• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

So, Jeb!'s out. Now we have from now until december to watch Rubio fail, and the establishment will have no one else left to back but Kasich.

Then January comes, Trump and Carson realize they might actually win, commit political suicide to get out actually having to be president while republicans voters realize how stupid they were to ever back those guys, and my hail mary pick of Kasich works out.

It's all going according plan.
And then you realize that all of those votes go straight to Cruz. Not to mention, Trump is clearly in it to win it.

Marco Rubio aides attacked other challengers for missing votes, hearings
(CNN) Aides spearheading Sen. Marco Rubio's rising presidential campaign spent the 2014 election cycle eviscerating a Democrat on the same charges being lodged against Rubio: He didn't show up at his day job.

Rubio's communications director, Alex Conant, and Todd Harris, a senior adviser to Rubio, used former Iowa Rep. Bruce Braley's long record of missing hearings as a key component of their messaging strategy to elect now Sen. Joni Ernst.

"Iowans were inundated with messages highlighting Braley's missed votes," a Republican political consultant in Iowa told CNN, who spoke on condition of anonymity to openly discuss the strategy executed by the pair of Rubio operatives who engineered Ernst's campaign. "It was a devastating blow to his campaign here."

Social media from the time paints Ernst's operation -- featuring Harris and Conant -- frequently slamming their opponent for skipping out on his congressional duties.

On July 17, 2014, Harris tweeted, "While VA was in crisis, Braley skipped 74% of VA hearings," linking to a Iowa Republican Party press release tallying the Democrat's attendance record.

Two days later, Harris took to Twitter again, and spotlighted a Iowa Gazette "Fact Checker" story that found the previous claim true. In fact, the paper ruled the Iowa GOP underestimated how often Braley missed committee hearings. He did so 78% of the time, according to the paper.

Harris tweeted on the subject again, three days later, after the Des Moines Register reported Braley missed a VA hearing to attend three fundraisers.

In the home stretch of the campaign, on October 24, 2014, Conant tweeted a Sioux City Journal article calling Braley's attendance record "troubling."

Braley's team felt so pressured by the claims they commissioned a rebuttal ad in which the campaign attempted to turn the attack back on the Ernst campaign by claiming she "missed 36% of votes in the Iowa senate."

Of the attendance issue, the Iowa political hand said Harris and Conant "pushed the issue mercilessly."

"They wouldn't take the foot off the gas," the consultant added.

Rubio and his aides have been dismissive of the charges, insisting his attendance record matters little since he's not running again for Senate.

When asked about the issue, Conant told CNN in an email, "I'm not going to add to what my boss said last night and on television this morning."

CNN reached out to Harris for comment, but he did not immediately respond.

The charges got new fuel Wednesday.

First, the Sun Sentinel, a paper that endorsed Rubio in 2010 when he first ran for Senate, demanded that Rubio resign. Then, on the Republican debate stage, Jeb Bush told his former protege he should "just resign and let someone else take the job."

While Rubio parried the attack, and thwacked Bush with a devastating one-liner telling his "friend" that he got bad advice from his consultants, the Iowa consultant insists this new narrative should worry Rubio's team in Iowa.

"That editorial is devastating," the consultant said. "Braley never had an Iowa paper say he should resign over missed votes. That's a whole new level of scrutiny that would have buried him here, yet the Rubio team still beat him without that added cover."
Pls print.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And then you realize that all of those votes go straight to Cruz. Not to mention, Trump is clearly in it to win it.

They're never gonna go for Cruz. Republicans might be crazy enough to back Trump and Carson, but they're not that crazy. I refuse to believe it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Cruz is a saner pick than Trump and Carson lol. His problem is convincing them he's a Washington outsider.

Cruz is basically Ron Paul in his policies. There's at least 3 different policies of his that would outright implode the american economy.

Trump and Carson may not know what they're doing, but at least they're not proposing things that would destroy the country.

Cruz is basically Ron Paul in his policies. There's at least 3 different policies of his that would outright implode the american economy.

Trump and Carson may not know what they're doing, but at least they're not proposing things that would destroy the country.

Trump wants to deport millions of people and build impossibly expensive walls. Carson's ever shifting economic ideas are completely nuts.

Makai

Trump wants to instigate a humanitarian crisis and a trade war. Carson wants to abolish the most successful government programs and start a world war.

Trump wants to instigate a humanitarian crisis and a trade war. Carson wants to abolish the most successful government programs and start a world war.

Cruz wants to destroy the economy, start a world war, abolish the most successful government programs, and cause a humanitarian crisis though. Carson+Trump+"REAL MONEY BACKED BY REAL GOLD"=Cruz

Tarkus

Megyn Kelly's new haircut is so goddamn hot. LAWD!!
fansself3.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I finally saw Hilldawg on Colbert. How free and easy she is these days. Needs to be called before more special committees.

I finally saw Hilldawg on Colbert. How free and easy she is these days. Needs to be called before more special committees.

Give the GOP time. I'm sure there's something about Vince Foster they can come up with within the next six months.

Edit: WTH did I get "Ben" from?

Because I give credit where it's due

He needs to get control of his campaign. Their messages are all over the place.
The campaign presumably doesn't want to make an enemy of EMILY's List, who despite endorsing Clinton had previously demurred from being too critical of Sanders' campaign.

Those unfiltered campaign comments really don't present a good look. I don't know why on earth they authorised that story.
(Nor do the tweets responding to Schriock really.)

The campaign presumably doesn't want to make an enemy of EMILY's List, who despite endorsing Clinton had previously demurred from being too critical of Sanders' campaign.

Those unfiltered campaign comments really don't present a good look. I don't know why on earth they authorised that story.
(Nor do the tweets responding to Schriock really.)

My boyfriend and I were talking about this. His idea is that they want to bate Clinton into going negative so that they can respond in kind. Hillary's not going to be drawn into that with Sanders. Maybe they're hoping that someone from her campaign will let something slip that they can use against her.

I personally think that gives them too much credit. I don't think they have a coherent plan.

My boyfriend and I were talking about this. His idea is that they want to bate Clinton into going negative so that they can respond in kind. Hillary's not going to be drawn into that with Sanders. Maybe they're hoping that someone from her campaign will let something slip that they can use against her.

I personally think that gives them too much credit. I don't think they have a coherent plan.

there's no need to go negative when you're up 30+ points. Sanders isn't a legitimate threat to hillary's candidacy, and never really was.

there's no need to go negative when you're up 30+ points. Sanders isn't a legitimate threat to hillary's candidacy, and never really was.

Right, I agree. However, if Sander's campaign thinks their only chance is to go negative, and Sanders won't go for it, they (ie Devine and the rest) may think their best bet is try and make Clinton slip up somehow. Then, they can take it to Sanders and say "See, she did it first, we can correct her!" I'm not saying I agree, because it means there's an actual plan. I don't think their campaign has a real plan.

Teggy

Is there an updated matrix where they compare first choices to second choices in the Republican primary?

I'm most curious if Carson voters would also vote for Trump and vice versa, or if these are really completely separate populations.

Is there an updated matrix where they compare first choices to second choices in the Republican primary?

I'm most curious if Carson voters would also vote for Trump and vice versa, or if these are really completely separate populations.

CNN did a focus group test. They had 7 Carson supporters going in out of 15 total Republicans. After the debate, out of those 7, 5 changed their minds and only 2 Carson supporters remained. Others were split between the different candidates. They asked one of the switchers why she changed her mind, and she said it's because he did not seem presidential/lacked strength to be president. She switched to Trump. I believe that's what's gonna happen to Carson's stock very, very soon. Can't wait for polls and the next debate.

Makai

In the last poll, Rubio was the most popular second choice. But these polls are very inaccurate because so few of them are taken.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rand Paul filibustered for 18 minutes today, good job, good effort.

Was it an actual filibuster or another of those fake ones he does to look good for the Paulites?

the actual correct answer is all of them.

trump knows how to play the game.

Yep, dude knows all press is good press if you know what you're doing. There was an article about it a few months ago, right after he announced.

Makai

I'm rewatching the debate with Seder commentary. Carson and Kasich looked worse than I remembered.

Kasich: "we can't ship 10 million americans....i mean people...out of the country"

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Trump just retweets everything (without using the actual feature) and thanks them.
We should see what the craziest thing we can get him to retweet is. Not like a gotcha of a serial killer pic. I mean like
"Yo trump got swag game on fleek 💯♨️🎷"

Wilsongt

Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz told Glenn Beck yesterday that people who agree climate change is occurring lack the facts to back it up because, “climate change is not a science, it’s a religion.”

In an interview with the radio host (that aired before last night’s debate), Cruz said he was surprised that so few Republican candidates in the first Presidential debate self-identified as a climate change skeptic. “For whatever reason, they were afraid to say yes and they sort of bobbed and weaved on that question. I tried to jump in I said ‘Jake [Tapper], you want a skeptic? I’m right here,'” Cruz said.

So shouldn't that mean the GOP should embrace climate change since it's a religion and we know how much the GOP love their religion.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/cruz-climate-change-is-not-a-science-its-a-religion/

El Yebe! even pissed off the French lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom