• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

I can't wait to see how much Johnson and Stein ACTUALLY get on election day. I can't imagine their bases being the reliable voting type given how most them are "protest voting."

QPac:

https://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2378

LV:

Hillary: 48
Clinton: 43

LV:

Hillary: 41
Clinton: 39
Aleppo: 13
Cincinnati: 4
W1CKfRx.gif

Maxim726X

Hillary has just got in trouble for telling the truth and not giving a fuck about the general reaction (deplorables).

She got in more shit when she 'clarified'.

He's got a point, and it's one of the reasons that she has a likability issue. They're at both extremes- One candidate says whatever the fuck he wants, the other is extremely measured in every word she says.

People pick up on that.

mo60

I can't wait to see how much Johnson and Stein ACTUALLY get on election day. I can't imagine their bases being the reliable voting type given how most them are "protest voting."

I expect a lot of stein's base to abandon her in the end. The same thing will happen to Johnson but it won't hurt him as much. I can see him fall from like 7%-9% to like 2%-5% on election day.

Yeah, I think people freaking out about polls are making a very very naive assumption about the country. Hillary is doing great for a modern election, even in the tightest polls, but people actually think this country isn't super racist and will reject Trump if given a better candidate.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one, but Obama himself would only be running like a point or so higher than Hillary (she does hold the 2nd and 3rd place for most primary votes ever, right behind Bams). Half of this country doesn't really care about policy as long as the culture war is fought for them. They don't care about child care, or health care, or tax code, or foreign policy. The only thing that matters is having a strongman stand up and say "You know what, you pussy liberals. Shut up, sit down, and mind your manners. If things aren't like Leave It To Beaver, then we'll make them be that way. And if they are, then you'll damn well like it."

The GOP base (and indeed half of the country) is just that racist. Donald Trump is running on a platform entirely built with culture war as the planks, and he'd be doing just this well against Barack Obama right now. It is what it is.

There's no way in hell he would be doing this well against Obama. He would probably be getting publicly eviscerated a few times a week.

This man has paid women he's knocked up to get abortions and has never asked God for forgiveness FWIW:

Cr79GpFUIAATxrk.jpg

Many White Evangelicals are very racist.

Election Day margins

52% Clinton
44% Trump
3% Johnson
1% Stein

I can see this. The only way to get Trump's number lower is to find a way to get the current Johnson supporters who are right-leaning to stay with Johnson, while keeping your own left-leaning Johnson supporters from doing the same. But I think this is difficult to do, so I'd guess the margins will be similar to what you've got here.

NeoXChaos

B-dubs you will likely need to prepare for a 2nd 1st Debate thread if that one reaches 400 pages. 9/10 it will.

I'd argue for all of you doing debate threads.

OT11 will likely go out the week of the debate.

Majorities in both camps are mainly voting *against* the other.

Am I reading the poll wrong? That doesn't appear to be true for Democrats, just Republicans

How do you feel about choosing between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in this year's presidential election; do you feel as though: you are choosing to vote for the candidate you like, you are choosing to vote for the lesser of two evils, or you can't bring yourself to vote for either candidate?

Candidate you like: 70% Democrat 47% Republican
Lesser of two evils: 24% Democrat 48% Republican

Joeytj

Banned
All this panic forgets the pre-conventions season. The polls were even tighter back then and Trump even managed a net positive average lead on RCP.

It sucks that Hillary was taken out by pneumonia, but her strength in polls taken last week before the weekend shows that all she needs to do is campaign again.

royalan

The press is impossibly PC about white people so Hillary can't tell the truth about things without getting attacked by the press. But she's a woman so she can't be evasive without being condemned as inauthentic.

The press are going to spin what she says regardless. She needs to keep talking to her base.

There's no way in hell he would be doing this well against Obama. He would probably be getting publicly eviscerated a few times a week.

Nah. The country is just that polarized. For all the damage and outrage (mostly at the tone), Romney was right that 45ish percent of the country today is a guaranteed vote for either the Dems or the GOP. Trump is no different. Even for the GOP voters that don't like Trump, they'd still rather have him and just use the House to curb him, while using him as a rubber stamp for 4 years.

Remember, earlier this year, the GOP sent a full repeal of the ACA to Obama's desk, and if not for his veto, it would've happened. Stuff like this drives the GOP base (and I wish liberals could give a shit about stuff like this instead of thinking "It won't happen"). If Trump wins, the base knows that they can get a shit ton of their platform pushed through in no time. It'd be easy; it's not like Trump actually cares about policy at all. He just wants the title.

Confidence is great but couldn't this hurt turnout?

I think there's evidence that it's the opposite. People like winning and hate losing; it's why turnout for a sporting event favors the team that's favored to win. People don't want to participate in a losing exercise, but it feels good to participate in a winning one.

Obama does the exact same thing. When he's not reading a prepared statement he pauses a lot. Did he ever criticize Obama for it?

There's quite a difference between the way they speak and operate socially in interviews (without written remarks). There's a Romney-esque cold, calculated tone and personality at work, and just like with Romney it's frustrating for supporters in part because the actual person is very likable. The Romney you see in the Netflix doc or in everyday life is very different from the one we saw in 08 and 12. Likewise the Clinton we see on television is different from the Clinton people deal with behind the scenes, at home, etc.

I'm biased, Axelrod is biased. But you can't operate in politics if you aren't honest about your party's candidates, chances, etc. Obama has a variety of flaws, some of which are major; no one is calling him perfect. You have to be able to acknowledge the good and the bad, figure out what can be done to focus the public on the good over the bad, etc. But Obama is also a once in a generation type talent whose flaws end up being overlooked or overcome. Hillary Clinton is an incredibly flawed candidate who doubles down on those flaws while her network of supporters paint her as a victim instead of demanding some accountability. Yea she gets some unfair treatment but how many times do you get to make the same mistakes before someone says ok, there's a problem here.

If you don't have someone who can get in your face and tell you you're fucking up, you're in trouble. Obama had that (Axelrod, Plouffe, Gibbs, Michelle, etc), Hillary doesn't. I don't think the left does a good job of critiquing its major candidates from the outside, so having someone inside the bubble to bring you back to reality becomes even more important.

There's quite a difference between the way they speak and operate socially in interviews (without written remarks). There's a Romney-esque cold, calculated tone and personality at work, and just like with Romney it's frustrating for supporters in part because the actual person is very likable. The Romney you see in the Netflix doc or in everyday life is very different from the one we saw in 08 and 12. Likewise the Clinton we see on television is different from the Clinton people deal with behind the scenes, at home, etc.

I'm biased, Axelrod is biased. But you can't operate in politics if you aren't honest about your party's candidates, chances, etc. Obama has a variety of flaws, some of which are major; no one is calling him perfect. You have to be able to acknowledge the good and the bad, figure out what can be done to focus the public on the good over the bad, etc. But Obama is also a once in a generation type talent whose flaws end up being overlooked or overcome. Hillary Clinton is an incredibly flawed candidate who doubles down on those flaws while her network of supporters paint her as a victim instead of demanding some accountability. Yea she gets some unfair treatment but how many times do you get to make the same mistakes before someone says ok, there's a problem here.

If you don't have someone who can get in your face and tell you you're fucking up, you're in trouble. Obama had that (Axelrod, Plouffe, Gibbs, Michelle, etc), Hillary doesn't. I don't think the left does a good job of critiquing its major candidates from the outside, so having someone inside the bubble to bring you back to reality becomes even more important.

AKA Opitics

She was fine in New York when she was a senator. She didn't have this "she thinks too much" when she was first lady (wasn't it the opposite, that she spoke her mind?).

Its bullshit predenting to be something that matters

Nope. It's quinnipac. Panic is still ongoing.

Q being a decently reliable poll, with a small Republican bias, showing Hillary well in the lead in the 1v1, and still in the lead in the 4 way, and that her being sick didn't really do much of anything.

Overall, I'd say it was a fantastic poll, especially since we got all those other little stats that, to me at least, seem to show Hillary voters are confident and more enthusiastic about their candidate than I think most people assume.

Also, another reason to think those Johnson/Stein numbers may come back down to Earth a bit:

Get Bernie out there and get Hillary to embrace legal weed, jesus fucking christ.

I don't care if you have personal feelings against weed, Hillary, I have personal feelings against Trump invading Iran and making the Rape of Nanking look mild.

Zukkoyaki

I can't imagine what the 2012 election must have been like here when every poll showed a different winner for like the last month of the election.

Also, another reason to think those Johnson/Stein numbers may come back down to Earth a bit:

This election is making me hate millennials and I'm starting to see a lot of the things old people say about them might not be all that wrong, at least when it comes to politics.

Some of my most frustrating political conversations were not with Trump supporters, it was with Busters.

I can't imagine what the 2012 election must have been like here when every poll showed a different winner for like the last month of the election.
This thread probably would have been locked for health reasons

Nah. The country is just that polarized. For all the damage and outrage (mostly at the tone), Romney was right that 45ish percent of the country today is a guaranteed vote for either the Dems or the GOP. Trump is no different. Even for the GOP voters that don't like Trump, they'd still rather have him and just use the House to curb him, while using him as a rubber stamp for 4 years.

Remember, earlier this year, the GOP sent a full repeal of the ACA to Obama's desk, and if not for his veto, it would've happened. Stuff like this drives the GOP base (and I wish liberals could give a shit about stuff like this instead of thinking "It won't happen"). If Trump wins, the base knows that they can get a shit ton of their platform pushed through in no time. It'd be easy; it's not like Trump actually cares about policy at all. He just wants the title.

I think there's evidence that it's the opposite. People like winning and hate losing; it's why turnout for a sporting event favors the team that's favored to win. People don't want to participate in a losing exercise, but it feels good to participate in a winning one.

It may be polarized, but Trump is still the most disliked candidate ever, and Obama favorables are very good right now. His campaigning would be a bit different, getting much more coverage, and his constant attacks on Trump would just be on another level, driving up the possibility that Trump becoming even more unhinged than he has been. It would be so easy for him to point out how terrible that man is, while using that whole bitherism angle in such a way that it would resonate deeper than it ever could when Hillary talks about it. Obama would get more Hispanic voters than he ever did before.

Obama would destroy him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom