• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Like i've been saying all along. If the Mexican rapists and McCain not a war hero comments couldn't bring him down, nothing will. Trump's only weakness is his low ceiling and that won't hurt him until people start dropping out and votes start consolidating.

Watch as the narrative finally turns to that after people start realizing he's not the next Perry, Gingrich, or Cain.

It was probably wrong to ever use 2012 as a blueprint to begin with as those were all anti-Romney rises, while this rise was all on people liking Trump.

Bowdz

Is this a moderately trustworthy survey?

If so, holy shit at Trump's lead and his favorables increasing 5% to 62%.

On top of that, the news from multiple sources that Trump will be rolling out specific policy positions this week is good news for the campaign. I doubt that his supports care about specifics, but he can use them to blunt any criticism from the establishment coming from that angle.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I want to know why Rand's advisers told him to come out swinging. Is it b/c he's a loser with terrible hair who was told he had to make a splash or he'd sink to nothing? He was the only one actively going after Trump in the debate and Trump destroyed him.

Konka

Banned
Like i've been saying all along. If the Mexican rapists and McCain not a war hero comments couldn't bring him down, nothing will. Trump's only weakness is his low ceiling and that won't hurt him until people start dropping out and votes start consolidating.

Watch as the narrative finally turns to that after people start realizing he's not the next Perry, Gingrich, or Cain.

It was probably wrong to ever use 2012 as a blueprint to begin with as those were all anti-Romney rises, while this rise was all on people liking Trump.

Can we even imagine the level of panic among the GOP if Trump wins Iowa? Like pure chaos. That would legitimate him.

I want to know why Rand's advisers told him to come out swinging. Is it b/c he's a loser with terrible hair who was told he had to make a splash or he'd sink to nothing? He was the only one actively going after Trump in the debate and Trump destroyed him.
I think its a combination of Trump and Christie landing blows and his messaging in general. "Different kind of republican"? Fuck outta here.

The RNC will convince one of the loser candidates to go in hard on Trump. That way Trump's supporters can go to a non-loser candidate. That candidate will sacrifice himself for the party, in return for some future favor.

Christie is perfect for this IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in on Trump next debate like Paul did last time. Christie is way quicker on his feet than Paul and wouldn't get embarrassed.

If this happens it will backfire and it will be glorious.

He was the only one actively going after Trump in the debate and Trump destroyed him.

The other way to look at it is that the other candidates saw the beast dealing with three hosts and a contender with ease, and thought it best not to so readily attract the demon's glare.

Christie is perfect for this IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in on Trump next debate like Paul did last time. Christie is way quicker on his feet than Paul and wouldn't get embarrassed.
Christie is seen as corrupt and willing to sell out, even to the great satan, to get what he needs. Trump has already established himself as the sort of person that buys people like Christie.

Wouldn't bet on it, is what i'm saying.

The RNC will convince one of the loser candidates to go in hard on Trump. That way Trump's supporters can go to a non-loser candidate. That candidate will sacrifice himself for the party, in return for some future favor.

I dont see Christie accepting to be the sacrificial lamb. His ego wont allow it.

Are you thinking of Chris "the hugs I remember" Christie? I wouldn't consider him to be the sharpest wit.

HylianTom

Banned
Being concerned about electability against Hillary and still picking Trump just shows how delusional the base of the GOP is at this point.
I'm wondering if, deep down inside, these folks know that mathematically, the electoral odds are pretty damn steep against them. So why not just say "fuck it" and teach the party establishment a lesson?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Christie can't be the sacrificial lamb. Trump would nail him on bridgegate. Too easy. Would have to be a Huckabee.

Given that PPP poll, I made this for future usage.

M2t2NDF.jpg

Konka

Banned
You mean the same state that Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum won? I wouldn't be too worried

They won on the backs of Evangelicals and were never leading polls in states around the country and they weren't entirely self financed. The comparison isn't there.

If Trump won Iowa he would almost certainly go on to win New Hampshire. He's actually a better fit there (which before 2008 has always proved more contrarian in both Democratic and Republican primaries). He's totally the modern day Pat Buchanan.

And no modern Republican candidate has won both Iowa and NH. Imagine if he did that. Stronger than Reagan!

StoveOven

Banned
They won on the backs of Evangelicals and were never leading polls in states around the country and they weren't entirely self financed. The comparison isn't there.

The majority of the Republican party will never support Trump. Once the rest of the field narrows, he will fall to 3rd or 4th place. I wouldn't start worrying too much until New Hampshire rolls around

If Trump won Iowa he would almost certainly go on to win New Hampshire. He's actually a better fit there (which before 2008 has always proved more contrarian in both Democratic and Republican primaries). He's totally the modern day Pat Buchanan.

And no modern Republican candidate has won both Iowa and NH. Imagine if he did that. Stronger than Reagan!

His support is strongest in southern states like South Carolina. If he won those more moderate states, it's over.

Averon

I guess the next few months will test how much sway Fox has with its conservative audience. They clearly want Trump gone, but will their faithful viewers listen to them?

Konka

Banned
The majority of the Republican party will never support Trump. Once the rest of the field narrows, he will fall to 3rd or 4th place. I wouldn't start worrying too much until New Hampshire rolls around

I'm not worried, I'd be elated if Trump won the nomination. But what you're saying doesn't jive with the polling information coming out of PPP on Iowa showing him leading among all subsection of the Republican party.

I also think its extremely unlikely that Trump gets the nomination but he will be helped by the very frontloaded scheduled. If the field stays split until early March almost half of the states will have already voted. Even if someone else wins the later states Trump could wind up with the most delegates. Then you'd have a brokered convention which would look terrible to the public.

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/p/2016-presidential-primary-calendar.html

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Christie can't be the sacrificial lamb. Trump would nail him on bridgegate. Too easy. Would have to be a Huckabee.

Trump would ether Huckabee on that pardon of a rapist that led to 2 more women being attacked and killed. There's no one in the field right now who is clean enough to go after Trump without Trump dealing a deathblow before they could finish the job.

NeoXChaos

but if field does not narrow then Yellowfall's scenario would certainly play out that way. Expect a lot of pressure in the coming months if Trump does not flameout and is still in the lead in IA and NH for lesser tier candidates to drop out.

I guess the next few months will test how much sway Fox has with its conservative audience. They clearly want Trump gone, but will their faithful viewers listen to them?

And therein lies Fox's problem - they lean in too hard against Trump, many of those same viewers are going to turn on them. You already see conservatives complain about Fox being the mainstream.

Konka

Banned
Trump would ether Huckabee on that pardon of a rapist that led to 2 more women being attacked and killed. There's no one in the field right now who is clean enough to go after Trump without Trump dealing a deathblow before they could finish the job.

That's the best thing about Trump. He couldn't give two shits about the status of the Republican party or the reputations of these people. The image of the party by the end of this primary hasn't even entered the Donald's thought process, he's above it. For better or for worse he is the least influenceable candidate in the entire election lol.

StoveOven

Banned
but if field does not narrow then Yellowfall's scenario would certainly play out that way. Expect a lot of pressure in the coming months if Trump does not flameout and is still in the lead in IA and NH for lesser tier candidates to drop out.

I'll agree with this. I just think it's very unlikely that all of them are too ego driven to never drop out. I like to think that most of them don't want to destroy the party. But I might be giving them too much credit

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's the best thing about Trump. He couldn't give two shits about the status of the Republican party or the reputations of these people. The image of the party by the end of this primary hasn't even entered the Donald's thought process, he's above it. For better or for worse he is the least influenceable candidate in the entire election lol.

The only way I could see them forcibly taking down Trump is if 3 or 4 different candidates were willing the gang up on him all at once at the next debate, and even that might not work.

Konka

Banned

The background music is golden.

The only way I could see them forcibly taking down Trump is if 3 or 4 different candidates were willing the gang up on him all at once at the next debate, and even that might not work.

See, I think all that does is give him a boost by letting him tout how the typical politicians are trying to bring him down, I don't see how it doesn't backfire. I don't think they have any idea how to stop him.

Remember Trump + Cruz + Carson + Fiorina are at ~50%. There's a large enough anti-establishment mood in the party for a plurality to eventually coalesce around Trump if those other candidates drop out.

Imagine if it narrows to Trump vs Jeb and Clinton has already locked up the nomination by Super Tuesday. Dat Operation Chaos potential...

Trump pissing all over Reagan's 11th commandment is the most beautiful thing ever.

And the Bushes never attack openly. They've always relied on their scummy operatives, which doesn't work here. Trump is making him look so damn weak and effete.

I only see two ways they can take down the Donald. 1) Pressure him on his religious beliefs and hope his answer drives away the Evangelicals. 2) A majority of the candidates need to drop out very soon and hope their votes go to the establishment's pick and bury the Donald. I personally think the only thing he can say that will bring his numbers down is if he bad mouths Christianity. Either way it might not work as both could backfire. The votes could still be splintered or with the religion question he could say something that makes him look good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
See, I think all that does is give him a boost by letting him tout how the typical politicians are trying to bring him down, I don't see how it doesn't backfire. I don't think they have any idea how to stop him.

That's the problem I see too. While 3 or 4 guys ganging up on him might deal real damage, it would also backfire at the same time. It would be a matter of how much damage they could deal when compared with the backfire.

NeoXChaos

That would backfire immensely though. He would rip them to shreds. Look what he did to Rand Paul.

Notice the tweet never said "No more Clintons"

HylianTom

Banned
Remember Trump + Cruz + Carson + Fiorina are at ~50%. There's a large enough anti-establishment mood in the party for a plurality to eventually coalesce around Trump if those other candidates drop out.

Imagine if it narrows to Trump vs Jeb and Clinton has already locked up the nomination by Super Tuesday. Dat Operation Chaos potential...

I'd imagine that folks will know it's over if Hillary wins Iowa and New Hampshire. This is one of those situations where just a few percent might make a huge difference.

Konka

Banned
One on one he's an unbeatable beast, but maybe they could deal some damage if they all jump him together.

Maybe, but we already saw at the last debate that the others are worried about going on him too hard because 1.) that directs his megaphone at you and 2.) you risk alienating his coalition and losing the opportunity to get their votes. I mean Bush stayed out of his way, Kasich when basically told by the moderates to go after him made a point to basically compliment Trump. I don't think Carson really gives two shits about winning or the establishment. I just don't see who does it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe, but we already saw at the last debate that the others are worried about going on him too hard because 1.) that directs his megaphone at you and 2.) you risk alienating his coalition and losing the opportunity to get their votes. I mean Bush stayed out of his way, Kasich when basically told by the moderates to go after him made a point to basically compliment Trump. I don't think Carson really gives two shits about winning or the establishment. I just don't see who does it.

That's the other problem: how do you convince a bunch of selfish assholes to take one for the team?

NeoXChaos

I'd imagine that folks will know it's over if Hillary wins Iowa and New Hampshire. This is one of those situations where just a few percent might make a huge difference.

Unlikely to force Bernie out unless he gets destroyed on Super Tuesday and loses Vermont. Then by that point it truly would be effectively over.

HylianTom

Banned
Unlikely to force Bernie out unless he gets destroyed on Super Tuesday and loses Vermont. Then by that point it truly would be effectively over.

Oh, no doubt. I'm just betting that as time goes on and each state is decided, more and more open primary state Hillary voters would theoretically feel comfortable leaving her fate to momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom