• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fuck man, sorry to hear that. D:

How are you dealing with that?

It's all good. I got real bitchy for a while. Did the whole poor me thing for a year or so. But, then I realized that there was no reason it shouldn't have been me, and just kinda had to start dealing. Some days I'm a total bitch about it. Most days, I just try and find something to laugh about. I threw myself into my writing since I couldn't do ceramics anymore.

And, hey, I just found out that I'm having my 3rd short story published! I'ma lso working on getting one of my plays I wrote staged. (I won a $10,000 scholarship for it). So, I just focus on what I can do and find way to deal with the things I can't do (like drive). THere's a chance they can restore some of my vision.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Jeb's endorsement would be useless to Trump anyways. Jeb won't swing any votes Trump's way and Jeb's supposed big money operation hasn't helped him at all and would be equally useless to Trump. I think Jeb still thinks he's a big player in the republican party because of his last name, but clearly that isn't the case anymore.

I think if JEB and others like Graham were to say they aren't supporting Trump, without saying they endorse Clinton, then they are effectively saying "I'll be staying home and not voting" rather than the current line which is "I don't like Trump but anybody is better than Hilary!" line they are all trotting out.

If that is a message that starts to gain traction, then I can see some frustrated establishment Republican voters taking that as tacit approval to sit this election out and blame the eventual result on everybody else e.g. "I didn't vote for him/her!".

Will take more than JEB for such a sentiment to have any momentum, but if others like Graham who are on the verge of saying that themselves anyway support that message then it could have a tangible impact if a couple of percentage points of Republicans stay at home during the general.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I just found out the Fed raised interest rates for the first time in nearly a decade, which is going to possibly be a problem by November (as they said they plan on raising it even further by the end of 2016). Job growth will almost definitely be effected. Would have been nice if they held off on raising it until after the elections. Any economic pain that followed would have subsided by 2020.

Thoughts?

It's all good. I got real bitchy for a while. Did the whole poor me thing for a year or so. But, then I realized that there was no reason it shouldn't have been me, and just kinda had to start dealing. Some days I'm a total bitch about it. Most days, I just try and find something to laugh about. I threw myself into my writing since I couldn't do ceramics anymore.

And, hey, I just found out that I'm having my 3rd short story published! I'ma lso working on getting one of my plays I wrote staged. (I won a $10,000 scholarship for it). So, I just focus on what I can do and find way to deal with the things I can't do (like drive). THere's a chance they can restore some of my vision.

Glad to hear you're staying positive. It's fucked up that so many people only have the option of getting some serious medical damage or going bankrupt.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Monetary policy isn't a long-term means of lowering unemployment unless you want to cause inflation. US inflation barring oil is looking like it will hit target soon, and in general continue to rise. Given the monetary policy has a lag, rates need to increase now to counter where inflation will be in 9-12 months time given said rise. So, I think the Federal Reserve was right. The caveat to that is that this means it is the job of the government to ensure employment continues to rise.

Monetary policy isn't a long-term means of lowering unemployment unless you want to cause inflation. US inflation barring oil is looking like it will hit target soon, and in general continue to rise. Given the monetary policy has a lag, rates need to increase now to counter where inflation will be in 9-12 months time given said rise. So, I think the Federal Reserve was right. The caveat to that is that this means it is the job of the government to ensure employment continues to rise.

Which is kinda sad because the Feds only fucked with rates to this extent because of congresses inaction regarding fiscal stimulus.

So I just found out the Fed raised interest rates for the first time in nearly a decade, which is going to possibly be a problem by November (as they said they plan on raising it even further by the end of 2016). Job growth will almost definitely be effected. Would have been nice if they held off on raising it until after the elections. Any economic pain that followed would have subsided by 2020.

Thoughts?

Glad to hear you're staying positive. It's fucked up that so many people only have the option of getting some serious medical damage or going bankrupt.

Eh, it's a quarter of 1 percent raise. And by the election, they probably won't raise it more than another quarter of a percent.

It had to be done eventually (if another recession hits, what will the Fed do if it can't reduce rates other than QE?).

It's really small, the markets will adjust, and the economy might be calling for it. Some don't agree, but it's not significant enough to have such a huge impact, IMO.

There's a good chance job growth will not be affected at all.

Something that's been ignored the past 8 years is that the elderly have been crushed by these low interest rates. A lot of them relied on their CD money to supplement their SSI money. Not that this small raise will have much of an affect on that, but the economy has been rough on everyone, even the retired.

But, see, that actually surprises me. Because, and maybe I'm just an idiot, I don't think Trump is completely stupid. He's mostly stupid, yes, but not entirely. This whole primary has played directly into Trump's hand. You couldn't script this. It's fun as hell to watch, even when I get sick to my stomach that any segment of our country is that stupid.

Nah, aside from the religious bits, that's standard Trump. His views remain somewhat coherent even when you dig up very old interviews. Also explains why he doesn't back down in some areas and defends what would be seen as liberal stances.

Come to south america, crab. I'll introduce you to wicked fast "policy implemented => wtffffffffffffff" cycles.

iirc some here vented about bams really capping/reducing public worker numbers, so if they wanna keep employment up, wouldn't be surprised if they started reexploring that venue to some extent.

the most insulting thing I've read all day:
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/rush-limbaugh-ted-cruz-debate-216878
Rush Limbaugh lavished praise on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz for his debate performance, calling him an articulate and “happy warrior” of the conservative movement.
“Ted Cruz speaks like a traditional powerful, well-versed proud — unabashedly proud — conservative. He is an articulate representative of conservatism and the conservative movement, and he is a happy warrior,” the radio host said during his Wednesday program, according to a transcript.
it's true what they say, your reward for a life long lived is to see everything you once loved turned to shit
A morbid bonus:
Limbaugh complimented both Cruz and Trump for eschewing the politically correct “niceties and the details” when discussing the Islamic State, NSA surveillance and fighting terrorism writ large.
“The PC crowd and the moderators say: Well, you can’t do that! There are innocent children and civilians and so forth,” the host continued, lauding them on their take-no-prisoners style. “I think it’s effective. So Cruz and Trump last night, to me, were the winners.”

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
the most insulting thing I've read all day:
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/rush-limbaugh-ted-cruz-debate-216878

it's true what they say, your reward for a life long lived is to see everything you once loved turned to shit
A morbid bonus:

I really think after the next polls come out the establishment is going to give up and start rallying behind the Trump/Cruz pairing.

As for the debate, almost 24 hours later and I'm still stunned at how bad Carson's "brain surgery on children" analogy was when it came to civilian casualties. I mean, wow.

Something that's been ignored the past 8 years is that the elderly have been crushed by these low interest rates. A lot of them relied on their CD money to supplement their SSI money. Not that this small raise will have much of an affect on that, but the economy has been rough on everyone, even the retired.
Hard to feel sorry for too many of them considering the "fuck you - got mine" attitude many of them seem to have.

And far more of them have pensions than folks our age will when we retire.

Thoughts?

The problem is when you raise rates, reduce deficits rapidly, and the global economy is a mess at the same time. That would likely be dangerous combination. But it doesn't look like the US is going to go down that path based off what Paul Ryan is trying to help push through.

Hard to feel sorry for too many of them considering the "fuck you - got mine" attitude many of them seem to have.

They'll gladly take medicare but vote to fuck future generations over via the voucher system as well.

That's a pretty callous way to dismiss a whole class of people. What about the sizable population of retired people who don't have that attitude?

watershed

Banned
I think if JEB and others like Graham were to say they aren't supporting Trump, without saying they endorse Clinton, then they are effectively saying "I'll be staying home and not voting" rather than the current line which is "I don't like Trump but anybody is better than Hilary!" line they are all trotting out.

If that is a message that starts to gain traction, then I can see some frustrated establishment Republican voters taking that as tacit approval to sit this election out and blame the eventual result on everybody else e.g. "I didn't vote for him/her!".

Will take more than JEB for such a sentiment to have any momentum, but if others like Graham who are on the verge of saying that themselves anyway support that message then it could have a tangible impact if a couple of percentage points of Republicans stay at home during the general.

True but this isn't new. Plenty of republicans have stayed home before because they weren't enthused about their candidate. People say this is exactly what happened with McCain and Romney. Obama even joked about how many republicans secretly voted for him in 08 because McCain became a bit unhinged towards the end and Sarah Palin scared a lot of sensible republicans.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just read Hannity's comments on how he doesn't support the Geneva Convention rules. What a jackass.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just read Hannity's comments on how he doesn't support the Geneva Convention rules. What a jackass.

Modern movement-conservatives (read: not establishment) don't care how vile your positions are, as long as you say it with conviction and never apologize. Especially to "sniveling bitch liberals" and "PC pussies."

Edit: this was meant to be in response to people gobbling up the xenophobia and racism not hanitty stuffs. I care enough to edit, but not enough to fix it.

Hexa

kMWC04Y.png

Whoa. o_O
At War with The Blaze now. He's probably going to wage war against every part of the conservative establishment. I mean, I get that that's his thing, but it still surprises me as he's still a Republican.

Also, he's on Kimmel in like 10 minutes.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
kMWC04Y.png

Whoa. o_O
At War with The Blaze now. He's probably going to wage war against every part of the conservative establishment. I mean, I get that that's his thing, but it still surprises me as he's still a Republican.

Also, he's on Kimmel in like 10 minutes.

(Beck had an extended segment on that Megyn Kelly's show on Fox News the other night where he said he predicted the rise of the caliphate and the fascist -- and then pretended like he meant it could've come from either side)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, looool.
Btw manly men with beards that use words like "pussified" make me want to fuckin puke.
Sounds like a pussified limp wrist liberal who is jealous he can't even grow the beard of a 15 year old.

*pounds chest* *pounds red bull*

Oh shit, looool.
Btw manly men with beards that use words like "pussified" make me want to fuckin puke.

My facial hair has a very pubic texture to it; i never let it get too long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwAchZcuPA
In this video chris matthews is asked yet again if his leg is ok 😉

I actually previously [post=100197191]posted[/post] a quite cool GIF (image had gone a.w.o.l - restored) of myself (too short combat trousers, aside ;) ), on my local disc golf course (watch closely between two trees, on right, to see white disc disappear into the distance, and reappear just to the left of my feet), and although you don't see much of me, you see enough to know that I ain't that guy, although he has my shorts ;).

h7VcsgF.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Politico has totally turned the immigration thing against Rubio into an immigration thing against Cruz. Pretty skilled!

Cheebo

Banned
Politico has totally turned the immigration thing against Rubio into an immigration thing against Cruz. Pretty skilled!
Politico writers are likely almost entirely liberal leaning. Hardcore base republicans typically don't get into mainstream Washington based journalism one would think. It's probably hard to wrap their minds around being semi-moderate on immigration being a bad thing

Cerium

Politico writers are likely almost entirely liberal leaning. Hardcore base republicans typically don't get into mainstream Washington based journalism one would think. It's probably hard to wrap their minds around being semi-moderate on immigration being a bad thing
My impression has been that they try to be neutral but in their hearts are establishment Republicans. Emphasis on establishment.

Cheebo

Banned
My impression has been that they try to be neutral but in their hearts are establishment Republicans. Emphasis on establishment.
Beauteous in the primary but they don't lean republican by any means. Obama dominated their coverage in 12 and 08.

Cerium

Beauteous in the primary but they don't lean republican by any means. Obama dominated their coverage in 12 and 08.

I don't remember it being that way in '12 at all.

Politico has been trying to sink Trump since Day 1. They claimed Jeb Bush won the early debates when he was half asleep on stage. Now they're trying to push Rubio. Every other week they release "Top 10 dumbest things the candidates have said, including at least four by Hillary which we rank as worse than Trump*.

HylianTom

Banned
Reactions coming in from the budget deal. Pretty delicious.

Paul Ryan Betrays America: $1.1 Trillion, 2,000-Plus Page Omnibus Bill Funds ‘Fundamental Transformation of America’

Here's the shortened version:

(1) Ryan Omnibus Fully Funds DACA

Presidents 2012 amnesty quietly continues to churn out work permits and federal benefits for hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens. Paul Ryan bill funds entirely this 2012 executive amnesty for “DREAMers”—or illegal immigrants who came to the country as minors

(2) Ryan Omnibus Funds Sanctuary Cities

(3) Ryan Omnibus Funds All Refugee Programs

(4) Ryan Omnibus Funds All of the Mideast Immigration Programs That Have Been Exploited by Terrorists in Recent Years

(5) Ryan Omnibus Funds Illegal Alien Resettlement

On page 917 of Ryan’s omnibus a section titled Refugee and Entrant Assistance funds the Presidents resettlement of illegal immigrant border crossers.

(6) Ryan Omnibus Funds the Release of Criminal Aliens

Senior legislative aides tell Breitbart News that Ryan bill does not do anything to change the enforcement priorities that Jeh Johnson established a little over a year ago that would shield entire categories of criminal aliens from immigration law, nor does it include language recommended by Sessions and Shelby to “deny the expenditure of funds to issue visas to countries that refuse to repatriate criminal aliens.”

(7) Ryan Omnibus Quadruples H-2B Foreign Worker Visa(8) Ryan’s Omnibus Funds Tax Credits for Illegal Aliens

(9) Ryan Omnibus Locks-In Huge Spending Increases

(10) Ryan Omnibus Fails to Allocate Funds to Complete the 700-Mile Double-Layer Border Fence That Congress Promised the American People

There have been a handful of FreeRepublic threads on this, and one running theme is that this pushes voters to Trump since "the establishment" is yet again stabbing conservatives in the back. After all of the tough talk over the year coming from various reps and party officials about defunding this & that, they feel supremely betrayed.

If I were Obama, I'd do a victory lap. Just to goose them a bit. He has to know that they hate to see him happy, "he-can't-keep-getting-away.gif," etc. Show up on TV, claim that this is great for America, smile big, etc. Hell, he should see if he can do a big, dramatic signing ceremony with Congressional leaders present.

What does it say about the current Republican Party that this will help more than any congressional endorsement:

Russian President Vladimir Putin had kind words for his “stablemate” Donald Trump during an annual end-of-the-year Q&A session in Moscow.

"He’s a really brilliant and talented person, without any doubt,” Putin told reporters, according to a translation by Interfax. "It’s not our job to judge his qualities, that’s a job for American voters, but he’s the absolute leader in the presidential race.”
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...mp-hes-a-really-brilliant-and-talented-person

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Reactions coming in from the budget deal. Pretty delicious.

Paul Ryan Betrays America: $1.1 Trillion, 2,000-Plus Page Omnibus Bill Funds ‘Fundamental Transformation of America’

Here's the shortened version:

There have been a handful of FreeRepublic threads on this, and one running theme is that this pushes voters to Trump since "the establishment" is yet again stabbing conservatives in the back. After all of the tough talk over the year coming from various reps and party officials about defunding this & that, they feel supremely betrayed.

If I were Obama, I'd do a victory lap. Just to goose them a bit. He has to know that they hate to see him happy, "he-can't-keep-getting-away.gif," etc. Show up on TV, claim that this is great for America, smile big, etc. Hell, he should see if he can do a big, dramatic signing ceremony with Congressional leaders present.

If Obama does pull a troll move, which he absolutely should, he needs to wait until it is already on his desk.

danm999

The repeated disillusionment of conservatives with the GOP, then the Tea Party, now Ryan and the Freedom Caucus (and I suspect if he were ever elected, Trump) reminds me of something.

I recently just watched Show Me A Hero and how Yonkers mayoral politics in the late 80s/early 90s was basically a revolving door of candidates promising to oppose expansion of public housing into middle class suburban areas, even though the candidates often knew full well they wouldn't be able to do shit to stop it because of the order of a Federal judge.

But each time they'd get in, hit reality, the residents would continue to flip out, and someone else would promise they'd be the one to truly offer change and get in on anti incumbent sentiment. Rinse and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom