• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one true form of entertainment to rule them all.

I'm talking about audiobooks. Eh? Eh? :D

But really, as PD and Vertigo mentioned, book Stannis aint such a freaking fundie.

And yeah, the prose has been getting worse. DwD had some real problems.

I'd argue the fourth book features his best prose. Martin isn't some amazing writer but he's good at what he does. His strength is dialogue, and world building as well if you're into that. He doesn't have a long, super detailed lore in place like Tolkien but what he has definitely works well; especially the more recent history such as Robert's Rebellion and the Defiance Of Duskendale.

It's hard to get too upset over DwD's issues given how torturous the process was (although AFFC was obviously a problem for him too). Now that he's solved the two problems (5 year gap and the Meereenese Knot) I think he's in a far better place now, and can focus on his strengths again.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. I'm not convinced the RNC/GOP making this move (if that is indeed what is happening) is them pressing the red button -- but rather making a move as early as possible to intentionally get him off the brand as soon as possible.

2. It will probably fail, but if you squint you can see the thinking. Force him to declare 3rd party, let him fizzle out while we protect the brand, and if we lose we can blame him. So maybe it won't fail.

3. They have indeed seen all the same numbers we have. They are so fucking fucked. Announcing a brokered convention 'if needed' might be the first real strategically interesting thing that party has done since McCain chose Palin. (I said interesting not sound!)

1. I'm not convinced the RNC/GOP making this move (if that is indeed what is happening) is them pressing the red button -- but rather making a move as early as possible to intentionally get him off the brand as soon as possible.

2. It will probably fail, but if you squint you can see the thinking. Force him to declare 3rd party, let him fizzle out while we protect the brand, and if we lose we can blame him. So maybe it won't fail.

3. They have indeed seen all the same numbers we have. They are so fucking fucked. Announcing a brokered convention 'if needed' might be the first real strategically interesting thing that party has done since McCain chose Palin. (I said interesting not sound!)
I agree with all of this. Trump's threat yesterday was that of he goes 3rd party, he will take 70% of the electorate with him. Today the party is threatening him back. Lets see how your noisy group of idiots survives the wilderness, especially when all the party delegates wash their hands off you.

They are hoping this rebellion will be shortlived and the old adage "Republicans fall in line" holds true for one last time, especially after they see Hillary on the ballot. It's a high risk move, not a panic button. But the wildcard is and has always been Trump. Can or will he sustain his third party through the conventions and will he get enough support.

This is interesting. Suffice to say you might be the only person I've ever seen give this opinion. The consensus is that while GRRM isn't William Faulkner, he's pretty good at prose.

I heard this fairly often. Even though the prose is well above the average genre fiction (better than say, Stephen King), it's still rambling and stilted.

Are we theorizing that they're trying to force him to go third-party now? Or in the midst of the primaries?

Because they have basically zero leverage to be able to do that right now.

ivysaur12

Banned

Yup yup yup.

NeoXChaos

So I asked Kyle Kondik this:

is the party legal bound to give Trump the nom if he got the magic number? ex: overturn will of people. give it to rubio?
His response:
Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 2h2 hours ago
@NeoXChaos if he wins a majority of the delegates then he'll be the nominee. If not, anything goes, probably

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is interesting. Suffice to say you might be the only person I've ever seen give this opinion. The consensus is that while GRRM isn't William Faulkner, he's pretty good at prose.

Compared to other fantasy writers, yes. Compared to the larger pool? No way. He's a medium sized fish in a tiny pond.

So I asked Kyle Kondik this:

His response:

Yep. If their plan is to get him at the convention they need to hope he doesn't hit the magic number or they're screwed.

Makai

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...aaa5fe-9df8-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html

The group, Right to Rise, has already gone through nearly half of the $103 million it brought in during the first half of the year, records show. It raised only about $13 million in the five months that followed, according to a person familiar with the figure.

That leaves the super PAC with about $67 million heading into the first 2016 GOP nominating contests. The sum still surpasses the resources of rival groups, but it is not clear whether Right to Rise’s financial might — viewed earlier this year as Bush’s distinct advantage — will be enough to help separate him from the pack.

Hillary just tweeted this out.

CV5x0MsWcAEuES9.png:large

I think I threw up in my mouth.

That CBS poll is a real eye opener. Big support for stricter gun control and only slightly opposed to an assault rifle ban, but when asked which party people trust more to deal with gun control....

Republicans.

Another hilarious poll.

Some 60 percent of respondents aged 18 to 29 told Harvard's Institute of Politics they either "strongly" or "somewhat" supported sending ground troops to combat militants who have seized territory in Syria and Iraq, as well as orchestrated or inspired deadly attacks in California.

Despite their support for sending troops, 85 percent of respondents told pollsters they would "definitely" or "probably" not be willing to join the military. Republican respondents were most willing to serve, with 24 percent responding that they would "definitely" or "strongly consider" joining the armed forces, if they had not already enlisted.

"As long as it's not me, I'll tweet in solidarity with the soldiers though"

Another hilarious poll.

"As long as it's not me, I'll tweet in solidarity with the soldiers though"

I don't like the idea you can't have a say in how the military is used unless you serve. Isn't the the whole idea behind the society in StartshipTroopers

"I want the cops to stop the criminal"
"Not unless you become a cop!"

Makai

I forgot how disturbing Starship Troopers is. Also a better movie than I remember.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just came to post that because I'm watching the movie now. I did not read NYCmetsfans post.

I don't like the idea you can't have a say in how the military is used unless you serve. Isn't the the whole idea behind the society in StartshipTroopers

Pretty much..

Only military members can vote and be citizens.

I forgot how disturbing Starship Troopers is. Also a better movie than I remember.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just came to post that because I'm watching the movie now. I did not read NYCmetsfans post.

It's a pretty good movie and a better book supposedly. The Navy and Marines have it for their required readings.

At the same time, people should ask themselves if they aren't willing to serve, is this a land war we should engage in? Its sad how just a few years after Iraq people are so willing to get into another quagmire.

Makai

It's like a utopian fascist* society where you have to risk being ripped apart by giant space aliens for citizenship but there's also no sexism or racism and the military is even sex positive.

*pending approval

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1. I don't agree with everything Trump says but he's the only honest politician and this country needs a change.

2. I can't decide between Bernie Sanders and Donald. They both appeal to me.

3. Both parties are the same basically.

Makai

1. I don't agree with everything Trump says but he's the only honest politician and this country needs a change.

Have mercy. Most people don't follow politics very closely.

SL128

What did I just read

Edit: Ok, good
Politics threads on Gaf are amazingly full of this shit. These are the top three dumb shitty things I see daily:

1. I don't agree with everything Trump says but he tells it straight and we need a change.
2. The country is about to turn into the UK from V For Vendetta, perhaps tomorrow.
3. We can't do anything about X so what's the point?

East Lake

To be fair there's some truth to those points and they're compelling because centrist parties haven't dealt adequately with the problems those types of people would have.

Makai

It's just like Bill Clinton said. There's a macho appeal to, "I'm fed up with nothing happening. Vote for me. I'll get it done."

Trump embodies that, but Sanders has a bit of it in him.

To be fair there's some truth to those points and they're compelling because centrist parties haven't dealt adequately with the problems those types of people would have.

Centrist elements within the parties that tried to change things; the extremist elements from the right stop most of it and along with the centrist elements of the right sometimes. No it is not really true at all. The problem is those people that say these things haven't got a clue.

The people that have those problems could have been solved or explained if they have a clue. They don't mostly.

Favorite is Huelen's Bernie > Carson > Trump ranking which is based on what would hurt him less personally, and Clinton is completely out of the picture. Like, what.

I don't think he's ever stated why he thinks this way, it has to be a character.

There's a weird amount of overlap between people who support Trump and Bernie. I suppose it's just a coalition of people frustrated with establishment politics. Neither are your typical party candidates.

It's not enough to stop establishment corruption. You need to stop the corruption and legislation blockage that is the "veto" power of certain individuals in the house and senate.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There's a weird amount of overlap between people who support Trump and Bernie. I suppose it's just a coalition of people frustrated with establishment politics. Neither are your typical party candidates.
The biggest Bernie Sanders fan in my Facebook was a diehard Ron Paul supporter.

These are the scariest voters, they're really not even paying attention to the stated policies, only the angry and frustrated tone. You could say anything in a certain way and they'd be for it.

It's a pretty good movie and a better book supposedly. The Navy and Marines have it for their required readings.
I can't tell if it's a satire or not. They nailed the tone either way.
FYI, Starship Troopers the movie is a satire (and fucking amazing).

The novel is not, but rather straight military sci-fi. It's often accused of glorifying war and of having fascist undertones, although has just as many fans as detractors. Paul Verhoeven, director of the movie, would say he strongly disagrees with the politics on display in the novel.

East Lake

Centrist elements within the parties that tried to change things; the extremist elements from the right stop most of it and along with the centrist elements of the right sometimes. No it is not really true at all. The problem is those people that say these things haven't got a clue.

The people that have those problems could have been solved or explained if they have a clue. They don't mostly.
Frankly I don't think 95% of people in this thread have a clue despite following politics super closely, and that includes myself on a lot of the stuff I posted. I don't mean that as a knock on you either, just feel that's the way it is.

I think the judgment you've made is basically backwards. Trump's appeal is not entirely based on illogical issues, and instead of blaming some low info working class people who don't have a clue and don't read the nyt oped section you should be angry with the parties who either haven't dealt with or exacerbated their problems.

User 406

Banned
Both parties are just long organic compound chains interacting. They're the same.

Which is why Bernie is our only hope! Or Mr. Trump !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom