• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
NORMAL PERSON: Hey, how was your weekend?

ME: I couldn't eat, sleep, or achieve an erection. Any semblance of a personality I once had has been muted entirely in favor of abject terror. I spent a lot of time looking at burial urns for myself. Even after the debate airs tonight, Monday, September 26th at 9:00 PM EST, it will likely do nothing to calm my nerves. I don't remember what it's like to not be afraid.

NORMAL PERSON: What debate?

[*The sound of a wailing baby, which haunts me at all times, grows louder in my subconscious. It becomes that much harder to hear my own thoughts.*]

NORMAL PERSON: Case of the Mondays, huh?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
independents for the last few years are just Republicans who don't want to admit it.

every time I've talked to a an "independent" for more than a few minutes they start showing their libertarian/Republican side. it's been like this since the tea party showed up i think.

I can't watch the debate because boss is having a work event tonight, noooooooooo lol.

Dierce

There is honestly nothing Clinton can do now. The media has already turned this debate into a metric for orange turd and has set the bar so low that he will inevitably excel it just for showing up. Fucking media defending the indefensible orange turd, he should not have never gotten this far in the first place if it wasn't for them.

Bunch of assholes caring more about ratings than handing the country to a ignorant madman...ugh I fucking can't stand to look at that fucking turds face or hear his whinny asshole voice. He represents all that is vile with humanity and those who support him are scum.

Dierce

I seriously don't even understand what has shifted the race this much in like a week.

Please dear lord Clinton crush him

My guess, because of that terrorist mother fucker. Orange turd has already set the seeds for expanding acceptance for fascist and xenophobic mentality and it is paying dividends. That mother fucker is a cancer for our society.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really a sudden, marked shift. It's been a long, slow drip-drip-drip of minorities and young people being less and less enthused by Clinton. The trend has been clear for weeks now, and the Clinton campaign has done very little to turn it around.

thebloo

This place is going to be completely unbearable, isn't it?

It's amusing. People think this is a place where the flaws of the Dems are ignored. And yeah, sometimes, we do that a bit. But most of the times, it's the complete opposite of a "safe space".

naavUSX.png

It's not really a sudden, marked shift. It's been a long, slow drip-drip-drip of minorities and young people being less and less enthused by Clinton. The trend has been clear for weeks now, and the Clinton campaign has done very little to turn it around.

Seriously. Their ad campaign sucks.

thefro

One other thing to keep in mind with the debate is that Trump supporters have pretty unrealistic expectations for Trump. The ones I talk to think he's going to destroy Clinton and she will have trouble standing up on stage for that long without collapsing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for 'bams to really hit the ground running. He's done relatively little so far, but with his approval ratings, especially amongst minority voters, he'll be a potent weapon. Whenever I get minorly worried, I just remember that they haven't brought out B-Rock the Islamic Shock.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Seriously. Their ad campaign sucks.

I've hated their ad campaigns for a while, every single one is about how shitty Trump is. we get it! it's time to brag about Hillary and what she's done for the past few decades, and what she will do as president.

people already know Trump is a pos, time to get them excited about you!

One other thing to keep in mind with the debate is that Trump supporters have pretty unrealistic expectations for Trump. The ones I talk to think he's going to destroy Clinton and she will have trouble standing up on stage for that long without collapsing.

She'll be fine in the debates, but I don't think it will convince Trump supporters to change their vote.

PBY

Banned
Not freaking

But y'all are in denial about CO.

And PA?

N Silver-
Last 6 polls in Colorado, supposed "safe" state for Clinton:
Trump +1
Trump +4
Clinton +1
Clinton +2
Clinton +7
Trump +4

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Exactly. I am somewhat stunned by the poor campaign being run by Clinton's team.

Leaving Colorado early was a mistake. Thankfully there is over a month left to turn that around.

Brinbe

I think the time for talking down about bedwetting/diablosing or whatever is over. This isn't June, this isn't August, this isn't wait till after Labor Day. We're a few weeks away, early voting is starting and we're on the eve of the first debate, which is heavily stacked against Hillary. We can't just start to worry and hope things change two or three weeks from now, because it'll be too late. She's had some good polling, he's had some good polling. But things have tightened up beyond the point of comfort.

Trump could legitimately win now if things continually break right for him (as they have for the past two months) and that's a completely frightening prospect. They gotta start making a move now because Trump may well win this if he continues unabated.

And this shouldn't just be a safe space for Clinton or her campaign free from criticism. if they've been fucking up, we should be able to voice that opinion. And I think they fucked up in August, hiding her away, and they didn't do near enough to make up for it in September.

They need to be flawless in October, regardless of the debates.

Pixieking

Banned
Not freaking

But y'all are in denial about CO.

And PA.

N Silver-
Last 6 polls in Colorado, supposed "safe" state for Clinton:
Trump +1
Trump +4
Clinton +1
Clinton +2
Clinton +7
Trump +4

So polling that shifts 11 points, between two candidates who are polar opposites of each-other? Some respondents are taking the piss, surely? Does anyone really believe that there's going to be that many people who move from voting for Hillary to voting for Trump? Sure, he'll get the Republican-leaning pro-lifers, but Hillary was never going to get them anyway, just like she'll get the minorities and LGBTQ voters that the Republicans were never going to get.

The Independents and No-Parties are the ones swaying it, and if they're shifting to Trump, then it's less what she's done wrong, and more Trump making their fear of the Other/racism/sexism an acceptable view for them to hold and vote on.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They tried to court never-Trumpers, and those people came home.

Enthuse. Your. Base.

Well, the Latino numbers for Clinton in recent state polls seem lower than what I would expect. They're just now starting their Latino outreach, so that can help.

I'm just so tired of Clinton's ads being "Trump is an untrustworthy, egomaniacal douche." Everybody knows this. His voters know it. Stop telling people what they know. Show them why you're the best for the job.

Pixieking said:
The Independents and No-Parties are the ones swaying it, and if they're shifting to Trump, then it's less what she's done wrong, and more Trump making their fear of the Other/racism/sexism an acceptable view.

I think this is much too general. There are plenty of reasons why this could be happening, one of the main ones being Hillary just hasn't shown why they should vote for her.

PBY

Banned
So polling that shifts 11 points, between two candidates who are polar opposites of each-other? Some respondents are taking the piss, surely? Does anyone really believe that there's going to be that many people who move from voting for Hillary to voting for Trump? Sure, he'll get the Republican-leaning pro-lifers, but Hillary was never going to get them anyway, just like she'll get the minorities that the Republican's were never going to get.

The Independents and No-Parties are the ones swaying it, and if they're shifting to Trump, then it's less what she's done wrong, and more Trump making their fear of the Other/racism/sexism an acceptable view.
Disbelieve this trend line at your own peril.

There's very clearly been a shift, those polls are all over the place bc polling has been very noisy the past month.

Diablos

Damn, Bloomberg went from +29 with young voters to only +10. She's continuing to have a problem with young voters.

Not sure what her campaign is doing tbh.

Clearly what's going on in CO is turning into a trend

Pixieking

Banned
I think this is much too general. There are plenty of reasons why this could be happening, one of the main ones being Hillary just hasn't shown why they should vote for her.

*nods* Definitely she should be running positive-spin adverts. But I cannot believe that voters are so dim-witted as to go "Hey, Hillary hasn't shown why I should vote for her, so I'll vote for the guy who has had affairs, criticised a Gold Star family, is a sexist, is anti-abortion, and is a pro gun-rights racist." The Venn Diagram for the two candidates voters shouldn't have that much cross-over.

Not to say it isn't happening, but I just cannot believe it. :/

Brinbe

Mnahp2e.png

G1CrNDH.png

And I agree, she needs to do a better job of enthusing her base right now. Especially young voters. I know they're gonna have Obama out there on the trail, but he can only do so much.

Kusagari

The difference in state polls seems to come down to one thing at this point. If Trump gets the number of uneducated whites he needs or not. In those CNN polls he does.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's unlikely she can convince young people to vote. I think she should switch to neoconservative and try and win the votes of white people. She should start by calling Obama the n word.

Plinko

The difference in state polls seems to come down to one thing at this point. If Trump gets the number of uneducated whites he needs or not. In those CNN polls he does.

This is a major problem I believe the democrats have ignored for far too long. Everybody in the DNC focused on the increasing number of minorities in the country. However, with what the republicans have done to the lower- and middle-class over the past decades, the amount of uneducated whites is quite large. Democrats have not effectively reached out to this block of voters.

I have lived in rural areas most of my life. I have been around these people. Democrats have a tendency to believe these people will auotmatically vote for republicans, but that just isn't true. There are many who are willing to listen if the candidate would just reach out to their group a bit. The biggest problem I hear? "The democratic candidate seems like they talk down to us." Seriously--that is the most common complaint. That's why Obama won Indiana in 2008 and made slight inroads elsewhere--he didn't come off that way.

This is why I am really surprised Hillary hasn't hit on Trump's economic plans more. The 47% comment killed Romney's campaign.

thebloo

For all the thrashing 538 gets, it kinda shows why they do things a certain way.

I use HuffPollster. Trump has led only 3 polls in CO of the ones they selected. 3.9% lead for Clinton right now.

Diablos

Tightening in PA, CO. Down in OH, IA (time to give up here), NV. It's just not good, I don't think you can spin it any other way.

I don't see Clinton losing here in PA though. People forget the strength of the eastern side of the state and seem to poll it wrong constantly.

Pulling money out of states like CO prematurely was so stupid. Really starting to wonder if her campaign has what it takes to turn this around.

Plinko

I'll just predict that it would have the same result if he did not post his findings.

With these polling shifts, I want to see if Michigan is hanging in there for Hillary. It has been a while since the last poll.

This is a major problem I believe the democrats have ignored for far too long. Everybody in the DNC focused on the increasing number of minorities in the country. However, with what the republicans have done to the lower- and middle-class over the past decades, the amount of uneducated whites is quite large. Democrats have not effectively reached out to this block of voters.

I have lived in rural areas most of my life. I have been around these people. Democrats have a tendency to believe these people will auotmatically vote for republicans, but that just isn't true. There are many who are willing to listen if the candidate would just reach out to their group a bit. The biggest problem I hear? "The democratic candidate seems like they talk down to us." Seriously--that is the most common complaint. That's why Obama won Indiana in 2008 and made slight inroads elsewhere--he didn't come off that way.

This is why I am really surprised Hillary hasn't hit on Trump's economic plans more. The 47% comment killed Romney's campaign.

Hillary campaign went from a perfect DNC to crap. I don't know what they were thinking. Instead of continuing with the DNC themes that just dropped it all.

I don't know if I can watch the debate guys. I'm pretty sure if I do I will drink myself into the hospital.

Suggestions? Should I play Dragon Quest 7 / Xenoblade Chronicles instead and just catch the highlights?

Wilsongt

O
I don't know if I can watch the debate guys. I'm pretty sure if I do I will drink myself into the hospital.

Suggestions? Should I play Dragon Quest 7 / Xenoblade Chronicles istead and just catch the highlights?

Dq7.

Who is ready for Killary to lose tonight? I have a coffee date so no debate for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom