• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebloo

Come on, Donald. Are you a wimp? Are you scared of a guuurl? Come on, Donald. You are alpha, you can beat her.

What the hell do you have to lose?

Boke1879

I figure Donald will start off calm, but he's entirely uninteresting when he's calm. I feel he'll start to ramble as well when he has no idea what he's talking about.

That might be enough for the media but then it becomes her schooling him on substance. If Trump can't yell with cheers in the background he looks silly. We'll see though.

Kinda bizarre to have such a poll dump on the day of the 1st debate, if the "debates are the main event of the campaign".

Hope this thread doesn't become a play-by-play of the debate.

thebloo

Kinda bizarre to have such a poll dump on the day of the 1st debate, if the "debates are the main event of the campaign".

Hope this thread doesn't become a play-by-play of the debate.

Probably the most seen polls of the year. Everybody got a little something.

Joeytj

Banned
I figure Donald will start off calm, but he's entirely uninteresting when he's calm. I feel he'll start to ramble as well when he has no idea what he's talking about.

That might be enough for the media but then it becomes her schooling him on substance. If Trump can't yell with cheers in the background he looks silly. We'll see though.

Hillary will also immediately start to intimidate him, either by what she's wearing, her smile, her calling him "Donald", a firm handshake, etc. A confident adversary really unnerves Trump. He usually goes to the jugular to throw off a male's confidence, but he won't know what to do with HIllary.

Definitely starts as lowkey Trump. Mark it.

He will be talking slow, repeat lines, and say empty things like "we have to do something. We have to. We just have to do something" and run out the clock. The facade will quickly falter though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fantastic Ohio poll!

As for the debate tonight, I think being worried about Trump's performance is acceptable. His team probably knows his main goal here is to appear presidential and a solid leader. Wouldn't surprise me at all for him to be calm the entire way through and perhaps even completely polite, cordial, and complimentary with Hillary.

Teggy

Fantastic Ohio poll!

As for the debate tonight, I think being worried about Trump's performance is acceptable. His team probably knows his main goal here is to appear presidential and a solid leader. Wouldn't surprise me at all for him to be calm the entire way through and perhaps even completely polite, cordial, and complimentary with Hillary.

How is he going to be completely polite and cordial when his entire campaign has rested upon calling Hillary the founder of ISIS and otherwise a complete disaster for the country?

Kusagari

Ever been there?

It's extremely rural. Much of it is culturally similar to the deep south. I've seen confederate flags up there, which is crazy considering Maine's role in the Civil War.

It's just surprising to me because NH has always been the swing state of New England but it seems solidly blue this cycle.

It's just surprising to me because NH has always been the swing state of New England but it seems solidly blue this cycle.

Because NH is a lot more highly educated than Maine is, has a higher % of people moving into the state (job growth), and is much less evangelical than Maine (which has the highest evangelic pop in New England).

Finally read that whole Sam Wang post, and that's sorta what I was saying today also. it doesn't matter if Trump wins on low expectations, people will pick the stronger candidate, and that's almost certainly going to be Clinton on stage tonight.

Finally read that whole Sam Wang post, and that's sorta what I was saying today also. it doesn't matter if Trump wins on low expectations, people will pick the stronger candidate, and that's almost certainly going to be Clinton on stage tonight.
Huffpo Pollster team has a story out on this. Trump actually has higher expectations than previous "underdogs", and Hillary has lower expectations than others who were leading. Hillary-Trump spread is smaller than previous matchups.

dramatis

Now that people mention it in the debate thread, is Daniel B going to be able to watch the debate on his PS3?

Hope he got a PS4 slim

Joeytj

Banned
Huffpo Pollster team has a story out on this. Trump actually has higher expectations than previous "underdogs", and Hillary has lower expectations than others who were leading. Hillary-Trump spread is smaller than previous matchups.

This ^^^

The ABC/WaPo poll Saturday night had this too. Expectations for Hillary are actually lower than usual for an incumbent party candidate and Trump's are higher than Romney's.

Cerium

New Hampshire is culturally on a different planet than Maine.

Maine is the fucking untamed wilderness. The only reason it's blue is that most of the state is so sparsely populated that the tiny handful of "cities" overwhelm the rest.

HylianTom

Banned

I haven't read the story, but have long thought that a man who is the epitome of boastfulness and braggadocio shouldn't get to benefit from low expectations. Everything he does is "the best," "the greatest," "the classiest" - so attempts to lowball his abilities strike me as very uncharacteristic.

With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the media don't make hay of this kind of dichotomy.

There is a podcast Sam Wang does called the WooCast. In a recent episode, he and his co-host invited Rebecca Traister who has written a lot about gender and politics (the podcast is titled "Gender & Politics") to talk about Hillary Clinton.

Towards the end of the podcast, Traister shares a story about 2008, when Hillary lost Iowa, and then she had a tearful moment in New Hampshire. Hillary goes on to win the New Hampshire primary, and all the coverage from the major publications/networks is about "did she win because she cried?" and so on.

Traister interviewed Ellen Malcolm (founder of EMILY's List) for a book about 2008, and Malcolm tells Traister that when Hillary won the NH primary, Hillary grabbed Malcolm's hand and said, "I'm the first woman to win a primary." A historic event that the major publications did not remember to report in their articles the day after.

Let it go. Men don't care, the media doesn't care. The younger batch of millennials is too full of themselves to care or value what any of this means to women. It's going to be all about how emotional or how cold Hillary is, how she should be doing better because for her, being 100x better than her opponent still means she's not good enough, she sucks, she's weak, she's a poor candidate, she's this, she's that, she's everything and nothing under the sun.

Are you trying to outdo former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright's comments to young women with this level of disrespect? Young women aren't full of themselves because they don't allegedly care or value Hillary Clinton winning a primary.

Boke1879

I can see Trump being cordial to Hillary, but I don't think it goes further than that. I mean this is the man who says we need to lock her up, says all sorts of vile shit. For him to be all nice and lovey dovey here would go against that and look even more foolish at his next rally when he's blasting her.

Cerium

The thing about Albright's comments is that she said the same thing in 2008 (in fact she's been saying it longer than that) and it backfired then, particularly when Sarah Palin started quoting her during the general. I don't know why she thought it'd be a good idea to repeat it again in 2016.

Boring Trump is a big risk for his campaign.

People don't want boring Trump. Boring Trump versus Hillary means Hillary wins, because, Boring Trump is as close to conventional politician as you can get. But without any policy knowledge to back it up. But, I don't think he can pull it off.

Cerium

Boring Trump is a big risk for his campaign.

People don't want boring Trump. Boring Trump versus Hillary means Hillary wins, because, Boring Trump is as close to conventional politician as you can get. But without any policy knowledge to back it up. But, I don't think he can pull it off.
The bar is set so low for Trump that I think Boring Trump will be declared a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom