• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Weighing the response to the forum tonight...

While Hillary overall did MUCH better than Trump, we are seeing the result of her dodging the press and the email question, and how it can potentially throw a wrench in what we know about her campaign strategy.

If we're expecting a big, regulatory moment in the first debate...it'll really suck if we spend a significant portion of it talking about Hillary's emails. Hillary had some great answers tonight, but all that's being talked about are the emails. Luckily, Trump fucked up royally, and is being dragged by the press. But every good point of Hillary's tonight is being completely ignored.

Hillary needs to nail down a strong, consistent answer (she had one 2 weeks ago). Then get in front of the press, and talk about it until they're exhausted.

Trump’s Alias “John Baron” Threatened An Author Writing A Book On Him In The 1980s

“It was chilling,” Tuccille told BuzzFeed News. “It was chilling because I assumed that John Baron was a higher-up in his organization and that he was threatening me.”

“I think it was so-called John Baron who said I wouldn’t have a pair of socks left to my name if I went ahead with the book,” Tuccille said.

He continued, “I was spooked enough to go home and put all my assets in my wife’s name at the time, praying that she wouldn’t want to divorce me. I figured it was safer in her hands with Trump’s lawyers coming at me.”

Tuccille said that he was informed by Trump, acting as Baron, that Roy Cohn, the businessman’s longtime ally and the notorious ex-aide to Joseph McCarthy, would be in touch.

“Roy Cohn actually got me on the phone and said, ‘Do you know who I am?’ And I said, ‘Yeah, I know who you are.’ And he said, ‘Do you know what I do for a living?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ ‘I make people get down on their hands and knees and beg for mercy.’ That sent a chill up my spine at the time,” Tuccille said.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkacz...iting-a-book?utm_term=.mhvP5PJe96#.ytg2829ZWg

Wow.

Revolver

Matt Lauer seriously needs to stick to interviewing pet psychics and giving celebrity travel tips. He was turrible. Despite his pathetic attempts to do a hit on her and coddle the buffoon, I thought Hillary rose above it.

royalan

I think the greatest sign of disrespect tonight was that Lauer, upon thanking Trump for his time at the end of his segment, immediately reached to shake his hand.

With Hillary, it wasn't until after he stood up that you see him remembering that he hadn't reached to shake Hillary's.

Yeah, Matt Lauer was a disgrace.

Weighing the response to the forum tonight...

While Hillary overall did MUCH better than Trump, we are seeing the result of her dodging the press and the email question, and how it can potentially throw a wrench in what we know about her campaign strategy.

If we're expecting a big, regulatory moment in the first debate...it'll really suck if we spend a significant portion of it talking about Hillary's emails. Hillary had some great answers tonight, but all that's being talked about are the emails. Luckily, Trump fucked up royally, and is being dragged by the press. But every good point of Hillary's tonight is being completely ignored.

Hillary needs to nail down a strong, consistent answer (she had one 2 weeks ago). Then get in front of the press, and talk about it until they're exhausted.

I'm going to be a little contrary here. I agree with you in part, but I disagree in part. The emails will be brought up during the debates because of course they will be. There is no amount of pressers or gaggles or whatever that is going to change that. I actually think her answer tonight was on point. It was the 8 follows up that became the problem, but not because of her answers. The point is, the media doesn't want an answer from her. Because she's given them one. Repeatedly. Their interest is just in making sure the story is constantly brought up because it's the only thing they have to use to justify that they're not biased when critiquing Trump. The email question will never, ever go away because it is their trump card. It's the one thing they can use to say HILLARY MESSED UP SEE THEY'RE THE SAME WE'RE NOT BIASED WE PROMISE!

Hillary's points are being ignored because, again, Trump is a dumpster fire. I think this is a trade-off the Clinton campaign is fine with. Because, seriously. He said some fucked up shit tonight. In a one-on-one debate, she'll be able to do the push back and respond to this shit, which we know she will do.

So, I get where you're coming from....but I just don't think it's going to matter. There will be an email question at each debate. It's not going anywhere. Just get through it and move on.

No one in California cared, apparently
tumblr_inline_naqj3r5x201qz7j5g.gif

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My god these fucking emails lol. Can't believe the they have turned into whitewater 2....a scandal no one gives a fuck about but will last years.

royalan

I'm going to be a little contrary here. I agree with you in part, but I disagree in part. The emails will be brought up during the debates because of course they will be. There is no amount of pressers or gaggles or whatever that is going to change that. I actually think her answer tonight was on point. It was the 8 follows up that became the problem, but not because of her answers. The point is, the media doesn't want an answer from her. Because she's given them one. Repeatedly. Their interest is just in making sure the story is constantly brought up because it's the only thing they have to use to justify that they're not biased when critiquing Trump. The email question will never, ever go away because it is their trump card. It's the one thing they can use to say HILLARY MESSED UP SEE THEY'RE THE SAME WE'RE NOT BIASED WE PROMISE!

Hillary's points are being ignored because, again, Trump is a dumpster fire. I think this is a trade-off the Clinton campaign is fine with. Because, seriously. He said some fucked up shit tonight. In a one-on-one debate, she'll be able to do the push back and respond to this shit, which we know she will do.

So, I get where you're coming from....but I just don't think it's going to matter. There will be an email question at each debate. It's not going anywhere. Just get through it and move on.

I agree with this. If the goal of the media this election is to go after whoever the bigger fuck-up is at any given moment while tossing out a brief criticism to the other candidate to prove they're not biased, then it's definitely a sign of how well she did tonight that the media is NOT talking about her (or her email answer) while they busy themselves flogging Trump. Like, nobody but Trump's surrogates have said that he did well tonight. This forum was definitely a fuck up for him, and it's good to see him not being coddled.

Still, I'm of the mind that, at this point, Hillary has no more to gain from Trump being a dumpster fire. At some point, she's got to find a way to pivot to her positive message.

I still don't get complaining how Clinton didn't get specific on issues like how to fix the VA when they wasted half her damn time on emails.

Revolver

I think the greatest sign of disrespect tonight was that Lauer, upon thanking Trump for his time at the end of his segment, immediately reached to shake his hand.

With Hillary, it wasn't until after he stood up that you see him remembering that he hadn't reached to shake Hillary's.

Yeah, Matt Lauer was a disgrace.

How he scolded her at the start and interrupted her about 10 times then let Trump ramble and insult at will made my blood boil. He spent a good 10 minutes on emails and the rest of the time cutting her off. Just awful.

I agree with this. If the goal of the media this election is to go after whoever the bigger fuck-up is at any given moment while tossing out a brief criticism to the other candidate to prove they're not biased, then it's definitely a sign of how well she did tonight that the media is NOT talking about her (or her email answer) while they busy themselves flogging Trump. Like, nobody but Trump's surrogates have said that he did well tonight. This forum was definitely a fuck up for him, and it's good to see him not being coddled.

Still, I'm of the mind that, at this point, Hillary has no more to gain from Trump being a dumpster fire. At some point, she's got to find a way to pivot to her positive message.

I'd agree with this, ya. The issue is that her positive message is hard to get out when Trump's being....fucking crazy. Like, you can't make the media talk about it.

I was going to write a post later, but I may just fold it into this one. I think the problem is...the media doesn't know how to cover Trump, because this whole thing is absurd. In a normal year, "Bu-bu-bu-but both sides" actually, you know, has some truth to it. Because, real talk, candidates running for President lie. Not always intentionally, but because there is a microphone under their mouth 24/7 and things come out wrong. So, you know, "Romney called Obama out on saying unemployment is down" and "Obama called Romney out on saying healthcare insurance rates haven't really increased" is fine, because these are on the same level. The media calls these things out as candidates taking jabs at each other, and we're all fine with that.

But with Trump, the media is trying to do this because this is what they do (and it's usually 90% fine). It's just not this time. They have no idea how to cover someone who has no positions on anything, because they've never, ever had to deal with this type of thing before. Now, the answer should be "report the facts," but they have trouble with this because the facts are so god damn one sided. In order to cover themselves from appear too critical of Trump, they take the only thing they have with Hillary (the emails) and run with it 24/7. It's their blanket. It's their get out of jail free card to be being "biased liberal media."

So, how you punch through that, as a campaign, is something I don't really know. I would argue maybe ads focusing on specific policy, but I feel those are less effective. Weekly major policy speeches is one possible thing, but getting the media to stay on top of it and not follow Dumpster Fire Number Seven from Trump is another thing entirely.

Two other things:

NBC supposedly knew Matt was bombing and were trying to get him to fix it. Also, guy who was there said the people in the crowd were pissed by the email questions, because the veterans felt as though NBC was using them to score points on the issue and not actually take veterans' questions seriously.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not being prepared to handle trump is how he cruised through the primaries as well. His opponents couldn't handle it. The media both couldn't and loved it, turning what would have been a circus anyways into a three ring act.

I should point out once they got past the endless email questions and actually got into policy, Clinton was heavily policy focused on didn't attack Trump except for one jab near the end about the Khans where she didn't even mention him by name (which Lauer was huffy about after the fact, but didn't say shit when Trump attacked Clinton in all of his answers, hm, interesting).

Clinton does talk about her own platform and doesn't spend all of her time attacking Trump, it's just that Trump is so fucking nuts and inflammatory that it's all people ever hear about.

I should point out once they got past the endless email questions and actually got into policy, Clinton was heavily policy focused on didn't attack Trump except for one jab near the end about the Khans where she didn't even mention him by name (which Lauer was huffy about after the fact, but didn't say shit when Trump attacked Clinton in all of his answers, hm, interesting).

Clinton does talk about her own ideas and doesn't spend all of her time attacking Trump, it's just that Trump is so fucking nuts and inflammatory that it's all people ever talk about.

I would also point out that the same thing happens at her rallies. She does talk about the ideas that she hashould but the only thing the media covers from them is her attacks on Trump. I mean they are stump speeches and similar but it's disingenuous for people to pretend like Hilary doesn't make an affirmative case for her. The one area where I do see that to be the case is advertising. Her advertising needs a better mix of positivity and attacks

MIMIC

Banned
Watching this "Commander-in-Chief Forum" on MSNBC. Didn't know this was even happening. Hillary obviously has a presidential presence about her when asked open-ended, general questions.

But it's funny how she looses that presence when she gets asked an email question. Super defensive.

Teggy

The New York Times replaced their original article about the forum with a Patrick Healy (extremely anti-Hillary and pro-Trump writer) article that removed mentions of Trump praising Putin and gender segregation.

http://newsdiffs.org/diff/1245445/1...y-clinton-donald-trump-national-security.html

Can someone tell me why Alex Burns very good article got taken down and replaced by Patrick Healy's trash?

http://newsdiffs.org/diff/1245445/1...y-clinton-donald-trump-national-security.html

They just edited again to make it less friendly to Trump, adding in stuff on Putin and a line at the end about the sexual assault tweet.

What on earth is going on over there?

http://newsdiffs.org/diff/1245484/1...y-clinton-donald-trump-national-security.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom