• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So the GOP primaries in 2020, you think they'll make changes?

Because this is just going to keep happening. White supremacists know they own the party now, and there's enough of them spread around that they can pretty much pick the GOP candidate for president.

But the GOP can't just try and cut them out entirely, but embracing other races and working towards fixing themselves because then they'll probably start losing more local elections and stuff.

But there will be candidates in 2020 who double down and assume Trump just wasn't enough of a white supremacist, and that's why he lost. That those candidates will probably do well against Rubio and Cruz 2.0 or whoever decides to throw away their career in 2020.

They'll almost certainly add way more super delegates to try and beat back a Trump, but outside of that it'll probably look a lot like this year.

It's less about making changes as it is having a candidate that consolidates the traditional base before the primaries really start. Hillary kept a large number of Democrats off the field not just by being Hillary, but by lining up party heavyweights behind her very, very early.

As long as they have these huge primary fields with 10+ participants, you're going to have one candidate consolidate the deplorables under him (let's face it it WON'T be a woman) and he'll be in a position of having a base to work from while the other candidates search for theirs.

PBY

Banned
A lot's been said about Trump having a "floor" such that no matter what he says or does, his supporters aren't going to budge and move polls below a certain point. So it stands to reason that Clinton also has a "floor" such that she could cough up a squirrel on live TV and her numbers are going to drop only so much. Therefore this health "scare" may not amount to much at all in terms of actual poll movement.

The fact that Trump has a floor doesn't mean that Clinton does as well in the same sense. She has a "floor" in that there is a bloc of voters that will vote, and will vote D regardless, but she will lose support (guessing to Stein/Johnson, and less so to Trump)

Poeton

Because this is just going to keep happening. White supremacists know they own the party now, and there's enough of them spread around that they can pretty much pick the GOP candidate for president.

But the GOP can't just try and cut them out entirely, but embracing other races and working towards fixing themselves because then they'll probably start losing more local elections and stuff.

But there will be candidates in 2020 who double down and assume Trump just wasn't enough of a white supremacist, and that's why he lost. That those candidates will probably do well against Rubio and Cruz 2.0 or whoever decides to throw away their career in 2020.

I think they should limit the number of Republicans allowed on the primary debate stage to something more reasonable like four.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Nah, GOP establishment / elites just unite under someone in 2019 and do what the Dems did with Clinton, push them as the safest chance of winning and go forth. If recent history is a guide, the GOP will be desperate enough to win that they will pick a moderate republican and the primary voters will be basically told "if you want Hillary gone, then pick XYZ moderate candidate". Happened with Kerry in '04 and Romney in '12. I think the key is to pick off all the potential primary candidates in 2019 with promises if they back the establishment nominee.

Losing 3x in a row has a way of making a party sort of salty and uniting primary voters, oddly enough. If Ryan hadn't lit his career on fire w/r/t Trump, I still think a Ryan / Haley ticket would be pretty hard for Clinton to beat. I think Haley is a good bet for the VP pick (and depending on how the next four years go, even a dark-horse pick for president.

CsQFxkmWYAAahnD.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nah, GOP establishment / elites just unite under someone in 2019 and do what the Dems did with Clinton, push them as the safest chance of winning and go forth. If recent history is a guide, the GOP will be desperate enough to win that they will pick a moderate republican and the primary voters will be basically told "if you want Hillary gone, then pick XYZ moderate candidate". Happened with Kerry in '04 and Romney in '12. I think the key is to pick off all the potential primary candidates in 2019 with promises if they back the establishment nominee.

Losing 3x in a row has a way of making a party sort of salty and uniting primary voters, oddly enough. If Ryan hadn't lit his career on fire w/r/t Trump, I still think a Ryan / Haley ticket would be pretty hard for Clinton to beat. I think Haley is a good bet for the VP pick (and depending on how the next four years go, even a dark-horse pick for president.

This implies the GOP electorate learns it's lesson with Trump. The last two losses have been explained, by the electorate, as because they didn't pick someone conservative enough. So this time they went with Trump. If the party can't make the electorate take it's medicine, which I'm not sure they can, then we'll just wind up right back here again.

tuffy

The fact that Trump has a floor doesn't mean that Clinton does as well in the same sense. She has a "floor" in that there is a bloc of voters that will vote, and will vote D regardless, but she will lose support (guessing to Stein/Johnson, and less so to Trump)
Yeah, that's sort of what I'm getting at. There's some bloc of voters that will automatically vote D, there's some inelastic bloc that just isn't going to budge from Clinton at this stage no matter what, so just how big is that bloc that might shift based on current events? Just where is that "floor"? If polls don't shift around a lot based on last weekend's events like they didn't in VA, I thought it might be pretty high.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Goddamn I enjoy watching this man speak. He's really the best asset Hillary has. He's the upbeat, confident alternative to all the depressing rhetoric flying back and forth in all this.

Oh shit Obama bringing his Church Preacher tone. This is gonna have me singing hallelujah by the end and I'm not a christian.

Good to see Trump shortboxed lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom