• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
lol there's no way Nikki Haley will make it through the primary. She would be a good VP choice for someone like Kasich though when he inevitably loses his temper and yells at some women

If half the stories that circulated about him this cycle are true the GOP could have had a Lazzio situation on their hands had he won.

Haley would still be their best bet though.

Valhelm

contribute something
CsPycwMW8AEnxlw.jpg

David Duke's face is just fucking weird. He has the "I've made Horcruxes" look I guess?

Legitimately surprised to see a normal-looking teenage girl at a Klan rally

Would people go on his show if he were alive today? Would he have been fired for being "too confrontational"?

I'm not sure. I want to say that Tim Russert was unique and so when he died we just lost that, but there are tons of journalists itching to grill politicians today. So I think, sadly, there must be structural incentives to sideline people like that into opinion programs or panels. Whenever Fareed gets someone on, he's usually pretty tough, but sadly he doesn't do a lot of interviews. Maybe Charlie Rose asks tough questions but he's not nearly as popular as MTP.

Ahh Tim Russert. He was the best. Viewership of MtP had to nosedive after he left. I know I stopped watching and David Gregory isn't even close to the same.
Same. To this day my dad still thinks they killed Tim Russert because he was "problematic".

Just asking questions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not sure. I want to say that Tim Russert was unique and so when he died we just lost that, but there are tons of journalists itching to grill politicians today. So I think, sadly, there must be structural incentives to sideline people like that into opinion programs or panels. Whenever Fareed gets someone on, he's usually pretty tough, but sadly he doesn't do a lot of interviews. Maybe Charlie Rose asks tough questions but he's not nearly as popular as MTP.

Same. To this day my dad still thinks they killed Tim Russert because he was "problematic".

Just asking questions.

They've actually got an entire corner dedicated to Russert at the journalism museum in DC, they reproduced his set and everything. Dude was a legend in the industry.

Nah, GOP establishment / elites just unite under someone in 2019 and do what the Dems did with Clinton, push them as the safest chance of winning and go forth. If recent history is a guide, the GOP will be desperate enough to win that they will pick a moderate republican and the primary voters will be basically told "if you want Hillary gone, then pick XYZ moderate candidate". Happened with Kerry in '04 and Romney in '12. I think the key is to pick off all the potential primary candidates in 2019 with promises if they back the establishment nominee.

Losing 3x in a row has a way of making a party sort of salty and uniting primary voters, oddly enough. If Ryan hadn't lit his career on fire w/r/t Trump, I still think a Ryan / Haley ticket would be pretty hard for Clinton to beat. I think Haley is a good bet for the VP pick (and depending on how the next four years go, even a dark-horse pick for president.

While I agree this makes the most sense, the problem is that the GOP establishment has lost control of the party on the base level. Right now the GOP primaries are set up in such a way that southern states have huge impact on the early stages of the process. If a fringe candidate can survive past NH, he or she can overcome the establishment candidate throughout the south. Trump voters aren't going anywhere, nor is anti-immigration sentiment. I can't see Kasich channeling into that, whereas a Ted Cruz...Tom Cotton...or even Trump again will do it easily.

Jeb Bush had the money and connections to win the nomination under normal circumstances. His machine was so powerful he effortlessly boxed out Romney's team, forcing him not to declare for the race. And yet Bush lost, bad. Sure Jeb isn't as talented as his brother but his brand was rejected, not just him as a candidate. Kasich and other "moderates" will face the same problem.

Another thing to consider is the Clinton WH. Assuming Clinton is faced with divided government it's very unlikely she'll accomplish any of her liberal agenda points. Instead she'll be forced to triangulate with republicans early. This type of compromise will further incite the right. At some point in her presidency I'd also expect Clinton to begin issuing major executive orders, most of which will stick unlike Obama's thanks to a reshaped Supreme Court. This will be one of the few ways she can fire up the base, and this will further incite the right. Long story short, I'd expect republicans to do well in 2018 midterms and once again be spiraling down the far right extremism drain.

I think Clinton will be very vulnerable in 2020 and would likely lose under normal circumstances, assuming the economy continues to just get by+Obamacare falters as republicans dither. But nominating a Ted Cruz type could once again provide a boon to democrats. If I was a republican operative I'd be looking around for someone who can appeal to the ugliest facets of the far right while also satisfying the establishment. Scott Walker types. If republicans can't nominate someone impressive like Kasich, their next bet is to nominate someone like Walker (not Walker himself, but someone in that mold). And if they shit the bed again they'll get a Trump/Cruz/etc type.

No way Paul Ryan could make it through a primary. He'll be just as hated by the far right as Boehner was by the time 4 years of Clinton passes by. He'll have to pass budgets, and he'll have to navigate defaulting on our debt and probably more government shutdowns.

The GOP's problem is their base that votes in the primaries. The base is fueled by talk radio and fox news. Imagine if Trump loses and creates his own news network that's even further to the right than Fox.

User1608

Banned
I do think Nikki Haley will be a threat but only if ahe makes it through the primary in 2020. Unfortunately going by that picture of her...racists will ensure she doesn't.:/

David Duke's face is just fucking weird. He has the "I've made Horcruxes" look I guess?
Look at all those deplorable racists.

Scott Walker is only still around because he's never faced a competent challenger. Everyone fights their way up, but with Walker he certainly didn't have to fight very hard.

I still think Republicans will at least try to find a Dukakis-type figure to be a fresh face. I don't really know who it could be, maybe Sandoval, but I think after losing 5/7 of the last elections that the voters will ask themselves why they aren't winning and look for some sort of way to win.

I mean, they tried to do that this time! And they had a bunch of seemingly more palatable candidates who at least tried to not be tea partiers! And then they gave all their money to Bush before he exploded and no one wanted to go murder-suicide on Trump like Gephardt (I think) did to Dean in 2004, because they were all waiting for someone else to do it. I'm not convinced that Trump's base is that invincible in the primaries or that they'll stick with Trump-like candidates after he loses, especially if it's embarrassing.

I think cutting through the GOP's bench was good and bad for Democrats, since it paves the way for a less contested field for someone like Sandoval next time. 2012 had a weakass primary roster because everyone who mattered other than Romney were waiting for this year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Scott Walker is only still around because he's never faced a competent challenger. Everyone fights their way up, but with Walker he certainly didn't have to fight very hard.

Enough money can prop a candidate up at the state level, especially against weak competition, but the but it will only take you so far on the national stage--as shown by Jeb!.

Zukkoyaki

Can you imagine if Twitter had the guts to ban neo-nazi accounts, hate groups and accounts like WikiLeaks? Take away their voice and they'd have nothing; suffocate them.

Charlie Baker would probably be a better candidate as a Republican MA governor than Mitt Romney. He's been in office two years and people still seem to like the guy. Honestly, I don't know why.

benjipwns

Banned
Can you imagine if Twitter had the guts to ban neo-nazi accounts, hate groups and accounts like WikiLeaks? Take away their voice and they'd have nothing; suffocate them.
Yeah, can you imagine if they would ban someone like Milo. He'd never be seen in public again.

Charlie Baker would probably be a better candidate as a Republican MA governor than Mitt Romney. He's been in office two years and people still seem to like the guy. Honestly, I don't know why.

Probably because Baker doesn't try to die on the social conservative hill.

In terms of GOP Governors, he's basically the anti-LePage

benjipwns

Banned
It would be nice if Assange was transparent enough to answer police questions regarding his alleged sexual assaults.
Okay, done:
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange will be questioned in the Ecuadorian embassy in London next month over rape allegations, the Ecuadorian prosecutor's office said.

Swedish prosecutors issued an arrest warrant for Assange in August 2010 based on allegations of sexual assault by two female Wikileaks volunteers in the country and have for years sought his extradition. Ecuador said last month it would allow an interrogation of Assange.

The announcement comes a week after Sweden renewed its calls for Ecuador to go ahead with the interrogation. Sweden and Ecuador had signed an agreement for cooperation and mutual legal assistance on criminal matters.

According to a statement released Monday evening, Ecuadorian prosecutor Wilson Toainga Toainga will lead the interrogation October 17, based on questions sent by Swedish authorities, and DNA samples may be taken from Assange.

Ecuadorian authorities will allow two Swedish officials to be present during the interrogation, the statement said.

BiggNife

If Hillary wins this year I think it's almost a guarantee she loses come 2020. They just need to put a moderate against her and they're good.

There are no guarantees about 2020. None.

In 2012 people thought Jeb and Rubio were the most likely candidates and Trump was a punchline.

Just asking questions.

well, "some people say" he was problematic. I should look into it.

studyguy

Stomping out the big biggots on Twitter would likely be impossible, but I'd like to at least see a marked effort. Same for Reddit who still stands behind the idea that somehow racist speech is meaningful to discussions. It's incredibly obvious that the more likely scenario is they're just afraid of their own awful userbase taking a heaping shit on them.

benjipwns

Banned
Aw man, that happened this morning? First time I try to burn Assange and I end up with an egg on my face.

Though to be fair, it doesn't sound like he has much of a choice here. He's had years to be transparent on this matter if he wanted to.
No, no, use your jinx powers to get us all rich or something.

Joeytj

Banned
Well, so far, slow news day, with just more Hillary health shit, Obama attacking and some Trump stuff.

None of the major networks are focusing on one single thing. CNN is hitting Trump Foundation stuff, some others Obama's remarks.

Kind of seems Clinton, for better or worse, has taken hold of the narrative in the last week, even today while she's recuperating.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
While I agree this makes the most sense, the problem is that the GOP establishment has lost control of the party on the base level. Right now the GOP primaries are set up in such a way that southern states have huge impact on the early stages of the process. If a fringe candidate can survive past NH, he or she can overcome the establishment candidate throughout the south. Trump voters aren't going anywhere, nor is anti-immigration sentiment. I can't see Kasich channeling into that, whereas a Ted Cruz...Tom Cotton...or even Trump again will do it easily.

Jeb Bush had the money and connections to win the nomination under normal circumstances. His machine was so powerful he effortlessly boxed out Romney's team, forcing him not to declare for the race. And yet Bush lost, bad. Sure Jeb isn't as talented as his brother but his brand was rejected, not just him as a candidate. Kasich and other "moderates" will face the same problem.

Another thing to consider is the Clinton WH. Assuming Clinton is faced with divided government it's very unlikely she'll accomplish any of her liberal agenda points. Instead she'll be forced to triangulate with republicans early. This type of compromise will further incite the right. At some point in her presidency I'd also expect Clinton to begin issuing major executive orders, most of which will stick unlike Obama's thanks to a reshaped Supreme Court. This will be one of the few ways she can fire up the base, and this will further incite the right. Long story short, I'd expect republicans to do well in 2018 midterms and once again be spiraling down the far right extremism drain.

I think Clinton will be very vulnerable in 2020 and would likely lose under normal circumstances, assuming the economy continues to just get by+Obamacare falters as republicans dither. But nominating a Ted Cruz type could once again provide a boon to democrats. If I was a republican operative I'd be looking around for someone who can appeal to the ugliest facets of the far right while also satisfying the establishment. Scott Walker types. If republicans can't nominate someone impressive like Kasich, their next bet is to nominate someone like Walker (not Walker himself, but someone in that mold). And if they shit the bed again they'll get a Trump/Cruz/etc type.

Hrm; I guess I wasn't sure that the GOP establishment had lost control of their party on the base level or they had just let Trump loose in hopes of taking out Cruz, and then Trump got away from them all. I think that's the part that folks don't quite see - that the failure of Jeb! is as much on the RNC / party elites as it is on Jeb. The reason Clinton only had one ornery old white dude as her challenger is (I'm assuming) that the Dem party had already talked to everyone else who might run and negotiated with them. That's what the GOP leadership needs to do in 2019; start cutting deals with Cruz / etc to have them not run and instead support ye olde moderate candidate.

Though I guess I'm still thinking of the 2000s era GOP party that was good at this stuff, and maybe not the more modern GOP. I just figure they will do what the Dems did in 2004 / GOP in 2012 where they went for a moderate because they just cared about winning, and no longer cared about the purity of the candidate. But maybe a lot more has changed permanently in those 4 years.

Hrm; I guess I wasn't sure that the GOP establishment had lost control of their party on the base level or they had just let Trump loose in hopes of taking out Cruz, and then Trump got away from them all. I think that's the part that folks don't quite see - that the failure of Jeb! is as much on the RNC / party elites as it is on Jeb. The reason Clinton only had one ornery old white dude as her challenger is (I'm assuming) that the Dem party had already talked to everyone else who might run and negotiated with them. That's what the GOP leadership needs to do in 2019; start cutting deals with Cruz / etc to have them not run and instead support ye olde moderate candidate.

Though I guess I'm still thinking of the 2000s era GOP party that was good at this stuff, and maybe not the more modern GOP. I just figure they will do what the Dems did in 2004 / GOP in 2012 where they went for a moderate because they just cared about winning, and no longer cared about the purity of the candidate. But maybe a lot more has changed permanently in those 4 years.
The party barely succeeded in 2012. Every month was a "not romney" candidate.

It's just that those candidates were either super religious or really just peddling a book (Newt) that it didn't work because they couldn't align behind one (but remember in 2012 it also had a fairly large lineup to start).

The GOP has no control over the base right now. Trump gave them someone to unify behind and create a plurality. That wasn't an option in 2012 but it was clear then they had no control.

The GOP, operationally at the Presidential Election level, is a gigantic mess and has been since 2011.

Julian Assange is the shittiest kind of leftist imaginable

He's not a leftist (and neither are a lot of people who we typically call leftist)

They're mostly anti-western first and since the west is "right" they pretend to be left. But they really don't have any real economic believe besides anti-elite

According to a statement released Monday evening, Ecuadorian prosecutor Wilson Toainga Toainga will lead the interrogation October 17, based on questions sent by Swedish authorities, and DNA samples may be taken from Assange.

who its not a real interogation, why is ecuador interrogating over a swedish crime?

Wilsongt

We're still talking about the IRS?

Nevertheless, an influential right-wing faction within the House Republican Caucus hopes to break this streak on Tuesday. Rep. John Fleming (R-LA), a member of the ultra-conservative House Freedom Caucus, announced on Monday after a meeting of the Freedom Caucus that he will call up a resolution seeking to force a vote on whether Internal Revenue Service Commissioner John Koskinen will be impeached.

Joeytj

Banned
He's not a leftist (and neither are a lot of people who we typically call leftist)

They're mostly anti-western first and since the west is "right" they pretend to be left. But they really don't have any real economic believe besides anti-elite

who its not a real interogation, why is ecuador interrogating over a swedish crime?

My guess is because a foreign prosecutor can't interrogate someone within the Ecuadorian embassy.

Effect

So how has today been outside of Obama dropping spiting fire? Did the media even cover what he said or react to what he said about them? Hillary? More nonsense from Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom