• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

Alternative take: people tend to like Hillary a lot more when they genuinely listen to what she has to say. Remember how after the eleven hour Benghazi hearing everyone briefly came together and even the busters of the time conceded that they felt better about voting for her in the event Bernie lost.

To those not as politically educated, the bar is set pretty low for Hillary as well. She just has to not be the right wing caricature to exceed expectations from the uneducated.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
If these 2 are the best pollsters, how does one reconcile the different result? Methodology? Turnout?

Yes to both; plus what they think the actual voter turnout will be. I get why Nate put so much weight (too much IMO, plus, if Clinton does well at the debates, the first set of polls after the first debate could swing the model to the extreme the other way) in Selzer; but man, that was a bit too much for me. Unless the Monmouth poll promptly cancels it out.

(Once again, the entire point of Selzer's high ranking is that the last several times her polls have gone against the grain, hindsight has proven her right. But this election is officially wishy-washy central)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If these 2 are the best pollsters, how does one reconcile the different result? Methodology? Turnout?

That's going to happen no matter what. Two people could run the same poll, with the same methodology, and get slightly different results. That's why we use averages and statistical models instead of relying on individual polls.

Apparently Pennsylvania is getting tighter? If trump got it that would be enough to push him over the edge with a little wiggle room. Clinton should really ramp up campaigning there.

Apparently Pennsylvania is getting tighter? If trump got it that would be enough to push him over the edge with a little wiggle room. Clinton should really ramp up campaigning there.

Moby-Dick.jpg

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Way too high. But I feel the debates and just generally going forward that changes.

IMO, as long as folks think Clinton has this in the bag, I think the Johnson / Stein protest vote will be high (relatively speaking). It's why I'm not too torn up about BestNate telling people the election is currently pretty much dead even - might get some of the protest voters off of their duffs.

This jackhole is going to bomb tonight, and everything will be covered in cheeto dust. He is really unprepared. Obama was wrecked because he did not prepare for the 1st debate. This is a trainwreck waiting to happen from Trump, I'm sure of it more than ever.

HylianTom

Banned
This jackhole is going to bomb tonight, and everything will be covered in cheeto dust. He is really unprepared. Obama was wrecked because he did not prepare for the 1st debate. This is a trainwreck waiting to happen from Trump, I'm sure of it more than ever.

I feel pretty damn good, to be honest.

(Then again, it could be the whiskey in my liver at the moment.)
(Hey, it's after noon.)

Sianos

At some point after the debate is over I want to make a thread about "don't read the comments".

It's good advice, because the comments usually are just a cesspool. But it feels like people are starting to forget that the comments that populate the cesspool are written by human beings who are articulating those comments and granting them form.

It's why people are shocked at the rise of Trump, because they just ignored "the comments" and the alt-right as a whole, just pretending they didn't exist or that they were all just kidding.

I mean, yeah: still don't read the comments. But let's remember that the comments still exist even when they are not being actively observed.

I'm a bit tired of hearing "look at this video of liberal kids with poor rhetorical skills! Incidentally, remember to always ignore the comments!"

At some point after the debate is over I want to make a thread about "don't read the comments".

It's good advice, because the comments usually are just a cesspool. But it feels like people are starting to forget that the comments that populate the cesspool are written by human beings who are articulating those comments and granting them form.

It's why people are shocked at the rise of Trump, because they just ignored "the comments" and the alt-right as a whole, just pretending they didn't exist or that they were all just kidding.

I mean, yeah: still don't read the comments. But let's remember that the comments still exist even when they are not being actively observed.

I'm a bit tired of hearing "look at this video of liberal kids with poor rhetorical skills! Incidentally, remember to always ignore the comments!"

This is a good point.

What's similar is pollsters going "Ignore PPP's troll questions!" When PPP finds that almost all Republicans think that Obama is a Kenyan Muslim or that they think New Jersey Muslims cheered on 9/11, people try to dismiss it away by claiming that it's bullshit or whatever. People are just shoving fingers in their ears and trying to ignore that most people do not care for liberalism and tons of people are 50% hate and conspiracy.

Steve King letting that Nazi flag fly:

@FraukePetry Wishing you successful vote. Cultural suicide by demographic transformation must end. @geertwilderspvv

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/777568225538088960

Look at Steve King continuing to pretend he wouldn't have been executed by fascists.

Tonight's biggest post #debate question: Inquiring American minds will want to know,
was Hillary on her meds or off her meds?

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/780444219097821184

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom