• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll say it again, I wish we could just keep Obama around. He's been a great president, all things considered, and is the best campaigner alive. Even the handful of not-overtly-racist conservatives I know think he's a good/moral person who genuinely wants to help people. These are people who voted McCain/Romney but refuse to vote Clinton and don't like Trump, who've said they'd seriously consider Obama this year. He'd be murdering Trump in the race right now if he was running.

Damn straight. Obama vs Trump is the election we never got to see.

I completely agree with this assessment, and it's terrifying. If Hillary is looking like a really weak/vulnerable incumbent come 2020, like I suspect, I hope she seriously considers not running for re-election, and lets a more popular rising star run. If we lose big in 2020, that'll be another decade of a republican controlled house. Of course best case scenario is that she proves to be a good and popular president who easily wins in a landslide against Ted Cruz lol.

It'll also depend on finding someone who hasn't been tainted by Trump. Ryan would have been a good choice if he hadn't kissed the ring so publicly, had he pulled a Cruz he definitely would have set himself up for that role.

So it's not only how Clinton does, it's what the GOP bench will look like. If it's another shit show like this year...

Also, did pigeon get clipped in that pepe thread? I hope the ban isn't too long, as he's usually one of my favorite poliGAFers. But I could definitely tell the election had been getting to him the last couple months and he could probably use a break. His posts are usually very cool, collected, and informative but lately he's been coming across as dismissive, bitter, and venomous to a degree I've never really seen from him.

Yea he got clipped in the pepe thread, he says it's 2 weeks. He might miss the debate.

Cruz and Kasich are both "not tainted by Trump"

Cruz is in no way a moderate looking dude who could appeal to moderates, which is what they'd need. He only looked moderate next to the fascist. And Kasich will be pushing 70 next cycle, if he had generated any excitement I could see him trying again but he only won his home state.

I warned you guys not to engage with Trump supporters in OT. Unless you want to talk things calmly which none of us is willing to do, theres not point in calling Trump supporters bigots or they support bigotry even if its factual.

If it's true, there is at least the value in making them uncomfortable.

There's a reason they don't want to hear such accusation, it's because they don't like it.

Similar to what I said before, when someone was telling me not to argue with 9/11 'Truthers' that are Jill Stein supporters because Jill Stein supporters have been through enough or dealt with enough or whatever.

If you're a racist, you haven't been confronted about it enough, because you're still a racist.

Also, did pigeon get clipped in that pepe thread? I hope the ban isn't too long, as he's usually one of my favorite poliGAFers. But I could definitely tell the election had been getting to him the last couple months and he could probably use a break. His posts are usually very cool, collected, and informative but lately he's been coming across as dismissive, bitter, and venomous to a degree I've never really seen from him.

I assume. I'm down with calling Trump supporters what they are, but in pigeon's case some concern troll Busters got caught in the crossfire. People on the left concern trolling over Hillary's health are annoying, but I certainly wouldn't call them white nationalists.

Why in god's name is Kellyanne Conway allowed on TV if it is not a broadcast of her in front of a firing squad. I am now stupider from watching her interview from today. Fucking hell.

If it's true, there is at least the value in making them uncomfortable.

There's a reason they don't want to hear such accusation, it's because they don't like it.

Similar to what I said before, when someone was telling me not to argue with 9/11 'Truthers' that are Jill Stein supporters because Jill Stein supporters have been through enough or dealt with enough or whatever.

If you're a racist, you haven't been confronted about it enough, because you're still a racist.
Right, all of this is true. Dont mean to be a backseat mod but our emperor wants us to engage in "constructive" discussions. If you call thrm bigots, they will not go "gee willikers, I'm a bigot! I sre the error of my ways now". No, they will bunker down and post super predator stuff and shit goes nowhere. We seen this song and dance before.

Atlagev

I think he feels a bit betrayed by the country.

Look at how things were back in 2010?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/08/obama.russia.treaty/

Michael McFaul (https://twitter.com/McFaul), the former American ambassador to Russia, has talked about this in great detail. Despite what the right wants you to think, the "Reset" with Russia wasn't a failure--in fact, quite the opposite. The thing is, they were dealing with Medvedev at the time, not Putin. They were able to achieve a lot of great things together, one of them being the START treaty.

He says once Putin came back into power, it was obvious he wasn't interested in cooperating with the US anymore in the same way.

Lol guy on MSNBC said it's ok for Trump campaign to attack Clinton on transparency and didn't once bring up Trump's transparency.

You guys didn't even listen to Obama, did you?

Anyone have a summary of the Obama media criticism? At work.

Essentially repeated Samantha Bee's criticism in nicer terms. The media is pretending like the two candidates are equivalent when it's not true, and he says the media has given up trying to correct trump because he spouts so much crap everyday. I'm pretty sure that wasn't originally intended to be said either, but he seemed pretty disturbed by it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Essentially repeated Samantha Bee's criticism in nicer terms. The media is pretending like the two candidates are equivalent when it's not true, and he says the media has given up trying to correct trump because he spouts so much crap everyday.

He ain't wrong

Right, all of this is true. Dont mean to be a backseat mod but our emperor wants us to engage in "constructive" discussions. If you call thrm bigots, they will not go "gee willikers, I'm a bigot! I sre the error of my ways now". No, they will bunker down and post super predator stuff and shit goes nowhere. We seen this song and dance before.

Spare me the condescension. I know calling racism 'racism' isn't going to make it go away anymore than calling ISIL 'Daesh' will make them go away.

But I'm not going to be complicit in letting racists feel comfortable in their racism. I'm also not going to stoop to insults about it, but I'm not going to dress it up in fancy language.

Other people can reach out and attempt to reason, or educate, or whatever. And they do, and I am glad they do... but I don't give two shits if a racist person hates being called racist. If it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Letting them just go on without ever having it confronted sure as shit isn't going to improve anything.

A social climate that discourages certain behaviors and clearly paints them as wrong, anti social, and bad, has an effect. There's a reason people didn't feel as comfortable being outwardly racist as they do currently, now that Trump has empowered them to share that shit openly. Did it stop them being racists? No. But it stopped them acting as racist as they do right now. If my neighbor is a racist asshole, but keep his opinions to himself, well guess what, that makes life better for the minorities that live on my street that aren't getting obscenities shouted at them.

Call a racist a racist. You don't have to call them subhuman, or fucking stupid, or some other clear insult that'll get you banned. Just call them what they are. They don't want to be defined like that.

They made that bed. I can't drag them out of it, but I can sure as shit make it harder for them to get a good nights sleep.

Spare me the condescension. I know calling racism 'racism' isn't going to make it go away anymore than calling ISIL 'Daesh' will make them go away.

But I'm not going to be complicit in letting racists feel comfortable in their racism. I'm also not going to stoop to insults about it, but I'm not going to dress it up in fancy language.

Other people can reach out and attempt to reason, or educate, or whatever. And they do, and I am glad they do... but I don't give two shits if a racist person hates being called racist. If it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Letting them just go on without ever having it confronted sure as shit isn't going to improve anything.

A social climate that discourages certain behaviors and clearly paints them as wrong, anti social, and bad, has an effect. There's a reason people didn't feel as comfortable being outwardly racist as they do currently, now that Trump has empowered them to share that shit openly.

Call a racist a racist. You don't have to call them subhuman, or fucking stupid, or some other clear insult that'll get you banned. Just call them what they are. They don't want to be defined like that.

They made that bed. I can't drag them out of it, but I can sure as shit make it harder for them to get a good nights sleep.

God damn, this is a line I'll be using for the rest of my life.

::BOW::

CsPycwMW8AEnxlw.jpg

David Duke's face is just fucking weird. He has the "I've made Horcruxes" look I guess?

KingK

Damn straight. Obama vs Trump is the election we never got to see.

It'll also depend on finding someone who hasn't been tainted by Trump. Ryan would have been a good choice if he hadn't kissed the ring so publicly, had he pulled a Cruz he definitely would have set himself up for that role.

So it's not only how Clinton does, it's what the GOP bench will look like. If it's another shit show like this year...

Cruz is in no way a moderate looking dude who could appeal to moderates, which is what they'd need. He only looked moderate next to the fascist. And Kasich will be pushing 70 next cycle, if he had generated any excitement I could see him trying again but he only won his home state.
Yeah, you make a good point about Ryan. Plus there's plenty of opportunities for political suicide that are sure to arise with 4 years spent as Speaker under president Clinton. And I agree about Cruz, that's why I think Hillary wouldn't really have a problem if he's the nominee. But the GOP has a deep bench of governors like Haley, Martinez, Sandoval, Kasich, etc. who would be seriously dangerous opponents if they can survive a primary. And after this year's shit show the party is going to control as much of the primary as possible.

But that's probably enough 2020 talk. I need to stop letting myself speculate that far into the future lol. After all, there's plenty to worry about right now! Like if Hillary's body double is dedicated enough to cut off her own fingers, if necessary, to keep up the illusion. We can't let that egomaniac Angier Trump win!

I'll say it again, I wish we could just keep Obama around. He's been a great president, all things considered, and is the best campaigner alive. Even the handful of not-overtly-racist conservatives I know think he's a good/moral person who genuinely wants to help people. These are people who voted McCain/Romney but refuse to vote Clinton and don't like Trump, who've said they'd seriously consider Obama this year. He'd be murdering Trump in the race right now if he was running.

I completely agree with this assessment, and it's terrifying. If Hillary is looking like a really weak/vulnerable incumbent come 2020, like I suspect, I hope she seriously considers not running for re-election, and lets a more popular rising star run. If we lose big in 2020, that'll be another decade of a republican controlled house. Of course best case scenario is that she proves to be a good and popular president who easily wins in a landslide against Ted Cruz lol.

If Hillary wins this year I think it's almost a guarantee she loses come 2020. They just need to put a moderate against her and they're good.

Trump is definitely not leading clinton by 13 in that state. More like 5 or 6 points and maybe less than that still.

Yeah, I noticed it's a R poll, but in the end it'll be close to Obama 12+NC.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to pour resources into SC.

If Hillary wins this year I think it's almost a guarantee she loses come 2020. They just need to put a moderate against her and they're good.

Only 2% of Republican primary voters thought that Kasich had the best chance of winning the election.

Republicans and Democrats don't talk to each other anymore and have no idea what appeals to the other.

shem935

Banned

The crazy isn't going away and the waters are too muddied now to get an accurate view of what 2020 looks like. If anything they could go harder right.

Essentially repeated Samantha Bee's criticism in nicer terms. The media is pretending like the two candidates are equivalent when it's not true, and he says the media has given up trying to correct trump because he spouts so much crap everyday. I'm pretty sure that wasn't originally intended to be said either, but he seemed pretty disturbed by it.

Thank you. Glad he went in.

CsPycwMW8AEnxlw.jpg

David Duke's face is just fucking weird. He has the "I've made Horcruxes" look I guess?

The dude next to him has an odd choice in hair styles as well.

Where is this and who is this moderate republican you speak of?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It'll depend entirely on who they can get and how much damage they need to inflict upon themselves during the primary to get the nomination. I'm not entirely sold on the idea the GOP electorate will go back to picking a Romney-type without a huge fight next cycle though.

thefro

The problem is if the country is supposedly awful/horrible then Governors/Senators can't take credit for it.

Hence you get the voters wanting non-politicians like Trump.

Debirudog

Yeah, Kasich would have been hard to fight but if he can't survive the primary, it's difficult to estimate what's gonna happen. Saying you're cool on gay marriage is practically a death sentence for any GOP candidate.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Either way they'll need to find someone who hasn't been tainted by Trump if that's going to have a shot of working and if team Clinton is doing their jobs that's going to be next to impossible unless someone comes out of nowhere.

Ha! Just the image of that makes my day. I am really going to miss Obama when he's gone, we really lucked out with him. So happy the first vote I was able to take was for him.

Off the top of my head
2016 nominees who could come back in 2020 without the Trump stink

Jeb! - mostly because he's seen as the victim of Trump. I think Trump might have permanently ended his political aspirations though

Kasich - Didn't ever endorse Trump, would be seen in a very good light by moderates potentially. Might be too old.

Cruz - See Kasich minus the moderates part. I think he ends up being 2012 Santorum though, and the GOP establishment hates him only slightly less than Trump.

Rubio - Think Christie more or less ended his political career outside of US Senate. Thanks Christie!

Potential Up and Comers / Retreads

Nikki Haley - Asian-American GOP governor of SC, fought with Trump during the initial parts of the primary. Married to a soldier, brother served in Desert Storm. Takes away some of the demographic arguments against the GOP and could come across as the anti-Trump. Ordered the Confederate flag taken down and refuses to support the anti-transgender NC law. Daughter of immigrants and extremely hard to hit on immigration because of that. #1 fear here.

Mitt Romney - basically, runs as generic R and hopes that Clinton's unfavorability sinks her.

Paul Ryan - could be a dangerous candidate if he could erase everything that happened from the start of the GOP primary till the end of the general election. Maybe voters will forget in four years? But has said in interviews that he has no desire to run for president in 2020, quipping that if he had them, he wouldn't have taken the Speaker of the House job.

Ben Sasse - unknown, primarily known for repudiation of Trump from the beginning and anti-ACA. If Trump fizzles and ACA starts to struggle, could be a tempting candidate.

No way Clinton wouldn't run for re-election barring exogenous shock. I don't know what popular rising star we have though, to be honest, who would be ready for a presidential run.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Off the top of my head

Jeb! - mostly because he's seen as the victim of Trump. I think Trump might have permanently ended his political aspirations though

Kasich - Didn't ever endorse Trump, would be seen in a very good light by moderates potentially. Might be too old.

Cruz - See Kasich minus the moderates part. I think he ends up being 2012 Santorum though, and the GOP establishment hates him only slightly less than Trump.

Rubio - Think Christie more or less ended his political career outside of US Senate. Thanks Christie!

Nikki Haley - Asian-American GOP governor of SC, fought with Trump during the initial parts of the primary. Married to a soldier, brother served in Desert Storm. Takes away some of the demographic arguments against the GOP and could come across as the anti-Trump. Ordered the Confederate flag taken down and refuses to support the anti-transgender NC law. Daughter of immigrants and extremely hard to hit on immigration because of that. #1 fear here.

Mitt Romney - basically, runs as generic R and hopes that Clinton's unfavorability sinks her.

Paul Ryan - could be a dangerous candidate if he could erase everything that happened from the start of the GOP primary till the end of the general election. Maybe voters will forget in four years? But has said in interviews that he has no desire to run for president in 2020, quipping that if he had them, he wouldn't have taken the Speaker of the House job.

Ben Sasse - unknown, primarily known for repudiation of Trump from the beginning and anti-ACA. If Trump fizzles and ACA starts to struggle, could be a tempting candidate.

Of that list, I'd be most worried about Haley right now. Jeb and Rubio got ended by Trump and Christie, Kasich was this cycle's Huntsman and didn't make enough of a splash to justify trying again in four years (I think he thinks he's done), and Cruz is Cruz.

Off the top of my head

No way Clinton wouldn't run for re-election barring exogenous shock. I don't know what popular rising star we have though, to be honest, who would be ready for a presidential run.

Jeb! lol. The Bush name is D-E-A-D

As things stand today, I think Nikki Haley is their best shot. But 4 years is a long time from now, Tell someone 4 years ago the GOP would nominate Donald Fucking Trump and see the reaction.

I also don't really understand why Clinton's unfavorables now are being seen as a given come 2020. All the people who are favorable of Obama but not Clinton she has a great chance of winning over on the job, and I don't see why they'd suddenly flip back during the election cycle.

There's nothing guaranteed about her favorable in 2020. And there is zero guarantee that the GOP can get a moderate candidate. How far to the center do we expect the GOP electorate to move under President Clinton? She's like the anti Christ to them. They'll be running right just as they did with Obama in office.

If she puts forwards a centrist idea, they're not going to follow suit.

thefro

Sadly this probably disqualifies her from winning the GOP primary

bpO4WH3.jpg

Trump supporter: "look at Haley in her hijab paling around with Muslim Terrorists! secret Muslim!"

(her parents are Indian Sikh)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jeb! lol. The Bush name is D-E-A-D

As things stand today, I think Nikki Haley is their best shot. But 4 years is a long time from now, Tell someone 4 years ago the GOP would nominate Donald Fucking Trump and see the reaction.

Four years ago the thought of Huntsman coming back haunted my dreams. Part of the issue the GOP is having is that they've turned their primary into a group book tour for any yahoo with any kind of profile. So long as they don't fix that issue whoever comes out of the primary will be bloody and further right than they wanted to be coming out of it. Had Romney not had to fight his way through the moron brigade he could very well have pulled out the win (or at least made it way closer).

Sadly this probably disqualifies her from winning the GOP primary

bpO4WH3.jpg

Trump supporter: "look at Haley in her hijab paling around with Muslim Terrorists! secret Muslim!"

(her parents are Indian Sikh)

Well, so much for that.

Even if discover one or two who might be groomed for the role (a long shot for sure), there's still a good chance we lose them to Midterm elections. It's a little hard to build up a bench when your side doesn't show up for half the elections, something I wish was acknowledged by the folks loudly complaining about old politicians and the need for new blood.

lol there's no way Nikki Haley will make it through the primary. She would be a good VP choice for someone like Kasich though when he inevitably loses his temper and yells at some women. Let's be real, there are few people who could make it out of a republican primary and win unless the race narrows to 2-3 people very quickly

I think Paul Ryan could get through the primary, but he might be sunk if he actually passes some bills with Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom