• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm watching Trump live. I don't like him, but I think he's playing a game, he's just trying to play on the team he can win it on. He'd run for the Democrats if he had a chance, but there's no way it would work, so he's running as a Republican.

People thought at first if Trump was the candidate, it would be a landslide for Clinton, I thought so too, but not anymore. The guy is very clever. The way he just explained how he's now pro-life was perfect. He can get away with anything.

His stances on some issues are radical, but how much that would really play against him I'm not sure. A lot of people don't vote in the US, and he can get a lot of those, he's the perfect candidate for the undecided voters who lean a bit right. Basically he has no plan, he just has to say whatever he has to to get support, and he's real good at it. The policies will come once elected, by working things out with his staff. No one will hold him accountable on the right, they'll just be glad to be in power and he won't be the outsider he claims to be since he doesn't have to once elected, it's just a trick to get support.

I can't say he's sure to win if he runs against Hillary or Bernie, but he has a real chance even if people say demographics play against him, because he could bring out the vote that usually doesn't show up. If Hillary gets some trump (ha!) cards, partly as a result of money moving her way from people who would normally finance a republican candidate, and partly as a result of people who thought they wouldn't get involved involving themselves due to being real afraid of her losing to Trump (Michelle Obama could run for her, Obama could too, Gore, the whole Avengers team), then she has good chances. But the more radical Bernie supporters risks hurting her, and the more money and support she gets the more Trump will be able to play on that itself to some extent.

If Bernie runs, then we end up in a situation where the debate risks becoming highly polarized, where Bernie will fuel a rally from the left, a strong people movement, but Trump could use that itself to neutralize it by making himself sound like a moderate, make people afraid of the other side, which he's really good at and for which he'll have plenty of margin after winning the candidacy.

So I don't know, best thing that can happen is Trump doesn't become the candidate, but I think unless they kick him out it's not happening. But if he runs, I put it at 50/50, and that's the optimistic scenario.

Yerp.

Not just that, tho. He ain't flying solo

It's bullshit- I'm a cardiologist and have heard Dr. Califf speak several times and spoken to him personally. To claim he's a mouthpiece for big pharma is ridiculous.

In my field (cardiology), almost every major trial has been sponsored (in some degree) by the pharmaceutical industry. It's incredibly unfair to pain Dr. Califf as a spokesman for big pharmaceuticals- he is arguably one of the biggest proponent of evidence based therapies in management of cardiovascular disease.

The fact is that industry has been absolutely critical in bringing many drugs to the market. Trials for statins, for example, initially enrolled 15,000 plus patients. That isn't cheap and NIH funding isn't exactly going up.

The FDA isn't perfect but holding up Dr. Califf's nomination for these reasons is just silly.

ivysaur12

Banned
HOLY SHIT THIS STATEMENT

CZsS-xfXEAAE-UJ.jpg:large

Me neither. Funny how that works now don't it...

Ok I might..if I'm bored.
But I do think he's just pulling a stunt like he does every week to stay in the news. He picked a high profile battle in the last week to completely drown out everyone. Part of me believes that he will sign up at the last minute.

Actually I think that's exactly it. He's going to sign up at the last minute to drum up hype and drive mammoth ratings.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I might tune in for Jeb. I still get a chuckle out of how bad he is at speaking.

This is the moment Jeb's numbers start their meteoric rise, all as predicted!

Probably called his mom all giddy up to tell her bad Donald won't be there and he'll finally get his chance to shine.

Owzers

I don't get why Trump is shaking things up when in the polling he's taken back his lead against Cruz. I still think Cruz will win Iowa, but wouldn't it be wiser to keep doing what you're doing and see if you steal Iowa from Cruz? Show up, see if Rubio and Cruz go after each other, call Jeb a little girl ( or was that SNL....it's all the same really.)

Megyn Kelly ruins everything.

Gabe Sherman, the expert on Fox News internal politics, just tweeted this:
Gabriel Sherman said:
Trump source says Trump isn't taking Ailes calls. Hannity just tried calling trump as an emissary. Trump only wants to deal with Murdoch now.
Trump gives literally no fucks. Its amazing.

Actually, I can see this being an alright strategy for him.

He drums up the fact that he won't be there, the ratings crash because people watch for the lolz, and then he gets to run around saying "See? The people want me more than anything!"

Then he gets to act all statesman by raising money for Veterans. If there aren't a metric fuck tun of press there, I'd be shocked. That fundraiser will be all over every news outlet that isn't Fox News.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gabe Sherman, the expert on Fox News internal politics, just tweeted this:

Trump source says Trump isn't taking Ailes calls. Hannity just tried calling trump as an emissary. Trump only wants to deal with Murdoch now.

Trump give literally no fucks. Its amazing.

This literally keeps getting better and better. He's going to tear down all of Newscorp at this rate.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

He drums up the fact that he won't be there, the ratings crash because people watch for the lolz, and then he gets to run around saying "See? The people want me more than anything!"

Then he gets to act all statesman by raising money for Veterans. If there aren't a metric fuck tun of press there, I'd be shocked. That fundraiser will be all over every news outlet that isn't Fox News.

And he could raise a lot of money if they take donations by phone. I can see it now, Trump talking with an old lady doing volunteer as a receptionist for that event, with various other old people behind him taking phone calls with the number on screen. A little musical show here, a little interview with someone who endorses (sitting on a chair with the receptionist behind talking on the phone). It's a wrap!

HylianTom

Banned
We knew he'd pull a stunt - we just didn't know precisely what.

This is brilliant. Holy hell. This is how he goes into the weekend. His event will be on TV, that he'll have special guests, maybe an endorsement or two.. this man is damn good.

Exactly what I was thinking.

GnawtyDog

Banned
HOLY SHIT THIS STATEMENT

CZsS-xfXEAAE-UJ.jpg:large

He's playing not to lose and in this case it might be particularly smart. Fox is the last front of the establishment and openly waged war on him in the very first debate in an effort to sink his candidacy. They were rather unsuccessful the first time but when you're so close to the primaries there is absolutely no need to go willingly into a trap and dare an impossible escape. The time for recovery from a potential feud gone wrong is low (Iowa caucuses are barely a few days away). Trump doesn't have weeks to recover. Not to mention, all of his opponents will make a last ditch effort to sink him in that debate, (plus Fox). He's avoiding all of that... without Trump's presence the only thing they'll have are cheap shots that won't hold much time in the debate. He has little to lose by refraining from going. Trump's opponents have everything to gain from him showing up.

By restraining from showing up Trump literally takes away any concerted effort by the moderators to pigeon hole him with direct and unavoidable negative questioning. Fact is, no one has gone as dirty nor as fierce as Fox moderators since the first debate - not even close.

So Trump takes away a great chunk of the ratings, sticks his middle finger to Ailes, Fox, the establishment, and all of his opponents while doing a positive press charity event that will be covered by practically everyone.

The side noise of him being a "coward" running away from the establishment is just that, noise. It's not like they haven't called him facist, racist, clown, joke, narcissist etc before. As long as he avoids a face to face, nationally televised confrontation like the first one, and a potential feud gone wrong - he's gold.

He can appear in any other debate going forward and thus the myth of not participating in debates (cowering) becomes history.

Love it.

Cruz is going in hard on Trump now. Ask for a 1 on 1 debate, any moderator. Basically calling Trump a coward. Used the line about Kelly and Putin that I gave.

Also said Trump claims Cruz is stupid, so if then it should be an easy 1 on 1 debate for him.

That if he doesn't debate him, he shouldn't be Prez.

He also has a new website called https://www.duckingdonald.com

LOL

GnawtyDog

Banned
Cruz is going in hard on Trump now. Ask for a 1 on 1 debate, any moderator. Basically calling Trump a coward. Used the line about Kelly and Putin that I gave.

Also said Trump claims Cruz is stupid, so if then it should be an easy 1 on 1 debate for him.

That if he doesn't debate him, he shouldn't be Prez.

He also has a new website called https://www.duckingdonald.com

LOL

Desperate. We'll see if it works next monday. They'll literally throw the kitchen sink at him. It's lovely to watch.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow at Trump.

I think it's a mistake. The debate will basically turn into 2 hours of "Trump can't handle a debate, how can he handle carrying the conservative cause? What happens when he is president?"

This could backfire huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom