• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying in a rude way. I'm saying you be lovely about the whole thing. No bitchiness, just say you're done and that is your answer. Let the person ask you something else.

She'd still get shit on.

Dodging the question, what's she hiding, etc...

But she's technically still answering it. You just repeat what you said, but add the exasperation to it: "We;ve covered this." Because, like people are sick of the email thing as a story. It's dull and boring and who cares. I guess my point is she's going to get shit on no matter what she answers because they don't want an actual answer. It's not going to hurt her trustworthy numbers anyway.

mo60

This is a real thing Donald Trump tweeted.

Also:

WHAT THE FUCK IS HE TALKING ABOUT?! Polls? "Reviews"? The fuck....
One of the polls is probably a Twitter poll about the event conducted by NBC news that shows him leading right now that was manipulated by trump fans.

what she needs to do is get someone researching exactly how many times an email question has come up and just count up every time she gets asked a new one

actually she doesn't need to do that but i'd find it really fucking hilarious

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hot take:

Bo Burnham is one of the most brilliant comedians of all time. Of. All. Time.

No, but his new Netflix Special is pretty good.
Did not care much for most of his earlier stuff.

No, but his new Netflix Special is pretty good.
Did not care much for most of his earlier stuff.
Hahaha, his older stuff is rougher, but his newer stuff is GOAT.

Best line in a song ever is "So let's rob an Asian kitchen or stroll down the block, either way, girl, we're takin' a wok"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a crazy theory as to why you have shit like that misleading AP headline and the shit with the NYT.

If I recall, a few weeks ago you had news about Russia hacking US news outlets.

Considering all the shit they have done, perhaps Russian hackers got dirt on some news outlets and black mailed them into hurting Hillary?

You don't need to invent wild conspiracy theories. For news media, a presidential election is a major boon to business that rolls around once every 4 years, and it's utterly imperative to their bottom line that they present the race as an exciting and unpredictable event (that lasts as long as humanly possible) that you absolutely need their analysis to get a handle on, regardless of the reality of the campaign.

See also: Barack Obama steamrolling past McCain and Romney with ease, which could be seen plain as day months in advance, in what the media insisted across the board were "dead heats" all the way to November (unless you happened to be watching or listening to conservative media, in which case the Republican candidates were leading right up until election day).

Farmboy

Hot take:

Bo Burnham is one of the most brilliant comedians of all time. Of. All. Time.

Really do like his earlier stuff, but it's more sensible chuckles than lols. Latest special however is amazing, he's finally found a way to make all those puns and meta-jokes seem heartfelt, even kind of profound. With him being so young still, it's exciting to think how much greater he can become.

Armaros

You don't need to invent wild conspiracy theories. For news media, a presidential election is a major boon to business that rolls around once every 4 years, and it's utterly imperative to their bottom line that they present the race as an exciting and unpredictable event (that lasts as long as humanly possible) that you absolutely need their analysis to get a handle on, regardless of the reality of the campaign.

See also: Barack Obama steamrolling past McCain and Romney with ease, which could be seen plain as day months in advance, in what the media insisted across the board were "dead heats" all the way to November (unless you happened to be watching or listening to conservative media, in which case the Republican candidates were leading right up until election day).

Or media organizations launching basically public PR campaigns against poll analysts.

At some point if that's going to be the perception regardless of what you do you may as well lean into it.

I dunno. No matter how tedious it is answering the question means they havebto acknowledge you answered the question whereas ducking it even justifiably means they get to run with she's hiding something, she's clearly up to no good.

What if the media keeps bringing up the emails because there's literally nothing controversial to talk about with respect to Hillary Clinton? She's so perfect that... they have absolutely nothing left at all!

CrzaSIwWcAEhxyf.jpg

Trump is continuing to go down in the USC thing. Sad!

pigeon

Banned
Nah. They just have a vested interest in a "horse race"

No they don't, this is dumb. If the race is close enough to worry about then they'll talk about it. The idea that they want to make the race closer so that they can publicize it is pretty much absurd, Buster-level conspiracy theory.

No they don't, this is dumb. If the race is close enough to worry about then they'll talk about it. The idea that they want to make the race closer so that they can publicize it is pretty much absurd, Buster-level conspiracy theory.

It's not a new idea with all due respect

Ya. No. I mean, like, I don't agree with your take, I guess? I'm not saying "the media" is knowingly trying to be shady and shift the race. But, I think there's a conversation that can be had about how they create a self-serving feedback loop that simultaneously gives them talking points to fill the cycle and (maybe arbitrarily?) makes the race a bit closer.

I don't think this is a uniform thing, in that everyone is always on the same page, and there's some vast media conspiracy. But, I think you have to agree they're more willing to push a story that drives the horse race than doesn't.

MSNBC spent more time talking about the CNN and Fox News poll than they did about their own polling, because it better fit the story they were trying to sell this week. Some of the talking heads made some push back against that, including Chuck Todd's ill advised unskewing, but that's whatever.

Correlation doesn't prove causation blah blah blah, but I think there is anecdotal evidence to suggest the "media" (however we want to define it which is actually important to this conversation!) does have a vested interest in a close race.

Maledict

I don't think anyone who watched the 2012 election walked away without feeling that the media had pushed a narrative that wasn't true for the last three months. It's the best evidence there is that the media is doing something other than factually reporting the race - they add a tone and context that aims to raise viewer numbers and keep them engaged.

The laughable 'it's a dead heat' nonsense in 2012 was the best example of that - every objective fact on the ground said that Obama was a shoe in, and yet even the non/fox media kept pushing the 'dead heat!' Message right until the end.

I don't really think the news media industry having a vested interest in creating newsworthy narratives is that absurd. But then there's also that saying to never attribute to malice what you can to stupidity.

So maybe the failing NYT is just gotten dumber. Maybe they contracted it from being around Trump.

Maledict

I don't really think the news media industry having a vested interest in creating newsworthy narratives is that absurd. But then there's also that saying to never attribute to malice what you can to stupidity.

So maybe the failing NYT is just gotten dumber. Maybe they contracted it from being around Trump.

Yep. I dont think there's a massive, controlled conspiracy where the press decides these things. I think it's the natural failing where commercial pressures exist and the weird take the American press has on being unbiased and not part of the process. Keeping it 1600 has talked a lot about it, but there is a real thing about the press and :

A) they feel the need to be negative of Hilary because they've been so negative on trump otherwise they could like biased
B) they are bored of trump. Stupid man does something stupid isn't news anymore, it just doesn't generate attention anymore.

I have to say, after listening to a media matters cast on American journalism a few months ago I think the fundamental model and assumptions of American press are broken. The notion that the press is nothing more than a pure unbiased filter whose role is to provide a platform for candidates and they're job isn't to push people hard on issues is totally contrary to how the press works here (Jeremy Paxman!).

pigeon

Banned
I don't think anyone who watched the 2012 election walked away without feeling that the media had pushed a narrative that wasn't true for the last three months. It's the best evidence there is that the media is doing something other than factually reporting the race - they add a tone and context that aims to raise viewer numbers and keep them engaged.

The laughable 'it's a dead heat' nonsense in 2012 was the best example of that - every objective fact on the ground said that Obama was a shoe in, and yet even the non/fox media kept pushing the 'dead heat!' Message right until the end.

I think there's a big difference between calling a race closer than it was (and 2012 was closer for all of the last two months than this race has ever been) and making it more likely for Trump to win so that you can write a story about how likely he is to win.

i think there are a lot of problems with that narrative, but one of the clearer ones is that the base assumption is that the media don't care about politics or good journalism, just personal success. Even if we allow this rather facile assumption, Trump is actively dangerous to American citizens AND to the free press! A media that was willing to manipulate stories for personal gain would clearly be trying to destroy Trump since he has literally said he wants to make it illegal to criticize him in the media. So I don't think this imputation holds up particularly well.

Debirudog

The press was born for profit from the very beginning and it was highly partisan. The New York Times was aimed to be more professional and "objective" in order to set a market for itself compared to classless yellow journalism.

For a market sense, I was taught you don't want to piss off/alienate a large audience as much as possible, so in the case of the New York Times, they might just want to lay off Trump just so they don't lose any viewership. I mean, the press largely cares about making revenue first, than about informing people of actual news to be heard.

The press is losing a lot of revenue. Of course they want scandals or tight races as much as possible. No matter how bullshit it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think there's a big difference between calling a race closer than it was (and 2012 was closer for all of the last two months than this race has ever been) and making it more likely for Trump to win so that you can write a story about how likely he is to win.

i think there are a lot of problems with that narrative, but one of the clearer ones is that the base assumption is that the media don't care about politics or good journalism, just personal success. Even if we allow this rather facile assumption, Trump is actively dangerous to American citizens AND to the free press! A media that was willing to manipulate stories for personal gain would clearly be trying to destroy Trump since he has literally said he wants to make it illegal to criticize him in the media. So I don't think this imputation holds up particularly well.

What's the virtue of calling the race closer than it actually is?

I don't really see how people suggesting the media is being soft on Trump and that they want to create the perception of a horse race equates to them wanting to help him win?

BigAl1992

I don't really see how people suggesting the media is being soft on Trump and that they want to create the perception of a horse race equates to them wanting to help him win?

Well considering that there's been hysteria before about every single failed pivot attempt by Trump, even on this very thread, and the fact about how much is really at stake here, it's not much of a surprise people would make that jump to conclusions, even though at best it's more the media want to play it up more as a closer race than it actually is.

I'm guessing Lauer got the gig because they knew Holt was in for the presidential debates. I expect more for $28 million a year. He embarrassed NBC News.

I'm grading Holt on a curve.

He's never been a presidential debate moderator, so it's a LOW BAR.

Yowza, missed this:

Jeffrey Goldberg ‏@JeffreyGoldberg 9h9 hours ago
The KGB, in its wildest dreams, could not have imagined having a candidate like Trump standing for president of the United States.

Diablos

Lester Holt and Chris Wallace both kind of suck for the debates. Need someone from PBS for the third debate or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom