• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

The expectations for him are so ludicrously low, and so high for Hillary, that normally a "debate flop" in any other year would probably mean almost nothing to him this year. He's constantly selling a narrative to his followers about unfair media and rigged debates. It only counts if he "wins".

He's running behind Hillary just about everywhere that counts, and his demographics are worse than Romney or McCain ever were. He can sell that narrative to his followers and declare himself the King of Debates all he wants but he's got to make gains somewhere. The debates are a much wider audience and he needs to look presidential to the people he needs, college educated whites (since it's a foregone conclusion he won't pick up any minority groups). For that to happen he has to keep his dick in his pants (I shouldn't have to say so, but I mean both figuratively AND literally) and look at least slightly respectable. That's the only way he really wins anything tomorrow night, regardless of who he or the pundits declare the victor.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Are the undecided numbers that much higher than normal? I've not seen it spelled out compared to past elections.

I just don't see more than half of those undecided voters going Trump, and it's my current goto theory of why the polling is fucked.

Joeytj

Banned
How quick should we expect reputable poll numbers that take into account the debate performances?

It won't be until Thursday or Friday. Wednesday we'll see some polls that include Monday night, but the full effects won't be felt until Thursday, at the earliest.

Friday to be sure, although most of us will know right away if the debate helped Clinton or not and we'll see instant polls about "who won" or live focus groups, etc.

The Skull Kid is the federal government's institutional levers of power, Majora's Mask is the entire Republican Party, and if you need to know who the Moon is then I probably want to punch you.

thebloo

That really depends on which averages you consider. Because Florida is one place where Trump leads in some averages or Clinton in others.

I'm looking at 538 Florida. Not to beat a dead horse, but... everything is adjusted towards Trump. Even if the pollsters (like PPP or Siena) are marked as slight R biased pollsters.

And with all of that, he's only leading by 0.8%. HuffPollster has her up ~2%.

AniHawk

I'm looking at 538 Florida. Not to beat a dead horse, but... everything is adjusted towards Trump. Even if the pollsters (like PPP or Siena) are marked as slight R biased pollsters.

And with all of that, he's only leading by 0.8%. HuffPollster has her up ~2%.

did months of handwaving trump's success away during the primaries just break nate silver? it seems like he's going out of his way to show things positively for trump just because he doesn't want to be wrong again.

Guys, do you have a link where I can follow the debate tmr/tonight, from France ?
It's streaming literally everywhere:
Facebook will exclusively carry ABC News’ live coverage of the debate, while other media are also expected to use Facebook Live to stream reports from the event. On YouTube, the debate will be live-streamed from PBS, Telemundo and the Washington Post.

Twitter will stream Bloomberg TV‘s coverage at debates.twitter.com, including pre- and post-debate segments. Roku users can stream the debate via apps for ABC News, Bloomberg TV, CBS News, NewsOn, and CNNgo (participating pay-TV subscription required).

Other websites and internet platforms featuring debate live streams include: ABC News, BuzzFeed News, CBS News, CNN, C-SPAN, Daily Caller, Fox News, Fox Business News, Hulu, Huffington Post, NBC News, PBS, Politico, Telemundo,Wall Street Journal, Univision and Yahoo.

thebloo

did months of handwaving trump's success away during the primaries just break nate silver? it seems like he's going out of his way to show things positively for trump just because he doesn't want to be wrong again.

I really don't know. Punditry wise, he can do whatever he wants. But I just don't get the adjustments.

6/10 latest FL polls are adjusted 1 or 2 points towards Trump.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Almost all the adjustment comes from trendline weighting, which means it will disappear after ~2 weeks of good Clinton polling. It probably would have shown Florida flipping to Clinton by the end of this week looking at how events are going. When you use trendlines, you necessarily introduce a little lag into your model because you can't use today's trend because you don't know what today's trend is without knowing tomorrow's data point. His adjustments towards Trump are just a hangover from Clinton's bad polling week.

thebloo

When she sees male politicians “pounding the message, and screaming about how we need to win the election . . . I want to do the same thing. Because I care about this stuff. But I’ve learned that I can’t be quite so passionate in my presentation. I love to wave my arms, but apparently that’s a little bit scary to people. And I can’t yell too much. It comes across as ‘too loud’ or ‘too shrill’ or ‘too this’ or ‘too that.’ ”

I'm sure millions of women can relate.

Thanks, Crab. Makes sense

The other article I read earlier also says that the terrible Google thing is weighted heavily though because of sample size.

And if what another poster earlier wrote about the trend adjustment is correct it seems kind of... dumb.

Anyway I am curious how Trump's incoherent rambling plays. Maybe they'll medicate him.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Poligaf, are you a Bed Wetter (Hillary pessimist) or a Wet Dreamer (Hillary optimist) in regard to the debate?

New national Bloomberg poll.

-1x-1.png

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ouch, and that's a Selzer, too

ONLY ONE POLL THO

but ouch

I'm glad the debates are happening, really, or you feel like the media narrative would be "Clinton sinking / troubled presidential campaign / etc.". As it is, a good performance and the ship'll be righted with all this behind us.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is it based on the same principles as the Ohio poll? Electorate similar to 2004?

No. It just uses "definitely vote" as the LV screen. I've talked about this before, and that's a mildly Dem-leaning screen. The main shift seems to be coming from falling enthusiasm amongst younger voters and minorities again, and a poor showing amongst women (so I'd guess something going on with young women?).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's the demographics before weighting, see:

These final questions are asked just to see what cross-section of U.S. voters we are interviewing.

That means that's before both weighting and the LV filter; Selzer are only asking it to see how good their contact techniques are - an unbiased contact method should have all demographics within the MoE of the population, which is indeed the case here. It doesn't have a bearing on the poll itself, other than that heavily weighted samples (because they were undersampled originally) will have a correspondingly larger MoE.

Demographics.
The M/F split is completely off. The last time there was close to equal M/W was in 1980. That would be a 6 point swing towards men in an election with the first female nominee of a major political party. Those non white numbers seem a bit off too, but you know, we've seen that in polling a lot lately.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
adam's post is why people need to read my post.

EDIT: To be more precise, every pollster wants their unweighted contact sample's demographics to look the same as the demographics of the electorate, *not likely voters*. If it doesn't, it means your contact method is missing out a particular niche, which could affect the accuracy of the poll. So every pollster's *unweighted* sample should be pretty close to White 72, Black 13, Hispanic 11, Asian 2 etc. If you had a result like White 75, Black 14, Hispanic 8, Asian 2, you'd know you were probably missing out on a portion of Hispanic voters in some way - probably because you only poll in English and they only answer in Spanish - and that means even if you reweight the poll, it won't be accurate because a demographic isn't being contacted properly. Spanish-speaking Hispanics vote differently as a group to English-speaking ones, so your exclusion of them introduces a bias to your result.

However, Selzer's demographics are basically bang on; all within the MoE. So that means their contact methods are good. Then they apply likely voters screens and so on. Because women are more likely to vote than men, this is where the expected gender split should appear - NOT in the original unweighted sample because women are an equal portion of the electorate itself; they're only an outsized portion of likely voters.

adam's post is why people need to read my post.
As a policy, I try not to.
Kidding! :p
.I hadn't yet taken a look inside the poll. I would still like to see their crosstabs, and I hate when pollsters don't release them.
That Bill Clinton will likely have an influence on her decisions if she is elected

That question doesn't sit well with me. It really, really doesn't.

Brinbe

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best... Realistically, knowing the media/expectations on Trump/etc, I expect HRC to have a pretty good debate performance like she always has, but still come away feeling pissed about the media reaction 24 hours from now.

Trump +1 in Colorado, Clinton +1 in PA

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/26/p...linton-colorado-pennsylvania-polls/index.html

Just one point separates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in two states that are critical to both candidates' chances of becoming president, according to new CNN/ORC polls in Pennsylvania and Colorado.

In Colorado, likely voters break 42% for Trump, 41% for Clinton, 13% for Libertarian Gary Johnson and 3% for Green Party candidate Jill Stein. Pennsylvania's likely voters split 45% for Clinton, 44% for Trump, 6% for Johnson and 3% for Stein. Those divides are well within each poll's 3.5-point margin of sampling error.
The new results in two battleground states underscore the closeness of the race and come as the candidates prepare to square off Monday night in their high-stakes first debate at Long Island's Hofstra University.

Clinton +6 4-way, +10 H2H in Virginia, Wason Center poll

BadRNG

However, Pentagon sources say that on October 1st, immediately after the end of the US corporations’ fiscal year, a new gold backed currency and possibly an entirely unexpected new leader (possibly Canada’s Justin Trudeau), will be announced.

Honestly, Canada taking over the US is not the worst outcome that could happen this election.

am I on a list now for reading that

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Trump's figures amongst whites without college degrees are incredible. He's regularly creeping over the 70% margin now. That Colorado poll is some spooky business.

thebloo

Trump's figures amongst whites without college degrees are incredible. He's regularly creeping over the 70% margin now. That Colorado poll is some spooky business.

The margins are expected. The enthusiasm of the group, however, is incredible. And a bit scary.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Welp, another one confirming the blown lead in Colorado and tight race in PA. Here's hoping she wins the debates.

48% of respondents were independents. That seems high, but who knows. Good news there is that Johnson has 13%, and that will most likely drop.

Hillary's trustworthy numbers are tanking her campaign. She is fine with most categories.

Trying not to get too involved in the election and poll numbers, but looking at the current situation...damn, how did it get so bad so quick?

Sometimes I don't understand the volatility of the voting populace or the polling. How do such swings between both candidates still exist?

Anyway. I'm still hoping this is a low point for Hillary, but I'm preparing for the worst. This year has proven that xenophobia and nationalism is the new hip thing in the Western world, so President Trump is within the realm of posibilities if the polls are close.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The margins are expected. The enthusiasm of the group, however, is incredible. And a bit scary.

Honestly, even the margins aren't that expected. Nobody has ever won that group by that much in postwar American history.

As late as 1980's demographics, Trump would have won a 50 state sweep. That's... terrifying.

EDIT: In fact, looking closely, it'd have been enough as late as '92 maybe - hard to tell, but New York might have held out.

National polls out today show a tightening, YouGov, Bloomberg, Boston Herald.

And she ain't no Obama in terms of enthusiasm.

Although CNN/ORC has a big problem sampling people under 50.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
National polls out today show a tightening, YouGov, Bloomberg, Boston Herald.

And she ain't no Obama in terms of enthusiasm.

Although CNN/ORC has a big problem sampling people under 50.

But she will have Obama out there and on the airwaves supporting her. He needs to get the message across that she is trustworthy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CNN/ORC doesn't really bug me but the fact they're tied in the Bloomberg H2H is ugly. Big expectations for tonight!

CNN/ORC has pretty routinely been the most Trump tilted major poll I think. Unless you count the LAT. lol.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how you run a poll in Pennsylvania, but can't get an adequate sample out of Philadelphia? The fact that they couldn't explains how they couldn't get a decent non-white sample too.

I can't quite get my head around losing whites by 9, but only being up 1 in PA. Obama lost whites by 15 in 2012. She's also winning white women in that poll, something Obama didn't do in 2012.

Brinbe

I think it's probably time to start worrying quite a bit... Time is running out to make a difference other than through the debates. If we're being honest, September was a complete and utter waste after sitting out much of August after the successful convention. The campaign blew that lead and even after all those Trump fuckups and even after all those stupid comments/controversies, he's only slightly behind or even outright leading now.

Not saying to panic, but we got a tight toss-up race on our hands now. These state polls say as much. We can only hope that having that on-the-ground infrastructure advantage can shift a point or two in HRC's direction come election day.

And let's say Trump gains an advantage through tonight's debates or even subsequent debates, what then? The campaign needs to be impeccably on-the-ball from here on to November. The tide has turned and they have yet to blunt his building wave over the past few months since the disposal of Manafort.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the independent candidates are finally dropping. I'm a little surprised that seems to benefit Trump given that previously it looked like they were drawing mostly from Clinton.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think the independent candidates are finally dropping. I'm a little surprised that seems to benefit Trump given that previously it looked like they were drawing mostly from Clinton.

I think it's pretty plausible that Republicans voting Libertarian were just there for the moral high ground, and are keener to return under cover of the secret ballot, whereas Democrats voting Libertarian are innate 'fuck the system' voters who won't leave come hell or high water. That explains why Johnson draws more from Clinton when provided, but why his dips mostly go Trumpwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom