• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

No Trump taxes until Hillary undeletes her emails.

Hillary just need to let the tax issue go. We all know Trump is a lying dorito of a man.

I like how Gary Johnson, above all odds, is actually attempting to run a proper campaign. Watching the circus of Stein and Trump, it's almost refreshing to actually see a candidate grounded in reality that isn't Hillary.

He did an AMA last night. Unlike Trump who just did his on r/thedonald's echo chamber or Stein whose was a disaster showing her glaring lack of experience on anything, Johnson actually answered actually policy questions and made a decent attempt to show that he actually is technically qualified to be president

I might disagree with him on 90% of his positions, but at least he has actual governing experience, and seems to be running at least a half way decent campaign, despite being part of a tiny party. And I can respect that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
NBC poll shows Clinton in the lead nationally and in swing states...

Headline. "Trump up big among veterans"

Liberal media my butt...

Iolo

I expect that forum tonight to be a big pile of nothing with no effect on the race, just as every primary forum was.

Like, even though in many ways they were pretty horrible people, I think it's totally fine to show some admiration for them coming up with such a revolutionary system of government and what have you. My problem is the conservative worship as actual gods that's a bit creepy.

Jefferson may have sired a bunch of children with Sally Hemmings, but he was still happily married to his wife. Checkmate libtard.

Though I will give that one Tea Party group in Texas a few years back some credit for wanting to kick Jefferson out of the history books
for not being sufficiently Christian.

Worshiping anybody like that is gross. I'm a big fan of FDR and Lincoln, but they were not without real flaws.

The conservative co-opting (and cherry-picking, and outright revisionism) of the Founders is a huge pet peeve of mine. And it's not like they were all behind the ideas we ended up with, either. Some of them wanted something a lot closer to monarchy.

thefro

Good Politico article on Elan Kriegel and Clinton's super-secret data operation with 60 staffers.

Politico said:
Staff in Clinton’s analytics department sit under a sign that hangs from the ceiling with the words “statistically significant” printed on it. And overnight, in some of the few hours that headquarters isn’t whirring with activity, the team’s computers run 400,000 simulations of the fall campaign in what amounts to a massive stress-test of the possibilities on Nov. 8. That way, in morning calls with senior staff, Kriegel can deliver any key findings.

One Democratic strategist, an Obama veteran with knowledge of the Clinton campaign, marveled at Kriegel’s sway in Brooklyn. “I have never seen a campaign that’s more driven by the analytics,” the strategist said. It’s not as if Kriegel’s data has ever turned around Clinton’s campaign plane; it’s that her plane almost never takes off without Kriegel’s data charting its path in the first place.

“From our schedule to our voter contact to where our organizers spend their time, almost everyone here interacts with his work and their work is influenced by his insights,” Mook said, calling Kriegel’s analyses the campaign’s “invisible guiding hand.”

He's at 50% approval, 47% disapproval when you add it up, which isn't that far off what the average has been.

It's interesting that Jefferson's actual presidency is still regarded so positively.

I mean, he did a lot of extremely important things (both good and bad) outside of the presidency, but his actual presidency didn't include that many notable things.

Pros: Set aside beliefs about constitution to buy a bunch of land, fought pirates, didn't implement many of his extremely stupid ideas about government, fixed stupid flaw in constitution regarding electing vice presidents, Lewis and Clark expedition, ban of slave trade.

Cons: Boycotted trade in a move that was, uhh, not so good for the U.S. economy, eliminated excise taxes.

The actual war against piracy is never mentioned as an important historical event so it's basically a legacy of buying land, extending the ban on the slave trade while being a slaveowner, and Lewis and Clark vs. destroying the U.S. economy for a few years.

Outside of the presidency, he wrote the Declaration of Independence, he helped lead to the Civil War (with Madison's help), he created the argument for states' rights along with Madison, and he was a slave owning rapist and these are all things that are extremely notable about Jefferson. But his presidency itself... Kind of not that interesting on Jefferson's side? Burr and Napoleon were obviously hugely interesting figures in that time, but not Jefferson in particular.

He was also pretty hugely influential in the French Revolution.

Zukkoyaki

True, I guess I was just looking at the strongly numbers. More people strongly dislike it over those who strongly like him.
Does that really surprise you though? Many people absolutely HATE Obama despite being unable to articulate a decent reason why. It's bad enough that he's a liberal, but the fact that he's also a BLACK MUSLIM TERRORIST breeds a bit of disdain. I remember back in December 08 when idiots were blaming him for the economy before he was inaugurated...

...god so much of this history stuff I had forgotten until Hamilton

I mean, I can tell you who the Marquis de Lafayette is now

One of the things that Hamiltonmania has taught me is that I know a lot more about the founders than most people in my social circle. I feel like I didn't remember or know all that much before the show got me reading, but it was miles more than my friends. I thought everyone knew Hamilton established the banking system and clashed with Jefferson. Not so, it turns out. I also remembered who Lafayette was (although I didn't know about what happened to him after our revolution, and I do now).

I kinda want some sort of Franklin cultural phenomenon now. He's my favorite.

I find US history before the Civil War to be a little boring. Maybe that's because school used to spend 75% of the year on pre-Civil War stuff, then the next 20% on the Civil War and the rest of the time trying to cram two world wars in. We never covered modern history at all until High School. So nothing was new for me every single time we did history class all through grade school.

Or maybe it's just because I took college classes on the Civil War (specifically, on Abraham Lincoln's presidency) and modern American history (started post WWII and ended around the Iraq War)

The Founding Fathers are pushed so hard in school, it actually made me disinterested in them. It also doesn't help that a lot of the stuff you learn about as a kid end up just being folk tales (like Washington and his cherry tree or Ben and his kite, which we learned as a matter of fact in grade school). Which makes you distrust a lot of your education on them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One of the things that Hamiltonmania has taught me is that I know a lot more about the founders than most people in my social circle. I feel like I didn't remember or know all that much before the show got me reading, but it was miles more than my friends. I thought everyone knew Hamilton established the banking system and clashed with Jefferson. Not so, it turns out. I also remembered who Lafayette was (although I didn't know about what happened to him after our revolution, and I do now).

I kinda want some sort of Franklin cultural phenomenon now. He's my favorite.

Franklin liked French prostitutes too much for that to happen.

Bill is planning something special.
lvnvdwB.jpg

Fuchsdh

I find US history before the Civil War to be a little boring. Maybe that's because school used to spend 75% of the year on pre-Civil War stuff, then the next 20% on the Civil War and the rest of the time trying to cram two world wars in. We never covered modern history at all until High School. So nothing was new for me every single time we did history class all through grade school.

Or maybe it's just because I took college classes on the Civil War (specifically, on Abraham Lincoln's presidency) and modern American history (started post WWII and ended around the Iraq War)

The Founding Fathers are pushed so hard in school, it actually made me disinterested in them. It also doesn't help that a lot of the stuff you learn about as a kid end up just being folk tales (like Washington and his cherry tree or Ben and his kite, which we learned as a matter of fact in grade school). Which makes you distrust a lot of your education on them.

The formation of the country is perhaps the most interesting period of American history, I dunno how you can call it boring. When you realize how everyone was flying by the seat of the pants and it could have descended into war or splintered the states with one wrong move, it's pretty incredible.

I can understand being bothered by the deification of the Founding Fathers, because it can sometimes be used to ignore their human flaws. But all they accomplished despite those arguments or weaknesses is what makes them so great.

Tarkus

Assange is going to do some damage to your queen. He already has. Let's hope he doesn't cough up anything else.

thefro

The formation of the country is perhaps the most interesting period of American history, I dunno how you can call it boring. When you realize how everyone was flying by the seat of the pants and it could have descended into war or splintered the states with one wrong move, it's pretty incredible.

I can understand being bothered by the deification of the Founding Fathers, because it can sometimes be used to ignore their human flaws. But all they accomplished despite those arguments or weaknesses is what makes them so great.

Yeah, I think the textbooks do the Founders a disservice by sanitizing everything when the reality is a lot more interesting. All of sorts of fights, affairs, duels, mudslinging, etc. Hamilton is shockingly interesting.

Typically they kind of gloss over all the struggles between the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Yeah, I think the textbooks do the Founders a disservice by sanitizing everything when the reality is a lot more interesting. All of sorts of fights, affairs, duels, mudslinging, etc. Hamilton is shockingly interesting.

Typically they kind of gloss over all the struggles between the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Hamilton is also heavily fictionalized. It's great, but be careful about treating it as factual. Big liberties are taken for dramatic purposes.

For instance, the election of 1800 is fascinating in real life but would be way confusing to present as it actually occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom