• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

220px-2015-03-08_Chef_Evening_Donna_Hutto_Edwards_%26_John_Bel_Edwards_1_cr_en.jpg

one more week tom. one more week. I can't wait.

Foffy

Banned
I'm actually kinda excited to see this.

I see he still has to deal with the "it costs HOW much?!" shit that The Washington Post made, especially about the healthcare plans. That ignorance becoming part of the public consciousness might outright kill his plans, even if they're accountable.

I would rather things be slightly more costly in terms of a budget if it planned to try and axe the have/not not bullshit health care already is, and kill the exploitation Americans genuinely suffer through with the prices they're conned into paying.

NeoXChaos

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/u...ilds-iowa-ground-operation.html?smid=tw-share

The recipe for a Sanders upset in Iowa on Feb. 1 calls for a large turnout of voters under 45 and those at the lower end of the economic scale, appealing to their anger at Wall Street, the influence of money in politics and the hollowing-out of the working class.

He will need that enthusiasm because younger and economically struggling voters are historically less likely to caucus. Even in 2008, when Mr. Obama won the caucuses with an outsize share of younger voters, only 23 percent of Democratic caucusgoers were under 30.

==

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-south/?postshare=6601451529132081&tid=ss_tw

Inevitable realignment or not, there's probably some blame for Democrats to go around. Farrier says she thinks all this should be a wake up call for the Democratic Party, which has struggled to bridge the urban-rural divide in heavily rural states like Kentucky and hasn't really found a way to reach across the cultural divides that separate former Southern Democrats with today's Northern ones.

"What has the Democratic Party done for poor, conservative Evangelical white people?" Farrier said. "And the answer is not much. On God, guns and gays, poor, white Evangelical conservatives would say the Democratic Party walked away from them, and not the other way around."

Yet another factor in Democrats' struggles in the south: Obama's unpopularity outside those East Coast Democratic enclaves. A Kentucky Democrat is no Massachusetts Democrat, and Obama isn't particularly liked in some Kentucky Democratic circles.

In announcing his switch to the Republican Party, Rep. Gooch cited the president's "radical agenda" on environmental regulations and gun control as reason to leave.

The president is arguably in line with the rest of the Democratic Party on these issues, but for more conservative Kentucky Democrats, it may have been a step too far.

"There is this hatred of the president," Farrier said. "It is very real, and it's hard to imagine that it will be easily recoverable."

One thing's for certain: Democratic control of Kentucky won't be easily recoverable, at least not until the next major political realignment.

Pete D’Alessandro, Mr. Sanders’s Iowa campaign coordinator, compared his field team to the Continental Army taking on the British Redcoats.

“We don’t have a roomful of kids saying, ‘If I do this well maybe I’ll be working in the State Department next year,’” he said. “They’re not motivated by that.”
giphy.gif

Lexad

I concur. Hillary should be worried that 21 million of her 37 million came from huge fundraisers in Q4. That leaves 16 million from the common folk. Bernie doubled that from his common folk. Will the unpassionate supporters of Hillary who have not donated step up and vote? Does Bernie's supporters who haven't given outnumber Hillary's? Probably so. Bernie is winning on both metrics. The only hope Hillary has is the illusion she's the frontrunner by the media. With polls being way off nowadays(Remember 2014 when GAF thought the Dems would keep the Senate and even pick up Kansas?)...well it's a toss-up as far as I'm concerned until we start seeing some votes. I think the passion is definitely on Bernie's side. The polls could be way off as they have been before. Thankfully we get some answers in a month with Iowa.

The reason more dems haven't donated to Hilary is because they believe she is going to get it anyway. I have heard that quite a few donors are holding off until the General agains the republican when it really matters.

And seriously, this thread should just be called DemGaf.

Foffy

Banned
The reason more dems haven't donated to Hilary is because they believe she is going to get it anyway. I have heard that quite a few donors are holding off until the General agains the republican when it really matters.

Isn't most of GAF DemGAF? It's when the Republicans stand out that they get openly bodied. Like, not even intentionally, but that the falsehoods get called out faster than they normally do in religion threads.

Makai

We have a number of conservatives and libertarians here. Some people are unfairly hostile towards them, but they usually get banned. I've invited some of the outspoken conservatives in the OT to join us, but I guess they're just casual political observers.

NeoXChaos

Sanders, meanwhile, has never made raising money for the party a priority, despite recently proving his fundraising prowess by signing a letter for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee that brought the party group over $1 million, according to a Sanders aide. His campaign inked a fundraising agreement with the DNC in November, a few months after Clinton’s was signed, but it could never nail down a date for any fundraising events with the committee — and the Vermont-based operation now says it’s entirely up to the DNC to identify some dates that work for them.

But that kind of future cooperation is unlikely, given the Vermont senator’s war with the national committee after the campaign recently filed a lawsuit against it over the decision to shut the campaign out of its voter data when Sanders staffers were caught with proprietary Clinton information. Plus, while the independent who caucuses with Democrats in the Senate could be raising money for the party by making calls to major potential contributors, he refuses to do so on principle.

Sanders' campaign hopes such stands are precisely why his "political revolution" won’t need the Democratic infrastructure’s help – top aides believe the sheer breadth of energy from Sanders backers should be more than enough to elect fellow Democrats on his coattails come November 2016.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/clinton-sanders-party-fundraising-217293#ixzz3wCnMsRjg

Can I scream yet?

Foffy

Banned

While you can argue if it will produce the energy to potentially do so, I think people would at least like a public display from Sanders to represent that idea firsthand.

Or at least, that's what I grasp when he is called out on it by some here. People who genuinely have the same values Sanders does are usually Democratic in political views for they actively stand in contrast to nearly every Republican position. Healthcare, education, and climate in particular are issues democrats seem to give a shit about while the other side thinks less is more.

Makai

Trump said Obama uses executive orders because he spends too much time golfing when he should be working out deals with Congress. Then he complimented Obama's golf swing. LOL

So they're not doing anything to get Democrats elected, they're just hoping his backers are enough to get it done. The same backers that are only getting him about 30-35% nationally in primary polls. This is just like the whole "when people learn about Bernie, they'll support him" meme.

You know all these magical first time voters that are going to propel Sanders to an outstanding victory? You know, the ones that can't be reached by pollsters? The ones who have never voted before? The ones who have never caucused before?

Ya, they're also not registered, either.

https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/pdf/VRStatsArchive/2015/CoJan15.pdf
https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/pdf/VRStatsArchive/2015/CoDec15.pdf

There's been, essentially, no change in the number of registered voters in Iowa thus far. So, all these Bernie folks are so passionate they've decided to register at the caucus? And his ground game is supposed to be so amazing?

Holmes

But to be fair, it would be great for the Democratic party if these people did register to vote and actually showed up at the general, and every subsequent midterm and presidential election.

But to be fair, it would be great for the Democratic party if these people did register to vote and actually showed up at the general, and every subsequent midterm and presidential election.

Of course it would. I'm legitimately surprised by this. Registering people is like Campaign 101. I remember a few months ago Bernie's campaign was complaining that the DNC wasn't sending people to their events to help register voters. Even though that's always been the responsibility of the local party and the candidate. Of course, if Bernie had actual support within the party at the local level, he'd have those resources available....

My point is, if you are running a campaign that rests almost exclusively on 1st time voters, you live and die by voter registration. If he's not even doing that, all he's really doing is preaching to the choir...but he may not be getting the choir in the pews when it counts.

dramatis

I see he still has to deal with the "it costs HOW much?!" shit that The Washington Post made, especially about the healthcare plans. That ignorance becoming part of the public consciousness might outright kill his plans, even if they're accountable.
Wasn't that the Wall Street Journal and not the Washington Post?

Last year was a total whirlwind of news to the point where the sources of things get swept away quite quickly

Foffy

Banned
Wasn't that the Wall Street Journal and not the Washington Post?

Last year was a total whirlwind of news to the point where the sources of things get swept away quite quickly

I think it's Wall Street Journal, and I somehow confused the two.

My bad. I am juggling like eight things today, and I feel I may need to be in hospital soon. :(

Holmes

Trump's speaking in the heart of Bernie's Burlington, Vt. this week. Grabbed a few tickets for a laugh, should be surreal enough.
I wonder how big the crowd will be. I think Vermont is the most establishment-friendly state for Republicans, but Trump is strong in New England.

ivysaur12

Banned
I wonder how big the crowd will be. I think Vermont is the most establishment-friendly state for Republicans, but Trump is strong in New England.

iirc, Vermont is his worst New England state.

They did have the Flatlander movement after civil unions, but I don't know how much of those feelings still persist. I would imagine they'd get a lot of people from New Hampshire and Upstate NY too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom