• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most telling evidence from the past few weeks is that all of the Trump imitators got crushed in primaries. The fact that Trump is Trump is resonating with people far more than his policies are.

There was really nothing that happened that would have caused the shift.
So it's either noise. Or the subsiding of the convention bump I guess.
Or door number 3, liberals are poo.

Teggy

what

CrMGS0FW8AEuE9i.jpg:large

Well now she's net negative with woman, that is certainly a cause for concern.

Too early to judge, she could be +7 and this is all for nothing.

royalan

Well, she hasn't really done herself any favors. The way she and her campaign have been playing defense lately (actually defending The Clinton Foundation, a MUCH better answer to the email question) should have honestly started weeks ago. Until fairly recently she's let Trump and his surrogates attack her without much of a response, so it's no surprise her numbers continue to drop.

I was having this conversation with a coworker. At this point, I think the Clinton campaign has adequately made the case that Trump is dangerous, untrustworthy, racist, sexist, a fucking moron, etc.. Fatigue has started to set in, ESPECIALLY now that Trump has settled on the strategy of just mindlessly parroting every attack she launches at him, insuring that pretty much everything Hillary says about Trump at this point gets covered with a "Both sides!!!!" slant no matter how much sense that doesn't make (god, our media is awful), and Hillary gets blowback.

Trump cannot pivot at this point, so Hillary needs to. Start reminding people that there are good reasons to want to vote for her, and not just against Trump. Give us some more of that convention week hopium.

It's time to stop attacking Trump, the public gets it. Pivot to a more positive message because that's something Trump literally cannot do at this point. He has no positive message. The public wouldn't even believe it.

/armchair punditry

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's honestly just permeated into the culture that she is untrustworthy, regardless of the truth.

You know what, though? Perhaps she should be doing more public things to make herself more likeable. She's clearly not doing enough right now. Maybe the lack of press conferences actually IS a problem.

NewFresh

You know what, though? Perhaps she should be doing more public things to make herself more likeable. She's clearly not doing enough right now. Maybe the lack of press conferences actually IS a problem.

I would agree with this. Her attempts at staying out of the limelight and letting Trump roast himself weekly is only helping her in as much as he is hurting himself. She needs to get out there more.

Effect

Is the call for the press conference really because they want more sound bites out of Clinton? Nothing is something them from asking her questions when she's at campaign stops when she talks with the press or in interviews that they can request or are offered. The the only difference I think is because in those situations she's able to give thoughtful answers and not ones that can easily be used in a news segment over and over again.

She could likely turn a press conference into that by giving long answers but then the press would complain about not having a lot of time or opportunity or many questions being asked. Perhaps she should have one just to say she's had one but I'm not seeing the positive for her to have one on their terms. Especially since we know what they're going to want to ask for the most part. They're not going to ask her about her policies or thoughts on sensitive issues. Even if she gives an answers they're going to try and rephrase the question hoping for a moment/sound bite.

royalan

Honestly, I don't think anyone would give much of a shit about Hillary not doing press conferences if she wasn't going up against a circus clown who does one every 5 minutes and constantly attacks her for not doing the same. She hasn't really shied away from the press otherwise. It's the new speeches, nobody really gives a fuck about this when Hillary is doing regular interviews.

That being said, she should do one before the debate so that this doesn't eat up an entire fucking segment. Hillary should take whatever cards off the table that she can.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-30-clinton-emails-20160830-snap-story.html
The State Department says about 30 emails that may be related to the 2012 attack on U.S. compounds in Benghazi, Libya, are among the thousands of Hillary Clinton emails recovered during the FBI's recently closed investigation into her use of a private server.

Government lawyers told U.S. District Court Judge Amit P. Mehta on Tuesday that an undetermined number of the emails among the 30 were not included in the 55,000 pages previously provided by Clinton. The State Department's lawyer said it would need until the end of September to review the emails and redact potentially classified information before they are released.

Mehta questioned why it would take so long to release so few documents and urged that the process be sped up. He ordered the department to report to him in a week with more details about why the review process would take a full month.
Whole thing is a clusterfuck filled with lies and shady tactics.

HylianTom

Banned
Thank the gods for Trump, folks.
Yup. A thousand times this. There's a reason I begged for him to be the nominee. On one hand, he's dredging-up a lot of nastiness that was bubbling under the surface of our society; it's a troubling consequence of his campaign. But on the other side of the equation - he was our most likely path to victory. We all know the stakes this year. We lose, and it's a tough slog for the next few decades.

I'm not the least bit worried about the outcome, but I still think an infomercial for the weekend before the election would be a wise move. Have her best surrogates on the air, maybe spring a few last-minute surprise endorsements, etc.. just to see if she can get even a fraction of the bump she got from the DNC. Might help with downticket races, too.

Cynicism is a significant factor these days. I believe people are getting dumber and their time and effort put forth to understand things gets smaller, while their need to feel smarter is growing. Cynicism addresses all of that- it makes people feel smarter and requires no understanding, and reinforcing cynicism only requires the time to skim headlines. It's also very difficult to argue or discuss politics with cynical people, it's easier and more reassuring to just be cynical yourself and feel more in tune with others.

I wouldn't say that nothing has happened. The Clinton campaign's run-out-the-clock strategy has meant they've basically ceded all air time to Trump. Trump has been setting the agenda and news cycles. Then there's the slow drip of the email news, and the Clinton campaign, which tends to skew negatively to her because, again, all their surrogates haven't been going on air to talk about it.

Hopefully this is all because they've been focusing on fundraising leading up to the post-labor day campaign.

Well, she hasn't really done herself any favors. The way she and her campaign have been playing defense lately (actually defending The Clinton Foundation, a MUCH better answer to the email question) should have honestly started weeks ago. Until fairly recently she's let Trump and his surrogates attack her without much of a response, so it's no surprise her numbers continue to drop.

I was having this conversation with a coworker. At this point, I think the Clinton campaign has adequately made the case that Trump is dangerous, untrustworthy, racist, sexist, a fucking moron, etc.. Fatigue has started to set in, ESPECIALLY now that Trump has settled on the strategy of just mindlessly parroting every attack she launches at him, insuring that pretty much everything Hillary says about Trump at this point gets covered with a "Both sides!!!!" slant no matter how much sense that doesn't make (god, our media is awful), and Hillary gets blowback.

Trump cannot pivot at this point, so Hillary needs to. Start reminding people that there are good reasons to want to vote for her, and not just against Trump. Give us some more of that convention week hopium.

It's time to stop attacking Trump, the public gets it. Pivot to a more positive message because that's something Trump literally cannot do at this point. He has no positive message. The public wouldn't even believe it.

/armchair punditry
I agree, less ads attacking Trump and more ads talking about her and her plans. Leave the attacks to the Super PAC.

They've mismanaged the entire email and Foundation stories.

But my guess is they're just going to play it safe and run out the clock.

No, re-read this 1000 times

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/6/8900143/hillary-clinton-reporting-rules

1) Everything, no matter how ludicrous-sounding, is worthy of a full investigation by federal agencies, Congress, the "vast right-wing conspiracy," and mainstream media outlets

2) Every allegation, no matter how ludicrous, is believable until it can be proven completely and utterly false. And even then, it keeps a life of its own in the conservative media world.

3) The media assumes that Clinton is acting in bad faith until there's hard evidence otherwise.

4) Everything is newsworthy because the Clintons are the equivalent of America's royal family

5) Everything she does is fake and calculated for maximum political benefit

I take a dim view of the idea that journalists successfully anoint political winners. The media might have been in the bag for Barack Obama, but he didn't win because he got positive coverage. He won because he had better strategy, a better message, and better skills at delivering that message — in the 2008 primary and in the two general elections he won.

That said, the media can definitely weigh down — and even destroy — a candidate. The emphasis on a candidate's flaws — real or perceived — comes at the cost of the candidate's ability to focus his or her message and at the cost of negative attention to the other candidates. This is a problem for Clinton, and it seems unlikely to go away.

Hillary Clinton is comfortable enough to be a target for a lot of journalistic affliction and powerful enough that no one needs to comfort her from that affliction. But these double standards are an important factor to keep in mind when judging her against her rivals for the presidency. Whether they're fair or not, the Clinton rules distort the public's perception of Hillary Clinton.

Cynicism is a significant factor these days. I believe people are getting dumber and their time and effort put forth to understand things gets smaller, while their need to feel smarter is growing. Cynicism addresses all of that- it makes people feel smarter and requires no understanding, and reinforcing cynicism only requires the time to skim headlines. It's also very difficult to argue or discuss politics with cynical people, it's easier and more reassuring to just be cynical yourself and feel more in tune with others.

I feel this is a big thing, people are so damn cynical on the internet it makes it exhausting for someone who aren't.

royalan

I mean, I'm just not a fan of the "run out the clock" strategy.

Trump has fucked up so much that victory is likely out of reach. But still, get out there, generate some positive feels leading into your presidency.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No, re-read this 1000 times

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/6/8900143/hillary-clinton-reporting-rules

I feel this is a big thing, people are so damn cynical on the internet it makes it exhausting for someone who aren't.

Hillary can still be doing things for better public perception. I don't buy that every single thing she does will be reported by non-conservative media as dishonest.
Whoa, she also dropped 16 points with Hispanics.

Let's wait and see if this poll is an outlier or the real deal.

Learning toward outlier. The only thing that could have changed that is Trump's waffling on the border/immigration but that seems unlikely. That seems like way too big of a drop, though, even for that.

PBY

Banned
What is Don doing in Mexico today? More specifically, is he speaking/is there anything that will be televised?

Teggy

By the way, Dan Bongino, the former Secret Service agent and Trump supporter who was running for congress in Florida lost badly, coming in third place with 17%.

pigeon

Banned

Nobody gives a shit about press conferences other than the press.

Emarv

I mean, what positive public things could she do that would actually break through for press coverage? The press don't want feel good photo ops or speeches. Her summer coverage barely touched on her small town feel good stories.

Maybe she should go visit the Pope.....

Emarv

Have a Dancing with the Stars dance-off with Obama. Go do a lip sync battle with Beyonce and Timberlake.

I'm just shooting from the hip, Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom