• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

These are men in drag, not trans women, correct? Aren't they using the "wrong" bathroom regardless of laws in the state?

A trans friendly bathroom law protects people using the bathroom of their gender identity. A man in drag is not temporarily a trans woman, in my understanding, but correct me if I am wrong.

If only there were some drag experts here to help me understand better!

I'm far from a drag expert, but I can tell you that this will not affect the gods forsaken --optics-- in the least so I am not even slightly inclined to think it worth attacking from the rear. Not in a world where fists and cruel words and worse are so frequently employed to refuse to admit to any distinction between men in drag and trans women. Not to mention that it is pretty fucking far from the end of all things if a gent happens to shit in the ladies'

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm far from a drag expert, but I can tell you that this will not affect the gods forsaken --optics-- in the least so I am not even slightly inclined to think it worth attacking from the rear. Not in a world where fists and cruel words and worse are so frequently employed to refuse to admit to any distinction between men in drag and trans women. Not to mention that it is pretty fucking far from the end of all things if a gent happens to shit in the ladies'
I hope my post didn't come across as attacking it, because that wasn't my intention, my intention was to learn.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I have a bit of Founder infatuation, but it doesn't lead me to ignore their faults. And whenever it comes up, I stress to people that they didn't agree on a ton of stuff.

Like, even though in many ways they were pretty horrible people, I think it's totally fine to show some admiration for them coming up with such a revolutionary system of government and what have you. My problem is the conservative worship as actual gods that's a bit creepy.

What is even more amusing is that the right tries to portray the founders as Devout Christians with 'traditional family values' who established the American Government on those Christian values.

Jefferson may have sired a bunch of children with Sally Hemmings, but he was still happily married to his wife. Checkmate libtard.

Though I will give that one Tea Party group in Texas a few years back some credit for wanting to kick Jefferson out of the history books
for not being sufficiently Christian.

Owzers

Trump will give his generals, whom he knows more about Isis than, 30 days to give him a plan, which he already has but won't tell us because he likes surprises, to defeat Isis.

Serious candidate for president for around half the country.

Piecake

Jefferson may have sired a bunch of children with Sally Hemmings, but he was still happily married to his wife. Checkmate libtard.

Though I will give that one Tea Party group in Texas a few years back some credit for wanting to kick Jefferson out of the history books
for not being sufficiently Christian.

They would need to kick out quite a few founders if that was their criteria

Trump will give his generals, whom he knows more about Isis than, 30 days to give him a plan, which he already has but won't tell us because he likes surprises, to defeat Isis.

Serious candidate for president for around half the country.
Trump might have gotten a letter of support signed by 88 former and retired military leaders, but Romney got a letter signed by 500. Telling.

It's interesting that Jefferson's actual presidency is still regarded so positively.

I mean, he did a lot of extremely important things (both good and bad) outside of the presidency, but his actual presidency didn't include that many notable things.

Pros: Set aside beliefs about constitution to buy a bunch of land, fought pirates, didn't implement many of his extremely stupid ideas about government, fixed stupid flaw in constitution regarding electing vice presidents, Lewis and Clark expedition, ban of slave trade.

Cons: Boycotted trade in a move that was, uhh, not so good for the U.S. economy, eliminated excise taxes.

The actual war against piracy is never mentioned as an important historical event so it's basically a legacy of buying land, extending the ban on the slave trade while being a slaveowner, and Lewis and Clark vs. destroying the U.S. economy for a few years.

Outside of the presidency, he wrote the Declaration of Independence, he helped lead to the Civil War (with Madison's help), he created the argument for states' rights along with Madison, and he was a slave owning rapist and these are all things that are extremely notable about Jefferson. But his presidency itself... Kind of not that interesting on Jefferson's side? Burr and Napoleon were obviously hugely interesting figures in that time, but not Jefferson in particular.

Debirudog

Even as a high school student, I didn't particularly cared for Jefferson. During my AP history class, I argued how he was essentially a hypocrite for saying slavery was wrong but then still owned slaves. And then there's my high school teacher who argued back by saying he "treated" them well.

Correct. A drag queen is not always a transgender woman, although there are some transgender woman who do drag. Drag, at it's core, though, is about challenging the idea of masculine/feminine and the male/female dichotomy. Drag queens have always been at the forefront of the gay rights movement. (Look up Stonewall if you want a better herstory).

In my opinion, this is more about solidarity with the transgender community than anything else. They're not arguing that they're now women or non cis-gender (although they may be, I don't know her story!)

This is not solidarity though. This is playing into the narrative of the right. Not cool.

It's interesting that Jefferson's actual presidency is still regarded so positively.

I mean, he did a lot of extremely important things (both good and bad) outside of the presidency, but his actual presidency didn't include that many notable things.

Pros: Set aside beliefs about constitution to buy a bunch of land, fought pirates, didn't implement many of his extremely stupid ideas about government, fixed stupid flaw in constitution regarding electing vice presidents, Lewis and Clark expedition, ban of slave trade.

Cons: Boycotted trade in a move that was, uhh, not so good for the U.S. economy, eliminated excise taxes.

The actual war against piracy is never mentioned as an important historical event so it's basically a legacy of buying land, extending the ban on the slave trade while being a slaveowner and Lewis and Clark vs. destroying the U.S. economy for a few years.

Outside of the presidency, he wrote the Declaration of Independence, he helped lead to the Civil War (with Madison's help), he created the argument for states' rights along with Madison, and he was a slave owning rapist and these are all things that are extremely notable about Jefferson. But his presidency itself... Kind of not that interesting on Jefferson's side? Burr and Napoleon were obviously hugely interesting figures in that time, but not Jefferson in particular.

The Louisiana Purchase was a big fucking deal in retrospect. Also got rid of the Sedition, naturalization, and Alien Friends acts, which sucked hard.

And when you consider it was 1800 to 1808, he kind of did a lot. It's not like there was overnight travel across the country or you know, telephones. The country was mostly trying to stabalize at the time; there was no need for big flashy things.

Even his mistakes are understandable. He was trying to avoid another war with Europe (or rather being pulled in) after ending the one with the pirates. Was it a mistake in hindsight, sure...but it's not like anyone could have or should have known that it would hurt the economy and the war was inevitable, anyway.

He had a huge part in creating the Library of Congress, too, btw. I visited Montecello as a kid; found it pretty neat.

While we shouldn't gloss over things like slaves and rape, it should also be viewed through the lens of its time.

(I also think his argument in favor of States' rights was fine given the context of the day...both in general and in response to Adams' heavy handed governing. Applying the problems of states' rights today to early 1800s is unfair).

BTW, I say all this as someone who is sick and tired of people always propping up the Founders. It's just, I think it's unfair to characterize Jefferson's Presidency as essentially inconsequential.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
He also helped start the public university system, which otherwise would have left guys like me SOL on higher education.

I wasn't saying that Jefferson's pro states' rights arguments were bad, just that they were notable.

George Washington also did a lot!

Washington: Established that the U.S. federal government could collect taxes, debt plan, national bank, copyright bill, naturalization bill, Jay Treaty.

And John Adams tried to destroy the nation with the Alien and Sedition Acts and appointed John Marshall which were hugely important things too. Jefferson's actual term as president just feels limited compared to his work outside of the presidency. And if his outside work is counted when judging his presidency, should we rank Eisenhower and Carter much higher?

edit: Jefferson's public university stuff is stuff mostly from outside of his presidency though. I'm just referring to his presidency exclusively.

Senate votes down Zika bill, government shutdown imminent
The top Republican and Democratic Senate leaders returned from their seven-week summer recess Tuesday and picked up where they left off in July -- harshly blaming the other's party for inaction on critical bills to battle Zika and fund the government.

In a pair of votes, Democrats blocked taking up GOP bills to pay for a public health response to the virus and to fund the Pentagon next year leaving in doubt Congress' ability to pass either bill.

Each failed to get the 60 votes needed to advance.

If an agreement is not reached, the government could shut down on September 30, just a few weeks before the presidential and congressional elections. However, several congressional Republicans suggested the Zika and government funding issues would be combined and resolved together ahead of the deadline.

"It's hard to explain why -- despite their own calls for funding -- Senate Democrats decided to block a bill that could help keep pregnant women and babies safer from Zika," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on the floor."It's also hard to explain why -- despite the array of terror attacks we've seen across the world -- Senate Democrats decided to block a bill that could help keep the American people safer from threats like ISIL."

The Zika vote came as the mosquito-borne virus, which can also be transmitted sexually, spreads widely in the Puerto Rico and some US states. Democrats blocked the bill because they say it included a provision to prevent funding for Planned Parenthood and no longer included a provision in the House bill banning Confederate flags from veterans' cemeteries.

Syncytia

I really wish there could be a bill that is 100% about Zika and Zika only. The longer it takes for Congress to do anything to more people that are affected and the more it spreads. The more it spreads the more difficult, and more costly, it will be to contain and control it.

I don't know if I could actually manage going into policy for public health. It's usually pretty obvious what needs to be done and it gets held up due to politics.

Piecake

The Louisiana Purchase was a big fucking deal in retrospect. Also got rid of the Sedition, naturalization, and Alien Friends acts, which sucked hard.

And when you consider it was 1800 to 1808, he kind of did a lot. It's not like there was overnight travel across the country or you know, telephones. The country was mostly trying to stabalize at the time; there was no need for big flashy things.

Even his mistakes are understandable. He was trying to avoid another war with Europe (or rather being pulled in) after ending the one with the pirates. Was it a mistake in hindsight, sure...but it's not like anyone could have or should have known that it would hurt the economy and the war was inevitable, anyway.

He had a huge part in creating the Library of Congress, too, btw. I visited Montecello as a kid; found it pretty neat.

While we shouldn't gloss over things like slaves and rape, it should also be viewed through the lens of its time.

(I also think his argument in favor of States' rights was fine given the context of the day...both in general and in response to Adams' heavy handed governing. Applying the problems of states' rights today to early 1800s is unfair).

BTW, I say all this as someone who is sick and tired of people always propping up the Founders. It's just, I think it's unfair to characterize Jefferson's Presidency as essentially inconsequential.

His boycott bill was truly godawful and mind-numbingly stupid, and he enforced that Boycott bill with tyrannical and unconstitutional measures that exceeded Adams' sedition bills.

Also, I personally would not give credit to Jefferson for avoiding a war because Madison's foreign policy was basically an extension of Jefferson's administration. The path to war was set with the Boycott bill and its failures to actually do anything but hurt America.

And Jefferson's state's rights idea was a horrible idea. The idea that states could nullify federal law is not only unconstitutional, but it would have broken up the Union. Even Madison thought it was a shit idea.

The Lousianna Purchase also fell into Jefferson's lap. He didn't have to do a thing. All he had to do was buy it, which was quite obvious.

Why is King George III even in that scene, lol.

The scene is about Alexander Hamilton fucking up his political/presidential ambitions by publishing a pamphlet exposing his own affair. The song is Jefferson and company celebrating that he's "never gonna be president now" and George gets in on the action.

It was the nations first sex scandal.

The scene is about Alexander Hamilton fucking up his political/presidential ambitions by publishing a pamphlet exposing his own affair. The song is Jefferson and company celebrating that he's "never gonna be president now" and George gets in on the action.

It was the nations first sex scandal.

It's also not uncommon for ensemble dance pieces like that to bring out the entire cast just to give people with relatively niche roles more stage time--and to cut down on the number of additional people they need to cast.

thefro

Trump hosted $3000 per person fundraiser for Bondi at Mar-a-Lago after Trump U investigation dropped. Also charged Republican Party peanuts for it compared to what he charged his campaign for events at Mar-a-Lago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-trump-university_us_57cf2c6ce4b0a48094a64854

OG1jytd.png

Huffington Post said:
WASHINGTON ― In March 2014, Donald Trump opened his 126-room Palm Beach resort, Mar-a-Lago, for a $3,000-per-person fundraiser for Pam Bondi. The Florida attorney general, who was facing a tough re-election campaign, had recently decided not to investigate Trump University.

Trump did not write a check to the attorney general that night. The previous fall, his personal foundation had given $25,000 to a pro-Bondi PAC. But by hosting her fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago and bringing in some of his own star power, Trump provided Bondi’s campaign with a nice financial boost.

Since he began his run for the White House, Trump has repeatedly claimed that Bondi is merely someone he has supported politically. But his fundraising efforts for her were extensive and varied: In addition to the $25,000 donation from his foundation and the star-studded Mar-a-Lago event, Trump and his daughter Ivanka each gave $500 to Bondi’s campaign in the fall of 2013. The following spring, Ivanka and her father donated another $125,000 to the Republican Party of Florida ― Bondi’s single biggest source of campaign funds.

All this money created the appearance that Donald Trump was thanking Bondi for halting any further investigation into his failed seminar programs. Trump’s efforts to boost her politically came during and after a period when Bondi was under pressure to pursue allegations that those seminars were defrauding consumers.

The use of Mar-a-Lago alone was a donation of some value. Space at the resort is expensive to rent, and Trump has charged his own presidential campaign roughly $140,000 per event for use of the mansion.

In contrast, the Republican Party of Florida paid only $4,855.65 for the Bondi fundraiser, cutting a check on March 25, 2014.

Huffington Post said:
A former employee of Trump University, who requested anonymity because he has a nondisclosure agreement, said that politics always played a role in how Trump University did business.

“All we had to do is stroke a check to the committee to re-elect [the state attorney general],” the individual said. “And the problems went away.”

Diablos

That gif of her spitting into the cup is never gonna die.

Perhaps frosted cups will work better in case that happens again

WELCOME TO OUR BIG PLANE! AGHH can't get it out of my head!

CNN is gonna give play to the Pam Biondi today it seems. Jeff Zeleny had a report and Chris "both sides" Cuomo also brought it up to Christine Quinn and Corey Lewandowski.

Also where can I get a job like his where I'm *still* getting severance months after being fired? That in itself is sketchy

I don't understand the angst over trumpeting this pay for play scandal. It's more likely that voters will hear that and think "isn't that what the Clintons did too". That doesn't help you. I'm not saying that what Clinton and Trump did are the same things legally, obviously they aren't. But we're talking perception here, in context of voters who don't pay attention and a media who doesn't investigate.

To be frank, it's the same reason the campaign isn't going after Trump's ugly sexual history. It ties back to something I mentioned awhile ago. The campaign/DNC has certain oppo research on Trump that could torpedo the race but fear releasing it would damage Clinton as well. It's a weird position to be in, but that's where we are with voters and the media perception.

Crazy times. Republicans HATED this guy a few years back.
Enemy of my enemy...
Hannity sold his soul to the devil.

I don't understand the angst over trumpeting this pay for play scandal. It's more likely that voters will hear that and think "isn't that what the Clintons did too". That doesn't help you. I'm not saying that what Clinton and Trump did are the same things legally, obviously they aren't. But we're talking perception here, in context of voters who don't pay attention and a media who doesn't investigate.

To be frank, it's the same reason the campaign isn't going after Trump's ugly sexual history. It ties back to something I mentioned awhile ago. The campaign/DNC has certain oppo research on Trump that could torpedo the race but fear releasing it would damage Clinton as well. It's a weird position to be in, but that's where we are with voters and the media perception.

Makes no sense to go dirty when your candidate has such high unfavorables.

Serious consideration.

Trump doesn't consider donations to AGs or things that exceed normal limits to be Pay For Play in nature or at all unethical because he gave money after the thing in his favor was completed.

I think you guys are missing the point. The true story to me at this point is why did the media let this story sit in their lap and refuse to cover it? This is a billion times more obvious than the Clinton stuff, and we have known about this for months. Why did nobody pick up on this? It's definitely news worthy. The voters are going to decide what they want, but to ignore a major story like this raises questions

Diablos

Really hope FL isn't close especially given Pam Bondi's willingness to throw her ethics and regard for the law out the window to help the man who became the GOP nominee

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really hope FL isn't close especially given Pam Bondi's willingness to throw her ethics and regard for the law out the window to help the man who became the GOP nominee

Florida polls have been heavily in Hillary's favor.

thefro

So out of the 30 "missing Benghazi e-mails" the FBI found at State Department, 29 were duplicates and the other one was praising Hillary

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/new-clinton-benghazi-emails-227813

Politico said:
A set of about 30 Benghazi-related messages found by the FBI during their investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email system turns out to contain little fodder for critics or supporters of the Democratic presidential nominee.

A lawyer for the State Department told a federal judge last week that the FBI-provided collection contained up to 30 emails "potentially responsive" to requests for records about the 2012 attack which killed four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens.

The disclosure of a new set Benghazi-related emails led GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump's campaign to attack Clinton over the deletion of roughly 32,000 emails from her private account while a House probe into the attack was active.

However, in a court filing early Wednesday morning, government lawyers said a closer review of the records the FBI located revealed only one of the messages was entirely absent from those produced by previous State Department searches: a flattering note sent by a veteran U.S. diplomat following her testimony on Benghazi before a Senate panel in January 2013.

"I watched with great admiration as she dealt with a tough and personally painful issue in a fair, candid and determined manner," then-U.S. Ambassador to Brazil Thomas Shannon wrote in a message sent to State Chief of Staff Cheryl Mills official account and forwarded on by Mills to Clinton's personal one. "I was especially impressed by her ability to turn aside the obvious efforts to politicize the events in Benghazi, reminding Americans of the tremendous sacrifice made by Chris Stevens and his colleagues but also insisting that our ability to play a positive role in the world and protect U.S. interests requires a willingness to take risks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom