• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
He doesn't hate Hillary at all. In fact, he said he really likes her. He just wants to support Bernie to send a message to the DNC about the viability of more far left candidates.He was a Biden guy in 08, then a Hillary guy, then an Obama guy for the GE.
In that case, he sounds great. Go get that roll in ze hay!
tumblr_lqydnj2DHW1r1u0b4o1_500.gif

NeoXChaos

I just can't wait to hear the msnbc election music.

"we can now project that Hillary Clinton will win the IA Caucuses"
"we can now project that Donald Trump will win the IA Caucuses"

Todd: Republicans can start panicking. Hillary can breath easy tonight.

He doesn't hate Hillary at all. In fact, he said he really likes her. He just wants to support Bernie to send a message to the DNC about the viability of more far left candidates.He was a Biden guy in 08, then a Hillary guy, then an Obama guy for the GE.

I want Hillary to get the nom, but I'm voting Bernie to send a similar message.

Not necessarily saying this is wrong, but I heard months ago Iowa is more about meeting expectations than winning because of how the media reacts to the results. I wouldn't say NH is since historically nominees place first or second, but that can always change. That XKCD comic gave a compelling narrative.

Expectations are important in Iowa. I think Bernie's campaign has failed to play the expectations game correctly, though. Hillary's been ahead for months in Iowa. By most reports, her ground game is better than his. Her support is more widely spread out. However, he's been trumping how great he's doing in the polls. Which, it makes sense. He needed to try to control the narrative. Had he played it close to his chest though, said the polls are the polls, and then Hillary ends up wining it wouldn't have really hurt him. Now, though, the expectation is in that he's surging in the polls, that he's got a great chance. (Which he does.) If Hillary wins now, she can claim momentum. She fought back. It was competitive and she managed to show she is not inevitable but stronger.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
More like Hillary Clinton really has to wonder what happened to her large advantage with one legged Mexican migrants that have diabetes? No one expected this and sanders will fight her all the way to her indictment.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Holy shit. I just saw CNN coverage of today's Hillary rally with a lady describing what the ACA had done for her. Her daughter had brain cancer at 25, and got to stay on their plan. At 26, she was covered by Medicare for a year and then she got to get an affordable policy off of the market place while her mom got one as well when she quit her job to spend more time with her daughter. Finally, her daughter's family got marketplace coverage when the daughter's husband's employer insurance rates got jacked up.

It was incredibly emotional and impactful all politics aside.

Damn, this is what I miss when I don't have a TV with CNN in the cubicle. Damn my boss for demanding we do work at work!

That sounds a bit like my own story, minus the marriage and brain cancer. I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs if it weren't for the ACA, I imagine there are thousands of stories like that.

More like Hillary Clinton really has to wonder what happened to her large advantage with one legged Mexican migrants that have diabetes? No one expected this and sanders will fight her all the way to her indictment.

BLOOMBERG!!!

Sounds good, you go get that D. You hear?

Can't hate a Biden guy, those dudes like to party.

I'ma be chill as fuck, though. Play it cool. I'm totally good at that. /s

In that case, he sounds great. Go get that roll in ze hay!
tumblr_lqydnj2DHW1r1u0b4o1_500.gif

Like I said, I will not compromise my Christianity.

"we can now project that Hillary Clinton will win the IA Caucuses"
"we can now project that Donald Trump will win the IA Caucuses"

Todd: Republicans can start panicking. Hillary can breath easy tonight.

From your lips to god's ears.

I want Hillary to get the nom, but I'm voting Bernie to send a similar message.

I totally respect that.

There was also a story in the DMR about a woman Hillary spoke with about how she lost her home because of cuts that affected her as a widowed woman. The woman was very impressed by Hillary. When people actually see her, see her speak, see her interact with people....they typically like her.

DAUOmcI.jpg

I wish Biden ran this time, although I don't think his heart would have really been in it. But I would have supported the shit out of him and would probably be actively rooting for him to win the primary. My support for Bernie is pretty similar to what you described.

My journey in 08 was something like "anyone but Hillary" (driven entirely by "lol she would get her period and start WW3 mirite" high school immaturity) -> Edwards (for like two days lol, then he dropped out) -> Obama -> "I guess McCain would be alright" (picks Palin) -> nope, Obama. I mean I was 17 by election day so none of it really mattered.

teiresias

So, I went over to the ladies house who is hosting the phone bank tomorrow. She also does my hair, because she's a retired hairdresser and I hate going to the beauty shop. PLUS, last week I dyed my hair purple to celebrate one of my friends being testicular cancer free for an entire year. Anyway, we were talking and setting things up, and her son came in. He's a year older than me, and just moved back to Ohio from Vermont. He's a huge Bernie fan. He and I spent the better part of an hour talking politics, between making my hair a normal color again.. We disagreed on a lot, but he kept me on my toes.

Anyway, long story short, he asked me out...but I think it's mainly so I can't phone bank on Sunday too. So, I have a date with someone who is #FeelingtheBern. Plus, like he said, we may not want to talk to each other ever again after Monday night.

I will not compromise my integrity or Christianity, though. I'm thirsty, not dehydrated.

You did at least verify he wasn't voting for Trump if Hillary is the dem nominee right?

NeoXChaos

I wish Biden ran this time, although I don't think his heart would have really been in it. But I would have supported the shit out of him and would probably be actively rooting for him to win the primary. My support for Bernie is pretty similar to what you described.

My journey in 08 was something like "anyone but Hillary" (driven entirely by "lol she would get her period and start WW3 mirite" high school immaturity) -> Edwards (for like two days lol, then he dropped out) -> Obama -> "I guess McCain would be alright" (picks Palin) -> nope, Obama. I mean I was 17 by election day so none of it really mattered.

and miss the first black president followed by the first woman president? no way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'ma be chill as fuck, though. Play it cool. I'm totally good at that. /s

Like I said, I will not compromise my Christianity.

You should totally compromise your Christianity given the chance, Jesus would understand.

The whole Beau thing happened at the worst time for that, it also took a huge player out of future elections if Obama was to be believed.

Biden, at the very least, would have given the media the horse race they wanted and would probably have KOed a couple of GOP candidates while he was at it. This whole thing would have been a lot more fun with him.

That was the year I was 18. I was still trying to figure it out but was leaning between Obama and Hillary, with the thought that McCain wouldn't be too bad (until Palin lol).

You did at least verify he wasn't voting for Trump if Hillary is the dem nominee right?

Yes. He's voting for Jill Stein.

Kidding. Hillary all the way.

You should totally compromise your Christianity given the chance, Jesus would understand.

The whole Beau thing happened at the worst time for that, it also took a huge player out of future elections if Obama was to be believed.

Biden, at the very least, would have given the media the horse race they wanted and would probably have KOed a couple of GOP candidates while he was at it. This whole thing would have been a lot more fun with him.

That was the year I was 18. I was still trying to figure it out but was leaning between Obama and Hillary, with the thought that McCain wouldn't be too bad (until Palin lol).

I will violate the hell out of my faux Christianity if given the chance. Hahaha.

I remember when 2000 John McCain was reasonable. 2000 John McCain didn't seem as wackado as 2008 John McCain. They should have left him the hell alone and let him pick Lieberman. He was going to lose regardless.

Wilsongt

So, I went over to the ladies house who is hosting the phone bank tomorrow. She also does my hair, because she's a retired hairdresser and I hate going to the beauty shop. PLUS, last week I dyed my hair purple to celebrate one of my friends being testicular cancer free for an entire year. Anyway, we were talking and setting things up, and her son came in. He's a year older than me, and just moved back to Ohio from Vermont. He's a huge Bernie fan. He and I spent the better part of an hour talking politics, between making my hair a normal color again.. We disagreed on a lot, but he kept me on my toes.

Anyway, long story short, he asked me out...but I think it's mainly so I can't phone bank on Sunday too. So, I have a date with someone who is #FeelingtheBern. Plus, like he said, we may not want to talk to each other ever again after Monday night.

I will not compromise my integrity or Christianity, though. I'm thirsty, not dehydrated.

That is a hit it and quit it situation right there, gurl.

A really cute guy I know is feeling the bern. I always hate discussing politics with gay men. Always afraid one of then is going to be a Republican. And not a economic Republican, but Ted Cruz/Donald Trump republican.

Kyosaiga

Banned

I wonder if 18 year old me would believe 23 year old me about the state of politics in 2016 if I'd believe me

and miss the first black president followed by the first woman president? no way.
I would see Biden as a third Obama term, which I would take over any new candidate tbh. Just wish there was some way to win a stable Congressional majority, even if Democrats scraped one together in November it would probably be a pretty bare one and be lost in 2018.

Just gimme some of that student loan reform

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't understand people saying this is a non-story.

I mean it totally is... for now only though right? Doesn't this increase the odds that she actually sent one of these with that classification at the time?

Not really. If she did that would have been the first thing leaked. The fact the leaks are always about stuff that was classified after the fact is telling.

PBY

Banned
Not really. If she did that would have been the first thing leaked. The fact the leaks are always about stuff that was classified after the fact is telling.

I totally get that... I dunno I guess reading stuff like this worries me.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty informed as far as politics goes and I can't keep track of the Hillary email shit. More importantly, I don't see how the average voter could parse it. It won't kill her, but it certainly does the job of putting the stink of wrongdoing on her.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I mean it totally is... for now only though right? Doesn't this increase the odds that she actually sent one of these with that classification at the time?

Probably, but...

There is that.

Based on the sheer volume of email and the convoluted process of classifying info - I won't be surprised if she ended up sending / forwarding some kind of email that was classified. That said; until she gets indicted, it's not newsworthy to me.

sangreal

If she did, that is a completely separate issue from this whole private email server thing. It would mean the state dept was flouting the rules entirely. If Hillary were not using her private email server for these emails, she would have been using the state departments non-classified email system -- just like most of the other recipients/senders of these emails.

Properly classified documents were sent over another channel entirely

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll be honest, I'm pretty informed as far as politics goes and I can't keep track of the Hillary email shit. More importantly, I don't see how the average voter could parse it. It won't kill her, but it certainly does the job of putting the stink of wrongdoing on her.

Which is the whole point.

Based on the sheer volume of email and the convoluted process of classifying info - I won't be surprised if she ended up sending / forwarding some kind of email that was classified. That said; until she gets indicted, it's not newsworthy to me.

Honestly, that would surprise me. It just seems like such a careless thing for someone so details oriented. I also imagine she had a pretty good idea of what the state department was classifying and what it was not.

HylianTom

Banned

It's not sexy enough for the average voter. There's no smoking gun or glove-don't-fit or blue dress for the press to wave around. After a while, it becomes muddied to the point where folks who aren't invested have their eyes glaze over.

But when it's your best shot to take her down, that's what you go with.

PBY

Banned
Probably, but...

There is that.

Agree 1000% with the bolded. The volume combined with the scrutiny, plus this new story, does make me nervous though. I think calling it a total non-starter is somewhat burying your head in the sand, and that's not to imply bad intent on her part or any malfeasance.

Iolo

It's the same emails as the inspector general for intelligence agencies sent a message to / leaked to Congress about last week. One of the emails "focused on a forwarded news article about the classified U.S. drone program run by the CIA". State reclassified these at their behest just now.

The crux of this is that some or all of this info may be in public domain or in news articles, but intelligence agencies (or Republicans) don't give a crap about that distinction, things are classified and that's it. The FBI, however, will take note of this distinction.

Not a good look before Iowa regardless.

Good thing bernie already dismissed email talk during debates.

Gods, that man is so presidential! *swoon*

(but for reals, that narrative is mad stale and prolly won't affect anything at all unless something horrendously flagrant comes up, especially when her direct competition at the moment already said f dat s)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Honestly, that would surprise me. It just seems like such a careless thing for someone so details oriented. I also imagine she had a pretty good idea of what the state department was classifying and what it was not.

It's nothing against her - it's an indictment of how ridiculous the classification process is. There are blank pages in emails that are considered classified. As for knowing what was being classified or not - the funniest subplot to this entire thing is that it is becoming apparent that even the State Department / Feds in general didn't know what was actually classified and what wasn't, and are just now figuring it out.

Agree 1000% with the bolded. The volume combined with the scrutiny, plus this new story, does make me nervous though. I think calling it a total non-starter is somewhat burying your head in the sand, and that's not to imply bad intent on her part or any malfeasance.

Indeed. Even if she has stuff on the e-mail server, I don't particularly care. It's not like the secure servers were much safer.

Which is the whole point.
I know, I guess my point was for those people who keep wondering why this keeps coming back: Because it tricks some people (including myself) every time.

Maybe it's help if someone did a better than box breakdown thread on the subject.

I know, I guess my point was for those people who keep wondering why this keeps coming back: Because it tricks some people (including myself) every time.

Maybe it's help if someone did a better than box breakdown thread on the subject.

Not that different from Benghazi. You keep bringing it up until people are so confused that it just reminds them of some negative sentiment around your opponent.

It's not sexy enough for the average voter. There's no smoking gun or glove-don't-fit or blue dress for the press to wave around. After a while, it becomes muddied to the point where folks who aren't invested have their eyes glaze over.

But when it's your best shot to take her down, that's what you go with.
The private email server is the smoke. They're portraying the classified emails as the fire.

Indeed. Even if she has stuff on the e-mail server, I don't particularly care. It's not like the secure servers were much safer.
That's a partisan rationalization. If it were Rumsfeld in this situation 10 years ago, no liberals would be cutting him slack because the government servers "aren't much safer."

The bottom line is if Hillary didn't do this dumb shit we wouldn't have to hear about it. Unforced error and all that.

congrats, man. thats probably the best part of campaigns. sorry to get all greg cote back in my day, but back in my day during the obama campaigns it was a lot of fun to meet various women... high stress + lack of sleep = why not? ahh...those were the days..

So about 7 EST. Well, if that's in line with everything else we pretty much know how it'll end.
The madness will finally, finally be over. It's like finding out that you got the job after a hard interview. And got promoted on the spot. Then got free company paid vacation to hawaii.

Cant wait until monday night.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The private email server is the smoke. They're portraying the classified emails as the fire.

That's a partisan rationalization. If it were Rumsfeld in this situation 10 years ago, no liberals would be cutting him slack because the government servers "aren't much safer."

The bottom line is if Hillary didn't do this dumb shit we wouldn't have to hear about it. Unforced error and all that.

Nah; that's not partisan rationalization.

That's in response to this:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/politics/office-of-personnel-management-data-breach-20-million/

We KNOW the government servers aren't much safer. :p

Not that different from Benghazi. You keep bringing it up until people are so confused that it just reminds them of some negative sentiment around your opponent.
Maybe. Benghazi always came off as not-picking because they misidentified the cause. I don't think the stand down thing would sway any impartial voter because I don't why Obama would want them to stand down.

Anyway the movie failing makes me think the matter is dead. If it couldn't sink Obama then it doesn't matter now.

Iolo

Weather update: maybe not so Establishment after all

Snow is on the way to Iowa but it looks like it won't arrive until after the last vote is cast on caucus night.

Kevin Skow, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, said caucusgoers can expect decent travel conditions Monday evening, with only a slight chance of rain for southern Iowa.

No need to throw the weather under the bus bringing the college kids back to their home precincts.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ucus-storm-could-drop-6-inches-snow/79504266/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom