• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Wow at Trump.

I think it's a mistake. The debate will basically turn into 2 hours of "Trump can't handle a debate, how can he handle carrying the conservative cause? What happens when he is president?"

This could backfire huge.

Does he know this and is okay with losing or does he think he'll be fine?

Makai

Wow at Trump.

I think it's a mistake. The debate will basically turn into 2 hours of "Trump can't handle a debate, how can he handle carrying the conservative cause? What happens when he is president?"

This could backfire huge.
Agreed. But imagine if he gets higher ratings!

Makai

CZriajjWwAEZu9y.png:large

Guys stop diablosing. This is not going to backfire on Trump. His people have already gone to the rapture. His support is the lion's share equal to 41% of the total vote between 8 candidates. I dont think even Raygun carried that much lead into a primary. No amount of call outs by Jeb or Cruz is going to bring them back. No one's even going to watch the debates anyway. It might peel off a couple of percentage points because of gravity, but again like I said Trump has so much capital he can take it. I still think its a stunt and he will come back.

Guys stop diablosing. This is not going to backfire on Trump. His people have already gone to the rapture. His support is the lion's share equal to 41% of the total vote between 8 candidates. I dont think even Raygun carried that much lead into a primary. No amount of call outs by Jeb or Cruz is going to bring them back. No one's even going to watch the debates anyway. It might peel off a couple of percentage points because of gravity, but again like I said Trump has so much capital he can take it. I still think its a stunt and he will come back.

I think the confusion is why even bother with this stunt when you're already gaining even more strength on the eve of the Iowa primary. But Trump's going to be Trump.

Futurematic

Guys stop diablosing. This is not going to backfire on Trump. His people have already gone to the rapture. His support is the lion's share equal to 41% of the total vote between 8 candidates. I dont think even Raygun carried that much lead into a primary.
Via WashPo
A June 1979 Washington Post poll found Reagan lapping the field, with 43 percent support to just 16 percent for then-fast-fading former Texas governor John Connolly
There's a reason Sears thought he had it in the bag before Bush surprised in Iowa. But yeah I think you're right.

Edit: whoops I think that was national, Reagan was at 50% in Iowa at one point (via FiveThirtyEight):
Although the Des Moines Register poll had Ronald Reagan leading with 26 percent, Reagan’s support was down from the 50 percent he held a little over a month before the caucuses.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know, it just occurred to me, but what if Trump managed to buy ad time during the debate and aired a commercial that was just him shit talking everyone?

Only way this could all get better.

Bowdz

I think the confusion is why even bother with this stunt when you're already gaining even more strength on the eve of the Iowa primary. But Trump's going to be Trump.

It's just like him carrying guns. Sometimes he's packing heat, sometimes he's not, because he likes to be unpredictable.

Honestly, I have to say a non-negligible part of me want to see a Trump presidency just to see this shit pulled with China and to see his constantly awesome press statements.

I fucking love this cycle so goddamn much.

Bowdz

You know, it just occurred to me, but what if Trump managed to buy ad time during the debate and aired a commercial that was just him shit talking everyone?

Only way this could all get better.

Holy shit that would be amazing.

Honestly, if Trump goes to CNN and gets them to live broadcast some rally/telethon for Wounded Warriors, get some bands, get some surrogates, and new endorsements, I think it will be enough to carry him through the weekend. He is going to live or die based on his counter event and the follow through.

Also, Trump = Captain Kirk and the Fox Debate is the Kobayashi Maru. Trump doesn't believe in no win scenarios.

FiggyCal

Banned

No one has gone in as hard on Trumo as fox did and particularly Megyn Kelly. Plus he's literally working Iowa by having a charity event for veterans. This has to play well, at least locally.

Cruz asking for a 1 on 1 debate does seem extremely desperate now that he's trailing Trump.

FiggyCal

Banned
Didn't Fox have to burn bridges with National Review to appease Trump in the first place? Now he's not even showing up to the debate? What a madman.

62% of the people Donald Trump RTed this week follow multiple White Supremacist accounts.

Two weeks ago the leading Republican candidate for US President was widely criticized for retweeting a white supremacist Twitter user with the name “@WhiteGenocideTM,” whose linked website sung Hitler’s praises.

It turns out that’s not an anomaly, it's a pattern. Inspired by a new Twitter account that tweets out the bios of anyone Donald Trump retweets (because they’re often remarkable), we went and looked up those people he's introducing to his audience of 5 million+ Twitter followers. In order to learn more about them, we analyzed the networks of people that those people he retweeted are following on Twitter, using Little Bird's influencer discovery and social network analysis software.

It turns out that Donald Trump mostly retweets white supremacists saying nice things about him. At least so far this week’s that’s been how it's gone. This isn’t one person, of the last 21 accounts retweeted by @RealDonaldTrump so far this week, our automated analysis of their accounts finds that:

28% of them follow at least one of the top 50 White Nationalist accounts on Twitter (6 of 21)
62% of them follow at least 3 people who’ve used hashtag #WhiteGenocide lately (13 of 21)

rjinaz

I don't understand why Sanders needs to have a schedule of debates ahead of time. Doesn't he have his stump speech memorized already?

Obviously kidding.

I don't understand MSNBC trying to force this. Neither Sanders nor Hillary will do this without the DNC okaying it.

Oh come on, that's not even worth a news article. The Sanders campaign has said for months they would love more debates, but the DNC put their foot down and said unsanctioned debates are a no-no. It literally says 4th paragraph in;

He added that if the Democratic National Committee did sanction the debate, the campaign’s stance would be different.

So yea, Bernie doesn't want to get locked out of the next few televised debates which is exactly what would happen. Honestly, the proposed debate in that article sounds kind of awesome. Given Chuck Todd and Rachel Maddow as moderators we can only assume the entire debate would be focused on Progressive issues, which I think would give Sanders a slight edge tbh.

Honestly, the proposed debate in that article sounds kind of awesome. Given Chuck Todd and Rachel Maddow as moderators we can only assume the entire debate would be focused on Progressive issues, which I think would give Sanders a slight edge tbh.

If Chuck Todd is a progressive, then I'm a beautiful princess. He is a tool of the first order. Meet the Press is dead to me now because of his idiotic comments on....well, everything. Rachel as a moderator would be perfect, but if Chuck is there, I'd have to be shit faced to not want to beat myself in the face having to listen to him talk.

He is one of the few people on NBC that I can't stand even in small doses.

Him and Dr. Nancy Snyderman.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Of all the obvious things that should crash Trump's candidacy, this feels like the real thing. Which means he'll get a big boost probably.

Nancy Snyderman left NBC News last year.

I know, I threw a party.

I, legitimately, loathed that woman. It's completely irrational, but she just absolutely annoyed me. Once when I was being a complete bitch, my ex screwed up my YouTube play lists with clips of her to teach me a lesson.

Chuck Todd, I have a more rational dislike for.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kind of disappointed with Sander's stance here. He should have said he'll do it if Clinton and the DNC sanction it, he didn't need to add in all the "we want a schedule" stuff. I mean I can see how it can be an inconvenience but sometimes you just have to roll with it especially when you have complained about the lack of debates in the past.

It makes sense. If he wins Iowa he wouldn't want to give Hillary a debate to look good in, let's face it according to basically everyone she's won all of them so far, and hurt his momentum.

If he went then Hillary would be forced to and DWS would be forced to sanction it.

I heard O'Malley and Clinton already okayed the debate, so Bernie backing down looks really dumb.

Like, what is the DNC going to do? Lock out all 3 candidates from their debates? If all 3 agree, the DNC will simply sanction it.

It would be one thing if Bernie said "sure, if they other two are up for it," but to just say "no thanks unless the DNC sanctions it" looks bad.

His campaign managers really do suck. Moreso given Bernie said he'd do a debate previously.

If Chuck Todd is a progressive, then I'm a beautiful princess. He is a tool of the first order. Meet the Press is dead to me now because of his idiotic comments on....well, everything. Rachel as a moderator would be perfect, but if Chuck is there, I'd have to be shit faced to not want to beat myself in the face having to listen to him talk.

He is one of the few people on NBC that I can't stand even in small doses.

Him and Dr. Nancy Snyderman.
+1. How did he even get the job at MTP?

I heard O'Malley and Clinton already okayed the debate, so Bernie backing down looks really dumb.

Like, what is the DNC going to do? Lock out all 3 candidates from their debates? If all 3 agree, the DNC will simply sanction it.

It would be one thing if Bernie said "sure, if they other two are up for it," but to just say "no thanks unless the DNC sanctions it" looks bad.

His campaign managers really do suck. Moreso given Bernie said he'd do a debate previously.
I think Bernie has to step more carefully here, as the DNC is really trying to find a way to stop his run. Hillary Clinton could set fire to DWS's house and they wouldn't kick her out of the debates. O'Malley is at, what, 4%? So there'd be no reason to kick him out either.

I think Bernie has to step more carefully here, as the DNC is really trying to find a way to stop his run. Hillary Clinton could set fire to DWS's house and they wouldn't kick her out of the debates. O'Malley is at, what, 4%? So there'd be no reason to kick him out either.

You really think that if all 3 show up to an unsanctioned debate that the DNC would allow Clinton and O'Malley in but not Bernie to a sanctioned one?

I mean...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom