• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

I think the angle of where Hill seems to repeatedly attack not just Trump but also his supporters, regardless of how she segments them off, has not worked at all.

It's a bad attack plan and she needs to change it.

Diablos

Hillary has to win or at least tie with Trump this evening. I would argue that this first debate is far more important than Obama's at this point in 2012, because the second debate is town hall, and that is a setting that definitely does not play to Hillary strengths and I could really see Trump winning that one based on optics/perception alone. On the other hand, Obama does really good in that kind of format, whereas Romney looked like a moron. Clinton won't have that luxury to turn around a disastrous first debate and no one cares as much about the third one. Tonight is so crucial for her.

thefro

Hillary has to win or at least tie with Trump this evening. I would argue that this first debate is far more important than Obama's at this point in 2012, because the second debate is town hall, and that is a setting that definitely does not play to Hillary strengths and I could really see Trump winning that one based on optics/perception alone. On the other hand, Obama does really good in that kind of format, whereas Romney looked like a moron. Clinton won't have that luxury to turn around a disastrous first debate and no one cares as much about the third one. Tonight is so crucial for her.

Huh? Hillary constantly beat Obama in every town hall in the 2008 primary.

She's not as good as Bill Clinton but she's pretty good in that format.

Buddy, gonna disagree with you here. I think she needs a good night tonight, but that's true no matter what. But, she's not bad in Town Hall formats. That is, in fact, what her listening tours during the primary were all about. That's where she's pretty damn good. Trump managed to correct a veteran with PTSD in his last town hall. So, I'ma disagree with you there.

Diablos

Buddy, gonna disagree with you here. I think she needs a good night tonight, but that's true no matter what. But, she's not bad in Town Hall formats. That is, in fact, what her listening tours during the primary were all about. That's where she's pretty damn good. Trump managed to correct a veteran with PTSD in his last town hall. So, I'ma disagree with you there.

Trump is in "fight of his life" mode and I don't see him doing something that dumb again. He's not prepping like traditional candidates but he's likely done enough of his homework with Ailes et al.

Hillary is ok in that setting but I can see Trump capitalizing on speaking to the struggle of the working class and big socially conservative issues.

Conway on morning Joe right now concern trolling about tonight. They're calling her out on it a bit thankfully.

starmud

Being worried over Colorado (at this point) seems silly to me, I'm sure the final push will turn on after the first. I don't think she needs much to seal the deal and there hasn't been any real activity in the state from either side other than advertising off and on.

The worry states have been consistent and both play well for trumps demos; Iowa and Ohio... there's going to be others that will play close but the two listed look like actual challenges for her.

HylianTom

Banned
One thing I'm watching for, to gauge the campaign's confidence: will Obama jump in early, or possibly ratchet-up his planned appearances schedule?

While some people look at polls showing Trump +1 and see "oh my godddd we're dooomed" I look and see " holy crap, if Trump gets the most share of the white vote in 30 years, he still can only manage a +1!"

Diablos

Just give up on IA.

what I want to know regarding OH is: Is this a sign of a potential shift in the state's voting populace preference for what party to break for in the GE for Pres, or is it just Hillary being too unpopular there?

PBY

Banned
I'm very much against demonizing the "media"

24 hr cable has serious issues, but I do think they're legitimate. Once the media is delegitimized what do we have.

This is a major problem I believe the democrats have ignored for far too long. Everybody in the DNC focused on the increasing number of minorities in the country. However, with what the republicans have done to the lower- and middle-class over the past decades, the amount of uneducated whites is quite large. Democrats have not effectively reached out to this block of voters.

I have lived in rural areas most of my life. I have been around these people. Democrats have a tendency to believe these people will auotmatically vote for republicans, but that just isn't true. There are many who are willing to listen if the candidate would just reach out to their group a bit. The biggest problem I hear? "The democratic candidate seems like they talk down to us." Seriously--that is the most common complaint. That's why Obama won Indiana in 2008 and made slight inroads elsewhere--he didn't come off that way.

This is why I am really surprised Hillary hasn't hit on Trump's economic plans more. The 47% comment killed Romney's campaign.
This was the election where he said they cling to their guns and religion. I'm gonna eye roll this.

She has hit his economic plan. But lots of voters like racial resentment more it seens

samn

While some people look at polls showing Trump +1 and see "oh my godddd we're dooomed" I look and see " holy crap, if Trump gets the most share of the white vote in 30 years, he still can only manage a +1!"

It's not a question of 'if', the polls show he already has it. That's where we are.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck are young voters doing

And you just know Johnson 'independents' will break home at the voting booth

Sigh

It's not just young voters, it's minorities, too. Basically, the Obama coalition is looking at Clinton and going "is this the best the Democrats had?".

thebloo

Just give up on IA.

what I want to know regarding OH is: Is this a sign of a potential shift in the state's voting populace preference for what party to break for in the GE for Pres, or is it just Hillary being too unpopular there?

Both.

And no, they won't give up on IA.

codhand

onoz.gif~c200

Geg

For real though what is the deal with some of these polls? Like the only thing I can think of is he really was helped by the NY bombs and NC rioting.

Ecotic

I continue to think Hillary's bleed out is being caused by her relentless negative campaign against Trump while bit running any positive ads for herself.

Boke1879

I continue to think Hillary's bleed out is being caused by her relentless negative campaign against Trump while bit running any positive ads for herself.

I'd disagree here. She has plenty of positive ads out and when she's out speaking publicly she's very positive and pushes her message and policy

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Guys Trump has a ceiling. We've seen clinton higher. He's not gonna win the presidency with 42 percent of the vote.

There is no perot

I believe this started in here as "Trump's ceiling is 35," then moved to 40, now it is 42.

thebloo

My advice to Democrats, and I don't have to give this advice to Hillary Clinton because she already knows it, is you stay worried until all those votes are cast and counted because you know, one of the dangers in an election like this is that people don't take the challenge seriously.

B Rock.

Guys Trump has a ceiling. We've seen clinton higher. He's not gonna win the presidency with 42 percent of the vote.

There is no perot

I like this hopium posts. I need more :(

I am still pissed how the Clinton campaign bungled her huge ass lead.

samn

It should be incredibly comforting to people that a unprecedented land slide turnout for white people still results in Trump losing.

'Unprecedented' doesn't mean 'won't happen'. It's what's suggested by the polls.

It only results in Trump losing by a knife edge. A small change in the polls would put him on break even chances to win.

If you have to use this kind of twisted logic to make yourself feel comfortable Trump won't win then you should be very worried indeed.

Brinbe

To her credit I did see that Hillary children ad get some play. So there's that.

And Trump's ceiling is a bit higher now, I think. He's been hitting 45 and higher. Those Never-Trumpers have come home.
1LjGfhD.png

sk6R7IN.png

Assuming things break down like this, it comes down to CO/NH
NbKZU56.png

And this is a possibility
ctgOenz.png

She cannot lose PA/CO and needs to either get a red state like NC or overturn Trump's advantage in FL/OH/NV. We're definitely in a much different place than we were in mid-August.

Maledict

I'd disagree here. She has plenty of positive ads out and when she's out speaking publicly she's very positive and pushes her message and policy

Yep. We've even seen positive videos linked here. The problem is that the press only cares when she hits Trump. Positive stuff and policy is completely ignored.

As one podcast said recently, it's a mark of how bad this election is. In 2008 the release of each primary candidates health care plan was a *big* thing. In this election, the fact that one candidate has a ton of policy and the or there has 'build a wall' is just ignored. Trump is allowed to continually get away with giving completely gibberish answers when asked on policy, and his base doesn't care.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
everyone here was warned that this would be tight leading up the elections. our country is split mostly down the middle, no matter who is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom