• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel B·;190554666 said:
Man, someone's so out of touch ;).

I'm a gay, middle class white boy. I'm not down with the hippity hop language.

Hillary helps me translate and navigate that world.

ow0iFK.gif

I would like to be in a team.

I'll write my predictions after reading some Dick Morris analysis.
just make sure your every prediction is some variation on trump, rubio or cruz. otherwise you might not be taken seriously
Daniel B·;190554666 said:
Man, someone's so out of touch ;).
dan's posts are the ones that make me laugh the most consistently

I'm starting to seriously wonder if Rubio will win a single state.

If the Rubio surge doesn't happen in the next two weeks, it's probably not happening.

ivysaur12

Banned
IOWA

Cruz
Trump
Carson

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Trump
Rubio
Christie (FUCK YEAH)

SOUTH CAROLINA

Trump
Cruz
Rubio

NEVADA (I wish there was more polling here)

Trump (this is the state where Trump was originally in 1st!!)
Cruz
Rubio

Fuck New Hampshire and Iowa. These states should not have such an outsized influence on the entire process of selecting the U.S. president.

I'd like to see Reince and DWS take a hard line with both states. Agree to a cyclical primary order, or your delegates don't count. Your move.

Funny read from Politico on New Hampshire. If Rubio doesn't manage to overcome Christie and the other establishment guys by a healthy margin, he's toast. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/new-hampshire-2016-primary-217145]

ivysaur12

Banned
What should be first? New York? iirc that would be the most demographically representative state, and has a nice balance of rural and urban that's a god microcosm of the Democratic and Republican party bases.

Fuck New Hampshire and Iowa. These states should not have such an outsized influence on the entire process of selecting the U.S. president.

I'd like to see Reince and DWS take a hard line with both states. Agree to a cyclical primary order, or your delegates don't count. Your move.

Funny read from Politico on New Hampshire. If Rubio doesn't manage to overcome Christie and the other establishment guys by a healthy margin, he's toast. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/new-hampshire-2016-primary-217145]

I almost would like to see a national primary. A big thing, for me, is seeing how a candidate can build a ground game. This small state one at a time thing means that people who aren't legitimate contenders can look more legitimate. Maybe not every state on the same day, but a rotating Super Tuesday type thing.

And I don't say this as a bitter 08 Clintonista. Maybe a little.

Cerium

Sanders says he’s courting Trump supporters

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said Sunday he believes he can win over supporters of Republican front-runner Donald Trump, explaining that Trump has been successful at channeling working-class anger.

In a pre-taped interview for CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Sanders said many of Trump’s supporters are “working-class people” who have “legitimate” angers and fears because of decreasing wages and the rising cost of college tuition, among other reasons.

What should be first? New York? iirc that would be the most demographically representative state, and has a nice balance of rural and urban that's a god microcosm of the Democratic and Republican party bases.

Order should change every four years. Separate states into blocks, rotate blocks through the order.

Cerium

Do you Trump will pick up some independent votes when Bernie drops?

I do think that due to Bernie's deliberate populist cross pollination, some of his supporters will be looking for a new cult of personality. We've seen them say as much many times on GAF, sometimes in this very thread.

Cerium

lol even Kasich is sucking up to Trump now

Republican presidential candidate John Kasich said Sunday that poll leader Donald Trump has “toned down the rhetoric” — a remark that might come as a surprise to supporters of Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

“I’ve been listening to him lately, and you notice he’s toned down the rhetoric,” Kasich said on ABC’s “This Week.”

His comments come amid a controversy over Trump’s use of the word "schlonged" to describe Clinton’s 2008 loss in the Democratic primary to Barack Obama.

Kasich was asked Sunday whether he would support Trump if Trump wins the GOP nomination. The Ohio governor declined to answer the question, instead saying that Trump is “toning it down.”

“I’m just hoping as we go forward that he’s going to be a unifier,” Kasich said.
What happened to "And Then They Came For Me", John?

ivysaur12

Banned
FWIW, it would've taken a 5.3% national swing for Obama to get 50% of the popular vote in Georgia (56.4%), while only a 4.9% national swing for Obama (56%) would've given him 50% of the popular vote in Arizona, even though he lost Arizona by more than he lost Georgia, using 538's elasticity metrics.

Cerium

I didn't realize Cruz was polling 16% and in second place in New Hampshire.

It might really be a Cruz-Trump race in the end.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
While I agree neither is close to being representative of the country, I would argue NH at least represents the Republican base in important ways: it's the fourth oldest state, the third whitest state and has the sixth highest median and per capita income. Romney beat Obama with voters over the age of 65 by 12 points, 20 points with Whites and received nearly 2/3 of his votes from family incomes over $50k (it was roughly half for Obama).

However, NH is ranked 9th for college degrees (Iowa 34th). Romney only got 56% of whites with a college degree whereas he had 62% of non-college degree whites. More importantly NH is the second least religious state, which Romney handily beat Obama for voters who attended a religious service at least once a week and by 13 points for Protestants, who made up half of all voters. Iowa is ranked 21st for most religious.

So yeah, besides religion NH has important demographics Republicans rely on. It's a fairly good state to see which candidate is most favored by the base, but not at all for the general election, even with NH being ranked 15th for percentage of moderates. Moderates made up 40% of voters in 2012 and Obama beat Romney by 15 points.

Tarkus

Team A
NeoXChaos
Cerium
HylianTom
Roland_Gunner
Third Strike
SourShoes
Adam387
Plinko
kingkitty

Team B
Makai
Holmes
JesseEwiak
RustyNails
B-dubs
Aaron Strife
Ivysaur12
Retromelon
Cheebo
Team A is definitely the most attractive and handsome of the two.

Lol.
Bish posts, poliGAF goes silent.

I like Bernie, but he's wrong. Trump is winning supporters on the back of xenophobia and racism. You shouldn't want those voters

It wouldn't work anyways. These are people who are not interested in hearing about the nuances of your economic ideology and how it benefits them. They just want to hear how it's all the the fault of mexicans, or gays, or blacks, or muslims.

Team A is definitely the most attractive and handsome of the two.

Lol.
Bish posts, poliGAF goes silent.

well im a 4 on my best day so im not about to debate you

trading is forbidden!
makai, i refuse to concede solely for the few remaining days left to me b4 you take my avatar

Makai

Speaking of which, Retro...

You won't concede the Carson bomb bet but you don't even have him on the primary board until Nevada. :U

Trump probably does have a decent pool of voters that are into him more for his personality cult than his rhetoric. Not insane for Bernie to think maybe he should try and score some of those dummies.

HylianTom

Banned
Tom can you give me those dates for all March states starting with Super Tuesday in the format you used earlier? thx

I don't remember the exact format used previously, but here's something:

"Super Tuesday," March 1, 2016
Minnesota - caucuses - open
North Dakota - caucuses - closed
Oklahoma - primary - closed
Tennessee - primary - open
Texas - primary - open
Vermont - primary - open
Virginia - primary - open
Wyoming - caucuses - closed

Saturday, March 5, 2016
Kansas - caucuses - closed
Kentucky - caucuses - closed
Louisiana - primary - closed
Maine - caucuses - closed

Sunday, March 6, 2016
Puerto Rico - primary - open

Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Hawaii - caucuses - closed
Idaho - primary - closed
Michigan - primary - open
Mississippi - primary - open

Saturday, March 12, 2016
Guam - convention - closed
D.C. - convention - closed

Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Florida - primary - closed
Illinois - primary - open
Missouri - primary - open
North Carolina - primary - mixed system
Northern Mariana Islands - caucuses - closed
Ohio - primary - mixed

Saturday, March 19, 2016
Virgin Islands - caucuses - open

Tuesday, March 22, 2016
American Samoa - convention - open
Arizona - primary - open
Utah - caucuses - closed

Makai

Here's the schedule. It's changed regularly so expect some addendums in the future. I think the GOP want to sneak more debates in.

January 14 - Makai
South Carolina
Fox Business

January 28 - B-Dubs
Iowa
Fox News

February 6
New Hampshire
ABC

February 13 - Makai
South Carolina
CBS