• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You could say that for most of the country. PA would be red if not for Philly. MI without Detroit. WI without Milwaukee and Madison. etc

Washington without Seattle, IL without Chicago would fall under this as well.

"and take their oil" lmao. Trump knows his base very well.

You can probably blame Cheney and W for this - during the run-up to the Iraq war, they talked about how they would use the money from Iraqi oil to pay for much of the war.

Forget that last article. This is the dumbest piece of writing I've seen in 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/01/04/hillary-clinton-is-the-most-miscast-figure-on-the-2016-political-stage/

I don't get why the WaPo gives this guy a column. Dude makes Eric Erickson look like Ezra Klein.

With all the noise and bluster coming from the Republican campaign, suggesting dysfunction among the Republican candidates, the fact is, Hillary Clinton is the most miscast character in the 2016 race. This is shaping up to be a change election, and nothing about a Clinton candidacy offers change. Period.

Here's the most idiotic part:

Obama’s weakening of America’s place in the world has caused anxiety about our national security, and Clinton can’t disassociate herself from our foreign policy debacles. And in the specific instance of Libya, where Clinton was in charge, look what that got us. No one on the left or right thinks U.S. involvement in Libya is a formula for success in the future.

So Obama has weakened our place in the world by not getting us involved in every geopolitical conflict in the world. Yet no one thinks U.S. involvement in Libya is a formula for success. I swear a fucking fruit fly could see the contradiction there.

These treasonous idiots have no coherent philosophy. You can sum it up entirely with the following:

If Obama did it, it was the wrong thing to do.
Whatever Obama didn't do was the right thing to do.

This column also features a healthy dose of the idiotic concern trolling about how Bill Clinton is apparently a sexual predator and Hillary Clinton is anti-women for not leaving him and accepting Juanita Broaddick's story at face value, or whatever.

I love these vile motherfuckers. "Now that Bill Cosby has been condemned in the court of public opinion, isn't it time we did the same to Bill Clinton?" Wish I could punch these shitheads in the face.

That, and it's clear after 2008 and 2012 that the party was never really thrilled with Romney as a candidate. He got his ass kicked all over the south by Huckabee of all people in 2008 while McCain took the nomination, and even though he won in 2012, it was against the weakest opponents in political history. Every single one of them (Cain, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, Bachmann) would have been destroyed in the general by 20 points.

Bush aside, Rubio, Cruz, Trump, and even Christie and Kaisch are FAR more difficult opponents. Romney as a two time loser had no shot there.

In terms of being opponents against Romney?

P.S Why do we even need ISIS's oil? What is Donald Trump's point? I can see the flaw logic for building the great freedom wall of America or banning brown people , but not taking oil from ISIS.

Mike M

Nick N
That Trump ad is literally a parody of a Trump ad. Except it's real.
I remember reading a piece at least as far back as '08 about how it had become impossible to parody or satirize the right because it was no longer possible to stake a position beyond them to poke fun at their policies.

Do you spend your day looking for articles that make you angry?

I check Real Clear Politics every morning since I have a lot invested in prediction markets. Unfortunately they tend to run some of the worst political commentary out there on their front page aggregator.

Ted Cruz needs our money, y'all..
8773DE15-0959-4EDC-89F4-6C615D98076B.gif

I, on the other hand, need this gif without the memetext

Come on Big Dawg. Deliver NH to Clinton so we can end this primary quickly.

Secretary of Explaining Shit did a great job. Not that I'm even remotely surprised.

Bernie's people have to be a bit nervous that NH is as close as it is. Even if he wins by 4-5%, he's not going to net many delegates at all. The media has already written of a Bernie win there. Plus, if I remember correctly. New England candidates tend to out perform in NH by something like 10-15%. Bernie's not even statistically ahead anymore. If Hillary can lock down NH, we can get the Bernpocolypse over earlier than March.

If that were to happen, I"m tempted to change my ballot to a GOP one so I can vote for Trump. Actually, I don't think I can do that, since I voted Dem in the last primary....

In terms of being opponents against Romney?

P.S Why do we even need ISIS's oil? What is Donald Trump's point? I can see the flaw logic for building the great freedom wall of America or banning brown people , but not taking oil from ISIS.

Yes, in terms of being opponents for Romney in the primary. He matches up very poorly against just about all of them.

Romney isn't really a good orator, he was a gaffe machine in 2012. Cruz and Trump are able to resonate more with the base than Romney ever was with little difficulty. Cruz is also a fundraising machine, and Trump is apparently willing to use his own funds if necessary. Since Romney gave up on spending his own funds after 2008, out spending them is off the table.

Rubio is actually a VERY good debater, appeals to the establishment (competing again for funds), and has youth and charisma going for him that Romney doesn't.

Christie and Kaisch are none of the above, but both of them Trump (lol) Romney in the executive experience category, being successful two term republican governors of moderate to liberal northern states. Romney was heavily leaning on Christie in 2012 as well making it hard to undermine his credentials.

As for ISIS oil, that's actually not nonsensical. ISIS is funding itself to the tune of tens of millions a day using oil they're selling on the black market from seized wells. Cutting that off devastates their ability to fund themselves.

Yes, in terms of being opponents for Romney in the primary. He matches up very poorly against just about all of them.

Romney isn't really a good orator, he was a gaffe machine in 2012. Cruz and Trump are able to resonate more with the base than Romney ever was with little difficulty. Cruz is also a fundraising machine, and Trump is apparently willing to use his own funds if necessary. Since Romney gave up on spending his own funds after 2008, out spending them is off the table.

Rubio is actually a VERY good debater, appeals to the establishment (competing again for funds), and has youth and charisma going for him that Romney doesn't.

Christie and Kaisch are none of the above, but both of them Trump (lol) Romney in the executive experience category, being successful two term republican governors of moderate to liberal northern states. Romney was heavily leaning on Christie in 2012 as well making it hard to undermine his credentials.

As for ISIS oil, that's actually not nonsensical. ISIS is funding itself to the tune of tens of millions a day using oil they're selling on the black market from seized wells. Cutting that off devastates their ability to fund themselves.

I agree with you...except for Rubio being a good debater. He is not. He has sound bites, and he shoe horns them in when he can. He is not quick on his feet. A one on one debate would be hellish for him, if he can't stick to his talking points.

I also don't see the charisma, but I think that's way more subjective.

Not to belabor my previous point too much, but I'm getting seriously offended by right-wing editorials comparing Bill Clinton to Bill Cosby.

Bill Clinton was accused of rape by a single woman with no physical or other corroborating evidence. This same woman later signed an affidavit during the Kenneth Starr hearings stating that she had not, in fact, been assaulted by Clinton.

Bill Cosby has been accused by 40+ women who claim to have had near-identical experiences with him.

It's opportunistic concern-trolling. "With the Cosby fallout showing how important it is that we take allegations of sexual violence seriously, how about that Bill Clinton, who just happens to be campaigning on behalf of a presidential candidate we despise? If you really care about womens' rights, vote Republican."

You can almost see the trollface.jpg when you read those op-eds.

I agree with you...except for Rubio being a good debater. He is not. He has sound bites, and he shoe horns them in when he can. He is not quick on his feet. A one on one debate would be hellish for him, if he can't stick to his talking points.

I also don't see the charisma, but I think that's way more subjective.

Rubio is good in debates when he can recite memorized lines, even in these primary debates which are favorable to his style, he doesn't do great once things get off script. I mean Romney defeated Obama in a one on one debate and sent this community into a frenzy, I don't see Rubio matching that. Not that he's likely to get the opportunity at this rate.

Not to belabor my previous point too much, but I'm getting seriously offended by right-wing editorials comparing Bill Clinton to Bill Cosby.

Bill Clinton was accused of rape by a single woman with no physical or other corroborating evidence. This same woman later signed an affidavit during the Kenneth Starr hearings stating that she had not, in fact, been assaulted by Clinton.

Bill Cosby has been accused by 40+ women who claim to have had near-identical experiences with him.

It's opportunistic concern-trolling. "With the Cosby fallout showing how important it is that we take allegations of sexual violence seriously, how about that Bill Clinton, who just happens to be campaigning on behalf of a presidential candidate we despise? If you really care about womens' rights, vote Republican."

You can almost see the trollface.jpg when you read those op-eds.

Clinton has been accused of sexual assault or misconduct by multiple women. Not just one.

Whats the deal with WaPo recently and their Contrarian Connie op-eds? First with that ridiculous anti-hijab solidarity screed few weeks ago and now this embarassment. Desperate for hits, are we? Trump not giving you guys enough love?

Clinton has been accused of sexual assault or misconduct by multiple women. Not just one.

He has been accused of rape by one woman.

The other allegations are mostly, "He tried to kiss me, and I rejected him," or whatnot. IIRC, the only other "serious" allegation is that he exposed his privates to a woman.

You're going out of your way to get annoyed, mate. Look for trash and you'll always find it.

I'm not going out of my way. Trump just made this a campaign theme, and the right-wing blogosphere has been mobilizing behind it. If you don't think this will be all over the place when the campaigns start in earnest, you're sorely mistaken.

Whats the deal with WaPo recently and their Contrarian Connie op-eds? First with that ridiculous anti-hijab solidarity screed few weeks ago and now this embarassment. Desperate for hits, are we? Trump not giving you guys enough love?

Somebody call Chris Cillizza to push out some drivel.

They were also covered extensively throughout his public life, especially during campaigns, and people moved on when there was no smoking gun. I don't recall Cosby being dogged by allegations in headline news of what he did when The Cosby Show was running.

Rubio is a good in debates when he can recite memorized lines, even in these primary debates which are favorable to his style, he doesn't do great once things get off script. I mean Romney defeated Obama in a one on one debate and sent this community into a frenzy, I don't see Rubio matching that. Not that he's likely to get the opportunity at this rate.

To be fair expectations for Romney were low in debate 1, while Obama's were pretty high. Romney won that but got points for showing up and proving to the base he was still in it.

Romney got absolutely dismantled in the second debate and easily handled in the third once Obama's team had Romney's strategy figured out.

And Obama isn't a particularly strong debater. Romney struggled in the primaries, allowing Newt Gingrich to score points all over him. I can't think of a single knockout blow to any of them that wasn't self inflicted. Romney's strength was in outspending his competition on the airwaves, not debate.

Edit: keep in mind also that general election debate and primary debate are totally different. In a primary Romney is going to have to position himself hard right which is something he's always struggled to do as a Mormon from a northern state.

I'm not going out of my way. Trump just made this a campaign theme, and the right-wing blogosphere has been mobilizing behind it. If you don't think this will be all over the place when the campaigns start in earnest, you're sorely mistaken.

One can hope.

One can oh so dearly hope.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Carson's tax plan is absolutely hilarious. Not only is it incredibly regressive and would absolutely destroy lower middle-class people, it includes this gem:

Eliminate deductions for home mortgage interest, charitable giving and state and local taxes.

Basically, let's get rid of any reason any corporation has for giving money away! BRILLIANT!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Carson's tax plan is absolutely hilarious. Not only is it incredibly regressive and would absolutely destroy lower middle-class people, it includes this gem:

Basically, let's get rid of any reason any corporation has for giving money away! BRILLIANT!

Wouldn't that also make church donations no longer tax-exempt?

He has been accused of rape by one woman.

The other allegations are mostly, "He tried to kiss me, and I rejected him," or whatnot. IIRC, the only other "serious" allegation is that he exposed his privates to a woman.

So, sexual assault. He's been accused of groping and exposing himself to women. There are multiple examples of him having sexual relations with women who worked for or under him.

Having an affair with your co-worker isn't a sex crime.

It's also good to know that those times when I tried to kiss a woman at the end of a date and got the cheek-turn, I was committing sexual assault.

Having an affair with your co-worker isn't a sex crime.

It's also good to know that those times when I tried to kiss a woman at the end of a date and got the cheek-turn, I was committing sexual assault

Just looking at a woman is sexual assault these days, Remington. Don't make me call the police on you, pervert.

But to be serious, he did more than that. He attempted to force himself on women, allegedly. He groped women and exposed himself, allegedly. And yet liberals don't care or dismiss the women. Just as they didn't care about the various sexist attacks on Sarah Palin. I just find it interesting that outrage is reserved for some, depending on their politics.

User 406

Banned

But he's not talking about seizing oil fields as a means to defeating ISIS, he's talking about oil as loot. It's the same as his previous complaint about the Iraq war, where he said, “if we’re going to leave, take the oil.". It's a preposterously simplistic view of things. It isn't even as sophisticated a thought as conquering the area to produce resources for us, which is also extinction-level stupid.

Basically, why should we grind Middle Eastern countries if we don't get any sweet drops?

Just looking at a woman is sexual assault these days, Remington. Don't make me call the police on you, pervert.

But to be serious, he did more than that. He attempted to force himself on women, allegedly. He groped women and exposed himself, allegedly. And yet liberals don't care or dismiss the women. Just as they didn't care about the various sexist attacks on Sarah Palin. I just find it interesting that outrage is reserved for some, depending on their politics.

I think most of us would care if there was any credible evidence that he committed sex crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_sexual_misconduct_allegations

Basically we have Paula Jones, whose case was dismissed and who Clinton later settled with for a pittance, and Broaddrick, who contradicted her entire story in a sworn affidavit.

I mean, I actually agree with the first part, at least in a sense (perhaps for houses above a certain percentage of median value in a state or 2nd/3rd/vacation homes), as it a massive piece of middle class welfare that could be better spent in other places.

ivysaur12

Banned
I actually think that Juanita Broaddrick's case is interesting and sad, and there's more likely than not some version of her story that's the truth. I also don't think there's any way to prove he committed a sex crime even if he did do it, and her story has been taken on by the right-wing press, so it's hard to parse any sort of judgment out of it.

And yeah, no shit that liberals are more likely to let people on their "team" off the hook, just as the opposite is true. This is not an issue systematic with liberals, but with anyone who has any stake in a political party's success. That doesn't make it right that no one actually investigated the Juanita Broaddrick case with the vigilance that it deserved, but it's an example of how people prioritize their belief system.

Here's a fun fact I just heard: the last time a republican was elected to the presidency without having a Nixon or Bush on the ticket was Herbert Hoover in 1928.

And yeah, no shit that liberals are more likely to let people on their "team" off the hook, just as the opposite is true. This is not an issue systematic with liberals, but with anyone who has any stake in a political party's success. That doesn't make it right that no one actually investigated the Juanita Broaddrick case with the vigilance that it deserved, but it's an example of how people prioritize their belief system.

She didn't report it for like 20 years, so it's pretty hard to investigate it.

The sworn affidavit really punches a hole in the whole story for me, even if she tried to recant it later.

Mike M

Nick N
Here's a fun fact I just heard: the last time a republican was elected to the presidency without having a Nixon or Bush on the ticket was Herbert Hoover in 1928.
Yeah, we had (still have?) someone last thread who kept bringing that up as though it had any predictive validity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom