• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Me too, and I sort of think it's a subtle sexism thing. The goal post is always pushed back when it comes to her, her views, her accomplishments, and it's generally always men who are doing it. It's something that women go through a lot and we're really seeing it on a larger scale here because Hillary is running for the highest office in the country. I also think that if Hillary doesn't win this then there won't be a female President for at least another generation.

If it's not Hillary it'll be Gillibrand. At least that's what I'd like to think.

Me too, and I sort of think it's a subtle sexism thing. The goal post is always pushed back when it comes to her, her views, her accomplishments, and it's generally always men who are doing it. It's something that women go through a lot and we're really seeing it on a larger scale here because Hillary is running for the highest office in the country. I also think that if Hillary doesn't win this then there won't be a female President for at least another generation.

The thing that gets me....is I appreciate how some are so upset over her not being publicly for gay marriage. A lot of it comes from allies who really mean the best. Like I mentioned in the thread, none of my gay friends hold that against her. I realize it was a toxic issue. It's not about settling, it's about realizing what the political realities of her time as First Lady involved. Should she have been for it forever? Yes. Of course. Everyone should have been. However, as a gay dude, I realize I can't hold that shit against every single person forever. She's right now. That's what matters. She's been an ally to the LGBT community for decades. She's not perfect. No one is.

What kept you waiting, huh?

I have no idea. It seems so convoluted....and I'd have to play all of them because...

WAIT! I lied, I played Metal Gear Solid Revengeance, but only because it was made by Platinum.

Crocodile

I know its basically law at this point or whatever but it feels super weird that a state like Iowa or NH can dictate som much of the narrative and momentum in the primary on either party. As has been said multiple times already, the states aren't a good representation of "Average" or even "Median" America. Now trying to figure out which state(s) do better rep that is likely a nightmare of a debate but it still seems so weird where we've settled on right now.

With a republican-controlled state Congress?

LOL zero.

I mean he still effectively poisoned children through incompetence/negligence. Stanning for your fellow politician can only go so far. Right?

CYvebg9WMAAogB8.jpg

LOL

Am I a bad person for never having played a Metal Gear game?

Welcome to the club <3 :p

ivysaur12

Banned
It's the price you pay being in the political spot long for so long. She and Bill were against it for a lot longer in the eyes of the public even if they weren't in reality. Bernie and Obama switched on it but, at least with Obama he flipped around on it relatively quickly in comparison to what people saw with Hillary

Obama's was even worse because he was for it, then against it, then for it again. That's worse than anything Hillary ever did!

What I'm getting at is, it's fucking sexist.

Oh I disagree.

It's not that subtle.

I know its basically law at this point or whatever but it feels super weird that a state like Iowa or NH can dictate som much of the narrative and momentum in the primary on either party. As has been said multiple times already, the states aren't a good representation of "Average" or even "Median" America. Now trying to figure out which state(s) do better rep that is likely a nightmare of a debate but it still seems so weird where we've settled on right now.

New Yawk or New Jersey maybe?

ivysaur12

Banned
So if Cruz is the nominee, what seats in New York state would Republicans be able to hold on to? Maybe Peter King holds on due to a visible incumbency. Maybe the 27th, because it's the most conservative district in the state (R+7).

But.......

nukedeggs

Wow, the Hillary Clinton thread in Off-Topic Discussion. I'm surprised that so many people would sit out in the event of Bernie not getting the nomination. A GOP candidate potentially getting the presidency would set Democrats back by a lot.

Wow, the Hillary Clinton thread in Off-Topic Discussion. I'm surprised that so many people would sit out in the event of Bernie not getting the nomination. A GOP candidate potentially getting the presidency would set Democrats back by a lot.

I really do believe that the Left is its own worst enemy. People are just ignorant. I'm a low-income minority, and I don't have the privilege to "sit out" a general election. I want Bernie, but I will vote for Hillary in the main election if it comes to it.

Could we change it back so only those 21 and up can vote? I feel like this would be a good thing. I remember being a dewy eyed kid too, but holy hell. Like, they don't teach civics anymore, do they? People have no idea how this whole government thing actually works. I insulate myself too much. Most people I talk politics don't expect a chicken in every pot and a unicorn in every driveway.

PBY

Banned
Could we change it back so only those 21 and up can vote? I feel like this would be a good thing. I remember being a dewy eyed kid too, but holy hell. Like, they don't teach civics anymore, do they? People have no idea how this whole government thing actually works. I insulate myself too much. Most people I talk politics don't expect a chicken in every pot and a unicorn in every driveway.

This is a bad idea.

No. And that's a bad idea.

I know. It was also a bad joke.

What about anyone with a Reddit account can't vote? (Do you have accounts on Reddit? I assume. I don't know. I'm getting old.)

I guess, as I'm getting older, I realize that you have to let life beat you down a bit before you understand how things work. I envy youth.

You have a large portion of voters that really believe the "both sides are the same" rhetoric, including many young people. Generation X is still kicking itself over what happen in 2000 with Gore, Bush, and Nader. The same thing is about to happen this year with Millennials if they decide to not vote in the upcoming election.

I really do believe that the Left is its own worst enemy. People are just ignorant. I'm a low-income minority, and I don't have the privilege to "sit out" a general election. I want Bernie, but I will vote for Hillary in the main election if it comes to it.

Hey, once everybody darker than John Boehner needs 8 forms of ID to vote, the states are gerrymandered so that rural areas have 10x the vote as urban areas, and the Supreme Court has got ridden of the Commerce Clause, there'll be a massive left wing revival!

What about anyone with a Reddit account can't vote? (Do you have accounts on Reddit? I assume. I don't know. I'm getting old.)

I do, but I mostly argue w/ idiotic fans of pro wrestling who don't understand the business. So, it's kind of like arguing with Sanders supporters. ;)

NeoXChaos

nvm. dramatis summed it up nicely:

It's your right to vote for whomever you want in the primary. The main concern is really not the primary so much as the general election; if Hillary is the nominee, and she still doesn't represent your beliefs as well as her Republican opponent, well then the issue wouldn't really be Hillary Clinton.

What has been objectionable to me these past few months is the sheer amount of lies about and vilification of Hillary because she happens to be the opponent of who many GAF posters support. There's all sorts of subtle, unconscious sexism that just slips by and is not called out because other posters support the same arguments of fakeness, of corporate puppetry, of corruption, of whatever that they don't pull out proof for. It's largely based on the passion and emotion of investment into a competition. Hillary could put out a good idea (she recently revealed a plan for autism that was praised by the autism community, yet on GAF there are threads about her social media outreach instead) and either no one notices or if there are threads, there would be drive bys with the same old arguments listed above.

It's exhausting to see ignorant post after ignorant post ("She's a 180 from Obama" "How is she more liberal than Obama?") to idiot post after idiot post ("She's not cool" "She's fake") to posts that are just plain bitter about Hillary, because she planned and worked out her run and campaign earlier and better than her opponents did, and therefore it's been difficult for her opponents to gain on her. They blame the system, they blame the party, they blame Hillary, they blame everyone but themselves for not voting in 2010 or 2014, for their own apathy. If the only way one can vote for a candidate is if they are enthused by said candidate, what makes them better than the people who voted for George Bush because they wanted someone they could have a beer with?

The absolute worst thing about all of this is that I thought the left was above the petty shit that the right does when it comes to Obama and Hillary. After all these years of shit piled on Obama by conservatives, you would think that they're able to recognize such poor behavior and media issues, and be above it all.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

I guess, as I'm getting older, I realize that you have to let life beat you down a bit before you understand how things work. I envy youth.
adam pls

User 406

Banned

Don't sweat it, this is sound and fury signifying nothing. These people are not a significant segment of the electorate. Just let them scream themselves hoarse and don't let it get to you.

Fine, people with Reddit accounts can vote provisionally. Jeeze. Ya'll just shoot me down too damn much.

All kidding aside, I feel like this is my first "adult" election. I love the idea of young people being so engaged, but I feel like some lack a basic understanding of how governance actually works. I mean, that's not exclusive to the youth vote, but I just don't remember it being this bad in 2008. Maybe I was just hanging with all the old people, but I always knew how this whole ship goes down. I remember a bit of it around Dean in 2004, but I still don't think it was this....I can't think of a word that doesn't sound offensive. (And I'm legitimately trying to NOT be offensive. It's a new years resolution or something.)

PBY

Banned
Fine, people with Reddit accounts can vote provisionally. Jeeze. Ya'll just shoot me down too damn much.

All kidding aside, I feel like this is my first "adult" election. I love the idea of young people being so engaged, but I feel like some lack a basic understanding of how governance actually works. I mean, that's not exclusive to the youth vote, but I just don't remember it being this bad in 2008. Maybe I was just hanging with all the old people, but I always knew how this whole ship goes down. I remember a bit of it around Dean in 2004, but I still don't think it was this....I can't think of a word that doesn't sound offensive. (And I'm legitimately trying to NOT be offensive. It's a new years resolution or something.)

For all every young person who is too idealistic and naive - theres a 75 year old deluded, jaded racist. So it works. (Or should work).

Believe me when I say that having gotten the crap kicked out of you by life is not an experience limited the aged.

Ted Cruz's heartfelt apology to conservatives trapped in the liberal hellhole known as New York City.

I apologize to the millions of New Yorkers that have been held down by liberal policies in New York City.

I apologize to the hard-working men and women in the state of New York who have been denied jobs because Gov. Cuomo won't allow fracking. Even though there have been many high-paying jobs just south in Pennsylvania, New Yorkers have been denied the chance to provide for their families.

I apologize to all the pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-Second Amendment New Yorkers told by Gov. Cuomo that they have no place in New York, because that's not who New Yorkers are.

I apologize to all the small businesses that have been driven out of New York City by crushing taxes and regulations.

I apologize to all of the African American children who Mayor De Blasio tried to throw out of their schools that were providing a lifeline to the American dream.

And I apologize to all of the cops, firefighters, and 9/11 heroes who had no choice but to stand and turn their backs on Mayor De Blasio, because Mayor De Blasio, over and over again, stands with the looters and criminals rather than the brave men and women of law enforcement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-yorkers-for-their-liberal-elected-officials/

Choke on a dick and pass out, Teddy. Just call out black people with the slur you want to use, assfuck.

For all every young person who is too idealistic and naive - theres a 75 year old deluded, jaded racist. So it works. (Or should work).

Young adults are busy whereas the old racists have nothing better to with their Tuesdays than go vote.

(Young people are also as racist as older people)

SmokeMaxX

A vast majority of the country is politically ignorant. That's the unfortunate reality of the situation. The problem is that a lot of voters also don't care that they're ignorant. I mean, that's why a good soundbite is better than good policy.

The sad thing is, the old people vote. If these idealistic people would just freaking vote, I wouldn't have a problem. They just never do. They promise they will. They say they will. They don't. In 2008, we had a girl (Maybe 19...) who requested a ride to the polls even though we'd offered it weeks before during early voting or offered to help her get a ballot. When we knocked on her door, she said she couldn't be bothered. I mean....how? We, literally, called you like six times offering to help you get to the poll or fill out an absentee ballot....why did you even bother registering and saying you wanted to do it if you won't do it!? It just..it baffles me.

Believe me when I say that having gotten the crap kicked out of you by life is not an experience limited the aged.

True. I managed to get mine pretty early. After you basically go blind, you kinda just get a nice little core of bitchy at the center of your heart. You then break it with alcohol and pathetic attempts at humor. :p

I have to wonder if Cruz is legitimately anti-Semitic.

I think this is like the second or third time he's used an anti-Jew dogwhistle and I don't know if that even helps him in the polls...

Honestly, if I don't explicitly do anything else with it, the MPA degree I'm getting next year (alongside a master's in urban planning) was worth it for the sole reason that it fixed this in me.

Teggy

Sad as it is, shitting on New York probably loses nothing for Cruz. It probably makes people in the midwest and south like him, and even if it costs him the New York primary, it's so late in the cycle who knows if it will even matter.

After it's all said and done, I still expect Clinton to have a map similar to Obama's in 2012, more or less. It won't really be about people going out to vote for Clinton, but really the fact that they are going out to vote against Trump. That's one of the reasons why I want Trump to win the nomination, since people like Rubio and Kasich are far more dangerous in the general election. However, this does pose a problem for 2020. If the GOP are finally competent enough to run a decent nominee, plus a potential financial crisis, then the Democrats could have a huge problem down the line. If the Democrats can at least secure 16 continuous years of holding the White House, then I think the country will be set on a good track for at least a generation. Not to sound morbid, but Scalia and Kennedy will definitely retire or pass between now and 2024, and RGB and Breyer will be able to retire comfortably during that time.

Every time I see her talk, I realize even more shockingly that I just can't vote for her. I'm not a Bernie-Stan, but he's the only Democrat in this presidential race that I'll vote for.

Everyone keeps saying that it'll only be 8-9 redditors who'll abstain, but I think it's a much higher number. I've voted Democrat in every election until now, but I won't vote for her. Granted, I wasn't a Marxist in 2012.

First the Dems complain that young people don't vote, then they get butthurt that the kids won't vote for their weak candidates so they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Raise the voting age and you automatically skew the voting base to the right permanently.

It has to be embarrassing for Rubio not to get Lindsey Graham's endorsement, right? Rubio is the purest neocon and hawk in American politics today and he can't get Graham on board with his campaign? Instead, Graham endorses a guy with no shot of winning.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if Rubio slips to 4th, behind Jeb!, in SC after losing Iowa and NH...

First the Dems complain that young people don't vote, then they get butthurt that the kids won't vote for their weak candidates so they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Raise the voting age and you automatically skew the voting base to the right permanently.

It was a joke. I understand how that could be confusing, though. Jokes are supposed to be funny, and mine wasn't. :p

Makai

Every time I see her talk, I realize even more shockingly that I just can't vote for her. I'm not a Bernie-Stan, but he's the only Democrat in this presidential race that I'll vote for.

Everyone keeps saying that it'll only be 8-9 redditors who'll abstain, but I think it's a much higher number. I've voted Democrat in every election until now, but I won't vote for her. Granted, I wasn't a Marxist in 2012.
Hey, Trump has some Marxist ideas if you want to vote for him instead.

pigeon

Banned

Yeah, I mean, no offense, but you're pretty unrepresentative of the average American? Or even the average Democrat.

You're a Marxist? To me that is just as bad as being a Trump or Cruz fan. Marxism is built on blind ideology with a complete disregard of facts as well authoritarianism. Actually, that sounds a lot like Trump and Cruz fans...

Yeah, I mean, no offense, but you're pretty unrepresentative of the average American? Or even the average Democrat.
Yeah, but I wasn't in 2012. Hell, in 2012 I was making the same sorts of arguments you are now.

Bernie should have been the candidate to rev up the left, get his economic issues a good airing, and then hand that energized base to Hillary. That's often how it works. The only problem is that Hillary looks 10x as bad in comparison to Bernie for a lot of folks on the left (not just kids). If Bernie wasn't in the race, Hillary wouldn't look so bad. For whatever reason, this just seems to be the election cycle where a number of people on the left just say, 'no more'.

It's not that Hillary is bad, it's that Bernie reminded everyone what an actual liberal looks like. It's broken the spell that the center-left has held on them for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom