• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

I don't think you can use that as a measuring stick, because there's no fucking way we'd actually go to a flat tax. That always seems like one of those things conservatives tell their base, but no one could ever actually implement.

Of course we'll never get a flat tax, we couldn't actually fund the government with one. Those people do actually pass tax cuts for the wealthy though, and they are plenty harmful.

I really think Bush is done, I think Rubio is going to be the establishment's choice.
The entire point of his strategy is faltering. PAC money can buy him ads but it doesn't get boots on the ground (campaign folks, aides, etc). His plan is to outlast everyone and yet he's running out of (campaign) money.

Once the first four contests are over I expect a variety of people to bow out. Christie, Perry, maybe Huckabee, perhaps even Rand Paul. That's going to benefit whoever the conservative alternative is at the time. I'm guessing Cruz but we'll see. If Bush can't put away the competition on Super Tuesday (March) I think his donors will bolt in masse.

IMO the last four will be Cruz, Rubio, Walker, and Bush. Maybe Kasich can last long enough to gain some Bush donors.

I had Rubio as the nominee from the start, but I seriously wonder how many wars we're going to fight if Rubio becomes president... I mean, a war with Russia to protect Estonia or Ukraine or another country could be a good call, but I could see him moving towards some terrible war against Iran or ISIS since he seems to love war.

Rubio's ideas on Assad and Sisi and college and immigration are better than other GOP contenders, but he hates women and loves war so much that I'd still be nervous with him possibly becoming president if we have an economic downturn.

Then again, Jeb! and Walker and the rest hate women just as much.

Anyone seeing new Iran deal ads by Nuclear Free Iran on TV, that has a giant picture of the Ayatollah, a sad music playing and some guy saying apocalypsy things?

ivysaur12

Banned
It'd be interesting if you kept track of your updates, too. That way we could see how peoples' opinions have changed over time. Maybe use a public Google Docs spreadsheet?

Smart. I like that. I'm really curious as well.

Changing from Jeb to Trump for the same reasons Aaron said earlier. I don't even know if it'll be Trump. But Jeb sounds like not a winner.

FiggyCal

Banned
I had Rubio as the nominee from the start, but I seriously wonder how many wars we're going to fight if Rubio becomes president... I mean, a war with Russia to protect Estonia or Ukraine or another country could be a good call, but I could see him moving towards some terrible war against Iran or ISIS since he seems to love war.

Rubio's ideas on Assad and Sisi and college and immigration are better than other GOP contenders, but he hates women and loves war so much that I'd still be nervous with him possibly becoming president if we have an economic downturn.

Marco Rubio is also in favor of building a fence around the border. I don't think his stance on immigration is better than Bush's.

A lot of war posturing is exaggerated bullshit to appease the war industry/neoconservatives. As president Rubio would actually have responsibilities that he doesn't have now, and they'd weigh on him heavily. A military confrontation with Russia literally doesn't make sense, nor do I believe neoconservatives would seriously push for it. A more likely target would indeed be Syria, where multiple (delusional) voices would argue a confrontation wouldn't be too costly. Even Bush couldn't be convinced to attack Iran so I'm going to assume most GOP candidates wouldn't either.

Regardless if we have a republican president he'd likely have to rebuild the US military, increase spending, etc. The US military as it currently stands isn't prepared for another invasion/occupation.

A lot of war posturing is exaggerated bullshit to appease the war industry/neoconservatives. As president Rubio would actually have responsibilities that he doesn't have now, and they'd weigh on him heavily. A military confrontation with Russia literally doesn't make sense, nor do I believe neoconservatives would seriously push for it. A more likely target would indeed be Syria, where multiple (delusional) voices would argue a confrontation wouldn't be too costly. Even Bush couldn't be convinced to attack Iran so I'm going to assume most GOP candidates wouldn't either.

Regardless if we have a republican president he'd likely have to rebuild the US military, increase spending, etc. The US military as it currently stands isn't prepared for another invasion/occupation.
You're giving neocons too much credit. They will invade Iran in a heartbeat. Marco would jump ass first into a confrontation with Russia. They are children.

Is trump going to destroy grover and all GOP orthodoxy besides immigration?

CNwIKDFXAAAsLIf.png

Seriously he's winning but running on higher taxes on the rich, not dismantling the social safety net, opposing flat tax, what's next?

As usual Trump does the middle-of-the-road approach. On Palin's interview he was cool on the flat tax but didn't dismiss it completely. He mentioned the hedge fund taxes being too low but it was like a two sentence comment and you haven't heard it at any of his rallies.

But again, it's not 100% clear: is he for or against the flat tax? Will he raise taxes on hedge funds if he is President?

We don't know, and his fans don't seem to care.

ivysaur12

Banned
Thanks, Obama.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150831...allows-medicaid-expansion-take-effect-tuesday

The Alaska Supreme Court issued an order Monday allowing Medicaid expansion to start in Alaska Tuesday, expanding health care coverage to up to 40,000 low-income Alaskans as lawyers continue to battle about the legality of expansion.

The state Legislature had filed a motion for emergency relief and a petition for emergency review Friday after a superior court judge ruled that Gov. Bill Walker’s administration could expand the Medicaid health care program, dismissing a request to temporarily block enrollment.

"The petition for review is denied on the ground that the council has failed to show the superior court erred in its legal analysis for the grant or denial of the motion for preliminary injection or abused its discretion in denying the motion for preliminary injunction," the Supreme Court's order said. "The motion for emergency relief is denied as moot."

EDIT: Hm. Nope?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...22,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6c8efafa9ccf03f2

benjipwns

Banned
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/karl-rove-obama-mckinley-hawaii
Rove, former deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush who is working on a book about President McKinley, told Time that he'd expect Obama to be "more gracious" to the man "who made it possible for him to be President."

"In a serious vein, I would hope that he would find a gracious way to honor McKinley, who is an important figure in American history. And I’m not certain he has the authority to have done what he did; the designation was granted by law of Congress in 1917," Rove told the magazine. "In a more jocular way, the guy ought to be more gracious to the guy who made it possible for him to be President."

Both of them have major political experience, though.
Now, yeah.

I love how Bobby Jindal has pretty much said the most offensive things ever just to possibly get attention and he's still polling at 0%, lolololol.

Trump and Carson making up 44% of the vote shows Trump's path to victory. He needs Carson's polling and that may be enough to get him to the nomination if he gets some of the Cruz/Huckabee dudes... Trump might actually beat Rubio and win this thing, wow.

HylianTom

Banned
Jindal has fucked over Louisiana.. so that he can poll at 0%?
Yes, I love this. This is a wonderful thing. I will revel in it. Fuck him with a rusty chainsaw.

And put me down in the Trump column for now. He's becoming too many voters' acceptable second choice.

Jindal's failure is chicken noodle soup for the soul. Sadly I doubt he went into this year thinking he could become president, or come close. More than likely this is him angling for a Fox News gig plus speech invitations. Given his toxic record I doubt he can hope for a cabinet position in anyone's administration, either. He's also attacking all the people who actually might win the nomination (Walker, Rubio, Bush, etc).

Dude is a piece of shit who has literally ruined people's lives in his quest to become president.

I love how Bobby Jindal has pretty much said the most offensive things ever just to possibly get attention and he's still polling at 0%, lolololol.

Trump and Carson making up 44% of the vote shows Trump's path to victory. He needs Carson's polling and that may be enough to get him to the nomination if he gets some of the Cruz/Huckabee dudes... Trump might actually beat Rubio and win this thing, wow.
I'd go further and add Fiorina and Cruz. 58% does not give two shits about the establishment candidate.

Fiorina is fairly moderate compared to depraved campaigns Trump, Carson, Cruz, and Huckabee are running though. I have little idea whether her voters support her philosophy or just fucking hate Jeb! so I don't know whether they'd go Trump or establishment after she fades.

Some sad polls:

CNx8lELUEAAMxbs.jpg

CNx72rmUYAE5AZ4.png

Fiorina is fairly moderate compared to depraved campaigns Trump, Carson, Cruz, and Huckabee are running though. I have little idea whether her voters support her philosophy or just fucking hate Jeb! so I don't know whether they'd go Trump or establishment after she fades.
Yeah, I mean I wouldn't say she's as big a nutcase as the other three but she'd be just as much a disaster if she made it to the GE.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, I mean I wouldn't say she's as big a nutcase as the other three but she'd be just as much a disaster if she made it to the GE.
The potential for people to elect the first woman President could be huge. Especially when the other party's option is a racist old white guy.

If there were some way to remotely view an alternative universe in which Trump wins, I'd love to see how he handles realizing the structural limitations of our government.

He tries something.. the courts kill it.
He calls on Congress, they can't get a cloture vote.
He goes to a foreign country and tries to strong-arm a deal, the talks end at a standstill.
He tries something else.. courts kill it..
And so on..
And so on..
He would bitch about it. "the do nothing one hundred and fourteenth congress"

NeoXChaos

These emails are work related? Next email is probably going to ask what Bill likes with his chocolate chip cookies lol.

Talk about love and devotion. That David Heifenbein email is nice to read.

But I must reiterate one comment that I made: I have worked for you for so long for a reason: Not for my resume. Not
for myself, But because of you. I am confident enough to say that I know you well enough to tell others that I have
worked for the most brilliant mind and strongest leader I will ever see in my lifetime. And I am incredibly proud of that.
With eternal thanks and appreciation, of which cannot be summed up in words, let alone in an email,

and the Bernie stans think she is calculating. Well David just confessed his unending love and admiration for his boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom