• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Rick Santorum is getting 1/30th the number of votes he got four years ago.

Cruz has 41,000 already vs. ~30,000 for Santorum in 2012.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just checked in after watching the Big Short.

Bernie within 2 points of Hillary? Amazing. I called Trump under performing in Iowa months ago. Sad to see Cruz will win though.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Tonight is a disaster.

A complete and total disaster.

It's indeed.

Cruz winning stops Trumps steamroll. Rubio overperformed massivily and that has ramifications as to what the establishment rallies around. Rubio is a dangerous candidate for any of the two Dem frontrunners. He's more of a threat vs. Bernie than Hillary, but still a major threat to Hillary. Meanwhile on the Dem side, evenly split, if Iowa flips or ties, that's a protracted campaign fight.

He was polling at 11% in Iowa average this week. He is finishing about 24% here. Way easier to surge even more than that with the momentum out of Iowa and Trump imploding.

Caucus states are MUCH more difficult to poll than ballot states though. Recall that in 2012 Santorum came out of fucking nowhere to win it over Rand Paul and Mitt Romney.

Republican friend of mine who works for Jeb just sent me a text:

"multiple staffers on phone begging a couple donors not to jump to Rubio tomorrow. Rubio is the establishment candidate now. And I'm starting to think he can beat Cruz. Remember, immigration was the #1 issue for republicans at the caucus and he still did very well.

Teggy

Clinton declaring victory? I don't like that move.

Does Jeb bring out the big guns to really torpedo his protege now?

Rubio proves that the no real operation, don't ever talk to people in person, no ground game, campaign from a Starbucks strategy works!

I wonder if this is a LePen like situation where when the white nationalists might actually win (like Trump), then voters overwhelmingly turnout to try to stop it.

PBY

Banned
He's more of the same, she's more of the same. Nothing to really get anyone excited, so no new demographics showing up. She'll win that based on pure Dem positioning in the presidential race.
He's young. He's from FL. I understand his numbers with Latinos, but his amnesty history allows him to pivot and reach out. Hillary has emails looming.

This is bad. Really fucking bad.

lenovox1

Not 100% comparable considering the caucus/primary difference.

Right, seeing as a primary is a straightforward ballot, the polling more accurate reflect the percentages each candidate will win.

BUT being this close in Iowa is phenomenal for Rubio. He'll get more media coverage, more money, more speaking time in the next debate, and will be seen as the moderate's choice by many (even though he's not a moderate).

benjipwns

Banned
Assuming the current % or something like it, holds, the delegate allocation will be:
Cruz: 8
Trump: 7
Rubio: 6
Carson: 3
Paul: 1
Jeb: 1
Kasich: 1

I hate making statements like this but I think Trump is finished. Maybe he wins NH, maybe he wins SC...but it's quite clear his campaign is a facade. Yes caucuses are very different from primaries but a ground game is a ground game: you need one. He doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom