• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Browsing some Donald Trump reddit this morning. These guys legitimately think Trump can debate.
It is going to be amazing TV! And I don't doubt that were this a GOP primary-style debate she'd be entirely out of her element. But yeah that's not how this works. If he tries to turn it "Wrestlemania" as he's said he wants to do he'll just look like a jackass in front of the biggest TV audience of his life. The first debate in particular is extreme sterile. He can't call her names, he can't bullshit claims that are 100% false that he's accustomed to using as talking points, Clinton and the moderator will actually stand up to him, and he has no crowd to save him.

To address Trump's schedule complaints, it's just the VP debate that's against prime time NFL, btw, so he shouldn't give a shit about ratings. Plus, Giants@Packers isn't a good enough game to draw anyone away. The only person on PoliGAF dumb enough to prefer the football is probably me, and that's only because I'll be at the game. And drunk. Though I am examining streaming options! Sorry VPs, you're way too dull to pass up one of the few tailgates and games at Lambeau I get per year.

Diablos

Can someone explain why the Clinton campaign isn't hitting the Trump U/Pam Bondi story as much as they fucking can?
Generally speaking it seems like they've been softer on the attacks over the past month... I really don't get it.

It's so disgusting knowing that Roger Ailes of all people is playing a big role in the Trump campaign now.

Browsing some Donald Trump reddit this morning. These guys legitimately think Trump can debate.

TwD75ew.png

Oh wow, they actually think Hillary Clinton is more bait-able than Donald Trump. I refer them to both the 11 hour Benghazi hearings from last year, and @realDonaldTrump.

What freaks me out is Clinton's favorability rating dropping 15% in a month with a core constituency. I think that is consistent with what we've seen from other polls this month which show her unfavorables rising. In addition to that, I'm baffled that they've just started to run Spanish language campaign ads. I'm not concerned in the broader sense because of the what you pointed out (especially considering the hispanic vote will likely increase this cycle), but I do think it's safe to say that the Clinton campaign chose a strategy of fundraising aggressively out of the public eye in August and that it has had some negative consequences (like letting Trump's negative attacks stick in the media) which need to be addressed going forward.

It doesn't make any damn sense, does it? What's changed this last month or so to move the numbers in a negative fashion, a month that had Clinton bringing the facts and fire with her alt-right speech, and then Trump with that immigration monstrosity, and yet she still manages to lose favorability like that? People are fucking stupid.

thebloo

What freaks me out is Clinton's favorability rating dropping 15% in a month with a core constituency. I think that is consistent with what we've seen from other polls this month which show her unfavorables rising. In addition to that, I'm baffled that they've just started to run Spanish language campaign ads. I'm not concerned in the broader sense because of the what you pointed out (especially considering the hispanic vote will likely increase this cycle), but I do think it's safe to say that the Clinton campaign chose a strategy of fundraising aggressively out of the public eye in August and that it has had some negative consequences (like letting Trump's negative attacks stick in the media) which need to be addressed going forward.

She's still at 70% with them. And they are targeting Spanish speakers, it says in the article. Just not with national ads.

STOP DISRESPECTING MOOK

Grexeno

It doesn't make any damn sense, does it? What's changed this last month or so, a month that had Clinton bringing the facts and fire with her alt-right speech, and then Trump with that immigration monstrosity, and yet she still manages to lose favorability like that? People are fucking stupid.
CLINTON FOUNDATION EMAILS CLINTON FOUNDATION PAYTOPLAY CLINTON FOUNDATION EMAILS

Diablos

I think any headline, especially from somewhere like the AP saying negative things about Hillary's emails or things perceived as shady in the Clinton Foundation are really damaging. People are probably getting tired of reading things that suggest even slightly that she may have conducted herself poorly, even if these headlines and articles are misleading.

edit: Yeah, what Grexeno said above.

Her campaign has to be more aggressive in how they respond and they have to starting going more negative on Trump. This is entirely possible while staying truthful.

Pastor Mark Burns' no good awful, very bad week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...his-inflated-bio-are-painfully-painfully-bad/

Days after the top Trump backer and Republican convention speaker was forced to apologize for tweeting a cartoon of Hillary Clinton in blackface, CNN did some digging into his apparently inflated bio claims.

The televangelist on Friday night admitted to overstating some of his claims on his Facebook page. Then, on Saturday morning, CNN aired this brutal interview with Burns, in which he struggles to explain his readily apparent résumé inflation.

It gets tough to watch at certain points.

Here's a recap:

1. Confronted with an apparently bogus claim that he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity, Burns initially says he "started the process" of joining the fraternity. Then he argues that such facts were added to his bio by a hacker. "Obviously this has been manipulated or either hacked or added," Burns says. So a hacker altered his bio and just happened to use the same fraternity that Burns began the process of joining?

2. When asked about the bio's claim that he served six years in the Army Reserve, Burns says he did. When confronted with records that indicate he was actually in the National Guard, Burns says, "It is Reserves. The Army South Carolina National Guard is Reserves." If you want to know the difference between the two, see here.

3. When confronted with his claim to have graduated with a bachelor of science degree from North Greenville University, Burns tries to argue that the interview was and had been off the record.

BURNS: I asked you just a moment ago, as we opened up this — and first of all, I said we were off the record.

VICTOR BLACKWELL: I didn't agree to that.

BURNS: Yeah, but I did. I did.

BLACKWELL: We're still rolling. I'm still asking you questions on the record.

BURNS: I'm off the record. I'm off the record, because I think this is not fair that you — this is not fair at all. This is not what I agreed to. I thought we were doing a profile, and all the sudden you're here to try and destroy my character.

Note to any future interview subjects: You are not off the record unless the journalist agrees to it. And if you are on camera and you'd prefer to be off the record, you had better make sure it's not rolling.

4. Asked about his claim to be pursing a master's degree from Andersonville Theological Seminary, where he enrolled in 2008 but hasn't advanced, Burns's explanation shifts. Now standing and swaying, he explains: "Do you know how old this [bio] is? This hasn't been updated — I think there's an updated profile on me that's on the website."

So asked whether the information is simply old or had been tampered with, Burns says, "These are old information. This is extremely, extremely old information."

Then, perhaps predictably, Burns walks away, mid-interview.

Lucille One or Two?

There are issues, I believe, with the WaPo approval ratings, specifically among Hispanic voters. There are other data points that show us that her approval rating among Hispanic voters has not dropped.

I think we'd agree probably the best Latino poll is the one from Latino Decisions.

In April, they had her at 61/32.
In July, they had her at 62/36.
In August, they have her at 68/29.

There was also no reason to run Spanish language ads defining Trump. The spanish speaking community has seen what he is and knows what he is. Those are about turnout, now, and have diminishing returns. Personally, I think it's still a bit early to run those, but they clearly think now is the time.

There was no negative to fundraising in the background. The polls were not going to stay at an 8 point lead. That wasn't going to happen. You need cash to compete. Trump was attacking himself. She's still had events. Kaine has been out there. You had the Olympics eating up nearly a month of time. Like, this is how you campaign. It's the smart way to run an operation.

A lot of this time has been spent doing the unsexy things that people want to pretend don't matter. Things like making sure you have all of your field offices open, making sure your data team is ready to go. This shit takes time and money, and they spent a lot of this month's time on it, and made sure they had the money to fund it.

Grexeno

I'm not sure really ramping up the attacks on Trump would have any major effect. His biggest injuries were all self-inflicted.

I think any headline, especially from somewhere like the AP saying negative things about Hillary's emails or things perceived as shady in the Clinton Foundation are really damaging. People are probably getting tired of reading things that suggest even slightly that she may have conducted herself poorly, even if these headlines and articles are misleading.

edit: Yeah, what Grexeno said above.

Her campaign has to be more aggressive in how they respond and they have to starting going more negative on Trump. This is entirely possible while staying truthful.

There is no benefit whatsoever on going more negative on Trump by her campaign. Negative campaigning exists to hurt your opponent, not to strengthen your support. Trump's favorables aren't going to get any worse. 30% is where a GOP politician will land no matter what. (See Dubya at the end of his term). Everyone knows all the bad stuff about Trump. It's out there. It exists.

Instead, you spend these last 65 days (or however long it is) pushing your vision and your record. You contrast it with Trump, showing again that he's temperamentally unfit to be President, but you DO NOT get in the gutter by continuing to attack him.

Her campaign knows what the fuck they're doing.

I'm not sure really ramping up the attacks on Trump would have any major effect. His biggest injuries were all self-inflicted.

This is correct. If you start hammering him on every little fuck up, you've politicized it and it's now political theater. You stay clear of that, and let the media do it. And, contrary to what people want to say, they actually have done that. The disabled reporter thing was so damaging because Hillary didn't get out there 24/7 and say OMG DID U GUIS SEE DIS? At that point, it's a political attack rather than a fuck up/gaffe. A few months later, you can mention it to reinforce what he did...but you cannot get out there and just throw attack after attack after attack.

thefro

It's basically stupid people:

Right-winger: "Do you hear the FBI released the Hillary investigation notes? I heard on the radio they were talking like it was the smoking gun and they should lock her up." *mentions something exaggerated/taken out of context*

Undecided voter with gnat brain: ".... well if this guy says it it must be true"

Iolo

Hillary's support from the Hispanic community may in fact not be phenomenal, but that wapo article is politicoesque. The 4 people it quoted, in order, were a Bernie supporter, a Republican, a guy who did outreach for Obama in 2008, and an anonymous Democratic strategist.

Joy is bae. Although, I can only watch bits of it because, something more important than politics is about to happen.

OHIO STATE FOOTBALL.

gcubed

There are issues, I believe, with the WaPo approval ratings, specifically among Hispanic voters. There are other data points that show us that her approval rating among Hispanic voters has not dropped.

I think we'd agree probably the best Latino poll is the one from Latino Decisions.

In April, they had her at 61/32.
In July, they had her at 62/36.
In August, they have her at 68/29.

There was also no reason to run Spanish language ads defining Trump. The spanish speaking community has seen what he is and knows what he is. Those are about turnout, now, and have diminishing returns. Personally, I think it's still a bit early to run those, but they clearly think now is the time.

There was no negative to fundraising in the background. The polls were not going to stay at an 8 point lead. That wasn't going to happen. You need cash to compete. Trump was attacking himself. She's still had events. Kaine has been out there. You had the Olympics eating up nearly a month of time. Like, this is how you campaign. It's the smart way to run an operation.

A lot of this time has been spent doing the unsexy things that people want to pretend don't matter. Things like making sure you have all of your field offices open, making sure your data team is ready to go. This shit takes time and money, and they spent a lot of this month's time on it, and made sure they had the money to fund it.

Stop talking sense, we need to worry!!!!!

I see that the diablosing has commenced right on schedule. Her campaign knows whats it's doing. They have shown themselves capable with the primaries, with the Benghazi witch hunt, and with the DNC and they will show themselves capable again during the debates. Mook et al. are very capable people. Some of you guys just have very short attention spans :p

Stop talking sense, we need to worry!!!!!
giphy.gif

Sorry. Anyone who wants to proceed with setting parts of their anatomy on fire can get on with it. :p

Also, Amarosa is sitting with Trump. Because he literally, has two African Americans: her and Dr. Carson. That's it.

Chad Livengood ‏@ChadLivengood 56s57 seconds ago
Trump just greeted and showed off a baby to the congregation as he shakes hands
Huh?

Oh god, Trump is talking. Oh god.

HE JUST SAID THAT HE THINKS AFRICAN AMERICANS CAN UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF THE BLACK CHURCH BETTER THAN HE DOES .... BUT ONLY IN SOME WAYS.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Why is CNN reporting that she couldn't 'remember' 39 times but wholly ignore the other parts of the report that said she did nothing wrong. At all.

It's why i'm so pissed off so many people believe in the concept of the "liberal media".

Personally, I get all of my news from the Liberl media, Nial is just a fantastic reporter.

"I hope my presence will help your voice reach more people"

WTF

When the crowd doesn't respond to everything he says, he just starts grasping for anything he can get.

Was Wapo the one that compared the catholic exits?

Yes, they compared regular polls to exits there too. I'd be interested to see an actual valid comparison between 2016 and 2012 polls of Latinos (or Catholics) and not this misleading and pointless exercise WaPo is doing.

If there is one thing that could make Oklahoma flip blue, It's these earthquakes. People here are beyond fed up with them and the oil companies. This state is not built to handle earthquakes this large/often and it's getting worse every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom