• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

One week to go.
Who is hot
Plinko 8/19/15
B-Dubs 8/19/15
Poodlestrike 8/19/15
Jack Remington 8/19/15
Makai 8/19/15
SourShoes 8/19/15
Fenderputty 8/31/15
HylianTom 8/31/15
RastaMentality 9/10/15
brainchild 9/13/15
Melkr_ 9/20/15
RustyNails 9/21/15
Avon Barksdale 9/27/15
tanod 9/28/15
eBay Huckster 9/30/15
Coriolanus 10/2/15
zou 10/2/15
NsQuote 10/2/15
Samarecarm 10/2/15
Ecotic 10/2/15
SL128 10/2/15
Brookshi 10/2/15
*Aaron Strife 8/31/15

who is warm
Frank the Great 8/19/15
Farmboy 8/19/15
ItWasMeantToBe19 8/20/15
KMS 8/20/15
BertramCooper 8/31/15
NYCmetsfan 9/16/15
Black Republican 9/22/15
PantherLotus 9/23/15
Giant Panda 9/23/15
HylianHistoria 9/23/15
Diablos 9/23/15
neurosisxeno 9/24/15
Gnawtydog 9/24/15
RDreamer 9/25/15
Cheebo 9/27/15
Ignatz Mouse 9/27/15
Ivysaur12 9/27/15
Snake 9/27/15
Bronx-Man 9/27/15
Maledict 9/28/15
Roland_Gunner 10/2/15
Officerrob 10/2/15
Bowdz 10/2/15
AnotherNilks 10/2/15
Hopfrog 10/2/15
cartoon_soilder 10/2/15
pigeon 10/2/15
Yellowtall 10/2/15

who is feverish
JesseEwiak 8/19/15
Manmademan 8/20/15
PhoenixDark 9/27/15
Roland_Gunner 10/2/15

who is cold
thepotatoman 9/22/15

gasping for air
NeoXChaos 8/19/15
kingkitty 8/19/15
ErasureAcer 8/19/15
titiklabingapat 8/19/15
Y2Kev 8/19/15
Trouble 8/19/15
j_k_redtail 9/22/15
SexyFish 10/2/15

dead
Joey Fox 9/27/15
FiggyCal 10/2/15

Overkill
Retromelon

Unless I have my young people vernacular mixed up, isn't "Netflix and chill" supposed to mean "come over ostensibly to watch Netflix, but really we're just going to have sex?"

Within the college and mid-20's crowd it's used by people for that reason. It also means come over and watch shows and smoke some weed among certain crowds. I don't think it's used like a pickup line, but more as an indicator that you're down for hook ups. As in "Message me if you want to talk, I'm always down to Netflix and chill too." becomes "Message me if you want to date, but I'm down to fuck if that's what you want."

netflix and hill is when u invite someone over to help wipe servers

*slowclap*

Makai

Trump told CNN he would probably participate, but added: "I'm not 100 percent; I'll see. If I think I'm going to be treated unfairly, I'll do something else. But I don't think she can treat me fairly, actually, I think she's very biased. But that doesn't mean I don't do the debate."

I'm honestly not sure how Trump is going to be able to go a single day in the general without calling Hillary by a gendered insult.

President Obama on Monday announced a ban on solitary confinement for juvenile offenders in the federal prison system, saying the practice is overused and has the potential for devastating psychological consequences.

In an op-ed that appears in Tuesday editions of The Washington Post, the president outlines a series of executive actions that also prohibit federal corrections officials from punishing prisoners who commit “low-level infractions” with solitary confinement. The new rules also call for expanding treatment for mentally ill prisoners.

The president’s reforms are expected to affect about 10,000 inmates.

The reforms come six months after Obama, as part of a broader criminal-justice reform push, ordered the Justice Department to study how solitary confinement was being used by the federal Bureau of Prisons.

Obama is great.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?postshare=5861453772262044&tid=ss_tw

sangreal

cnnstills.png

they couldn't find better photos?

Cheebo

Banned
Trump tends to punch down. Mock those below him in standing gleefully. Getting angry and calling her a sexist slur doesn't fit his MO really it feels like.

Trump hasn't called anybody a bitch yet. I'm sure he can avoid doing it to her.

The only women he's come into contact with in this campaign so far are Megyn Kelly and Carly Fiorina and he came pretty fucking close with those women even though Kelly is a news anchor and Fiorina is a nobody. He's going up against the female Richard Nixon (in terms of political ruthlessness and effectiveness) in the general.

Makai

The only women he's come into contact with in this campaign so far are Megyn Kelly and Carly Fiorina and he came pretty fucking close with those women even though Kelly is a news anchor and Fiorina is a nobody. He's going up against the female Richard Nixon (in terms of political ruthlessness and effectiveness) in the general.
He hasn't called anyone an "asshole" or anything like that. He doesn't use pejorative insults.

Ophelion

Just wanted to say, I read this. Really interesting look into how Clinton sees herself. It's kind of sad that she feels like she has to be so guarded and careful in public, though obviously I understand why she feels that way.

Though certainly my struggles haven't been nearly so public or monumental, I can relate to that feeling of having to fight an uphill battle against cynicism. I really hope that for all our sakes this portrait of her is an accurate one, though for her own personal sake I kind of hope it isn't. Caring to that degree, being punished for it and having to persist anyway for decades because it's the best way to help people sounds like a special circle of hell.

I appreciate that she in one quote differentiated between skepticism and cynicism. That's one of my pet peeves, that people relate them as equal.

Anyway, good piece.

What are the chances Cruz can turn this around by next week? I don't think he's gonna stumble into a 9/11 trap again.

The last couple of weeks have really shown Cruz's weaknesses. Hubris causes him to wade into unwinnable fights and then no one will jump in because he's so disliked.

Very tame and that's just his branding for him. There is no way that Trump brands her as "bitchy Hillary" or whatever.

I think Trump is going to be even tamer in the general.

I think he'll avoid something as blatant as "bitch," but I can certainly see him falling into the trap of using some sort of gendered insult.

Does Bernie hanging out with Killer Mike get approached in the same way?

Killer Mike reached out to Bernie, not the other way around. I'm really not trying to go to bat for him over this, but it seems obvious to me that there's a quantitative difference in the effort Hillary puts in to be "hip" compared to Bernie.

Iolo

Killer Mike reached out to Bernie, not the other way around. I'm really not trying to go to bat for him over this, but it seems obvious to me that there's a quantitative difference in the effort Hillary puts in to be "hip" compared to Bernie.

in Killer Mike's case, Netflix and Chill meant smoke weed and read Bern's tweets

ivysaur12

Banned

How?

Could you imagine if she had done an event called "Netflix & Hill"? There'd be a GAF thread about it with people tearing her apart how she's a pandering, untrustworthy -- well, they might not say bitch out loud, but the dog whistles are there.

In terms of pandering, we have:

-- The Vine of Hillary "chilling" in Cedar Rapids.
-- The Rosa Parks "H" logo change.
-- Abuela Hillary
-- Dancing on Ellen

Can you think of any that spring to mind outside of this? This feels like exactly what we're talking about when we say Hillary is pandering. Yet, "Phone Bank and Chill" and "Talk Bernie To Me" are just as dumb and tone deaf, especially since "Netflix & Chill" is just "let's fuck" and it comically misunderstands the entire meaning.

None of this actually matters, since none of these candidates are actually writing or coming up with any of these ideas (Hillary did not write the abuela listicle. Bernie did not decide to name an event Phone Bank and Chill). Yet they all try to accomplish the same thing and fall on their face doing so.

I don't understand, nor is it obvious, what Bernie is doing here that is different than Hillary's pandering. You have not stated what that difference is besides their "personas", but that just comes down to your own personal preferences of if you like Hillary or Bernie. Which is a bullshit lens to look through.

NeoXChaos

One week to go. In case you missed it:

Who is hot
Plinko 8/19/15
B-Dubs 8/19/15
Poodlestrike 8/19/15
Jack Remington 8/19/15
Makai 8/19/15
SourShoes 8/19/15
Fenderputty 8/31/15
HylianTom 8/31/15
RastaMentality 9/10/15
brainchild 9/13/15
Melkr_ 9/20/15
RustyNails 9/21/15
Avon Barksdale 9/27/15
tanod 9/28/15
eBay Huckster 9/30/15
Coriolanus 10/2/15
zou 10/2/15
NsQuote 10/2/15
Samarecarm 10/2/15
Ecotic 10/2/15
SL128 10/2/15
Brookshi 10/2/15
*Aaron Strife 8/31/15

who is warm
Frank the Great 8/19/15
Farmboy 8/19/15
ItWasMeantToBe19 8/20/15
KMS 8/20/15
BertramCooper 8/31/15
NYCmetsfan 9/16/15
Black Republican 9/22/15
PantherLotus 9/23/15
Giant Panda 9/23/15
HylianHistoria 9/23/15
Diablos 9/23/15
neurosisxeno 9/24/15
Gnawtydog 9/24/15
RDreamer 9/25/15
Cheebo 9/27/15
Ignatz Mouse 9/27/15
Ivysaur12 9/27/15
Snake 9/27/15
Bronx-Man 9/27/15
Maledict 9/28/15
Roland_Gunner 10/2/15
Officerrob 10/2/15
Bowdz 10/2/15
AnotherNilks 10/2/15
Hopfrog 10/2/15
cartoon_soilder 10/2/15
pigeon 10/2/15
Yellowtall 10/2/15

who is feverish
JesseEwiak 8/19/15
Manmademan 8/20/15
PhoenixDark 9/27/15
Roland_Gunner 10/2/15

who is cold
thepotatoman 9/22/15

gasping for air
NeoXChaos 8/19/15
kingkitty 8/19/15
ErasureAcer 8/19/15
titiklabingapat 8/19/15
Y2Kev 8/19/15
Trouble 8/19/15
j_k_redtail 9/22/15
SexyFish 10/2/15

dead
Joey Fox 9/27/15
FiggyCal 10/2/15

Overkill
Retromelon

Stray observations from a quicklook at the CNN Dem national poll today.

Hillarybot's lead is driven by an advantage with women and non-white voters - not a surprise.
Non-white support is firmer than white voters.

Enthusiastic vs Satisfied but not enthusiastic.
Sanders - Men 38v35, women 28v43
Clinton - Men 30v39, women 42v37
Registered voters, dem or ind lean dem.

Honestly I don't see any of that Bernie stuff as pandering, at least not on the level of Hillary's nonsense. Bernie Sanders may have corny ideas for voter interaction but they're pretty much in line with traditional corny voter interaction schemes; before Netflix there was watching a movie/eating pizza with a candidate, for instance.

I'd argue Hillary takes that stuff to another level with focus group based, desperate attempts to impress or attract voters. The abuela stuff, the nae nae, the Chillary vine...pretty much most of her online outreach comes off as amateur hour antics from an out of touch campaign.

How?

Could you imagine if she had done an event called "Netflix & Hill"? There'd be a GAF thread about it with people tearing her apart how she's a pandering, untrustworthy -- well, they might not say bitch out loud, but the dog whistles are there.

In terms of pandering, we have:

-- The Vine of Hillary "chilling" in Cedar Rapids.
-- The Rosa Parks "H" logo change.
-- Abuela Hillary
-- Dancing on Ellen

Can you think of any that spring to mind outside of this? This feels like exactly what we're talking about when we say Hillary is pandering. Yet, "Phone Bank and Chill" and "Talk Bernie To Me" are just as dumb and tone deaf, especially since "Netflix & Chill" is just "let's fuck" and it comically misunderstands the entire meaning.

None of this actually matters, since none of these candidates are actually writing or coming up with any of these ideas (Hillary did not write the abuela listicle. Bernie did not decide to name an event Phone Bank and Chill). Yet they all try to accomplish the same thing and fall on their face doing so.

I don't understand, nor is it obvious, what Bernie is doing here that is different than Hillary's pandering. You have not stated what that difference is besides their "personas", but that just comes down to your own personal preferences of if you like Hillary or Bernie. Which is a bullshit lens to look through.

It's a matter of personal effort, not campaign effort. Hillary made the "chillin'" vine and was dabbing on Ellen, and gives a sense that she is personally concerned with being aware of what's trendy among younger voters. While Bernie's campaign has done some silly things like "phone bank & chill" you don't see a video of Bernie promoting the event himself, for instance. I just don't get the sense that he, personally, is worried about appealing to younger voters the way Hillary often seems.

Again, though, I think the whole argument is pretty silly. I don't have much concern for either campaign or candidate doing this because it's a standard part of presidential campaigns. I just find it hard to believe the argument that Bernie has been equally bad at it, especially when neoxchaos posted a poll earlier today showing that Bernie is like +61 among 18-24 year olds. The argument that they've been equally tone deaf or alienating just seems to contradict the numbers. Similarly, whatever Hillary has done works well among the 65+ crowd and I'm sure much of this is just policy. Nonetheless, these differences in demographic strengths exist.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's a matter of personal effort, not campaign effort. Hillary made the "chillin'" vine and was dabbing on Ellen, and gives a sense that she is personally concerned with being aware of what's trendy among younger voters. While Bernie's campaign has done some silly things like "phone bank & chill" you don't see a video of Bernie promoting the event himself, for instance. I just don't get the sense that he, personally, is worried about appealing to younger voters the way Hillary often seems.

Again, though, I think the whole argument is pretty silly. I don't have much concern for either campaign or candidate doing this because it's a standard part of presidential campaigns. I just find it hard to believe the argument that Bernie has been equally bad at it, especially when neoxchaos posted a poll earlier today showing that Bernie is like +61 among 18-24 year olds. The argument that they've been equally tone deaf or alienating just seems to contradict the numbers. Similarly, whatever Hillary has done works well among the 65+ crowd and I'm sure much of this is just policy. Nonetheless, these differences in demographic strengths exist.

I think Bernie's ability to connect with a younger base has nothing to do with Hillary being $hillary, but more reflective of his positions lining up with where the Democratic party is headed.

It's something of a cycle perhaps noted previously. When you know everything you do or say is going to be scrutinized to an insane degree then you'll be incredibly cautious. If you're incredibly cautious then it can lead to everything being scrutinized for things like "sincerity" and "authenticity." Rinse and repeat for 30+ years in public life.

Like, I'm not sure what reaction this would get on the campaign trail.
Hillary-Clinton-Showing-Off-Her-Dance-Moves.gif

Nor all the pictures we've seen earlier where she's basically an alcoholic.

Obama hit the nail on the head a bit when he said that a major advantage for Sanders is that nobody had any expectations of him coming into this, that relates not only to performance in the actual primaries, but in his public persona. He can let loose. Whereas Hillary Clinton is Hillary Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom