• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

The big thing that makes me Diablos is I don't totally trust Clinton or her campaign to not screw things up (i.e. Gore in 2000, Kerry in 2004). Had 100% confidence in Obama in 2008 and 2012. When I see polls like this I get the same feeling I did in 2000 or 2004, like we can work as hard as we want but it doesn't matter because the media says the candidate is "flawed" for some reasons.

Honestly I'd be ok if the midwest like got eaten by a bear. I know someone who says words like "staff" like "stayayf" and it's like what is wrong with your mouth

That's more Kentuckian than Midwest (though not much difference in parts of S. Illinois/Indiana/Ohio)

thebloo

I didn't really get that read. Enthusiasm isn't the only thing that goes into a likely voter screen.

This electorate is more male than any Ohio electorate that I can find ever (including 2004). It's more white. It's a hell of a lot older too. There's just no way that's what Ohio will look like in November.

It's probably the 2004 electorate. As in, those exact people.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter because it's just one poll, but it sure does seem like you are trying to push a particular narrative when you change the potential electorate to what it was 12 years ago just because

Yes. We fought a war over Toledo. Which is the one and only time anyone in the universe gave a shit about Toledo. And now, we passive aggressively hate each other through football. But, it's specific. Ohio State vs. Michigan. We don't mind Michigan State that much. Woody Hayes, Ohio State's most prolific coach, refused to allow our football players to drink water from Michigan. We refer to them as "That State Up North." I'm making none of this up. It's all we have.
Couple of other fun stories is how they were recruiting in Michigan and the car was almost out of gas. One of the assistants on the trip said to stop the car. Woody said "we'll push and coast this goddamn car to the Ohio state line before we give this state a nickel of my money"

Another deals with the team being introduced at a public event and a freshmen was wearing a blue tie. Woody saw that and ripped that tie off of him

There are probably dozens of them.. One of My personal favorite moments from the rivalry is this..

For background for those who aren't aware, the M Club was a booster for the team and they put up a banner that every player runs through and touches it before the start of the game. (Think of Notre Dame's Play like a Champion sign as another example)

Well.. The team decided to take that banner down. And everyone went apeshit.

DIsney.. Give us Brett Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit to call Ohio State games again.

Miami (of Ohio) is fine. Someone has to be the 9th best football team in the state. :p
Adam.. Don't insult the cradle of coaches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

Even though they made that Ben a star..

Ryan StruykVerified account
‏@ryanstruyk
FWIW party breakdown in new Bloomberg poll is 29D-33R-34I but 2012 electorate was 38D-31R-31I. It's also 83% white but was 79% white in '12.

Should've posted the RV results, because this LV screening seems unrealistic to me.

johnyqd

HOW THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION'S FOREIGN BUSINESS TIES COULD UPEND U.S. NATIONAL SECURITY

PoliLurker here, surprised no links to this up yet (just the pre-post twitter buzz).

I just don't know if this will rise up past nothingburger status. It's not that I don't agree with the sentiment that Trump's financial dealings with various countries are a complete nightmare... but it's a nightmare that everyone already knows about.

As far as I can tell the investigation doesn't dive much deeper than publicly known business dealings and then presents a series of "what if" conjectures about how those dealings could have a major impact on a President Trump's policies.

PBY

Banned
HOW THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION'S FOREIGN BUSINESS TIES COULD UPEND U.S. NATIONAL SECURITY

PoliLurker here, surprised no links to this up yet (just the pre-post twitter buzz).

I just don't know if this will rise up past nothingburger status. It's not that I don't agree with the sentiment that Trump's financial dealings with various countries are a complete nightmare... but it's a nightmare that everyone already knows about.

As far as I can tell the investigation doesn't dive much deeper than publicly known business dealings and then presents a series of "what if" conjectures about how those dealings could have a major impact on a President Trump's policies.
This is a nothingburger.

Dierce

I wanted the Clinton campaign to take risks and they did that to some extent with the deplorable comment but now I see that regardless of what they do the people covering the election will find a way to criticize and turn it negative. They probably had the right idea to keep Clinton away from the limelight as much as possible. But then it turns into an unwinnable situation since she is not out there defending herself from a barage of lies and reflections.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really don't think it matters honestly. The fundamentals of the election are such that she can lose in all the swing states that are close and still win really. I'm not saying it's a lock but fretting over polling seems sort of myopic.

Zukkoyaki

Kyle Kondik from Sabato is going on a Tweet storm dissecting that OH poll. Basically just questioning the LV screening of +7 R in a more eloquent and informed fashion. Bringing Pew and Huffington Post's electorate ID projects now and compared to 2012 etc. Wraps up by wondering about D lack of enthusiasm.

Link: https://twitter.com/kkondik

Should've posted the RV results, because this LV screening seems unrealistic to me.

Hillarys problem will continue to be turnout. She needs Obama turnout and his entire coalition. Unfortunately, she's divisive and is attempting to scare to populace with Trump to get Turn out up. Elections are about turnout and Hilllary has never been a natural and inspiring politician.

If the Democrats had nominated someone like Kaine this would be a landslide.

PBY

Banned
Kyle Kondik from Sabato is going on a Tweet storm dissecting that OH poll. Basically just questioning the LV screening of +7 R in a more eloquent and informed fashion. Bringing Pew and Huffington Post's electorate ID projects now and compared to 2012 etc. Wraps up by wondering about D lack of enthusiasm.

I mean... I kind of get that there are legitimate methodology questions, but part of me wonders of this is some form of just not trusting the polls and watching the aggregates. This kind of stuff scares me

Slizeezyc

Hillarys problem will continue to be turnout. She needs Obama turnout and his entire coalition. Unfortunately, she's divisive and is attempting to scare to populace with Trump to get Turn out up. Elections are about turnout and Hilllary has never been a natural and inspiring politician.

If the Democrats had nominated someone like Kaine this would be a landslide.

Why's it got to be Kaine? Why can't it be Warren? Hmmmmm? Hmmmmmmmmm?

thefro

I really don't think it matters honestly. The fundamentals of the election are such that she can lose in all the swing states that are close and still win really. I'm not saying it's a lock but fretting over polling seems sort of myopic.

If Clinton loses in Ohio by 5, it's likely Michigan/Wisconsin are too close for comfort.

That's Nate Silver's problem with the Upshot/Princeton Elections Commission's models, they assume each state election is completely independent.

Boke1879

I wanted the Clinton campaign to take risks and they did that to some extent with the deplorable comment but now I see that regardless of what they do the people covering the election will find a way to criticize and turn it negative. They probably had the right idea to keep Clinton away from the limelight as much as possible. But then it turns into an unwinnable situation since she is not out there defending herself from a barage of lies and reflections.

Deplorables comment needed to be said because it's a fact. I don't care if it's a slight negative against her. Clinton is going to lose with the media either way might as well do something to placate the base.

The lack of enthusiasm will be the biggest problem for Hillary. Anyone who just throws out a LV poll because the screening doesn't match the prior election which had different candidates is missing the entire point of LV screening. It doesn't matter if the RV poll says she's far ahead, if no one comes out to vote it doesn't matter.

Zukkoyaki

Clinton isn't losing Ohio by 5, I mean we just had a poll from Sunday show her +7. I feel that these recent polls show that Ohio is looking like a coin-flip and it will be close for whoever wins.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not worried about Ohio because of that poll. Those demographic numbers are WAY off. One of the worst I've seen this cycle, actually. Bizarre.

Why's it got to be Kaine? Why can't it be Warren? Hmmmmm? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Kaine would get the I vote and Repulicans who are only voting for Trump/Johnson because they despise Hillary.

Seriously this should have been the easiest layup of an election considering how the R primary process went, but here we sit with Donald actually having chance.

Boke1879

The lack of enthusiasm will be the biggest problem for Hillary. Anyone who just throws out a LV poll because the screening doesn't match the prior election which had different candidates is missing the entire point of LV screening. It doesn't matter if the RV poll says she's far ahead, if no one comes out to vote it doesn't matter.

So you think AAs, latinos and all the other demos Clinton is winning won't turn out?

Slizeezyc

Kaine would get the I vote and Repulicans who are only voting for Trump/Johnson because they despise Hillary.

Seriously this should have been the easiest layup of an election considering how the R primary process went, but here we sit with Donald actually having chance.

Nothing is a slam dunk in a presidential election anymore, sorry fam. Trump's existence proves this.

Is that impossible?
We, literally, just went through a primary when people were using this exact same logic to explain why Hillary wouldn't win. It was wrong then. It is wrong now. The most reliable voting block is black women. They're not going to just forget to turn out. We're not going to see Latino voters stay home because of Donald Trump. We're not going to see Democrats refuse to come out because, again, Donald Trump is a white nationalist. She has an extensive GOTV operation. It's well funded. It's well run. And it's about sixty times better than what Trump has.

So, ya, I think it's pretty damn near impossible.

It's going to be one of *those* days isn't it.

So you think AAs, latinos and all the other demos Clinton is winning won't turn out?

Add in the youth vote. No I don't think it's impossible. Her entire pitch to them is come out and vote because we don't want Donald. Not the most inspiring pitch.

Hillary has never been a motivating candidate towards her. Only away from her.

PBY

Banned
We, literally, just went through a primary when people were using this exact same logic to explain why Hillary wouldn't win. It was wrong then. It is wrong now. The most reliable voting block is black women. They're not going to just forget to turn out. We're not going to see Latino voters stay home because of Donald Trump. We're not going to see Democrats refuse to come out because, again, Donald Trump is a white nationalist. She has an extensive GOTV operation. It's well funded. It's well run. And it's about sixty times better than what Trump has.

ADAM BROUGHT THE BLICKY OUT AND IT ISNT EVEN 830 AM YET

Ok I feel better, but also trust the polls

Diablos

There's no way Hillary loses OH and wins NC. That's why this OH poll is especially concerning if other credible polls follow suit

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Right, and I am fairly certain the debates are going to only make people want to vote even more.

Zukkoyaki

There's no way Hillary loses OH and wins NC. That's why this OH poll is especially concerning if other credible polls follow suit

YouGov is a credible poll that dropped a Clinton +7 in Ohio on Sunday.
Quinnipiac dropped polls at the same time last week including Trump +4 in OH and Clinton +4 in NC

Basically, I doubt OH is really leaning THAT far toward Trump anyway. And I don't think it's crazy to think that Clinton could lose OH and win NC given recent polling and especially with the large number of African Americans and college-educated whites in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom