• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

I remember in Double Down, Romney's team vetted Christie for VP in 2012 and the conclusion based on all that they found was;
Romney hated Christie personally, the primary reason they didn't go with him. I don't think they dug up any crazy skeletons on anybody.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Romney hated Christie personally, the primary reason they didn't go with him. I don't think they dug up any crazy skeletons on anybody.

He's also a huge asshole and more than likely massively corrupt. He's a New Jersey politician who became the governor, I guarantee you that he's got skeletons in his closet. Romney hating his guts was likely secondary to these facts.

danm999

I'm not sure if they were crazy skeletons, but the vetting process, Project Pufferfish if I remember, suggested Christie had huge problems as a candidate if they ever picked him or would be relatively easy to defeat if they had to run against him.

At least, that's what Double Down said.

Edit; actually there's an excerpt I found pretty easy with Google;

The list of questions Myers and her team had for Christie was extensive and troubling. More than once, Myers reported back that Trenton’s response was, in effect, Why do we need to give you that piece of information? Myers told her team, We have to assume if they’re not answering, it’s because the answer is bad.

The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.” (Todd also oversaw a family foundation whose activities and purpose raised eyebrows among the vetters.) And all that was on top of a litany of glaring matters that sparked concern on Myers’ team: Christie’s other lobbying clients, his investments overseas, the YouTube clips that helped make him a star but might call into doubt his presidential temperament, and the status of his health.

Ted Newton, managing Project Goldfish under Myers, had come into the vet liking Christie for his brashness and straight talk. Now, surveying the sum and substance of what the team was finding, Newton told his colleagues, If Christie had been in the nomination fight against us, we would have destroyed him—he wouldn’t be able to run for governor again. When you look below the surface, Newton said, it’s not pretty.

Goddammit. I dont know about you guys but I fear Christie more than anyone else from that group. It sucks to see him rising.

He has no chance. His own state hates his guts, he's corrupt, he wants to raise medicare retirement age and cut social security (try that line in the general), and worst of all HE HUGGED OBAMA.

I dunno. His sermonizing straight to the camera is dumb enough to work with Americans. Take nothing for granted

Rusty my friend, that bullshit he pulled with the bridge would be paraded around if it ever came to the general, and it's almost certain that there's plenty more where that came from.

Plus the man is morbidly obese. Appearance matters.

But really, a guy that isn't assured to carry his own freaking state getting the nom? Only democrats are stupid enough to do something like that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I am blown away by how stupid the whole bathroom break attacks are. I mean, the woman had to use the bathroom. That happens to everyone. Why do they think this will actually resonate with anybody but people who won't vote for Hillary anyway?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am blown away by how stupid the whole bathroom break attacks are. I mean, the woman had to use the bathroom. That happens to everyone. Why do they think this will actually resonate with anybody but people who won't vote for Hillary anyway?

They're gonna pull anything and everything out of their ass to attack her because they know exactly what happens the instant the general starts and she's still strong: they lose. So they'll throw the kitchen sink at her hoping it'll take her out before that.

danm999

I do not believe it but you can see why it is so tempting to call Trump a Clinton plant.

Because Trump supporters are children.

As for Christie, we'll wait and see. Guy still has admirers left.

It is to strenghten the narrative that she's arrogant and only cares about herself.

They only grasping at that particular bit because she's giving them oh so very little to work with.

Until they figure out a way to bash her over her godawful meme usage, anyway.

HylianTom

Banned
The Dems seem to be all-in on sowing discord within the GOP. Pelosi gives them a great quote here:

Pelosi Explains Support for Ryan’s Spending Deal: ‘They Were Willing to Concede So Much’

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi explained her support for the $1.2 trillion spending bill that the Republican Congress passed yesterday and President Obama signed into law by pointing out to reporters that the Republicans “were willing to concede so much” to get the bill passed.

The bill, Pelosi noted, did not stop funding of Planned Parenthood, and the Republicans “had to take out their provisions to destroy ACA”—the Affordable Care Act, AKA Obamacare.

Pelosi argued that the Republican leaders were so intent on getting a provision to allow exports of U.S. crude oil that they were “willing to give up so much.”

“The fact that the Republicans wanted big oil so desperately really argues for voting for the bill because they were willing to concede so much,” said Pelosi.

Go on, voters.. take the bait. You've been betrayed yet again by the party leadership. Teach them a lesson. 😏

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Dems seem to be all-in on sowing discord within the GOP. Pelosi gives them a great quote here:

Go on, voters.. take the bait. You've been betrayed yet again by the party leadership. Teach them a lesson. 😏

I love the trolling going on lately, seems like everyone caught onto Obama's plan and is running with it.

The only reason Fiorina is considered an outsider is because she lost her chance for a Senate seat in a landslide. Otherwise she's just a generic ass fuck you got mine Repub.

I think Fiorina's (negligible) support comes more from affluent business conservatives than angry base voters.

Still, ignoring Fiorina and Huckabee, it's these trendlines that should scare the establishment the most. Remember when voters were going to get "serious" after Labor Day/Thanksgiving?

Trump + Cruz + Carson:
Dec: 67%
Nov: 66%
Oct: 53%
Sept: 44%
Aug: 38%
Jul: 29%
Jun: 23%

Jeb + Rubio + Christie + Kasich:
Dec: 20%
Nov: 21%
Oct: 23%
Sept: 25%
Aug: 29%
Jun: 30%

ivysaur12

Banned
I remember in Double Down, Romney's team vetted Christie for VP in 2012 and the conclusion based on all that they found was;

rYIk4gz.gif
Yeah, that's sort of been my ? about Christie from the beginning.

Also Christie has NO ground game outside NH. This is just like Santorum, but with NH instead of IA if Christie wins NH.

Drakeon

Yeah, that's sort of been my ? about Christie from the beginning.

Also Christie has NO ground game outside NH. This is just like Santorum, but with NH instead of IA if Christie wins NH.
I'm still not convinced bridge gate is over either. They're still investigating it at the US attorney's office last I heard.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm still not convinced bridge gate is over either. They're still investigating it at the US attorney's office last I heard.
Findings could come out too late. They need to come out like the week before NH. That'd be lol.

Go on, voters.. take the bait. You've been betrayed yet again by the party leadership. Teach them a lesson. ��

Yes voters. Please gloat over republicans and ignore that we also pushed CISA through.

how can you trust a woman like her with the nuclear codes when she probably still thinks arrow to the knee is funny. bernie sanders is #myabuelito

Ironically, the one area where bernie excels at. "one would assume" was absolutely excellent, and he somehow managed to apparently catch no flack over the RTJ pic.

I just can't take a Governor so hated in his own state that other NJ republicans have to deliberately distance themselves from him as a serious threat.

The latest Hillary thread is a hoot to read. I especially like the "if her social media campaigns flop how can anyone expect her to run a country?" comment.

QzGOxoB.jpg

Bgodi0c.jpg

OMG; I didn't know they actually sponsored Hillary's frigin bus!

This is like supplying Bernie's campaign with a NUCLEAR power source :).

I should add that, not only is CEO of NGP VAN, Stu Tevelyan, close friends with the Clintons, the company was founded by Nathaniel Pearlman, who was the chief technical officer on her 2008 campaign and setup the now infamous email server, when she was Secretary of State...

The latest Hillary thread is a hoot to read. I especially like the "if her social media campaigns flop how can anyone expect her to run a country?" comment.
You laugh but we could have 9 years of this. At least Obama Derangement Syndrome is mostly confined to the right.

User 406

Banned
In that thread Jack Remington linked this superb essay.

After the Benghazi hearing, I switched my primary vote from Bernie to Hillary for exactly this reason, and the author of the piece expresses it far better than I ever could.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think Fiorina's (negligible) support comes more from affluent business conservatives than angry base voters.

Still, ignoring Fiorina and Huckabee, it's these trendlines that should scare the establishment the most. Remember when voters were going to get "serious" after Labor Day/Thanksgiving?

Trump + Cruz + Carson:
Dec: 67%
Nov: 66%
Oct: 53%
Sept: 44%
Aug: 38%
Jun: 23%

Jeb + Rubio + Christie + Kasich:
Dec: 20%
Nov: 21%
Oct: 23%
Sept: 25%
Aug: 29%
Jun: 30%

This has been coming for a few years now. The voter base on the right is furious with establishment politicians and that has grown each week.

Hrm, from that quinnipiac poll

4. (If Democrat or Democratic Leaner) Are there any of these candidates you would definitely not support for the Democratic nomination for president: Clinton, O'Malley, or Sanders? (Totals may add up to more than 100% because multiple responses were allowed)

DEMOCRATS/DEMOCRATIC LEANERS.........................
POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY
LIBERAL..... Mod/ COLLEGE DEG
Tot Very Smwht Cons Men Wom Yes No

Clinton 8% 10% 8% 7% 9% 7% 4% 10%
O'Malley 19 22 21 17 17 20 20 18
Sanders 9 6 9 10 10 8 7 10
No/No one 58 59 58 57 63 55 62 56
DK/NA 11 9 10 13 8 13 10 12

So yeah, only O'Malley is the danger. Both Sandernistas and Clintonians would do as told if push came to shove.
---
Hah!
15. Is your opinion of Ted Cruz favorable, unfavorable or haven't you heard enough about him?

COLLEGE DEG
Tot Rep Dem Ind Men Wom Yes No

Favorable 35% 68% 7% 34% 42% 28% 33% 36%
Unfavorable 33 7 60 28 33 33 50 25
Hvn't hrd enough 31 24 33 36 23 38 17 37
REFUSED 2 1 1 1 2 1 1 2

16. Is your opinion of Bernie Sanders favorable, unfavorable or haven't you heard enough about him?

COLLEGE DEG

Favorable 40% 10% 69% 39% 37% 42% 53% 34%
Unfavorable 31 60 8 29 41 23 31 31
Hvn't hrd enough 28 29 21 31 21 34 15 34
REFUSED 1 1 2 1 2 1 1 2

Cruz is Bizarro Sanders!

16. Is your opinion of Bernie Sanders favorable, unfavorable or haven't you heard enough about him?

COLLEGE DEG

Favorable 40% 10% 69% 39% 37% 42% 53% 34%
Unfavorable 31 60 8 29 41 23 31 31
Hvn't hrd enough 28 29 21 31 21 34 15 34
REFUSED 1 1 2 1 2 1 1 2

Cruz is Bizarro Sanders!

Those "haven't heard enough" numbers for Bernie are also very encouraging :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom