• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So what you are all saying is that a presidential candidate allowing others to ask them questions about their campaign, past experience, and lives is a bad thing and that nobody likes them? Seriously? Why do candidates do town halls? Why does the current president do press conferences? It's not about the "press conference." You're all stuck on that term. It's completely about the public back and forth. That's what people want to see.

If you're a public figure, you need to offer people the opportunity to see you in action. Hillary hasn't been doing that. As crazy as Trump is, at least he's had the balls to go out and have press conferences. His end up crazy and he just rips on people. Hillary would provide a stark contrast of professionalism and kindness that I think would go a LONG way in helping her public perception.

So what you are all saying is that a presidential candidate allowing others to ask them questions about their campaign, past experience, and lives is a bad thing and that nobody likes them? Seriously? Why do candidates do town halls? Why does the current president do press conferences? It's not about the "press conference." You're all stuck on that term. It's completely about the public back and forth. That's what people want to see.

If you're a public figure, you need to offer people the opportunity to see you in action. Hillary hasn't been doing that. As crazy as Trump is, at least he's had the balls to go out and have press conferences. His end up crazy and he just rips on people. Hillary would provide a stark contrast of professionalism and kindness that I think would go a LONG way in helping her public perception.
That's what the press is demanding, she's done town halls, she's answered questions, shes done everything but this very formulaic ritual the press is obsessed with

Her problem is not press conferences, it's the piss poor answers about emails and the foundation - namely what will happen if she wins - and the campaign's strategy to spend a ton of money on ads solely attacking Trump. We get it, he's a nutjob, but don't make it a choice between the less of two evils. Focus on your plan for America.

Renji_11

The thing is now if she does do a press conference the talking point will shift from "No Press Conference in 270 odd days" to "She went 270 odd days without doing a Press Conference". I guess it will at least make the press happy/

Emarv

Umm, nobody is arguing that press conferences aren't a moral good and healthy for a free society. Also, town halls are very different from press conferences.

I think the point (at least mine) is that the average voter doesn't care about the number of press conferences taken during an election season (go back and look up how many Obama did in 2012) and that press conferences definitely won't help with her likability since they'll largely just be about her scandals.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But, as others have said, you make the press happy as well. People complain about the way Hillary is covered by the press (and rightly so). Perhaps throwing them a bone once in a while would help a bit.

Press conferences are useless in an election setting. No room for follow up and explanations. Doing 300 individual interviews with the media is better, as she done so far.

Only Chuck Todds care about the pressers because they get to sit in front and have their ego stroked. The issue is that Hillary cant fix this problem by herself and she might not have picked the best time to wage this battle because everything she does is magnified tenfold.

Edit: I speak as an official OPTICS spokesperson. Its just bad optics.

Emarv

But, as others have said, you make the press happy as well. People complain about the way Hillary is covered by the press (and rightly so). Perhaps throwing them a bone once in a while would help a bit.
Oh I agree. I've said as much; she should hold a few leading up to the debates. It's the smart and right thing to do. Doesn't change that this is still basically an issue "on principles" for the press and basically no one else. Well, and an easy attack for the Right.

Oh I agree. I've said as much; she should hold a few leading up to the debates. It's the smart and right thing to do. Doesn't change that this is still basically an issue "on principles" for the press and basically no one else. Well, and an easy attack for the Right.

It's not about the answers, honestly. everyone has their mind made up. just check off the fucking box already

She is just do it even if the press is obsessed she isn't giving them the attention they think they deserve. I think if she had done one on the e-mails and foundation earlier the stories could have been minimized, but it's too late to do that now. It's funny the press will say they want to talk about the issues, but I bet there wouldn't be a single question about her actual plans at one of these things

I agree that Trump has been fully defined now, but I wouldn't worry about the campaign not turning more towards Hillary herself unless it still hasn't a month from now. We know their schedule for rolling out the big surrogates next month and through October. They're trying to time the last phase to have momentum going right into Election Day. Remember Trump has no timing, or phases, or strategy. His campaign is literally just endless rallies and tweets and press appearances.

I think the feeling of a lull right now is again due to the weird convention dates this year, adding an extra month to the post-convention period.

Emarv

She is just do it even if the press is obsessed she isn't giving them the attention they think they deserve. I think if she had done one on the e-mails and foundation earlier the stories could have been minimized, but it's too late to do that now. It's funny the press will say they want to talk about the issues, but I bet there wouldn't be a single question about her actual plans at one of these things
Half the questions on the scandals. Half on responses to Donald Trump. Zero on policy. Book it.

royalan

At this point, doing a press conference now and getting it out of the way will be better than the moderators spending 30 minutes on this during the debates with Trump yelling "Crooked Hillary!!!" in the background.

If we're talking optics.

Bowdz

They brought up the issue of press conferences on Keepin it 1600 yesterday. I agree with Jon Lovett that Friday would be a perfect time for a press conference (Friday before labor day will have very little coverage).

I agree that press conferences are largely symbolic and generally only stroke the ego of the press, but doing them is part of the experience of running for president (just like releasing tax returns and doing debates). Even if Hilldawg just does one more, it will help to satiate the press and kill this line of attack from the press. The worst thing that can happen is that Clinton looks bad on the email/foundation questions, but honestly, she's getting hit on those through a frustrated media anyways.

pigeon

Banned
Basically it's too hard even for PoliGAF to Diablos about whether Clinton can win now so we're just going to Diablos about her approval ratings and press conferences. Okay.

At this point, doing a press conference now and getting it out of the way will be better than the moderators spending 30 minutes on this during the debates with Trump yelling "Crooked Hillary!!!" in the background.

If we're talking optics.

There's no booing allowed in the Presidential Debates. Crowd must remain silent.

Basically it's too hard even for PoliGAF to Diablos about whether Clinton can win now so we're just going to Diablos about her approval ratings and press conferences. Okay.
Any other Republican and it would be the major issue. As said, thank God it's Trump.

rokkerkory

14102299_618305121664091_1668427836241419013_n.jpg

lol

Bowdz

So in other news, Rubio did this stupid move:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/293928-rubio-challenges-murphy-to-six-debates

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) on Wednesday morning challenged his Democratic opponent Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Fla.) to six debates ahead of the November election.

Following Rubio and Murphy’s respective primary victories on Tuesday night, the GOP senator issued a debate request similar to the one from his 2010 Senate race and requested that at least one of the debates be sponsored by a Spanish-language outlet.
“In 2010, all three candidates for the U.S. Senate — Kendrick Meek, Charlie Crist and myself — agreed that Floridians deserved a discussion and debate about the future of our state and nation that went beyond 30-second ads and TV news soundbites,” Rubio wrote in a letter to Murphy, according to Politico. “To that end, we all agreed to a series of live televised debates — six in all — hosted by various media outlets.”

Murphy’s campaign quickly released a statement where the Florida Democrat accepted the request and then immediately hammered Rubio for saying he can’t commit to serving an entire six-year term.

“His ‘challenge’ today is nothing more than a desperate attempt to try and change the campaign narrative from the fact that he abandoned Florida,” Murphy said. “I have a counter challenge: Senator Rubio, commit to serving a six-year term.”

"Clearly, Marco Rubio doesn't understand that campaigning and debating isn't governing. Floridians deserve better than Marco Rubio, and that difference will be on display in the upcoming debates, including the Leadership Florida debate on October 26.”

In an interview earlier this week with CNN, Rubio would not commit to serving his full, six-year term if re-elected. “No one can make that commitment because you don’t know what the future’s gonna hold in your life personally or politically,” he said.

Florida’s Senate race will likely be pivotal in determining which party controls the upper chamber next year.

Why the fuck would Rubio challenge Murphy to any debates, let alone six, when his biggest advantage at this stage is his name recognition. Seriously, even if Rubio just wipes the floor with Murphy, six debates is insane and all they will do is help elevate Murphy's name recognition and help solidify his support amongst Democrats.

So in other news, Rubio did this stupid move:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/293928-rubio-challenges-murphy-to-six-debates

Why the fuck would Rubio challenge Murphy to any debates, let alone six, when his biggest advantage at this stage is his name recognition. Seriously, even if Rubio just wipes the floor with Murphy, six debates is insane and all they will do is help elevate Murphy's name recognition and help solidify his support amongst Democrats.

He wants the practice for 2020?

But, on the approval thing...I think it's probably a combination of things.

1) Her previous numbers in that poll were directly post convention. It inflated them a bit.
2) Could just be a bit of an odd sample, because there's been nothing in the race that would impact her numbers among Hispanic voters by 20 or more points.
3) People are fed up with the tone of the race as set by the Trump campaign, and she gets sucked down into it simply because she's the one running.

Also, we just got a phone call from the 7 year olds teacher, because he called her "Crooked like Hillary"

So that was fun.

Crocodile

Seriously. I'm surprised more of y'all don't have ulcers and shit the way y'all can sometimes Diabolos. Not that discussion or critique of any candidate is bad but just sometimes y'all need to chill or stop worrying about shit that realistically doesn't matter.

Not doing press conferences reinforces the views that Hillary has something to hide, is not honest, is not transparent, etc. Ironically if she actually did a press conference she'd reinforce those same views by dodging simple questions. It's a lose lose.

Laying low and letting Trump hang himself remains the best option.

royalan

Seriously. I'm surprised more of y'all don't have ulcers and shit the way y'all can sometimes Diabolos. Not that discussion or critique of any candidate is bad but just sometimes y'all need to chill or stop worrying about shit that realistically doesn't matter.

Isn't that exactly what's happening? Can somebody spell out the difference for me because I honestly don't know anymore. It seems to have become a catch-all insult.

I mean, even as I'm criticizing her here I'm defending her in the OT thread on this very subject.

Boke1879

Not doing press conferences reinforces the views that Hillary has something to hide, is not honest, is not transparent, etc. Ironically if she actually did a press conference she'd reinforce those same views by dodging simple questions. It's a lose lose.

Pretty much. She's going to look untrustworthy and dishonest no matter what.

She just needs to keep rallies, raising money, prepping B for debates etc.

NeoXChaos

Updated Thread Assignment.

PolIGAF 2016 Electoral College and Popular Vote Sweepstakes
August 1st 2016 - September 5th, 2016

PoliGAF 2016 House and Senate Election Sweepstakes
September 6th, 2016 - September 19th, 2016

September 26th, 2016
1st Presidential Debate-b-dubs
October 4th, 2016
Vice Presidential Debate-pigeon
October 9th, 2016
2nd Presidential Debate-Paskil
October 19th, 2016
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes
November 8th, 2016
United States General Election-Aaron Strife

January 20th, 2017
Inauguration Day 2017 - TBD after November 8th.

studyguy

Not particularly worried about the lack of press conferences this close to the debates, the people hollering about it will have plenty to discuss post debate. That alone should be enough exposure to wash over those who want to drive the narrative against her.

Whatever man, just not about wetting that bed any longer on unfavorables.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Thank the gods for Trump, folks.

Yep. 2018/2020 is shaping up to be a shellshock though. If I remember correctly 2018 is a rough year for Dems Senate wise. But man, we'd probably be screwed if Rubot or Bush or almost anyone else had won.

At least by then the Supreme Court will be locked down

Edit: not only that but she'll have 4 years under her belt as President. People will change their perception by that point.

Usually being president drops people's approval ratings, not increases them IIRC.

Yep. Honestly until the debates I don't see much shaking up the race. Outside a late Sept / Oct surprise (like the Romney video); it's a matter of "not messing it up".

For winning the election - but I do wonder what consequences that has for down-ticket races and / or actually governing.

Isn't that exactly what's happening? Can somebody spell out the difference for me because I honestly don't know anymore. It seems to have become a catch-all insult.

I mean, even as I'm criticizing her here I'm defending her in the OT thread on this very subject.

Like I said in this subject before, it's fine to criticize from reason, but people are just going, "People are mad about the press conferences!" and they're not backing that up at all. Who is mad? Journalists? Who cares?

There's zero difference between these vague statements and "Hillary isaliar and should be in jail!" Both are statements without any evidence whatsoever, and I've gotten to the point where I'm just scrolling this thread until I see some links. Otherwise I don't even read the posts anymore.

Crocodile

To be more specific, I'm not sure twisting and turning about # of press conferences is really an interesting discussion or worthy of real concern because I'm not convinced many people actually give a shit and because it seems like a lose-lose scenario regardless of the # she has. Like I dunno, I can't say I feel particularly concerned enough about this one poll to say anything? I'm not doubting the results - I just feels it tells me more that the voting public sucks than Clinton was dumb for not trying to hog more spotlight when Trump was busy setting himself on fire every other day earlier this month.

I feel like I'm just in a state of "this country and the people who live in it fucking suck if 40% or so think Trump deserves to be president". It's left me a bit numb to be honest. Like lack of transparency with e-mail usage or potential conflicts of interest with the Foundation (though nothing actually shady went down and the Foundation does a shit-ton of good work) are fair to bring up but like the other side is literally a white nationalist moron who shouldn't be trusted with the nuclear codes. Like how is there still a conversation left? Fuck "both sides" bullshit.

thebloo

But man, we'd probably be screwed if Rubot or Bush or almost anyone else had won.

I reject this notion. You're talking about the ideal version of those candidates vs current Hillary. How in the hell would Bush win with O'Malley level of support? Rubio bombs everytime he gets close to a microphone.

It would have been a very different race, clearly. But i don't think anybody would have surely won it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The only thing to Diablos about now is actual, functional policy changes and action that Clinton can make with yet another loose cannon congress.

-- Can it pass a fucking budget?
-- Can it confirm administration appointments?
-- Can it find any common ground on immigration at all?
-- Can it fix the loose ends of Obamacare and / or work toward single payer?
-- Can it legislate nationwide police reform?
-- Can it alleviate the ever growing student loan crisis?

Answers: lol, lol, LOL, smfh, never, and lololol.

If you want to diablos right now, diablos over this: We're staring down the barrel of another 8 years of recess appointments, house gridlock, and executive actions. All of which will be blamed on Hillary. Which of course makes all of the above that much worse.

And just wait until there's an actual crisis requiring military action. SMFH.

IronRinn

Sorry to just jump in here at random, but I saw this and didn't think it deserved its own thread:

Racist trolls of 8chan are driving traffic to Donald Trump's website

The SimilarWeb traffic data shows that from February through July, 8chan was the ninth-largest source of referral traffic for Trump's website, clocking in at about 2.3 percent of all such traffic. This puts it just below Breitbart.com (whose CEO is now Trump's campaign chief) and a few places above the Washington Post and New York Times.

By comparison, SimilarWeb data shows Hillary Clinton's top five referrers include CNN, hillaryspeeches.com, the Drudge Report and the video gaming forum NeoGAF.
Apologies if already posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom