• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I feel pretty confident that Hillary will curbstomp Trump tonight.

She will but the media/internet narrative will probably be how well Trump did because he didn't call her a shithead. Which is why I am just going to watch the debate and then immediately play video games. I can't take the handwringing.

I thin it would be a great opening gambit for Clinton to say something like "I challenge my opponent to prove he's capable this evening by giving specific and detailed answers on policy this evening, with details in followup questions."

Set the tone, and even though he'd ignore it, it puts him on the defensive immediately. And it plants the seed for viewers watching that he won't have any policy details. If by some miracle he does, they get picked apart.

Experiment.

What would be the peanut gallery reaction if Clinton did this when he was talking?
11DFuwckOK9mdG.gif

What would the punditry have said if Obama did it to Romney?

This is generally how I see it, too. Despite this being her millionth debate, in many ways it is a debut, because it's her first against a republican since Lazio. And I'm confident that she'll be at her best taking it to a republican.The sexism issue works a bit in her favor, IMO, as she can get away with laying into him without looking like a bully more than he can with her. So I agree that the bar for seeming calm and in command while attacking Trump's incoherent and unpopular ideas is actually fairly low, because, oddly, it's not a side we've seen a ton of. And, like ballad said, Trump's ideas have largely gone unchallenged so far, he won't have the crowd on his side, etc.

She ended Lazio's political career.

I have full faith in her as a debater.

Nothing gets to her and she's able to articulate policy and regurgitate fact after fact from memory. She held her composure for 11 hours during a grueling interrogation against a hostile congress and didn't break a sweat (she did cough for 3 minutes though!).

She will but the media/internet narrative will probably be how well Trump did because he didn't call her a shithead. Which is why I am just going to watch the debate and then immediately play video games. I can't take the handwringing.
Is Andrew Sullivan live blogging the debate tonight? Not that he isn't ever insightful, but he is my benchmark for handwringing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Nothing gets to her and she's able to articulate policy and regurgitate fact after fact from memory. She held her composure for 11 hours during a grueling interrogation against a hostile congress and didn't break a sweat (she did cough for 3 minutes though!).

In fairness, Lazio ended his own career.

I'm with you on the rest of it 100% tho.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

I think any attempts to calm down his rhetoric or trumpishness will backfire "Trump didn't show up to the debate" shit like that.

That said we all full know Trumps gonna trump it up tonight.

Also when the hell does SNL start we got like 5 saturdays. Come on...

edit: this weekend!

This entire election is one giant SNL skit, so I don't know what they're going to contribute to it.

In 2008, they were so on point they had people believing Tina Fey was actually Sarah Palin and the stuff they wrote were actual quotes from Palin (some people still believe Palin actually said "I can see Russia from my house"). I don't think they'll reach that high any time soon.

Gotchaye

23429780-53b6-0133-ec30-0aa00699013d.gif

though they liked this

I've said a couple times that the trick is not trying to present yourself as a super-polished politician. You do that and you get shredded for doing anything the least bit human. If you instead cultivate a reputation for not caring how you come across then you can get away with so much more, and you get bonus points for authenticity.

Cyanity

Banned
Experiment.

What would be the peanut gallery reaction if Clinton did this when he was talking?
11DFuwckOK9mdG.gif

What would the punditry have said if Obama did it to Romney?

Trumpers will probably just assume she had another stroke or something and use it as cannon fodder to claim that Trump won the debate

AniHawk

Highpoint NC:

Clinton: 43
Trump: 42
Johnson: 10

Burr: 45
Ross: 43

Cooper: 50
McCrory: 41

i am optimistic about nc. i think it'll come through in the end. not so sure about florida, and ohio and iowa seem like lost causes, but i think clinton's map is obama 2012 minus ohio, iowa, and maine 2nd, plus north carolina.

i think nevada will come home in the end too. seems weird it wouldn't but it is flanked by utah, arizona, idaho, and the shit parts of california.

Yeah but he's on CNN giving out debate etiqutte advice. Because he should know

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/780419263207239680

image.jpg

I thought she did say she could see Russia from her house in an interview.

Nope. She said that since alaska borders russia they've had interactions with them and thus she had foreign affairs experience.

Probably stupider imo

edit: she did say you can see it

Couric: “You’ve cited Alaska’s proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?”

Palin: “That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia…”

Couric: “Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials?”

Palin: “Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of . . . . It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send out those to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia…”

but she said this in another

“They’re our next-door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.”

overall undecideds are doubled, the inner conflict

They're Obama voters who don't particularly care for Hillary for whatever reason, but also really, really, really hate Trump.

Chances are, they either don't vote, or swing to Hillary. Trump is the one who needs to gain voters at this point, so this is bad for him.

i am optimistic about nc. i think it'll come through in the end. not so sure about florida, and ohio and iowa seem like lost causes, but i think clinton's map is obama 2012 minus ohio, iowa, and maine 22nd, plus north carolina.

i think nevada will come home in the end too. seems weird it wouldn't but it is flanked by utah, arizona, idaho, and the shit parts of california.

Highpoint did a voter file poll, which is probably the most accurate (and expensive), and it matches the NYT/Siena voter file poll and also shows what we're seeing in early voting.

But yeah, I think if the election were held today, she'd win Obama 12 - IA - OH - ME-02 + NC.

Nope. She said that since alaska borders russia they've had interactions with them and thus she had foreign affairs experience.

Probably stupider imo

She said you could see Russia from Alaska (true). And that she had more foeign affaris experince than Obama because of the proximity.

I actually said, jokingly, here on GAF, that the GOP could claim that. Then they did.

mo60

i am optimistic about nc. i think it'll come through in the end. not so sure about florida, and ohio and iowa seem like lost causes, but i think clinton's map is obama 2012 minus ohio, iowa, and maine 22nd, plus north carolina.

I think she wins both Ohio and Iowa on November 8th by a few percentage points. I'm not sure about maine's second CD, but the small amount of minority voters that live there plus any white voters that live there open to supporting hilary clinton will probably be enough to give her that congressional district.

Probably stupider imo

but she said this in another

I had completely forgotten how bad it was to read Palin speak. Almost as bad as Trump this year. Almost...

I actually kind of want her to lose Ohio, for no other reason than to shut up people who claim Ohio determines the winner based on the last x amount of elections. Because I hate when states are paraded around as the end all be all of the election. It makes it seem like there's no point in bothering to vote outside of that state.

You'd think a popular governor hating Trump would help more, guess not. I actually am not confident in Ohio, but I think she makes it up with NC or some other surprise traditionally red state.

Preview of tonight:

Trump: Lies
Hillary: That's not true, because X, Y Z
Trump: It is true, lock her up!
Lester: Moving on...

It's much easier to spread lies than to state truths that resonate with everyone. It is also very difficult to disprove lies. She should be prepared for how she will handle him lying.

Zukkoyaki

I actually kind of want her to lose Ohio, for no other reason than to shut up people who claim Ohio determines the winner based on the last x amount of elections. Because I hate when states are paraded around as the end all be all of the election. It makes it seem like there's no point in bothering to vote outside of that state.

You'd think a popular governor hating Trump would help more, guess not. I actually am not confident in Ohio, but I think she makes it up with NC or some other surprise traditionally red state.

Missouri was like this for decades as well. It was annoying in 2008 when people I knew kept talking about how McCain is winning our state so he's going to be president.

mo60

Missouri was like this for decades as well. It was annoying in 2008 when people I knew kept talking about how McCain is winning our state so he's going to be president.

Obama was ridiculously close to winning that state in 08. If McCain actually did slightly worse nationally Obama would have won Missouri in 08. Hilary will probably be ridiculously close to winning Missouri in this election to but it will depend on her national margin.

The only good thing to come out of this is that the bar has dropped so low for Trump that we do not think that Hillary can win the debate. Which, ironically, has also lowered the bar for Hillary!

Is it me, or maybe because Obama was a better candidate and handled it better, but does it seem like the sexism Hillary has to deal with this year is far worse than the racism Obama had to deal with?

It seems wayyy worse to me. It's so blatant sometimes, but you call it out and you just get told to stop playing the woman card.

Is it because racism is just easier to point at? "Obama has a funny name, he's not a real American" is a lot more blatant than "I just don't like her. She's not genuine. She should smile and joke more" which is just subtle enough to sound like legit criticism, but is formed from deep rooted sexism.

Stop me when this entire article sounds familiar:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=122988&page=1

(Clinton won by 12 points)

Change some names and dates around and this article is from 2016. Man she's had to deal with a lot of garbage, no wonder she doesn't really like the media all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom