• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
The amount of posters who seriously back Trump (and many as an alternative to Bernie) in the OT is baffling. I don't get it.

Cheebo

Banned
I was here in the 2008 primaries in those political threads as well. And it was 98% Obama supporters, like 2% Hillary. 0% for Republicans. This is just bizarre.

The amount of posters who seriously back Trump (and many as an alternative to Bernie) in the OT is baffling. I don't get it.

It's not that hard. They see the political system as completely broken. As such there's absolutely no point in trying to work with in it, with more of the standard political type. So you do something vastly different. Like electing Donald Trump.

The way they see things is that electing a standard political type is 100% not going to achieve anything good, so the n% chance of Trump achieving something good makes it worth ignoring the chance he'll be a complete disaster.

cheering for Trump against the rest of the Republican field does not mean one is a Trump supporter

Trump is sticking it to Fox News; killing the Republican establishment.

in the end

Hillary wins.

2009-2010 Obama: Got a ton of great, progressive shit passed.

Dems are discouraged and stay home in 2010 midterms.

1. Bernie Sanders gets elected
2. Bernie Sanders gets none of his agenda done since Paul fucking Ryan is the Speaker of the House.
3. ???
4. Dems somehow don't get discouraged and there's a political revolution in the 2018 midterms!

1.Any dem gets elected.
2.Any dem gets sweet fuckall done since etc
3.???
4.Republican supermajority.

seems high bar.

I still feel like, seeing as how a large part of the political revolution is about campaign finance being more important than what a candidate says they believe that increasing turnout won't help as much as it could. I feel like a lot of people are going to vote for independents/libertarians/green partiers because they feel democrats are in the same realm of corruption. He's thrown people who would vote in support of his policies under the bus because of how they raise money and not how they necessarily vote.

Well it makes sense seeing as how now where you get money from is more important than what opinions you have or what policies you believe in. Trump is the only other politician running that doesn't have a super pac. Some have been riled up so much about campaign finance many will switch to Trump for that reason alone.

Jeb trying to emulate Trump

@JebBush Poor Little Donald isn’t getting his way.

39bot.gif

HylianTom

Banned
It's not that hard. They see the political system as completely broken. As such there's absolutely no point in trying to work with in it, with more of the standard political type. So you do something vastly different. Like electing Donald Trump.

The way they see things is that electing a standard political type is 100% not going to achieve anything good, so the n% chance of Trump achieving something good makes it worth ignoring the chance he'll be a complete disaster.
Yup.

It's a Fairy-Unicorn Magic Theory of Political Change. If we elect NonStandard Politician, those pesky structural/Constitutional limitations - along with the rather successful opposition party that's been very effective at leveraging those limitations - will maaaaagically dissipate, allowing us to finally Get Shit Done.

Cheebo

Banned
1.Any dem gets elected.
2.Any dem gets sweet fuckall done since etc
3.???
4.Republican supermajority.

Hillary isn't promising a revolution. She is saying she will continue to use executive orders like Obama and nominate solid liberals to the court. Those are promises she has made and will be able keep. She isn't promising the world.

Hillary isn't promising a revolution. She is saying she will continue to use executive orders like Obama and nominate solid liberals to the court. Those are promises she has made and will be able keep. She isn't promising the world.

I guess the retort would be, why not bernie then? He will do the same thing and in the lottery winning even that somehow he has a cooperative congress he can pass more stuff.

She isn't promising the world that is a good point. Please be excited?

rjinaz

I guess the retort would be, why not bernie then? He will do the same thing and in the lottery winning even that somehow he has a cooperative congress he can pass more stuff.

i think it's largely because they see Hillary as a sure bet, whereas they think Sanders can be brought down by a Republican. I don't see it though. It's going to be Trump and Trump isn't going to have what it takes.

To be fair, i still have a hard time seeing a scenario where Bernie wouldn't take an establishment vp (and a VERY estab vp at that) precisely in order to calm The Average Voter. Is what was done in SA when the left started taking presidencies, anyway. As mentioned before, he should get hills, and, should he pull the miracle needed to defeat her (alternatively, if hills commits so many damn mistakes that hubris does her in again), she might as well accept, given that her presidency ain't ever gonna happen after that.

Has the benefit of also causing Maximum Meltdown on all sides.

#believe

Ignoring that the solid liberals also goes for any dem (and the same can probably be said.of the exec orders, but fuck if that wouldnt be a bad look for Mr Red October), why would that improve turnout during midterms?

Cheebo

Banned
if you peel those layers back it gets ugly real fast. That is the only thing to get about it.

I do think there is a lot of racism and sexism in the "Bernie or Trump only" picks, of course. I mean the blatant racism and sexist comments that are all over the Sanders subreddit along with the endless "if Bernie loses then I am voting Trump" there which is far more significant of a force there than here is hard to ignore.

There is a lot of ugliness in this particular niche of a niche.

Yup.

It's a Fairy-Unicorn Magic Theory of Political Change. If we elect NonStandard Politician, those pesky structural/Constitutional limitations - along with the rather successful opposition party that's been very effective at leveraging those limitations - will maaaaagically dissipate, allowing us to finally Get Shit Done.

I mean its probably better than the alternate for the moment. Which is where dissatisfaction reaches a point that someone does start an actual genuine revolution.

rjinaz

Watching that freed reporter on CNN. How heartbreaking. Frak the Iranians and what they did to him, that psychological bullshit.

So...the 'Why Bother: Vote Hillary' campaign is really resonating!

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I do think there is a lot of racism in the "Bernie or Trump only" picks, of course. I mean the blatant racism that was over the Sanders reddit along with the endless "if Bernie loses then I am voting Trump" there which is far more significant of a force there than here is hard to ignore.

Yeah it can swing a lot of ways, so I didn't want to necessarily define it.

I am with you though, I've noticed some glaring trends here on gaf and fark, as well.

Don't worry guys, if Trump gets elected he won't get anything he wants done.

If Sanders gets elected we will totally wake up to free healthcare though.

I have no idea why you'd think Trump won't get anything he wants done if he's elected*. The chances that Trump gets elected without the Republicans getting a super-majority in the house and controlling the Senate is approximately 0. Some of Trump's more appalling ideas are exactly what some Republicans have been dog whistling in elections, if Trump straight up proposes those things they aren't going to back away from supporting them especially since the same kind of electoral realigning would guarantee they'd get primaried if they didn't.

*Beyond wishful thinking.

I think its important to try and understand why people would say Trump or Bernie. Their policies are pretty different unless you try to think Trump is still 2000-era Trump and Bernie has been much (not at all?) much less sexist/racist/bigoted. I think it boils down to anger and frustration. People are frustrated with the system. Perhaps they don't fully understand all the minutiae of the President and Congress but they think "standard" republicans and democrats won't do much. Anger leads to rashness and letting the good ol fashioned tribalism that every human is cursed with to roar out (I think theres some really interesting neuro work on aggression in UCLA/Caltech if anyone's interested). I think its important not to hand wave groups of people as just racists/bigots (which they are but it misses the underlying causes). They are acting bigoted for a reason, and I think its partly that the government doesn't represent them well at all. Now, the anger against Clinton I think is (hopefully) mostly misplaced. A government full of clintons would probably be quite progressive (unless she actually is pure evil :p) and make more people happy. But she's an easy target and there's enough muddiness in the waters that it may not be quite as clear that she has good intentions at heart (plus there were some decidedly not progressive things passed under/with bill clinton's approval that may turn a few heads).

Tl;dr: humanize everyone and try to understand even if they are bigots. There are some people who are bigots because it makes them feel good, and more because they are angry and its easy to give into that urge to fall back on tribal values.

I have no idea why you'd think Trump won't get anything he wants done if he's elected*. The chances that Trump gets elected without the Republicans getting a super-majority in the house and controlling the Senate is approximately 0. Some of Trump's more appalling ideas are exactly what some Republicans have been dog whistling in elections, if Trump straight up proposes those things they aren't going to back away from supporting them especially since the same kind of electoral realigning would guarantee they'd get primaried if they didn't.

*Beyond wishful thinking.
There's that and there's also something sadly hilarious about people unironically claiming that Trump would be better because he "tells it like it is" and isn't controlled by special interests, yet somehow would be completely crippled in the presidency and unable to enact his agenda.

Better than the people who then say he's just pandering to voters I guess. Because you know, it's different than when Hillary tells people she supports gay marriage now. What a flip-flopping shrew!

Cheebo

Banned

Because she is at least being honest and not lying to the base.

When it comes to policy promises it's ironic that the "untrustworthy" Hillary is the one being honest while Bernie is knowingly making promises he knows he cannot keep.

noshten

They are unaware of the great history of America electing entertainers into the White House.

They are unaware of the great history of America electing entertainers into the White House.

That may not be the best counter example. Reagan had huge political impacts that vastly reshaped the face of things. It caused a major shakeup in the Democratic party for one thing I mean if you're goal is to shake things up, then the precedent for electing an entertainer is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom