• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A few points on Iowa:

Sanders has actually been carpet-bombing TV ads in Iowa and New Hampshire since the beginning of November. He's actually outspent Clinton in ads in the past month (dropping $5.5 million between November 12th and December 15th compared to Clinton's $4 million). The talk by his strategists back in early November was "watch out, this is going to make a difference!", but the polls have only showed Clinton's lead increasing since then.

I disagree re: hasn't made a difference. He's +9 by Selzer. That's a significant difference on polls from Iowa since Biden dropped out using similar methodology.

Truthfully ads aren't going to make that much of a difference at this point anyway. Sanders has only 5% less name recognition than Clinton at this point in Iowa according to Selzer, and other polls like Quinnipiac report a similar story. You can argue that Sanders is at a name recognition disadvantage nationwide that increased press and ad campaigns could overcome, but Iowans are pretty clued in.

It's not about name recognition now, it's about converting people. Hence why one of Sanders' ads is about how effective he's been, a key concern Clinton people have. Ads (obviously) aren't just about recognition, or e.g. people won't even air ads during presidentials.

Overall Clinton's only outspent Sanders by $4.3 million in ads this year. All that money she's been burning through hasn't been invested in ads but in ground game. That doesn''t show up in the polls - it didn't for Obama in 2008 - but it absolutely makes a difference on election day. Clinton's got the very best - I'd argue at least as strong as Obama's 2008 Iowa operation. And it's too late for Sanders to compete at that level. Not only does it take months to fine-tune, but he hasn't got access to the very best staff, who are overwhelmingly in Clinton's campaign, who know how to game the complex caucus rules and find every last voter. She also has the vast bulk of local party activists on her side.

Sanders focus in Iowa these past couple of weeks: Rallies as per. Clinton's focus: Precint Leadership Training. The extensive focus on field will make a difference.

Bluntly, we'll see. It's all very well and good training people, but numbers weigh out and I think Clinton will struggle to maintain those numbers. ~850,000 donators is a significant number; if you put money towards a candidate, you can be pretty sure you'll turn up.

I don't think Selzer can accurately predict the turnout expected on caucus night (unless there's a source?) but she can pick up the percentage of first time caucus goers expected. She predicted that 60% of Democratic caucus goers would be caucusing for the first time in 2008, and despite the Clinton camp and Edwards camp calling that number absurd she was proved right (the number was 57%). So far she's not picked up numbers anywhere close to that figure. If Sanders really was likely to be expecting a flood of new voters to overwhelm Clinton on caucus night Selzer would be picking it up in the voter registration lists by now.

She's actually calling roughly similar numbers - 200,000 voters to 2008's 230,000. But I'm not suggesting Selzer is wrong, I'm suggesting she's right about the state of the race as it currently stands, and that there is reason to suppose that state will change.

This isn't going to be about votes cast, it's going to be about the delegate math. Even Selzer's poll can only poll the former, which likely underestimates Clinton's lead since she'll have the advantage when it comes to the latter. Selzer's noted that Sanders support is more geographically clustered than Clinton's - most noteably in college towns and cities - which means he's going to be harder for him to pick up as many delegates statewide.

This is where the caucus date helps Clinton compared to 2008. Back then the caucuses were in January during the winter break, which meant Iowan college students were back at home all over the state. When they went to caucus the their votes were distributed fairly evenly in all 99 counties and 1682 precints, which gave Obama a big delegate advantage. This time in February they're going to be caucusing in a handful of college towns like Iowa City and Ames. And getting 10000 students to caucus for Sanders in a precinct won't get him any more delegates than 1000.

This is true, I concede. One of the many sins of DWS, alas.

One other way this isn't 2008: it's essentially a two person race and that plays to Clinton's advantage. Clinton turned out around ~70,000 caucus-goers in 2008 - more than Edwards and not far off Obama - but she got pummeled in second round voting and ended up third. When Obama/Edwards/Richardson/Biden failed to meet the 15% threshold in a precinct, very few of their second preferences then went to Clinton. She was much much more divisive in Iowa - her unfavorable ratings among Democrats in Iowa was near 25% (thanks to her Iraq War vote), it's now closer to 10%. There's not much evidence O'Malley's 4% is going to break heavily one way or other. So this year it isn't about reaching out and building alliances, it's about raw turnout, and Clinton has the edge - both demographically and organizationally.

Yes. I don't argue this is like 2008. My arguments are independent of 2008; I don't think Sanders and Obama are similar candidates and I don't think their campaigns operate particularly similarly.

I wish Sanders and Clinton supporters would stop arguing over bullshit and come together considering we're dealing with an election where fascism is now a policy proposal.

dramatis

Bluntly, we'll see. It's all very well and good training people, but numbers weigh out and I think Clinton will struggle to maintain those numbers. ~850,000 donators is a significant number; if you put money towards a candidate, you can be pretty sure you'll turn up.
This is a bit too flippant about the value of ground game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Sanders and Clinton supporters would stop arguing over bullshit and come together considering we're dealing with an election where fascism is now a policy proposal.

Sure, after the nominations. Then I'll fly the Dem flag high. ;)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit too flippant about the value of ground game.

It's like this: ground game helps certain demographics more than others. Old people have a pretty good track record at turning up to primaries regardless. I'm pretty dubious that teaching them how to do that better makes much difference. Obama's ground game (again, not comparing to Sanders, just an explanation) worked because it managed to teach a demographic that doesn't normally engage how to do so - young people (and in other states, African Americans). I think that there are some pretty diminishing gains to Clinton's efforts in Iowa, because she's losing in the 45 and unders and the 45 and overs vote anyway.

I just wish we could see how many people were around in 2008 for the democratic primaries compared to now. I think one of the reasons a lot of Hilary supporters, including myself, are grumpy towards Sanders supporters is because they keep raising 2008 and they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Everything about the two campaigns is different when you compare Obama and Sanders. I don't see how anyone who experienced both could possibly think Sanders is going to repeat what Obama did.

Obama's big struggle was proving he could win - there were so many people who wanted to support him, but didn't think he could. Sanders issue, quite frankly is that his entire campaign speaks to a closed shop of very passionate followers but doesn't expand outside that.

Obviously the Internet has changed beyond all recognition in the last 8 years, but the tone and difference between Obama in 2007 / 2008 and Sanders now is striking. Then only thing they have in common is they are both fighting Hilary. It's not going to end the same way.

I'm obviously not a huge fan of Bernie Sanders. I don't hate him. I just don't want him to be our nominee. I think he's the wrong choice for quite a few reasons. Hell, the way he's managed his campaign has been enough to completely turn me off on supporting him.

My main issue with some Sanders supporters is not their candidate. I'm glad they're engaged. I'm glad they're excited. What gets me is the complete lack of understanding how the primary process works. The complete lack of understanding how demographics within the Democratic party works. Why endorsements are important. Why polls really aren't some vast conspiracy to put out the Bern. Then we add to that the idea that Bernie will get everything he wants while literally never helping a down ballot Democrat in his life, and if not, we're all going to march on the Supreme Court....

That's the stuff that gets me. Support your candidate. Part of that is acknowledging where s/he's weak. Don't blame your candidate's weakness on everyone else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's like this: ground game helps certain demographics more than others. Old people have a pretty good track record at turning up to primaries regardless. I'm pretty dubious that teaching them how to do that better makes much difference. Obama's ground game (again, not comparing to Sanders, just an explanation) worked because it managed to teach a demographic that doesn't normally engage how to do so - young people (and in other states, African Americans). I think that there are some pretty diminishing gains to Clinton's efforts in Iowa, because she's losing in the 45 and unders and the 45 and overs vote anyway.

Caucuses aren't like traditional primaries though, you don't just show up and vote. A ground game is vitally important as caucus goers are allowed to try and convince each other to support their candidate, so a ground game also takes the form of creating and disseminating the best messages of the candidate and teaching voters how exactly the system works. If people show up and aren't entirely sure what's going on they won't be as effective as those who have been thoroughly prepped.

Here's wiki on how it works:

The process used by the Democrats is more complex than the Republican Party caucus process. Each precinct divides its delegate seats among the candidates in proportion to caucus goers' votes. Participants indicate their support for a particular candidate by standing in a designated area of the caucus site (forming a preference group). An area may also be designated for undecided participants. Then, for roughly 30 minutes, participants try to convince their neighbors to support their candidates. Each preference group might informally deputize a few members to recruit supporters from the other groups and, in particular, from among those undecided. Undecided participants might visit each preference group to ask its members about their candidate.

After 30 minutes, the electioneering is temporarily halted and the supporters for each candidate are counted. At this point, the caucus officials determine which candidates are viable. Depending on the number of county delegates to be elected, the viability threshold is 15% of attendees. For a candidate to receive any delegates from a particular precinct, he or she must have the support of at least the percentage of participants required by the viability threshold. Once viability is determined, participants have roughly another 30 minutes to realign: the supporters of inviable candidates may find a viable candidate to support, join together with supporters of another inviable candidate to secure a delegate for one of the two, or choose to abstain. This realignment is a crucial distinction of caucuses in that (unlike a primary) being a voter's second candidate of choice can help a candidate.

When the voting is closed, a final head count is conducted, and each precinct apportions delegates to the county convention. These numbers are reported to the state party, which counts the total number of delegates for each candidate and reports the results to the media. Most of the participants go home, leaving a few to finish the business of the caucus: each preference group elects its delegates, and then the groups reconvene to elect local party officers and discuss the platform. The delegates chosen by the precinct then go to a later caucus, the county convention, to choose delegates to the district convention and state convention. Most of the delegates to the Democratic National Convention are selected at the district convention, with the remaining ones selected at the state convention. Delegates to each level of convention are initially bound to support their chosen candidate but can later switch in a process very similar to what goes on at the precinct level; however, as major shifts in delegate support are rare, the media declares the candidate with the most delegates on the precinct caucus night the winner, and relatively little attention is paid to the later caucuses.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Caucuses aren't like traditional primaries though, you don't just show up and vote. A ground game is vitally important as caucus goers are allowed to try and convince each other to support their candidate, so a ground game also takes the form of creating and disseminating the best messages of the candidate and teaching voters how exactly the system works. If people show up and aren't entirely sure what's going on they won't be as effective as those who have been thoroughly prepped.

Here's wiki on how it works:

Bru, I know how caucuses work. ಠ_ಠ The point is universal - old people have been caucusing forever. More teaching is sort of pointless at that point. Can't teach grandma to suck eggs.

Dean must have thought that in 2004, when he smashed all small donor fundraising records at the time. Then he came in third on caucus night. Caucusing is a whole different ball game.

dramatis

It's the ground game that gets the 45 and overs to the polls. The older people are the ones more likely to vote, but also likely the ones who have difficulty getting to the polls. Having located these people well before the election and then having people on hand for carpooling, calling, and able to direct and maintain operations is far more effective than 'enthusiasm'.

Obama's ground game didn't work because it taught a demographic xyz or whatever. It worked because it got all the voters who would vote for Obama to the polls.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's the ground game that gets the 45 and overs to the polls. The older people are the ones more likely to vote, but also likely the ones who have difficulty getting to the polls. Having located these people well before the election and then having people on hand for carpooling, calling, and able to direct and maintain operations is far more effective than 'enthusiasm'.

Obama's ground game didn't work because it taught a demographic xyz or whatever. It worked because it got all the voters who would vote for Obama to the polls.

45 and overs usually get to the polls anyway. It's definitely the 45 and unders who have more problem - the younger ones often don't have cars, they're less likely to have spare time compared to retirees, the cost of getting to caucus location is harder to meet given under 45s are less wealthy. This is my point - Obama's ground game worked well because it happened on conjunction with a demographic that needs it. Clinton's is going to face diminishing returns.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reuters

Trump - 36
Cruz - 14
Carson - 11
Rubio - 10
Bush 7
Huckabee 5

I'm still absolutely stunned Carson has 11% of the electorate. He hasn't said one thing that made sense this entire cycle.

45 and overs usually get to the polls anyway. It's definitely the 45 and unders who have more problem - the younger ones often don't have cars, they're less likely to have spare time compared to retirees, the cost of getting to caucus location is harder to meet given under 45s are less wealthy. This is my point - Obama's ground game worked well because it happened on conjunction with a demographic that needs it. Clinton's is going to face diminishing returns.

Couple things to keep in mind that aren't strictly related to just this post but to your overall point.

Obama didn't even win 1st time caucus goers in 2008. Edwards did. He got around 30%, Obama got 26% and Hillary got 24%.

Sanders is pulling similar numbers to Obama in the under 45s. (Obama got 57% of those under 29 and 42% of those from 29-44). However, Hillary is running nearly 20 points better among those over 65 than last time (45% in 2008, 64% in the latest DMR Poll).

The latest DMR poll shows Bernie getting a nearly identical share of the female vote that Obama got in 2008. (Obama got 35%) Hillary's running 24 points better among women than she was in 2008.

Obama did well in Iowa in 2008 for a few reasons. First, Edwards was a viable candidate. Obama was able to run up margins in the areas he did well while making sure that he minimized his loses in the areas where he didn't do so well. Bernie has shown no ability to do this. If you feel the Bern, then he's got you and that's fine. In those demographics that aren't free, white and 21, he loses. Badly.

So unless he can manage to build a Democratic coalition that doesn't require a majority (or plurality if we want to pretend O'Malley's important) of women, Latinos, African Americans and those over 65.....he's screwed. No amount of ads is gonna help that.

Tarkus

Ted Cruz is slimey lying cunt. What him try and fail to weasel out of Brett Baier's questions.
Cruz rekt beginning at 1:18
Why Politifact didn't check Cruz's statement from the debate is beyond me. I want a flaming gauge dammit.

Love Brett Baier. He takes no bullshit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

purely looking at Iowa, black American voters and Latino voters are much less important than elsewhere. Iowa is a lilywhite state (92% white, and there's more Asian Americans tha black Americans, and Asian Americans support Sanders much more than Clinton). obviously, they become much more important later on, but their relative absence now (I mean, Sanders is on 22% of the black American vote now, that's a pretty significant rise on 3 months ago) does not affect Iowa significantly. This will be the problem come SC, and it's what will probably kill the Sanders campaign, but it doesn't play in Iowa.

purely looking at Iowa, black American voters and Latino voters are much less important than elsewhere. Iowa is a lilywhite state (92% white, and there's more Asian Americans tha black Americans, and Asian Americans support Sanders much more than Clinton). obviously, they become much more important later on, but their relative absence now (I mean, Sanders is on 22% of the black American vote now, that's a pretty significant rise on 3 months ago) does not affect Iowa significantly. This will be the problem come SC, and it's what will probably kill the Sanders campaign, but it doesn't play in Iowa.

Don't knock that 4% non-white Iowa vote brah.

But I agree. His PoC demographics problem won't be an issue until Nevada, South Carolina and Super Tuesday. I haven't seen a poll with him getting 22% AA vote, although I haven't had time lately to comb polls like normal. The last SC poll showed him losing by 71 points.

This is just my opinion, but I have a feeling Bernie's AA support is not equally distrusted. He probably runs better in areas where economic status and a more extreme liberal ideology intersect with racial identity.

I like how the media obsesses over Bernie's looks while having little to say about Trump's ridiculous hair.

bernie is new to the pop culture scene, trump's do has been the subject of mockery for 20 years now.
6gQ6Kvm.png

Finally a 538 article I can get on board with!

Marco Rubio’s Lousy Ground Game In Iowa Will Probably Cost Him Votes

There’s reportedly a joke going around among Iowa Republicans that Marco Rubio must be running for mayor of Ankeny, the Des Moines suburb where his sole Iowa office is located. Defying Iowa’s tradition of retail politics, Rubio also rarely holds campaign events outside of that area and is choosing to invest in television ads over staffers and offices in the state. Rubio is making a deliberate gamble that Iowans will brave the cold on his behalf this Feb. 1 simply because they saw his advertisements or debate performances on television, not because they have seen him in person or heard from his campaign.

The Rubio campaign particularly disdains field offices, the storefronts of retail politics: brick-and-mortar locations where volunteers assemble, local mailings are coordinated and paid staffers work late nights. Deputy campaign manager Rich Beeson has argued that staff can “set up in a Starbucks with wireless and get just as much done.” The tasks that staff and volunteers traditionally perform in these offices — dividing turf for volunteer canvassing, calling prospective voters and distributing information about the candidate — can now be accomplished using online tools without the cost and hassle of setting up a local presence.

Is Rubio right to bet against field offices? Are physical offices relics of a bygone age of retail politics, and is Rubio simply smart to realize it?

According to political science research, Rubio avoids the establishment of a ground game at his peril. Field offices work because they provide a location for the coordination and training that make voter contact valuable. Campaigns that can contact supporters personally to encourage them to vote should make every effort to do so. Knocking on doors can increase turnout by nearly 10 percent, and effective phone calls can encourage an additional 4 percent of voters to head to the polls. Without a field office in an area, candidates will find it much more difficult to translate these tactics into victory.

To be fair, neither canvassing nor phone calls technically require a field office. If a campaign’s main goal is merely to contact as many voters as possible, staff members will often spare themselves the time, effort and cost of training local volunteers by hiring professional callers and recruiting canvassers from out of state. But when campaigns take this shortcut, they often pay the price.

For example, professional callers are paid per call and often tend to read through prompts quickly, with no incentive to start a conversation. These impersonal phone conversations have no demonstrated effect on turnout. If a campaign farms out its calling operation without training the call center workers — admittedly a costly and time-consuming exercise — they are throwing their money away. When well-trained local volunteers make phone calls, they are more likely to connect with voters through a casual discussion. It is more cost-effective to train volunteers, and it is much simpler to conduct phone bank trainings in a field office than in a Starbucks.

Over the past few presidential elections, field offices have clearly generated higher local turnout. Obama opened 786 field offices in 449 counties in 2012, and each office delivered him approximately an additional 0.3 percent of vote share — or roughly the equivalent of airing 1,000 additional campaign ads. In 2008’s battleground states, Obama earned about 200,000 votes — about 7 percent of his margin of victory in those states — from his network of field offices. These offices accounted for 50 percent of Obama’s margin of victory in Indiana, and they likely made the difference in his win in North Carolina.

These effects seem small, but they make a difference where it matters most. Rick Santorum won the 2012 Iowa caucuses by 0.03 percentage points, or 34 votes out of 121,501. Field offices can be expensive — the estimated cost per vote earned by having a field office is $49.40 — but the earned media and momentum benefits from a victory in Iowa are huge.

Assuming a per-ad cost equal to the average rate paid by the Obama campaign in October 2012, it cost $672,446 to earn the same increase in vote share using ads as by opening a new field office — which costs only about $21,000 to operate throughout an election season. In spite of this evidence, Rubio and his super PAC allies have made a $10.6 million bet on TV ads, while Ted Cruz and Donald Trump have spent less than a million combined on the airwaves.

Campaigns that choose to leave effective field tactics on the table are making a mistake. Field offices provide the training and coordination that make the most effective voter mobilization techniques work, and they cannot easily be replaced by the Wi-Fi in a coffee shop. If Rubio’s campaign comes to regret these choices, at least they’ll always have Ankeny.

I wonder if Rubio will start making changes now that talk of his poor ground game (and that Starbucks quote!) is going overground.

This is just my opinion, but I have a feeling Bernie's AA support is not equally distrusted. He probably runs better in areas where economic status and a more extreme liberal ideology intersect with racial identity.

The Clinton's have always had a strong backing from the Black vote. Remember Clinton being elected as the first "black president"? Bernie actually has a stronger history of supporting Civil Rights and the Black community, but he doesn't have the exposure or prestige that Hillary has within it and it seems like minority populations are a lot more skeptical of switching support from someone they know and trust. I imagine they like a lot of Bernie's policy (Drug Offense Reform, Decreasing Income Inequality, College Affordability) but have a hard time accepting him because the Clinton's have always been in their corner (despite Mandatory Minimums in 1994 did a lot of damage to the Black community).

bernie is new to the pop culture scene, trump's do has been the subject of mockery for 20 years now.
6gQ6Kvm.png
Funny how Les Mis basically presents the perfect counter narrative against hardline GOP tough on crime bullshit but I'm sure that flew over his head. Same with the classism and philosophical differences on religion (Javert uses religion to justify punishing people, Valjean uses it to help others). Yeah. Flew right over.

A quick hypothetical for Poli-GAF, from a Canadian:

Lets say Donald Trump gets elected as President. How do you think he deals with Canada, and specifically an idealist, and a pretty big liberal in Justin Trudeau?

Especially when it comes to his supposed policies, both leaders are like fire and ice when compared.

A quick hypothetical for Poli-GAF, from a Canadian:

Lets say Donald Trump gets elected as President. How do you think he deals with Canada, and specifically an idealist, and a pretty big liberal in Justin Trudeau?

Especially when it comes to his supposed policies, both leaders are like fire and ice when compared.

A big wall. And you're gonna pay for it, personally.

He'll find a way to insult your country and leader. Probably on Twitter.

I'm not sure how he'll be with other leaders, to be honest. I don't think he cares about our national relationships with other nations, just his personal perception.

I'd love to see one or both parties start mixing up the order of primaries next cycle. I'm so tired of hearing about New Hampshire and Iowa. Why not have Oregon and Oklahoma go first one cycle, Arizona and Florida another cycle, and so on? Rotate it so that in some years Iowa and New Hampshire are last. Those two random states get such a disproportionate say on our political outcomes for no real reason that I can see.

Teggy

Funny how Les Mis basically presents the perfect counter narrative against hardline GOP tough on crime bullshit but I'm sure that flew over his head. Same with the classism and philosophical differences on religion (Javert uses religion to justify punishing people, Valjean uses it to help others). Yeah. Flew right over.

I thought he was trying to compare himself to Jean Valjean, because you know getting on a slap on the wrist for campaign finance fraud that no one even remembers now is the same as hard labor for stealing a loaf of bread and being haunted by the crime for the rest of your life.

538 sounds like the slowpoke meme. Everyone pretty much knows Rubio is not serious about Iowa. They're again gonna be johnny come latelys when Trump steamrolls SEC.

Rubio simply does not see Iowa happening, like at all. So he's not spending any resources there. It's a crazy cob country filled with evangelical corn farmers. He cant do anything there. Yeah it will probably affect his momentum. But he's hoping for the Rudy Strategy. I think we discussed this.

I'd love to see one or both parties start mixing up the order of primaries next cycle. I'm so tired of hearing about New Hampshire and Iowa. Why not have Oregon and Oklahoma go first one cycle, Arizona and Florida another cycle, and so on? Rotate it so that in some years Iowa and New Hampshire are last. Those two random states get such a disproportionate say on our political outcomes for no real reason that I can see.

because it's advantageous to the state to go first, in terms of media attention, dollars spent, etc etc. Iowa and New hampshire realized this early on and literally wrote it into law.

EK: And how has Iowa retained it? You would think that some other state, desirous of the same power Iowa has, would just leapfrog it.

DR: Iowa’s two parties realized very early on that this was advantageous, so they agreed to hold their caucuses on the same day. And then they wrote into Iowa law that the caucuses must be the first event. New Hampshire’s laws say they have to be the first primary, which is what lets Iowa stay in front. But both say they’ll go as early as they have to go.

EK: So if any other state tries to move its primary forward, Iowa and New Hampshire simply move their events forward even more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/why-iowa-gets-to-go-first-and-other-facts-about-tonights-caucus/2011/08/25/gIQAJtygYP_blog.html

ivysaur12

Banned
Finally a 538 article I can get on board with!

Marco Rubio’s Lousy Ground Game In Iowa Will Probably Cost Him Votes

I wonder if Rubio will start making changes now that talk of his poor ground game (and that Starbucks quote!) is going overground.

I just got some serious Giuliani flashbacks with this article as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/u...aries.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa — A nagging problem hovers over Senator Marco Rubio of Florida as he crisscrosses the country seeking support in the states with the first four nominating contests: With a month and a half until the voting begins, he still has not committed himself fully to trying to win any of them.

That hedged, wait-and-see approach served Mr. Rubio well as he floated to the top tier of national polls, won the backing of influential Republican financiers and began drawing hundreds to his rallies. His aides, flouting age-old political wisdom, started suggesting that he might not even need to win Iowa or New Hampshire — that a second- or third-place finish could be enough.

But as the primary fight becomes fiercer, and Mr. Rubio’s closest competitors start zeroing in on a single, must-win contest — like Iowa for Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and New Hampshire for Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey — Mr. Rubio’s all-things-to-all-people strategy is stretching his campaign thin, posing challenges in focusing his message and raising doubts among his supporters about his seriousness.

Some Rubio backers in the first four states to vote — Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada — are voicing concern about whether Mr. Rubio is leaving voters there with the impression that he does not need them to win. And some of Mr. Rubio’s own aides are now arguing privately that they should do more to push back against the belief that he is running an indifferent campaign before it becomes too widespread.

“The campaign efforts for Marco Rubio in Iowa can very easily be perceived as wanting to place in the top three in the caucus and not necessarily to win,” said Kenney Linhart, a pastor in Des Moines who is supporting the Rubio campaign. Regardless of how serious Mr. Rubio is about trying to win the state, Mr. Linhart added, the belief that he is not is harmful: “Perception is as powerful as intent or will.”

HylianTom

Banned
Maddow just said that Trump has led for longer than any other GOP primary candidate in history, with one exception (Bush in 2000). Holy moly. I knew that he's been leading for a while, but damn, that's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom