• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
She had a whole thing about "small town real America" vs. big city... idk, fake America, I guess.

None of the candidates at that point were New Yorkers, so I guess that's why nobody played the 9/11 card explicitly.

That's similar to what Cruz was trying to say, I think. But yeah, you guys are right that it's different with a New Yorker there to hit back.

The response could've been a little better (he should've talked about first responders), but all in all it was pretty good. It's kinda weird cheering on something Trump said, but in this case I think it's acceptable.

CCS

Banned
I think Cruz has an air cooled brain. It only seems to start working once he's already been talking for 30 seconds.

BSsBrolly

Banned
My favorite part of the debate was Trump saying "At least I'm not weak... Jebs weak." *points at Jeb*

Holy hell that was hilarious. Trumps destruction of Cruz with the 9/11 answer, followed by Cruzs' slimy clap, was a close second.

CYxM96SWwAE-x0y.jpg

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/688009469750571008
it has begun?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Doubt it will go anywhere. No different to the case brought earlier challenging Clinton's ballet access in Illinois.

teiresias

Cruz attacking NYC was probably the dumbest thing he could've done. How did he not see himself walking into a 9/11 response?

Not really. Ever since 9/11 there's always been some strange disconnect between the anti-terrorism rhetoric from the Republicans and the base that on one hand acts oh-so-concerned about NYC - a place most of the fly-over and deep south Republican base has never set foot in - and disparaging the place for being some kind of cess-pool of liberal and non-christian ideals.

Yknow.
Trump's theme song was the first time i got legit worried about that creature getting the nom. Not necessarily due to the odds of him winning, but... Fuck man, proud nationalism scares the crap outta me. Thats a narrative that can acquire traction very easily, especially with Scary Terrorism around thr corner. Dude's probably gonna focus heavily on that/jingoism in the general.

Also lolcruz

Bowdz

Doubt it will go anywhere. No different to the case brought earlier challenging Clinton's ballet access in Illinois.

It doesn't need to go anywhere to help Trump out. Where there's smoke, there's fire and this will just help Trump paint the issue as a further liability to the GOP if they choose Cruz as the nominee. Trump has been given more than enough ammo (eligibility, Goldman Sachs, NY values) to take care of Cruz, he just has to execute and hit him hard until Iowa.

I wonder if 538 will talk about how their prediction about how the establishment would chose Cruz over Trump was entirely wrong or how Trump would make Cruz acceptable to the establishment was absurdly wrong. If the party has decided on Trump over Cruz, that has to help Trump a huge amount in 538's modeling ideas...

Trump also takes a clear lead over Rubio in betting markets. 35% for Trump, 32% for Rubio:

http://predictwise.com/

PBY

Banned
You can see the exact moment Cruz soul left through his eyes hahaha

Good thing he was some kind of debate titan :p The guy is obviously too arrogant for its own good.

This was Trump's best put down in a debate. The "shut the fuck up Jeb, you suck" was effective, but not very graceful, and didn't even work that well last debate and was getting old. Last night Trump barely even noticed Jeb, just casually hit him with a go back in your corner.

Which btw - NO IDEA what Jeb was doing last night. He was on the fringes of the stage, and he acted like it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's just Because trumps empire could collapse so fast. Underperform in Iowa because his ground org sucks and his fans are just...fans and not voters...he drops in NH and then it's over.

I think it's high time silver started acknowledging that the charade has gone on too long to be a charade but I'm still not sure I really believe.

He's starting to act more like a politician though.

Acosta

This was Trump's best put down in a debate. The "shut the fuck up Jeb, you suck" was effective, but not very graceful, and didn't even work that well last debate and was getting old. Last night Trump barely even noticed Jeb, just casually hit him with a go back in your corner.

Which btw - NO IDEA what Jeb was doing last night. He was on the fringes of the stage, and he acted like it.

Nobody has any idea of what Jeb is doing, that's the point of his campaign so far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's just Because trumps empire could collapse so fast. Underperform in Iowa because his ground org sucks and his fans are just...fans and not voters...he drops in NH and then it's over.

I think it's high time silver started acknowledging that the charade has gone on too long to be a charade but I'm still not sure I really believe.

He's starting to act more like a politician though.

I get where Nate's coming from, but Trump has been leading since August. This stopped being funny two months ago.

PBY

Banned
I get where Nate's coming from, but Trump has been leading since August. This stopped being funny two months ago.

I may just be missing something, but from last night on twitter:

Harry Enten ‏@ForecasterEnten 12h12 hours ago
The more things change... The more they remain the same...
CYvB17yU0AIdQ2H.png

Nate replies:

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 12h12 hours ago
@ForecasterEnten: That seems pretty good for Cruz, once you adjust for Drudge's pro-Trump house effect.

I may just be missing something, but from last night on twitter:

Harry Enten ‏@ForecasterEnten 12h12 hours ago
The more things change... The more they remain the same...

Nate replies:

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 12h12 hours ago
@ForecasterEnten: That seems pretty good for Cruz, once you adjust for Drudge's pro-Trump house effect.

I get that Trump does well on Drudge but hand waving away a 30 points lead is pretty hilarious.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I get that Trump does well on Drudge but hand waving away a 30 points lead is pretty hilarious.

Especially considering how bruised Cruz was by the end of the night. Trump hit him so hard he didn't say shit for 20 minutes and then Rubio slapped him around a bit at the very end.

Especially considering how bruised Cruz was by the end of the night. Trump hit him so hard he didn't say shit for 20 minutes and then Rubio slapped him around a bit at the very end.

While it sure looked that way to me too, the analysis today seems to frame the debate more like a punch-for-punch Rocky fight between Trump and Cruz.

Every story mentions the 9/11 haymaker but in counter to Cruz's birther takedown and no mentions that it took the wind out of his sails for the rest of the debate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
While it sure looked that way to me too, the analysis today seems to frame the debate more like a punch-for-punch Rocky fight between Trump and Cruz.

Every story mentions the 9/11 haymaker but in counter to Cruz's birther takedown and no mentions that it took the wind out of his sails for the rest of the debate.

It's partly because if Trump dismantles Cruz then the horse race is over and partly that people still refuse to believe Trump could possibly win the nomination.

I am sure he knows that and he should. If the rules of the past end of working then Nate will be right in the end. If not then he will admit in time.

The "Cruz is going to win the nomination!" shtick he's got going isn't based on any reality though. The party hates Cruz more than Trump, but the main fan of "The Party Decides" thinks Cruz is going to be the nominee?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The "Cruz is going to win the nomination!" shtick he's got going isn't based on any reality though. The party hates Cruz more than Trump, but the main fan of "The Party Decides" thinks Cruz is going to be the nominee?

Vox had a thing about how Cruz won the debate last night too, I sat there trying to figure out what debate they were watching.

NeoXChaos

"current" reality. Nate is basing his "prediction" based off normal cycle reality + the bolded.

*Do you think Nate is right on the Democratic race?

HylianTom

Banned
"current" reality. Nate is basing his "prediction" based off normal cycle reality + the bolded.

*Do you think Nate is right on the Democratic race?
The main thing missing from Nate's model is a variable that accounts for attitude of the electorate towards its own party leadership. I think he'll realize this and use the events as a way to discuss the difficulty of model building.

I've been on the Trump train for a while, and there's still a part of me that stops and asks, "is this really going to happen?"

Is he saying Cruz will win the nom?

What's posted here is him saying Cruz is the most likely winner of Iowa. Nate's whole thing since this started is that predicting the whole thing this early is impossible.

NeoXChaos

The main thing missing from Nate's model is a variable that accounts for attitude of the electorate towards its own party leadership. I think he'll realize this and use the events as a way to discuss the difficulty of model building.

I've been on the Trump train for a while, and there's still a part of me that stops and asks, "is this really going to happen?"

If Trump win's its more or less an anomaly like Goldwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom