• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
European colleges are also much less internationally competitive than those in the US. Only one school each from Germany and France in the current US News World Rankings.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings

Eh those rankings include research and are far less indicative of quality of tertiary education (thanks for making me feel better about my undergrad showing up on the first page though). The top undergrads in the US also aren't that good for undergrad compared to the small liberal arts colleges (unless you are a research nerd like me).

NeoXChaos

what the fuck, no trump?

why even watch, fuck this

What will likely happen is that Megyn wont be asking him any questions.

CZr33v_WQAE0lDo.png

Re: College, I haven't really looked into it. But that would surprise me.

Re: Health care, we have a Medicare system here, but you will still have out of pocket expenses and are encouraged to take out private health insurance through tax incentives.

If anyone has the info I am somewhat curious which countries have entirely free tertiary education and healthcare systems.

Yeah, I meant "mostly free". I pay about 500€ per year, which also gives me a ticket for public transportation in my state.

FiggyCal

Banned
A Sanders supporter was passing flyers in my school's computer labs. And one of our buildings has a ton of his posters. It's pretty cool seeing all of these active supporters.

Trump not showing up could be massively stupid. Allows his opponents to attack him without him being able to defend himself. And this is in front of a lot of Iowa voters watching on TV, probably.

And they can frame him like a coward. Seriously, not going to a debate because he feels Megyn Kelly is too unfair but he wants to lead the US and deal with Putin, China, Iran, and NK? lol.

He can't afford to skip out now, imo. And if I was Fox, I wouldn't do anything to make him come.

Eh those rankings include research and are far less indicative of quality of tertiary education (thanks for making me feel better about my undergrad showing up on the first page though). The top undergrads in the US also aren't that good for undergrad compared to the small liberal arts colleges (unless you are a research nerd like me).

Even then, a ton of those schools are state schools. It's not like state ran schooling brings down the educational standards.

ivysaur12

Banned
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarra...re-hispanic-us?utm_term=.keBZ3aNNv#.dsEKGWXXP

LAS VEGAS — Near the Las Vegas strip, five women who share a number of qualities sat down for an interview.

The women are all Latina. They’re foreign-born. They’re members of the 53,000-strong Culinary Workers Union Local 226. They work as housekeepers (four of them at Donald Trump’s Las Vegas hotel).

And they’re all in the process of becoming naturalized U.S. citizens.

These women are just five of what labor and immigration activists say are a few of the thousands of Latinos they hope to help naturalize, in pivotal swing states like Nevada, Florida, and Colorado. The reason, they say? Trump made them do it.

“I have realized people have erroneous thoughts about all Latinos, they want to pigeonhole us into things we aren’t like rapists and drug dealers,” said Maria Mendoza, one of the five women, in Spanish. Mendoza was referring to Trump’s now infamous announcement speech, in which he said Mexico was sending rapists and criminals across the border.

She’s lived in the United States for 18 years, and worked at Trump’s hotel for five; one woman in the group has lived here for more than 35 years. Mendoza said her decision to become a citizen originated from the current political landscape. “They don’t realize we come to this country for a dream, and as Latinos, we want to reach that dream,” she said.

In the last 14 years, the local Culinary Union’s umbrella union, Unite Here, has helped push for 15,000 naturalizations. This year, Unite Here wants to help 2,500 people naturalize by June 1, so they can become U.S. citizens before the election — in addition to registering 10,000 new voters.

The list goes on: The Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition (CIRC) wants to help naturalize 1,500 people, along with five to seven partner organizations. SEIU Florida has helped almost 1,000 people already through citizenship workshops the union does in churches, where people are more trusting of immigration-related services. The Florida Immigrant Coalition — which works with SEIU, AFL-CIO, and other groups — hopes to add 1,500 to that number along with its partners.

And then there’s Mi Familia Vota, an advocacy group with a long history of voter registration and naturalization efforts, aiming to help 300 people begin the months-long naturalization process at their first event of the year. Along with partner organizations, the group will help launch the effort in Las Vegas two days before the Republican primaries begin. The nationwide effort led by iAmerica, labor groups like SEIU, and Mi Familia Vota will include events in Colorado, Florida, Texas, and California.

“We’ve seen more people this year that want to become citizens and specifically because they want to vote against Trump,” said Mi Familia Vota executive director Ben Monterroso.

There is a tremendous universe of potential citizens and voters out there. Between 2012 and 2016, the 1.2 million Latinos who had become naturalized citizens were the second-largest driver for the growth in the Latino vote, according to a Pew Research study from last week. And, citing Department of Homeland Security data from 2012, one national organization sees a total universe of 40,000 legal permanent residents eligible to vote in Nevada; 40,000 in Colorado; 80,000 in Arizona; and a whopping 369,000 in Florida.

“We have a new boogeyman,” said 20-year Nevada veteran Democratic strategist Andres Ramirez, referring to Trump. “We’ve had boogeymen in past years but now we have one at unprecedented levels.”

FiggyCal

Banned
What will likely happen is that Megyn wont be asking him any questions.

CZr33v_WQAE0lDo.png

I don't think this picture is accurate. I never heard of Trump asking for $10 million for the CNN debate. He was going to boycott Fox if he didn't get fair treatment and then he had a sit down with Roger Ailes and they came to an agreement. And CNBC denying the decision to shorten the debates had anything to do with the two frontrunners boycotting it, doesn't mean it isn't the case.

Even then, a ton of those schools are state schools. It's not like state ran schooling brings down the educational standards.

Sure but the problem is that a lot of this list seems to be focused less on actual tertiary education and more just on funding/research (which are super important but not necessary for a good college experience). Plus isn't that just a good thing, its not that expensive to eliminate public college tuition (relatively speaking...) but the benefit could be really good (college educated people are generally just better citizens in most metrics).

FiggyCal

Banned
Trump not showing up could be massively stupid. Allows his opponents to attack him without him being able to defend himself. And this is in front of a lot of Iowa voters watching on TV, probably.

And they can frame him like a coward. Seriously, not going to a debate because he feels Megyn Kelly is too unfair but he wants to lead the US and deal with Putin, China, Iran, and NK? lol.

He can't afford to skip out now, imo. And if I was Fox, I wouldn't do anything to make him come.

He's doing a campaign event in Iowa for charity. It makes him look good tbh. And in fact, maybe he's premempting Fox attacking him at the debates and he doesn't want negative questions while he's got the edge over Cruz.

the edgy teenage kid i compared disastermouse to is a trump supporter. He said trump tells it like it is and we need to stop all the mexicans from coming in. I asked him if he knew who his congressman was ;)
he didnt

He's doing a campaign event in Iowa for charity. It makes him look good tbh. And in fact, maybe he's premempting Fox attacking him at the debates and he doesn't want negative questions while he's got the edge over Cruz.

Sounds cowardly to me. I know his fervent supporters won't care, but the iowa caucus is not settled.

And Fox doesn't have to attack him. The other guys can. And will if they're smart.

Fox: Senator Cruz, how would you deal with Putin if he invaded a nation like Ukraine.

Cruz: I'll tell you what I won't do. I won't run away from Putin and hide because I'm afraid like Donald Trump is afraid of Megyn Kelly.

FiggyCal

Banned
Sounds cowardly to me. I know his fervent supporters won't care, but the iowa caucus is not settled.

And Fox doesn't have to attack him. The other guys can. And will if they're smart.

Fox: Senator Cruz, how would you deal with Putin if he invaded a nation like Ukraine.

Cruz: I'll tell you what I won't do. I won't run away from Putin and hide because I'm afraid like Donald Trump is afraid of Megyn Kelly.

The proceeds are going to wounded veterans! Which will go well with the Iowa crowd. Plus I'm wondering if CNN and MSNBC will just show his rally outright during the debates. Just the publicity alone would be great for him even if that doesn't happen.

Edit: also you should be writing this stuff for someone's campaign. That was a good line there.

Teggy

Yup, he'll get slammed over this. And while his hardcore will think he's being a renegade, moderates will think he's a moron for being afraid of librul Fox News. Hillary will be able to nail him on this so easy given what she's been through lately. The ad writes itself.

I mean fool me once shame on you, but come on guys. Now "this" is the thing that will bring down Trump? How many things have there been so far that were supposed to bring down Trump?

the edgy teenage kid i compared disastermouse to is a trump supporter. He said trump tells it like it is and we need to stop all the mexicans from coming in. I asked him if he knew who his congressman was ;)
he didnt
Yeah...I don't really think that was fair to me, then, as I would never be a Trump supporter.

There was a short piece in The Economist the other day with caveats towards the impact of Latino voters.
The report, based on census numbers crunched by the Pew Research Centre, a non-partisan think-tank, predicts that a record 27.3m Hispanics will be eligible to vote in the elections of 2016.
On paper at least, the Pew report offers a second reason for celebration on the left. The Hispanic electorate will not just be larger than ever in 2016, it will be astonishingly young. Almost half of all Latinos eligible to vote this year will be “millennials”, or young adults aged 18-35.
Unfortunately for Democrats, America does not have compulsory voting. That fact has an outsize impact among ethnic, racial and socio-economic blocs with low rates of turnout. As the Pew report notes, with each recent election the number of Latinos who can vote hits a new high. But at the same time, the number of Latinos who do not vote also hits a new high.

It will be interesting to see what a Trump nomination would do to these figures though.

The proceeds are going to wounded veterans! Which will go well with the Iowa crowd. Plus I'm wondering if CNN and MSNBC will just show his rally outright during the debates. Just the publicity alone would be great for him even if that doesn't happen.

Then why not skip every debate for charity? Let's not forget, part of Trump's appeal is his BIG MAN MACHISMO and here he is running scared. If the other dudes successfully attack him and he can't fire back but lots of undecided/swing voters are watching, it could be a yuge mistake.

It's a risky strategy.

Edit: also you should be writing this stuff for someone's campaign. That was a good line there.

I have my own campaign to run so I have to save it up.

I mean fool me once shame on you, but come on guys. Now "this" is the thing that will bring down Trump? How many things have there been so far that were supposed to bring down Trump?

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Back the train the fuck up. I have never said this will undo Trump. I said I believe it's a misstep and that is could be massively stupid. You won't find a single post from me this election season claiming Trump did/said X and so he's done now.

But just because Trump has been bulletproof thus far does not mean he everything he does will come up smelling roses. Lessons from Icarus and all that.

Personally, I think it's a mistake. I don't know if it will cost him Iowa. Partially, it depends on how the other guys attack him and well, they're all mostly morons so there's no guarantee they'll be effective at it (especially Jeb!).

But it seems to me to be a highly risky strategy. Show up to the debate, do what you always do (hell, Megyn probably has to be on her best behavior to not get slammed), and just play it safe.

But this strategy opens him up to unknowns. And in politics, you don't want unknowns.

Sure, but how would you suggest ranking them then? Even if we look at college as solely a signaling mechanism to employers, that top 10 posted are basically what employers look for when they look at your Alma mater, so...

and I'm not just saying this because my school is in the top 5. Lol

Not sure if posted, but Obama will be hosting Sanders at the WH tomorrow. Timing is kind of random given the recent interview and stories out about his close aides + closeness to IA caucuses.

Sure, but how would you suggest ranking them then? Even if we look at college as solely a signaling mechanism to employers, that top 10 posted are basically what employers look for when they look at your Alma mater, so...

and I'm not just saying this because my school is in the top 5. Lol

Pls my undergrad could beat up your undergrad :p ...
jk berkeley destroys columbia
(honestly Berkeley is a true research powerhouse)

Obviously the rankings are helpful overall but lets be honest that large research universities are much less focused about undergrads than small liberal arts colleges. You don't need to go to harvard to learn a lot in college. I don't even know why we are arguing about this given just how the brain drain to america has really benefited us (why do you think both my parents from iran came here?).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
grad schools in the US are often why people come for college here. Fantastic opportunities / education and a path to citizenship.

grad schools in the US are often why people come for college here. Fantastic opportunities / education and a path to citizenship.

And then we abuse them and pay them shit in the name of "education." Grad school is no longer the grand opportunity it once was.

Anyone wanna link to why Bernie doesn't like this FDA nominee? I assume ties to pharma.

ICKE

Banned
Then why not skip every debate for charity?

This is exactly what he might do. Trump is an entertainer, he doesn't really need these lukewarm debates. No one really gets anything out of prepared statements and 30 second sound clips.

Come general election, he might just skip all the debates and do his own thing.

FiggyCal

Banned
This is exactly what he might do. Trump is an entertainer, he doesn't really need these lukewarm debates. No one really gets anything out of prepared statements and 30 second sound clips.

Come general election, he might just skip all the debates and do his own thing.

Not every debate. But he's got a slim lead now; why not take it and run. Why risk damaging himself with a subpar performance or helping Cruz if he has a strong performance at the debates?

Bowdz

It could definitely cut either way, but I think the calculus is pretty simple. For Trump, it has been and always will be about coverage and smothering the GOP field. Now more than ever, he just needs to dominate the coverage until Iowa. If you show up at the debate, you risk getting hammered by Cruz and Kelly (and until the 9/11 moment, Cruz ran circles around Trump last debate) and even if he does well, coverage will be split amogst him, Cruz, and Rubio. Compare that to him going rogue. He will dominate tomorrow's cycle because of this news, depending on his event, he can siphon coverage away from the debate Thursday, Friday becomes the where was Trump story (again, if his event really does raise money for WW, he ends up looking great), and the weekend coverage all ends up talking about this move.

He definitely risks looking cowardly, but can mitigate this by agreeing to be interviewed by Kelly tomorrow or Friday one v one. It all comes down to how he handles his event and if it makes a big enough splash.

Proves us all wrong Trump. Make this shit work.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
And then we abuse them and pay them shit in the name of "education." Grad school is no longer the grand opportunity it once was.

Anyone wanna link to why Bernie doesn't like this FDA nominee? I assume ties to pharma.

I know. The missus has 2 masters' and closing in on her ph.d - and she's better off teaching HS. Thankfully I (currently) have a decent enough paying job that I can cover both of us even somewhere as expensive as Seattle. But I got lucky with my job / field, and most people don't get that lucky. :-/

Yerp.

Not just that, tho. He ain't flying solo
WASHINGTON, Jan 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said on Tuesday he has placed a hold on President Barack Obama's nominee to head the Food and Drug Administration, claiming he is too close to the pharmaceutical industry to be an impartial regulator.

The move by the U.S. senator from Vermont comes one day after Democratic Senator Edward Markey of Massachusetts also placed a hold on the nomination until the agency agrees to reform its process for approving opioid painkillers.

The nominee, Dr. Robert Califf, is a cardiologist and researcher who joined the FDA a year ago as a deputy commissioner. He previously held senior positions at Duke University, where he founded a large academic research center that received more than half of its funding from the drug industry.

NeoXChaos

THE BLAME GAME BEGINS

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/republicans-point-fingers-who-let-trump-get-this-far-218260

With time running out until the first primary votes are cast, establishment Republicans have begun a ferocious round of finger-pointing over who is to blame for the party’s failure to stop Donald Trump.
The chiding, once limited to private conversations, is now erupting in public view – with campaigns, operatives, donors, party officials, and conservative intellectuals arguing over why something hasn’t been done to stop the man who has been leading nearly every state and national poll since August. Trump, many in the GOP’s upper ranks are convinced, would lead the Republican Party to an epic defeat in November, with consequences all the way down the ballot.

“This whole thing is a disaster,” said Curt Anderson, a former Republican National Committee political director and veteran operative. “I think I’ll write a book about it.”
Receiving much of the blame is Right to Rise, the cash-flush super PAC that broke records when it announced last year that it had raised more than $100 million in support of Jeb Bush. The group has directed relatively little of that sum toward attacking Trump – instead focusing its efforts on taking down Bush’s establishment rivals, above all Marco Rubio. To date, the group has spent around $5 million on TV commercials going after Trump, while dropping four times as much in negative ads against Rubio. The latest spot, which came Tuesday, hammered Rubio over his messy financial history.

“Right to Rise has done more to advance the candidacy of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump than they ever did for Jeb Bush,” said Joe Pounder, a senior Rubio adviser. “Donald Trump doesn’t need a super PAC. He's got Jeb’s.” (“I’m willing to bet we’ve spent more than any other Republican campaign or organization has to date,” Paul Lindsay, a Right to Rise spokesman, shot back.)
Yet others say it’s unfair to solely blame Bush – and that Rubio is just as culpable. Despite winning the support of an array of deep-pocketed donors, including hedge fund manager Paul Singer and tech titan Larry Ellison, Rubio has and his allies have done little to attack Trump. Of the $33 million that Rubio and the super PACs supporting him have spent on television ads, none of it has been against Trump. He rarely tweets about Trump, and when asked about him in interviews, Rubio tends to dodge the question.

There are worries among top Republicans, too, that the RNC is abandoning its post-2012 "autopsy," which urged the GOP to reach out to minority groups or risk decades in the political wilderness.
Sally Bradshaw, a longtime top Bush adviser who helped write the report, blamed a "lack of courage in our party" for the failure to take on Trump, as Bush has. She called Trump a “bigot” and said he “couldn’t unite our party and bring women, Hispanics, and independent voters into the fold.”
“We won’t beat Hillary Clinton with Donald Trump as the nominee,” she added. “It doesn’t take a whiz-bang political data scientist to figure that out."
In some instances, anger has begun boil to over. Earlier this month, during the RNC’s winter meeting, Holland Redfield, a party committeeman from the Virgin Islands, rose during a private breakfast to vent to Priebus about Trump. During the impromptu speech, Redfield complained of the pressures to not speak out, saying that, “We’re almost terrorized as members of our party.”
In an interview, Redfield said that other RNC members had privately applauded him since his speech became public. But he predicted that, if Trump becomes the nominee, the party would face an intense battle between those who were going along with his candidacy and those who aren’t.
“It will be a major internal fight,” he said. “I feel the party has been hijacked.”

Pls my undergrad could beat up your undergrad :p ...
jk berkeley destroys columbia
(honestly Berkeley is a true research powerhouse)

Obviously the rankings are helpful overall but lets be honest that large research universities are much less focused about undergrads than small liberal arts colleges. You don't need to go to harvard to learn a lot in college. I don't even know why we are arguing about this given just how the brain drain to america has really benefited us (why do you think both my parents from iran came here?).

The revolution? I mean, that's why my dad came here from Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom