• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanGy.nz

Banned
All these polls showing Hilary and Trump in a virtual tie have me scared shitless. However, I remember how fucked he was in states Cruz had a strong ground game. Hillary has a strong(er than Trump) ground game in the states that count. That's the only thing giving me a bit of hope.

Don't panic about the polls just yet, if we're still in a 'virtual tie' by the second debate than you can panic.

Don't panic. Vote.

mo60

watching a couple bad polls for colorado coming in isn't fun. maine's 2nd district seems to be 100% lost, which is just sad. i don't think she'll make it up with omaha either. at this rate, i think she needs nv or nc as insurance. the latter seems to be surprisingly more solid.

If she gets a big enough national vote lead again I think she will win nebraska's second district. The same with Maine's second district probably.

Honestly, I'm not bothered at all with the idea of moderators not calling out the candidates. Yes, in one sense it kind of sucks, but in another sense it's probably preferable since this will allow Hillary free reign to call out Trump. And this also has the added benefit of benefiting Hillary by not having the idiot moderator press her on why she lied to the America people about Benghazi/her emails.
We don't want her wasting all of her time fact checking either. The mod should be impartial but if Trump claims he didn't say something or doesn't recall saying it should be fact checked. (Same goes for Hillary obviously, but Trump is more likely to do this).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember Trump is his own worst enemy. He doesn't have his handlers up there with him tomorrow, and he's going to say a bunch of stupid shit that will remind everyone why he is a terrible choice.

CompensaTED

Cruz profited off Trump well before endorsing him

CtPrdAbXgAAxWfW.jpg

Honestly, I'm not bothered at all with the idea of moderators not calling out the candidates. Yes, in one sense it kind of sucks, but in another sense it's probably preferable since this will allow Hillary free reign to call out Trump. And this also has the added benefit of benefiting Hillary by not having the idiot moderator press her on why she lied to the America people about Benghazi/her emails.
What if Trump looks at the camera and says, "look, do you trust me or lyin crooked Hillary? I'm not a politician!! SHES LYIN. LYINNN"

Moderates almost never fact check, this is nothing new. The hand wringing over this I've seen on twitter today is just another example of liberals crying like they're losing. I really don't get this mentality. Trump is going to lie, a lot. Hillary is going to tell some lies too. It'll be up to the American people (and unfortunately the media) to make their own opinions. Trump's lies are pretty predictable and obvious so I'm not worried about that.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which Trump doesn't implode once or twice during the debate. And it won't have anything to do with fact checks or lies or anything else, it'll be Trump being Trump.

What if Trump looks at the camera and says, "look, do you trust me or lyin crooked Hillary? I'm not a politician!! SHES LYIN. LYINNN"

At the end of the day, the American people will believe that shit or they won't.

Moderates almost never fact check, this is nothing new. The hand wringing over this I've seen on twitter today is just another example of liberals crying like they're losing. I really don't get this mentality. Trump is going to lie, a lot. Hillary is going to tell some lies too. It'll be up to the American people (and unfortunately the media) to make their own opinions. Trump's lies are pretty predictable and obvious so I'm not worried about that.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which Trump doesn't implode once or twice during the debate. And it won't have anything to do with fact checks or lies or anything else, it'll be Trump being Trump.

Agreed. A moderator's job is to make space for rebuttals. As long as they do that, it's fine.

I don't get the crys for the media to interject itself. American's already have disdain for the media. The media has lower favorables than either Clinton or Trump. Why would people even listen to them if they fact checked?

It seems to me like the new batch of polls contracted Hillary's lead for seemingly no reason whatsoever, which is fairly frustrating considering cable news is gonna talk up the DEAD HEAT!!!!!!! narrative all day tomorrow.

Effect

Y'all are a mess.I think some should start pre-drinking now to make it through tomorrow alive.

I rarely drink during the week but tomorrow is likely going to be an exception. I have days off I can take and likely will be taking one Tuesday if I end up drinking to much. Not out of things going bad but just to get me through this madness.

It seems to me like the new batch of polls contracted Hillary's lead for seemingly no reason whatsoever, which is fairly frustrating considering cable news is gonna talk up the DEAD HEAT!!!!!!! narrative all day tomorrow.

I'm glad we went out on a somewhat positive note with those YouGov polls, though.

That's good imo. Sets up higher expectations for Trump.

Pretty much I just want this election to be over so I know whether or not I should continue to pretend to be in the closet or feel like maybe it's not so crucial to stay in it.

Joeytj

Banned
I don't see a lot of mystery in the polls being narrower this weekend. Hillary's been lff the trail a bit and the NC protest and NCY bombs probably rattled some voters.

And overall, I think most voters still haven't paid attention to the election outside of Hillary's pneumonia recently. My brother's 24 year-old GF just asked me "doesn't Hillary have pneumonia?"

User1608

Banned
After 15+ months, I am certainly a bit anxious and worse for wear. I won't ever forget the rapists, drug dealer and murderers speech even though Trump directed them at Mexicans because in the end he's targeting each and every immigrant anyway. I can admit I've developed an unhealthy hatred of the man. But you know, I'm also very confident, having rewatched Hillary's past debates that tomorrow will go well enough and that everything will be okay in the end.

It's a numbing feeling to be worried about one's admittedly shaky future, but I still am also very optimistic, and it's been really great being a part of poligaf for a over a year now.

Blader

I don't see a lot of mystery in the polls being narrower this weekend. Hillary's been lff the trail a bit and the NC protest and NCY bombs probably rattled some voters.

And overall, I think most voters still haven't paid attention to the election outside of Hillary's pneumonia recently. My brother's 24 year-old GF just asked me "doesn't Hillary have pneumonia?"

That things like this have any bearing on the polls is truly beyond me.

"Who would you vote for as president of the United States?"
"Well, I was leaning Hillary, but I haven't seen her in a couple days, so I guess Trump now."

Like, what the fuck? Who are these people that are jumping ship between one or the other based on how often they see them on a weekly basis?

Debirudog

My Ohioan bff is nervous and is worried Trump would actually be prepared. I'm a little worried too but I'm hoping for the best that Clinton crushes Trump.

Why is "people being driven to vote for Trump by PC police" a take that gets respected for even a second.

Millennials and the college educated and college professors (the only people that could possibly be exposed to college political correctness) HATE Trump. He even loses young white people and white people with degrees.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Trump just needs to bring A+ media bites, and hope that they can drown out any policy wins from Clinton.

No one will be focusing on Hillary's policies or who 'won' the debate come Tuesday if Donald Trump has strong attacks on Hillary's character.

kess

That things like this have any bearing on the polls is truly beyond me.

"Who would you vote for as president of the United States?"
"Well, I was leaning Hillary, but I haven't seen her in a couple days, so I guess Trump now."

Like, what the fuck? Who are these people that are jumping ship between one or the other based on how often they see them on a weekly basis?

The "critical undecided voter"

ApQQET7.gif

But Trump is worse than Bill?!

All these polls showing Hilary and Trump in a virtual tie have me scared shitless. However, I remember how fucked Trump was in states Cruz had a strong ground game. Hillary has a strong(er than Trump) ground game in the states that count. That's the only thing giving me a bit of hope.
Does Primary voting enthusiasm track with general election enthusiasm? Everything I'm hearing is that Trump's voters are more enthusiastic for the general.

Hillary's messaging baffles me. Mark Cuban saying that Trump's not really wealthy will have no effect on the people voting for him. There's that weird psychological tendency for people to hold more firmly to their original position the more evidence mounts up that their position is wrong.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Trump just needs to bring A+ media bites, and hope that they can drown out any policy wins from Clinton.

No one will be focusing on Hillary's policies or who 'won' the debate come Tuesday if Donald Trump has strong attacks on Hillary's character.

There is plenty of ammo for Hillary to hurl back at Trump. I honestly think she will crush him. I only worry about the media and how they portray the results.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Does Primary voting enthusiasm track with general election enthusiasm? Everything I'm hearing is that Trump's voters are more enthusiastic for the general.

Hillary's messaging baffles me. Mark Cuban saying that Trump's not really wealthy will have no effect on the people voting for him. There's that weird psychological tendency for people to hold more firmly to their original position the more evidence mounts up that their position is wrong.

Enthusiasm could be a factor but Cruz won states Trump was waaaaay ahead in (polling wise). All thanks to a good ground game.

mo60

I just remembered that ME-2 has a prety high somali population. It's likely that trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric directed at somali's and muslims in general will drive them to vote for hilary in large numbers to prevent trump from winning that congressional district.

iammeiam

There is plenty of ammo for Hillary to hurl back at Trump. I honestly think she will crush him. I only worry about the media and how they portray the results.

The problem I see with Trump is he refuses to be restrained by reality or credibility, and if the moderator goes all-in on not fact checking, it's just going to be Trump making shit up every time he gets to speak, Clinton calling him a liar, and him saying nuh-uh where are your emails?

If she can back him in to a corner, I think she wins, but if he spends the entire time just bullshitting and shifting position it gets awkward because I think she will let reality dictate her responses which puts her at a disadvantage. She's already got 'trust' issues, while Trump's base will let him say anything because he doesn't mean it, just wants to get elected.

I'm hoping his ego pushes him to self-destruct, but at this point I have no idea what to expect because I feel like the entire debate setup relies on a baseline level of respect for the process Trump actively refuses to have.

Iolo

I just remembered that ME-2 has a prety high somali population. It's likely that trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric directed at somali's and muslims in general will drive them to vote for hilary in large numbers to prevent trump from winning that congressional district.

Enough to overcome a 10 point deficit? I doubt that unless Trump collapses.

Most people watching these debates have not seen him speak at length without a promoter. His completely unfollowable steam of consciousness is going to turn people off.

mo60

Enough to overcome a 10 point deficit? I doubt that unless Trump collapses.

I highly doubt trump is leading by 10 points right now in ME-2. More like 2-7 points. If hilary's lead in national polls start to expand again I expect that demographic to carry her enough to win that congressional district.

Also guys Hillary's literally been waiting her entire life to debate a Republican presidential candidate. I'm not worried about her.

I told you this!

Dierce

Also guys Hillary's literally been waiting her entire life to debate a Republican presidential candidate. I'm not worried about her.

I told you this!

Not to mention Clinton is actually a lawyer and orange turd is an ignorant incomprehensible idiot. But sadly the debate will not focus on substance but headlining two liners.

Zips

I have two concerns for Trump in the debate(s):

1. He manages to lie and lie, and uses vagueries without anyone effectively calling him out on it and shutting him down.

2. His team will have prepared him to have a few curveballs at least, like actually being able to describe something resembling a couple specific policies. All he would need for his target audience is for them to sound sufficiently plausible and functional on a surface level. People already considering voting for him could hear these things, and be pleased by him sounding more moderate, and feel more confident that he's not so bad after all.

Trump's resurgence has all been about getting people to forget about how absolutely terrible he is, so I feel like all he has to do going in is not say something even R-inclined moderates would have to find disgustingly offensive, and throw out a few policy-sounding things. The pseudo-policies could have little to no basis in reality and have deep flaws just below the surface, but people won't pay much attention to that if it requires going past surface level thinking. Hell, Trump could even say things he has no intention of ever passing, and it would fit right into his established behaviour.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Debate thread's up. I spent the last week debating on whether or not I should go with my original plan or not. Given the poll numbers I didn't want to jinx it, so go get drunk tomorrow. I know I will be.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember Trump is his own worst enemy. He doesn't have his handlers up there with him tomorrow, and he's going to say a bunch of stupid shit that will remind everyone why he is a terrible choice.

Yeah, the CiC forum thing was a disaster for him, and Hillary was basically just rehashing the email stuff again.

My only issue with it is covered by Technomancer's (I think?) question a few pages ago: What's the point in getting journalists like AC to moderate these things if the moderator is just reading a list of pre-written questions? Kim Kardashian could do that too. A fourth grader could do that.

I don't see why you need someone with knowledge of politics to moderate these things if you aren't going to use them for anything other than a text-to-voice service. Put an electronic answering machine on it if that's the plan.

Retro

2. His team will have prepared him to have a few curveballs at least, like actually being able to describe something resembling a couple specific policies. All he would need for his target audience is for them to sound sufficiently plausible and functional on a surface level. People already considering voting for him could hear these things, and be pleased by him sounding more moderate, and feel more confident that he's not so bad after all.

I have zero doubt in my mind that Trump's debate prep, aside from the hours spent housebreaking him, has been spent teaching him just enough on policy to be either technically correct or sound correct but only if you're barely paying attention (which I'm sure applies to just about everyone watching). Glib answers to every policy question, zero elaboration if pressed. Looking like he has some idea of what he's talking about is about as curvy as his pitches are going to get because they can't possibly teach him the policy he needs to know to go beyond that. His responses will have zero nuance, and I suspect we'll see him basically grinding along on his verbal crutches ("It's gonna be good / great", "believe me") like training wheels the whole night. Very few "gotcha" moments based on fact, plenty of them based on appeals to the audience or the lowest common denominator.

Like we'd said many times, all he has to do is not call her a bitch and he'll be seen as presidential. If he acts like he did in the primary? I don't see how it doesn't explode in his face. But there's no way he gets up there and gives any answer that isn't 90% bullshit.

Emarv

It's times like these that I remember that Donald Fucking Trump is actually the Republican Nominee. Like, take a step back and remember the fact that Donald Fucking Trump is going to be debating in a real life Presidential Debate tomorrow.

Like seriously, WTF?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have zero doubt in my mind that Trump's debate prep, aside from the hours spent housebreaking him, has been spent teaching him just enough on policy to be either technically correct or sound correct but only if you're barely paying attention (which I'm sure applies to just about everyone watching). Glib answers to every policy question, zero elaboration if pressed. Looking like he has some idea of what he's talking about is about as curvy as his pitches are going to get because they can't possibly teach him the policy he needs to know to go beyond that. I suspect we'll see him basically grinding along on his verbal crutches ("It's gonna be good / great", "believe me") like training wheels the whole night. Very few "gotcha" moments based on fact, plenty of them based on appeals to the audience or the lowest common denominator.

Like we'd said many times, all he has to do is not call her a bitch and he'll be seen as presidential. If he acts like he did in the primary? I don't see how it doesn't explode in his face.

I'm not sure he can keep all that straight for 90 minutes. He's got the attention span of a dog that just saw a squirrel.

User1608

Banned
It's times like these that I remember that Donald Fucking Trump is actually the Republican Nominee. Like, take a step back and remember the fact that Donald Fucking Trump is going to be debating in a real life Presidential Debate tomorrow.

Like seriously, WTF?
I know. Truly horrifying, isn't it?

Debirudog

I'm not sure he can keep all that straight for 90 minutes. He's got the attention span of a dog that just saw a squirrel.

Well, he just has to bear it through 20-25 minutes and then he can let loose. But then his horrible personality would probably stand out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, he just has to bear it through 20-25 minutes and then he can let loose. But then his horrible personality would probably stand out.

Not really, there's no breaks. This is the show, if he lets lose after half an hour that's going to be the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom