• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh

This isn't the medias fault. It's a fair question imo, there's a video of her fainting after 6 months of health rumors. she needs a perfect answer for this

I agree. This is a big deal. She's a relatively old candidate, she's the first major-party woman candidate, her opponent is running on a lizard-brain dominance message, and she fucking fainted on camera. She can't allow this to define her. She needs a strong response.

Boke1879

Why would it backfire once they actually have something substantial to feed the flames? I don't see Trump, his surrogates or the GOP failing to capitalize on this incident in a grandiose manner. The video of her unable to stand and subsequently fainting looks horrific.

If they go overboard with it. yes. You don't even have to say much. Just mention it in relation to the video.

Crayons

Banned
I agree. This is a big deal. She's a relatively old candidate, she's the first major-party woman candidate, her opponent is running on a lizard-brain dominance message, and she fucking fainted on camera. She can't allow this to define her. She needs a strong response.
Hillary CONFIRMED for LIZARD

Boke1879

And I don't expect her to do any sort of press release on this on 9/11. The timing is terrible, but it's just not a good look to do something like that.

I don't think Trump will even mention it today either. This will get play tomorrow no doubt. Clinton has to do a gaggle or presser tomorrow though.

Boke1879

You all know she *has* addressed it yes?

She told the press she was fine, and they reported that she seemed fine.

Yup. But people want to ignore that. She literally walked out of the apartment 2 hours later fine and posed with a kid.

Even still tomorrow she needs to talk about it because that video will do the rounds.

Hopfrog

Jesus, I have watched the video and it doesn't look great, but some people are acting like she fell over and was coughing up blood on the street.

Yeah that wouldn't be the best choice.

The 6 months of health rumors were started by her shaking her head back and forth as a joke.

The man who started the rumors is a NeoNazi who sells juice supplements and is most famous for stalking Zoe Quinn during GamerGate.
All that is true, but this would be worrisome even if that groundwork hadn't been laid because again 1) she's old, 2) she's not only a woman, but the first woman; 3) this plays into her opponent's lizard-brain dominance message, and 4) it's on fucking video. She has got to put this to bed strongly and right away. It may not be right or fair (I would be Trump's health is worse), but this is a real problem.

PBY

Banned
Yeah even young people faint occasionally. Better not to indulge conspiracy theorists by taking this too seriously.

I really think some of you have blind spots here. Certainly fainting doesn't mean anything necessarily, but how many presidential candidates faint on video? Further, how many of such candidates have faced health rumors, be they from fringe sources or not? She was on Kimmel fucking talking about her health opening pickle jars.

This is a big deal, and she can't handwave it away.

Do you really think Donald Trump will make it through the day without tweeting about this?

Oh, I was talking about normal campaigns, like Hillary Clinton's. You don't do campaign events on September 11th. That's just a general rule.

If Trump's handlers are smart, they've taken all his phones and put them in a locked safe somewhere outside his reach for the next 24 hours.

Hillary dying. This will dominate the news for the next week.

Thanks, Clinton.

EDIT: Also, could we at least stop blaming Hillary for fainting. This wasn't a fuckup on her part, it's just unfortunate.

Do pensioners vote in huge numbers?
Do children who have 1 or 2 parents in a nursing home vote in huge numbers?
Do the spouses/significant others of either of those groups above vote in significant numbers?

If yest to any/all of the above, then it'll backfire.
It seems you're implying that Clinton will garner sympathy due to the amount of Americans dealing with health concerns or the health concerns of elderly relatives. I don't find this argument convincing in any way.

I hate denial and I hate seeing so many people who back the Dem ticket as ardently as I do engage in it. This is going to be a huge story, and it's extremely unfortunate both in timing and in relation to the narrative Trump/the GOP have been constructing over the past month.

Sadly, this.

Holmes

Ok so..... I'm just gonna be happy that she was up 7 in Ohio in the middle of the week.

tumblr_o73p4qITac1ub3fcfo1_400.gif

I really think some of you have blind spots here. Certainly fainting doesn't mean anything necessarily, but how many presidential candidates faint on video? Further, how many of such candidates have faced health rumors, be they from fringe sources or not? She was on Kimmel fucking talking about her health opening pickle jars.

Please tell me how many points this health narrative has cost her so far. I'd love to know.

If it's a serious problem, I haven't seen any sign of it in the numbers or polls.

PBY

Banned
It seems you're implying that Clinton will garner sympathy due to the amount of Americans dealing with health concerns or the health concerns of elderly relatives. I don't find this argument convincing in any way.

I hate denial and I hate seeing so many people who back the Dem ticket as ardently as I do engage in it. This is going to be a huge story, and it's extremely unfortunate both in timing and in relation to the narrative Trump/the GOP have been constructing over the past month.

Sadly, this.

100000%

This is gonna be the story next week.

Please tell me how many points this health narrative has cost her so far. I'd love to know.

If it's a serious problem, I haven't seen any sign of it in the numbers or polls.

Well, it's hard to tell. For the most part it's just been rumormongering from fringe corners and supermarket tabloids. The first real "evidence" on video just got posted only an hour ago.

Key phrase here: "so far". Up until today there was nothing to substantiate the health narrative, so of course it had no impact...but now she's fainting on camera. This will be A Thing and it's going to not be pretty.

PBY

Banned

Maybe Im wrong, I just see this blowing up.
I'm sorry, but PBY is more Diablos and Cartoon Soldier than those two.

I'll never forget your meltdown after Rubio won the DC suburbs. Come on, man, chill.
*dj khaled voice* accreate

Holmes

Oh yeah! Congrats adam!! Whether you get married soon or not, married life is pretty fun! But... not too different from "committed and living together for a few years" life which sounds like what you'll be doing before getting married. So get used to it!

East Lake

Hard for me to see it becoming an issue. Most people understand fainting isn't necessarily a huge deal. Right wing weirdos will go crazy over this but that itself isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Jesus, stop saying this. It's a gross distortion of reality. They're not "health rumors" in the same way people saying 9/11 was an inside job are not "national security rumors."

It's unfortunate that she fainted. It sucks. It would have been a big story even if Alex Jones wasn't pushing straight sewage onto the internet.

People with sense and sensibility are not supposed to accept as true utter bullshit from conspiracy theorists. The right does not and the left does. Repeatedly.

Congrats Adam, I'm happy for you!

On a separate note, this is a worrying event for me. Hopefully it isn't rooted in any actual health problems that have popped up from the long campaign.

Diablos

Yeah, I can't see this going away overnight or even in several days. The Republicans don't even really need to say much because the video speaks for itself, and yes she is fine now but there is no positive way to spin the video of her falling, and it can certainly fuel any lingering concerns some people may have had about her health, however just or unjust that may be.

People will start to try and connect the dots in their heads, i.e. "maybe this is why she didn't campaign much after the convention" because something may have been going on with her health, even if it's not true. It's just a bad look for her and the campaign as we head into the period of time where the election really starts to matter.

2016 really just sucks all around. What a shitty year this has been.

Whether ya'll like it or not, this is gonna be a big story all week. It's not going away by plugging your ears and pretending it's nothing to worry about.

PBY

Banned
Jesus, stop saying this. It's a gross distortion of reality. They're not "health rumors" in the same way people saying 9/11 was an inside job are not "national security rumors."

It's unfortunate that she fainted. It sucks. It would have been a big story even if Alex Jones wasn't pushing straight sewage onto the internet.

People with sense and sensibility are not supposed to accept as true utter bullshit from conspiracy theorists. The right does not and the left does. Repeatedly.

I agree and think that most people understood that these rumors were super fringe, conspiracy nonsense. I still think this, and most people probably do. However, if you're on Kimmel addressing these rumors it means that they're out there in the public conscience in some form of another, credibility aside. Now this.

I agree with your final point, but people with sense and sensibility arent the electorate.

Whether ya'll like it or not, this is gonna be a big story all week. It's not going away by plugging your ears and pretending it's nothing to worry about.

Well, yes, because literally the only thing that will make it fade away is time and nothing else happening. The longer she's fine, the less there is to talk about. Can't hit fast forward on the time machine.

So it's nothing to worry about if nothing else happens to her, which kind of goes without saying.

Are there really people that exist that don't like Trump but will say "well I guess Hillary's health sucks so I won't vote for here" based on a single fainting episode?

These feels more like an alt-right "victory" than something that will a legitimate impact on this election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom