• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very possible Trump winning Iowa is bad for him. Hear me out.

If Trump wins Iowa and Cruz falls to like 4/5 in NH, his election campaign may be over. I doubt he drops out, but he may become insignificant. Where do his voters go? It's actually likely to Rubio if he manages to be 2nd in NH. And now it can become a Trump vs Rubio battle in which case cooler heads may prevail and nominate Rubio in the end. I'm not saying this will happen but it seems very plausible, to me.

A weakened Cruz that loses in Iowa doesn't mean that he will drop out. He'll lose support, some to Rubio, some to Trump, but he's going to stay in the race with some support long enough to prevent consolidation behind an establishment candidate. This scenario isn't poor for Trump at all, it puts him in a commanding position considering the primary schedule where he will easily take South Carolina and most of the March 1st states. It's far better for Trump for Cruz to wither and let Trump build an edge in the South.

ivysaur12

Banned
I also think Kasich is pretty much done if he doesn't come in 2nd in New Hampshire. The blue states he'd do well in are too late in the game and if he can't beat Trump in New Hampshire, where would he win? Besides Ohio.

Ideally, for the democrats, I think this is the best case scenario given the situation.

Iowa:

1. Cruz
2. Trump
3+ irrelevant

New Hamphire:

1. Trump
2. Cruz
3. Jeb!
4. Kasich
5. Rubio
6. Christie

In this scenario, Rubio and Christie are dead. Kasich too, probably. It becomes Trump vs Cruz with Jeb! being the "moderate" choice.

Just keep Rubio away from top 2 in NH please.

A weakened Cruz that loses in Iowa doesn't mean that he will drop out. He'll lose support, some to Rubio, some to Trump, but he's going to stay in the race with some support long enough to prevent consolidation behind an establishment candidate. This scenario isn't poor for Trump at all, it puts him in a commanding position considering the primary schedule where he will easily take South Carolina and most of the March 1st states. It's far better for Trump for Cruz to wither and let Trump build an edge in the South.
Right, but as I said, he may become insignificant.

If Cruz does poorly in NH after losing Ia, there's a chance he doesn't matter and if Rubio comes in second in NH he becomes a real candidate.

User 406

Banned
Santorum Rails Against The Media After It Suggests His Campaign Is Dead

teFCspV.jpg

Swear to fuckin' god, I thought this was from the 2012 election, expecting it to be contextually similar to a current candidate's situation, then I remembered. :X

Bu bu but Hillary deleted 30,000 emails, so shouldn't she be looking at 300,000 (or 600,000) years in prison?

Posting this because I KNOW for a fact this will come up in a right-wing op-ed by tomorrow.

A good point. These last few months have shown Clinton Delusion might be worse than Obama Delusion on the far right (and "moderate" right).

LOL Rubio

Haha Christie. God, I want him to get fifth in NH so bad.

The motherfucker was already back in NH today after that huge storm, and he told reporters who questioned him that there was no serious damage or flooding. Meanwhile, Wildwood and other shore towns are completely underwater! This guy is unbelievable.

I hope we pass that law requiring governors to resign if they want to run for President. The dude has completely abandoned his post.

One of my friends is normally cool but is a Bernie Stan. Had a near hour long conversation that went like this:

Him: "What do you think of rape culture?"
Me: "What."
Him: "False rape accusations are oppressing men and making society terrible now and they're really frequent!"
Me: "..."
Him: "I mean, do you know anyone you think could be a rapist? It's not very common!"
Me: "Several of my family members are rapists and I've known other women that have been raped."
Him: "Uh... Well that's terrible... But feminists should still be focusing on campaign finance reform instead!"

I'm not even looking for "Bernie Stans can be weird sometimes and completely one-dimension" and it keeps hitting me anyway, ugh.

Makai

I'm noticing how Trump really does brand his opponents. He consistently uses certain adjectives against them.

Low-energy Jeb
Nasty Cruz
Sleepy Ben
Wacky Bernie

Everyone else is a loser or a nice/good guy.

I hope we pass that law requiring governors to resign if they want to run for President. The dude has completely abandoned his post.

I hope we pass a law that requires Presidential candidates can't declare until 4 weeks prior to the first primaries. Also, move the primaries up to be within 3 months of the general election. No more of this 24-month campaigning period bullshit. 4 months is plenty. And it deals with your problem as well, since Christie wouldn't be bouncing around the country desperately trying to be liked; he could be free to completely fuck things up in New Jersey for another 5 months.

Teggy

I'm noticing how Trump really does brand his opponents. He consistently uses certain adjectives against them.

Low-energy Jeb
Nasty Cruz
Sleepy Ben
Wacky Bernie

Everyone else is a loser or a nice/good guy.

Hillary is weak and lacks stamina.

I'm worried Trump will get badly burned by Megyn at the debate.
She is definitely going to try. If Trump held his own town hall, he would just need to do his stump speech and say maybe one or two semi controversial things and suck all media coverage from the debate.

For the Dems, what is interesting is about 80% of Bernie supporters said they'd vote for Hillary in a GE. Bernie's wasn't much higher.

The democrats are going to be united.

Meanwhile, 20% of GOPers said no to Trump, 14% to Jeb. Now, you might think this is not much different, but GOP voters skew older and more reliable as a voter. The people who won't vote Hillary are young voters that don't vote much anyway, so nothing is lost. But for the GOP, if even 10% of normal caucus voters don't vote for Trump/Bush and stay home, what does that tell you!?

Fox News IA

Hillary 48
Sanders 42

NH

Sanders 56
Hillary 34

whoops, my above post was quoting this poll, not the other one.

Also interesting:

CZmg8yvWQAEkDnx.png

And now looking at all the polling, even if you think the truth is between the two, this means Bernie loses.

The polls, IMO, are clearly indicating a win for Hillary. But we'll see if the polling is accurate.

FiggyCal

Banned
I honestly don't understand the reaction to Trump saying "I can shoot someone and people will still vote for me". It was clearly a joke. Even on CNN, Wolf Blitzer was saying: "I think you were joking" while interviewing Trump. Of course he was! And the audience loved it. Why is that even a question?

dabig2

For the Dems, what is interesting is about 80% of Bernie supporters said they'd vote for Hillary in a GE. Bernie's wasn't much higher.

That's why I find the constant concern trolling of "wacko Bernie supporters betraying the party" a little overbearing in this thread and outside.

Did we forget 2008 election?
Gallup 3-28-08: If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain

CNN 8-26-08: Angry Clinton supporters toast McCain, roast Obama
But there is some bad news for Obama. The poll showed that 66 percent of Clinton supporters -- registered Democrats who want Clinton as the nominee -- are now backing Obama. That's down from 75 percent in the end of June. Twenty-seven percent of them now say they'll support McCain, up from 16 percent in late June.

And nowhere was that statistic more prevalent than at the RNC-sponsored happy hour for Hillary.

Obama went on to demolish.

You will always have your staunch crazies who claim hell and high water that they'll go for the other party or not vote at all. But once the polls close on election day, they don't matter because they're such an insignificant portion of the Dem electorate even if they do go through with the temper-tantrum (many

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I can't help but think Coates' rise highlights a deficit or dismissal of intellectualism. He's a great writer, even if he sometimes reminds me of the literary version of a James Baldwin cover band, but his reparation work strikes me as not-serious. And he's rarely challenged - and when he is, there doesn't seem to be much interest in a debate being sparked. I found the general gist of his Sanders criticism to be a giant logical fallacy ("if you support radical positions it follows that you must accept y radical position too").

I'm not a Sanders supporter but I don't believe it's accurate to compare him to a traditional "liberal" candidate, or dismiss his views as old "rising tide" views on economics. His adherence to redistribution is a lot more drastic than any modern democrat. And if we compare it to the New Deal we have to acknowledge those policies initially restricted black people from accessing them; surely that's not the case with Sanders' policies.

Eh - that seems a little harsh. Though I'll admit that his writing pointed me towards Baldwin, and he does seem like a Baldwin cover band. That's still high praise considering Baldwin's work though. The reparations thing feels like...it feels like now his articles are all written with reparations as the pre-determined solution to said given problem or his argument. The logical fallacy about Coates' "if you say you are radical, you must be radical in all things, and I am going to define what the radical views are" - that's a load of crap.

Worse is his point about Lincoln. The Corwin Amendment, anyone? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corwin_Amendment)

As I've said before - I'm to the left of HRC but right of Sanders - but TNC's criticisms of Sanders are...perplexing at best, and damn well near hitjob level at worst (on the timing and the intellectual dishonesty and laziness of the Civil War era "radicals"). I also would fall into those "aspirational Obama" liberals he disagrees with (and the irony that a 40 year old black man considers the 55 year old first black president to not understand the true "history" of their situation is not lost on me) - but I also think his views are colored heavily by his rough upbringing and overall pessimism. He's..very American? in his belief that if it doesn't change immediately, it will never get better. He writes about how his dad's views (who was a Black Panther) influenced him - and I wonder as he gets older, he will end up falling towards that same ideology.

There's a saying that a friend of mine from Europe told me about a simple way to explain the differences between Americans and Europeans - in Europe, 100 miles is a long distance; in America, 100 years is a long time. Whenever I think of our reaction to our policies and where they are going, I try to remind myself of that.

Kyosaiga

Banned

Meanwhile, 20% of GOPers said no to Trump, 14% to Jeb. Now, you might think this is not much different, but GOP voters skew older and more reliable as a voter. The people who won't vote Hillary are young voters that don't vote much anyway, so nothing is lost. But for the GOP, if even 10% of normal caucus voters don't vote for Trump/Bush and stay home, what does that tell you!?

You mean to tell me there are 20% of Dems who wouldn't get in line? Are you serious right now?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WACKY BERNIE is my favorite. Just because he finally went and cut his hair.

Also how is it best if Jebra places third? Jebra is not dropping out ever until at least Florida. So we need Christie to stay in and kasich to stay in to continue to allow room for trump to roll.

Also FUCK CHRISTIE

FiggyCal

Banned
WACKY BERNIE is my favorite. Just because he finally went and cut his hair.

Also how is it best if Jeb places third? Jeb is not dropping out ever until at least Florida. So we need Christie to stay in and kasich to stay in to continue to allow room for trump to roll.

Also FUCK CHRISTIE
What does Jeb have to gain for staying that long? Trump is killing it in Florida anyway. There's no way Jeb can win it.

Y2Kev

Jebra is fucking delusional in case you haven't noticed. He's not dropping after NH. He will stay in. We need lots of of establishment poo swimming in the sewer to make this interesting. That's why as much as it pains me, I think Rubio needs to place third and Christie 4th.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jebra is fucking delusional in case you haven't noticed. He's not dropping after NH. He will stay in. We need lots of of establishment poo swimming in the sewer to make this interesting. That's why as much as it pains me, I think Rubio needs to place third and Christie 4th.

Until Trump wins South Carolina and his momentum becomes unstoppable atleast.

You mean to tell me there are 20% of Dems who wouldn't get in line? Are you serious right now?

That's what they claim today.

But it shouldn't noted that.

1. Some will fall in line when push comes to shove.

2. Some, if not many, wouldn't vote anyway aren't even really Democrats.

And in swing states, these numbers will drop even more.

ivysaur12

Banned

Wouldn't it be spelled Jeborah?

Will Jeb stay for Super Tuesday? I'm assuming he'll stay for SC and NV, both of which he'll lose handily. But by then things could look different. Christie (or Kasich), Carson, Fiorina, Paul, Santorum, and Huckabee will be gone. Rubio could be dealing with a scandal. Maybe Jeb stays and becomes the establishment choice...

Probably not. What a disaster.

Y2Kev

Well Donnie douche said on morning joe that it will come down to trump and Jebra so there might be something to that.

I don't see where he goes until right to rise has spent another 40 million.

ivysaur12

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom