• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Ryan StruykVerified account
‏@ryanstruyk
Just for comparison on Clinton +7 in new Monmouth poll:

At this time in 2012...
ABC/Post: Romney +1
CNN: Tie
Fox: Romney +1
CBS: Obama +1

Yet I am sure I am diablosing more now than then.

Diablos

The issue with Wiener isn't really the sexting, it's the "Taking a dick pic when a child is in the room". Regardless of how old the child is, it's the kind of thing that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. This piece from the WaPo puts the point across nicely. It's not even that there's something dubious going on (there plainly isn't), it's just the creepiness factor of it.
Seriously. At least crop the photo. Ugh. Well you can rest assured GOPers will tie this to Hillary somehow.

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 38m38 minutes ago
New movements on the anti-Trump front this morning in Washington. Several meetings and calls, top Rs mulling options...

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 29m29 minutes ago
NEWS: Stuart Stevens meets w/ anti-Trump independent to talk strategy, RomneyWorld warming to McMullin...

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 13m13 minutes ago
What I'm hearing: McMullin, obviously, is a long shot. But many Rs looking at whether a push for him in select states is worth big $, effort

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 13m13 minutes ago
The realistic goal, per several ppl, wouldn't be McMullin winning a state but to steal votes from Trump and cripple his bid in AZ, UT, etc.

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 11m11 minutes ago
The Romney question is one that looms over next 70 days. How he and his network lean, whether they're active or quiet, is a variable...

To be honest my mind went to a filthy place with the pickle, especially with the insinuation in that cartoon that Hillary and Huma are lovers and there is only one pickle in the jar. Maybe it represents pickle gate and that too.

thebloo

What's the point of spending money to hurt a candidate almost certain to lose already? The only reason to back McMullin would be the hope that he prevents some Rs from staying home and helps downticket races.

I don't get it either. A "fuck Trump, vote for this senator" campaign would be much better. Pushing a new guy would just create confusion.

What's the point of spending money to hurt a candidate almost certain to lose already? The only reason to back McMullin would be the hope that he prevents some Rs from staying home and helps downticket races.

Attempt to destroy the Trump movement before it completely takes over the party?

Ari Melber MSNBCVerified account
‏@AriMelber
Trump may be shifting towards building more of a "virtual wall" on the border, reports @halliejackson
Not going to go down well with his base.

Somebody better tell that to Mike Pence.

Pence: 'Nothing Has Changed About Donald Trump's Position on Dealing With Illegal Immigration'

"He put this issue at the center of this presidential campaign in the Republican primaries," Pence told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday. "And his position and his principles have been absolutely consistent. We're going to secure the border. We're going to build a wall, have a physical barrier. We're going to enforce the laws of this country, end sanctuary cities, implement E-Verify."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If they give him a push in Utah, with Romney backing, he could seriously embarrass Trump. It'd be a good show of force and scare off anyone else looking to try and build on what he did this cycle.

Iolo

Finally, Hillary fell to 79% in the 538 model, and they tweeted about it

I've been waiting for this for weeks. She moved down 1 decile, it's game over.

Trouble

Banned
Tomtom just linked me this. I am very confused.

hillary-boogeyman-cartoon_orig.jpg

They are literally racist boogeymen, though.

2 possibilities for the aftermath of the election, depending on whether you believe the Trump faction or the Business (Romneyish) faction will be stronger electorally:

1) Suck up to Trump and support him, and cross your fingers that he finds your support acceptable and doesn't burn your party down and tell his base to never vote for you again.
2) Abandon Trump publicly and cross your fingers that the electorate believes you in a few years when you tell them that you "totally stood up to Trump."

Option 1 is the plan if Trump's wing is stronger. Option 2 otherwise. The GOP has been trying to do both (supporting him but not endorsing, refusing to say anything against his rhetoric but not condemning his run, etc....) and it's not working out. So now you have to pick Option 1 or Option 2.

If they give him a push in Utah, with Romney backing, he could seriously embarrass Trump. It'd be a good show of force and scare off anyone else looking to try and build on what he did this cycle.

That's a tall order though. You'd need McMullin to surge really high and maybe even win the state outright as Hillary's (and historical Democratic) numbers give her a very low ceiling in the state. Arizona is more promising on that front.

Joeytj

Banned

The stakes are just so much higher now.

I don't remember being so nervous about a 7+ lead in the polls back in 2012 either, and yet, I want a 12+ lead because Trump can't be allowed to come anywhere near the Presidency and set a dangerous precedent.

gcubed

for the majority of people, if they aren't going to vote for President, they aren't going to vote.

Pushing McMullin as a "save the party" option, gets people to the polling stations, where they will hopefully vote for the down ballot races. They would need to focus this in areas where the downballot is heavily anti-Trump as well.

McMullin won't win shit, he knows it, and everyone in the GOP knows it. Its a way to reshape the party right now, remove the racists and pieces of shit from the campaign, and possibly save the house.

Iolo

Wait, what the fuck can RMoney do now? It's too late. Unless they're talking about endorsing McMullin.

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 3m3 minutes ago
People several people close to him, Romney is closely monitoring McMullin, keeping eye on Johnson-Weld. Still thinking thru what he'll do.

He's still thinking it through, man. There's like 70 days left. That's a hundred thousand minutes. Plenty of time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's a tall order though. You'd need McMullin to surge really high and maybe even win the state outright as Hillary's (and historical Democratic) numbers give her a very low ceiling in the state. Arizona is more promising on that front.

The point wouldn't be to win the state, it would be to give Trump a bloody nose and show the party isn't down for his shit. Utah would be their best bet to do it in because of the high Mormon population and their dislike of Trump.

thebloo

for the majority of people, if they aren't going to vote for President, they aren't going to vote.

Pushing McMullin as a "save the party" option, gets people to the polling stations, where they will hopefully vote for the down ballot races. They would need to focus this in areas where the downballot is heavily anti-Trump as well.

McMullin won't win shit, he knows it, and everyone in the GOP knows it. Its a way to reshape the party right now, remove the racists and pieces of shit from the campaign, and possibly save the house.

This is like pissing on a burning house just to say you tried. And they're not even doing it, they're just playing with their fly.

That's the only motivation that makes sense, and even that seems like a futile gesture. McMullin won't be on many ballots and most of the votes he draws probably won't even be in places with competitive downticket races. Any money spent would be better off just being used directly in support of House races.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is like pissing on a burning house just to say you tried. And they're not even doing it, they're just playing with their fly.

Yea but when your buddy set the fire and everyone's blaming you for him even being there, you gotta at least look like you're trying to put it out.

With all these disgusting conspiracy theories about candidates' health and mental well-being, could you imagine if Roosevelt was trying to run today?

That the only motivation that makes sense, and even that seems like a futile gesture. McMullin won't be on many ballots and most of the votes he draws probably won't even be in places with competitive downticket races. Any money spent would be better off just being used directly in support of House races.

I'm hoping McMullin only manages to steal support from Gary Johnson so he doesn't show up in the debates, I don't think he'll get to 15 but still.

Grief.exe

Plus, holding onto local governorships and local Congress are key to the GOP's strategy.

The only thing about these comparisons is that the conventions were so early this year that going by the time of year isn't very useful. We're in the middle of the 2012 GOP convention right now and the Dems aren't until next week.

Comparing years will be more relevant by the end of September.

gcubed

Plus, holding onto local governorships and local Congress are key to the GOP's strategy.

this too, but even forgetting the federal branches, if they get wider than expected losses locally, that will kill the GOP. The reason they are still somewhat relevant is because they completely dominated state races the last few years.

AndyD

aka andydumi
With all these disgusting conspiracy theories about candidates' health and mental well-being, could you imagine if Roosevelt was trying to run today?

Heh, I was thinking about that last week when NPR had a story on his health issues at the start vs. reelection and obvious end of presidency.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys, we don't need to worry about the health issue thing anymore because Hillary's taken care of it.

PENSACOLA, FL—Addressing recent allegations that she is physically unfit to serve in the Oval Office, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, 68, debunked rumors about her health Monday by telling the audience at a campaign rally the exact day she will die. “To those who say I’m not able-bodied enough to be president, let me respond: I will die on January 23, 2041,” said Clinton, who then further discredited those questioning her strength and wellness by confirming she will pass away early that morning, and that the cause of death will be congestive heart failure related to her advanced age. “I will die surrounded by my loved ones, who will then mourn me for an appropriate length of time. But this won’t happen anytime soon; it will happen in 8,913 days.” Clinton then went on to reveal to the cheering crowd that her body would lie in state at the Capitol rotunda for 45 hours for public viewing and tributes before the nation honors her with a state funeral service at the Washington National Cathedral.

Iolo

It's a shame Chelsea will have to say goodbye to her mother a mere 3 days after her inauguration, but she's strong enough to honor her and do her duty to the country.

You know the one thing I don't like about Monmouth? They don't do breakdowns based on race other than "White non-Hispanic" and "non-white" That's silly. One thing I do like, is when they break the numbers down by if it's a swing state/red state/blue state.

In states that were won by less than 7% in 2012, it's 52/29(!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom