morbidly curious about, although it wouldn't have any impact on my opinion personally)

He said everyone not on the far right.

I'm pretty puzzled by the Clinton thing. Trump seems to think that by highlighting Bills past missteps it will paint Hillary as anti-woman for staying with him. He'd probably be better served by trying to prove they have a sham marriage (which is something I'm morbidly curious about, although it wouldn't have any impact on my opinion personally)
My bad. I still doubt he is loved by the Trumpet crowd though.

User1608

Banned
:eek:
lol
Lol.
Trump is incapable of not attacking people when they challenge him. The whole 'schlonged' controversy must have convinced him that going after HRC directly didn't work so now he's bashing Bill. Frankly the more Trump goes after the Clintons the better Hillary looks.
Yep. It's going to be hilarious watching him attempt to crack Hillary next year if he's the nominee.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I feel a little bad for McConnell. Obviously he is a shithead, and I don't agree with him on anything, but he really did want to show the country that republicans can govern. Adult republicans. He was able to do some things that Reid could not. The personal animosity between Reid and McConnell is tiresome. I am glad Reid will be gone and McConnell will be out of power.

I feel a little bad for McConnell. Obviously he is a shithead, and I don't agree with him on anything, but he really did want to show the country that republicans can govern. Adult republicans. He was able to do some things that Reid could not. The personal animosity between Reid and McConnell is tiresome. I am glad Reid will be gone and McConnell will be out of power.

Didn't he drop the "our job is to deny Obama a second term" bomb?

He's only interested in governing by comparison to the hardcore loonies the Republicans have been electing lately.

ivysaur12

Banned
I do think McConnell wants to govern. On his terms, of course, but I do think there was a genuine desire there. Reid has much more trollish tendencies.

McConnell is moreso setting the table for quick, prolonged legislative victory once a republican takes the White House. I don't think he's concerned about governing right now, he's just keeping the lights on.

Reid reigning with an iron fist wasn't healthy but let's be real: he's very good at what he does, and things would be better off if Obama listened to him more. Reid knew Olympia Snowe was dicking everyone around on healthcare, he warned Obama not to negotiate over the debt ceiling in 2011, he didn't want to concede anything on the eve of the Bush tax cuts expiring, etc.

Why? What is it about what he's done that sets the table for anything?

The various Obama-vetoed bills that will likely be revived and quickly rammed through if a republican. For instance the recent reconciliation Obamacare repeal. It would make sense to get that stuff out the way early, and then move to governing.

It's pretty clear there will be no repercussions for repealing Obamacare so why not shitcan it, if you're a republican president? You get what you vote for, and the poor have proven they don't value the law enough to defend it.

Dragon

Banned

I think poor people wouldn't want Bill in the White House. Since he royally fucked them last time.

Maledict

I think people forget that the main reason Reid started dicking McConnell around was because McConnell lied to his face. They did a deal to keep the filibuster, and within days the Republicans had basically torn it up once the moment to end the filibuster was passed.

McConnell was not interested in any form of governing, *at all*, whilst they were in the minority. He held an incredibly tight grip on the party to prevent a single Republican voting with Obama on anything, and from the very first day said his job was to get rid of Obama.

McConnell was like that from day one after 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom