• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
TROLL LEVEL: EPIC

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/782117968117428224

Rvsuv3N.png

What I'm looking forward to / dreading is having to explain why Clinton is outrunning the polls on Election Day because she'll actually have a GOTV operation.

Kids, you can be ridiculously, unbelievably stupid and still become a professor.

The diction of Social Desirability Bias fits neatly with my skeptical take on addiction - and mental illness generally. To my ears, "I can't stop drinking" directly parallels "I can't come to your party." Of course you can refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages. And of course you can attend my party. But if you declare, "I'd rather stay home and drink alone," you sound bad and listeners get mad.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2016/04/the_diction_of.html

This man should never have children.

That doesn't necessarily sound too bad, since she's not attributing fault to millennials with the way I read that, though I can see how that might be seen as bad.

Outside of that, nothing else in that article sounds bad at all.

Yeah, she's not wrong at all, and in context she sounds pretty sympathetic to them. But just like with the deplorables quote, this sounds hand-delivered to be taken out of context and used to sow discord.

sazzy

Hmm what are the chances that Trump is fueling the Alicia Machado story to bury this one?
Losing the Presidency vs. losing business across the board/paying contract wages?

Union launches boycott of Trump companies amid Vegas dispute

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Union members are calling on the public to boycott Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's businesses nationwide because he isn't negotiating a contract with the more than 500 eligible workers at his high-rise Las Vegas hotel.

UNITE HERE announced the effort this week. The group is the parent organization of the Culinary Union, which represents about 57,000 Las Vegas-area hospitality workers.

"After a disgraceful anti-union campaign against their own workers, the hotel still refuses to negotiate with their employees," Geoconda Arguello-Kline, the top officer at the Culinary Union, said in a statement. "We call on allies and workers to stand in solidarity in a national boycott until Donald Trump, the 'Great Negotiator,' comes to the table."

Workers at Trump's hotel voted in December to unionize, but management hasn't started bargaining with them. Experts say it could take years, and court action, before management is forced to come to the table.

http://apne.ws/2dyLxeR

Trump's little army of pepes believes he has a time machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if his is exactly how a bunch of men sat around a fire 5000 years ago and started 'religion'.

Old habits die hard.

Observe:

So, honestly, if any of us had a time machine, would any of us choose to visit "exactly this moment right now?" Let's be more fair: would anyone choose to visit any moment in the last 30 years? You've got a time machine and you visit a time that's within the same lifespan as your own? Who does that? That's a serious lack of intellectual curiosity right there. "Oh, I'm going to the 1970s to ask what things were like back then"... bitch, I can ASK PEOPLE. Thinkers would visit the Renaissance, or the Ancient civilizations, or the goddamn dinosaurs. You'd have to be the stupidest fucker on Earth to get a time machine and think "I guess I'll go back to a couple years ago," lottery numbers or sports betting be damned.

With Pac praising Duterte, it's amazing that the most likable guy in the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is a guy whose life outside of boxing consists largely of assaulting women.

You can tell Hillary knows she's going to win. Her team is probably in disbelief that the debate tactics worked as well as they did.

I heard some analysis that pointed out that it was only after Hillary mentioned Trump's father in the debate that he began to unravel. I remember reading that the Art of the Deal author had been consulted for debate prep, and he has often talked about how important Trump's father was to him. It was a calculated strategy to get him to blow his stack and it worked.

LOL she better fucking win, Orange Menace is making Dukakis look like a pro.

Beating him isn't an extraordinary achievement in itself.

I actually made a facebook status about the hair mouse earlier today. For the past 8 months since New Hampshire I've been making regular installments of "IT'S TRUMP'S TIME BABY", all of them a parody of a rah-rah Trump supporter.

I'd give anything for a quality photoshop of a mouse directing Trump around.

30037432665_27031af67f.jpg

Please continue to spread the truth!

I'd also like to extend a special shoutout to Finale Firworker and Hair Mouse. Best thing to come out of this election since PDs fanfics.

No need to thank me, service is its own reward.

Thank you so much.

HylianTom

Banned
What I'm looking forward to / dreading is having to explain why Clinton is outrunning the polls on Election Day because she'll actually have a GOTV operation.

THIS. More than anything else. We'll get to see what a difference it makes.

We'll also get to see how many Senate seats get nudged over the finish line.

Obama had an organizational advantage over Romney in 2012, and almost all of the Senate seats that were on the edge went our way. I still remember Chris Matthews being amazed at this on Election Night; they'd make a Senate call, and you could actually hear him off-camera gasping and emoting..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
FFS I have to stop following certain parts of hard lefty Twitter. Comparisons being made between a comment Clinton made about a "government service for student debt forgiveness" idea and "indentured servitude"

We're not fucking getting no strings attached debt forgiveness guys. I don't care how "unfair" it is

BriGuy

Maybe this is neither here nor there, but I just saw one of the most offensive segments I've ever seen on Fox News this morning.

The basic premise is they give a guy a sign that says "Black Lives Matter" and have him stand outside a busy store and ask passersby if they support BLM. The white folks walking by say no and go on their way, or helpfully offer that "all lives matter."

Cue the reverse scenario where the guy is instead given an "All Lives Matter" sign. A visibly upset black guy confronts him on it and Fox lets the camera roll. Cut back to token airhead conservative newsgirl who smirking, concludes that BLM is responsible for widening the racial divide.

I'm glad this was after my morning shit because I would have had a real problem on my hands otherwise. Just goddamn.

Cyanity

Banned
Good thing they changed it. When you only say "Clinton says Sanders supporters live in their parents basements" it makes it sound bad but in context there's nothing wrong with what she said and it's true.

I'm a former Bernie bro living in my parents basement.

I take offense to this.

I'm a former Bernie bro living in my parents home.

Yeah. I was expecting r/politics to be foaming at the mouth and 18/20 top stories being about this. There's nothing. The Bernie bro quote won't get any major play.

SexyFish

Banned
Yeah. I was expecting r/politics to be foaming at the mouth and 18/20 top stories being about this. There's nothing. The Bernie bro quote won't get any major play.

/r/politics is done with Trump bullshit. /r/the_Donald is where they're all cowering now. People have been shitting on the " they're both the same" comments too.

FFS I have to stop following certain parts of hard lefty Twitter. Comparisons being made between a comment Clinton made about a "government service for student debt forgiveness" idea and "indentured servitude"

We're not fucking getting no strings attached debt forgiveness guys. I don't care how "unfair" it is

This drives me up the wall too.

I started at a community college. I transferred to a state school. I worked full time to afford it. I lived at home and commuted. I didn't get any student aid (which was bull shit) and could only afford to go part time. It took me an extra year to get my BA, but I graduated debt-free. It can be done.

But when I was graduating high school, lots of kids wanted to go away to schools that sounded exotic or special. Their dream schools, or fun schools, and people were eager to go to UNE or BU because they were so sold on the romance of it. These schools would cost them $100,000 to go to, but that was okay, because they got to go to Suffolk or Emerson or some other school that fit their idea of the "college experience" being the best four years of their life.

Plenty did fine. Lots of kids got good jobs and started their lives and never came back. But I met all the kids who came back because I was still there. And they all decried their injustice of their incredible student debt. "I owe $80,000 to Sally Mae, what am I supposed to do?"

And I would get so annoyed because they chose to do that. They chose to spend four years not working in a city they couldn't afford to live in even if they were. They wanted their college to be romantic. They took on the idea that college was an "experience" they would never forget and good for them. But the real world didn't wait for you. The real world kept turning. And every year you spent at your academic summer camp making your lifetime of memories, it cost you another $20,000. Now that it's over, you don't get to say it's not fair. You don't get to say somebody else has to pay for it. You chose this. You wanted this.

I think American tuition is absurd. I think the system is unfair. But we all knew how the system worked. Nobody should have to pay $100,000 to go to college, but nobody was making you either. You had a choice from the beginning. I am truly sorry that you have to live with it, but here you are.

[*heavy, exasperated breathing*]

Sorry, I had to have dinner with my girlfriend's older sister last night and we fought about this the whole time.

Is my inferiority complex showing? MY SCHOOL WAS GOOD.

Cyanity

Banned
Maybe this is neither here nor there, but I just saw one of the most offensive segments I've ever seen on Fox News this morning.

The basic premise is they give a guy a sign that says "Black Lives Matter" and have him stand outside a busy store and ask passersby if they support BLM. The white folks walking by say no and go on their way, or helpfully offer that "all lives matter."

Cue the reverse scenario where the guy is instead given an "All Lives Matter" sign. A visibly upset black guy confronts him on it and Fox lets the camera roll. Cut back to token airhead conservative newsgirl who smirking, concludes that BLM is responsible for widening the racial divide.

I'm glad this was after my morning shit because I would have had a real problem on my hands otherwise. Just goddamn.

I probably would have had to restrain myself from punching a hole in the TV if I had seen that live. Shameful.

The USA Today Editorial Board anti-endorsement of Trump is my best go to when I'm trying to get across how exceptionally terrible Trump is for the uninformed voters in my life who "heard bad things about Hillary." They think when I point out his actions, it's just a liberal nitpicking the GOP candidate but when I point out an unprecedented anti-endorsement from a mainstream, reasonably neutral source, they start to think I might have a point.

dramatis

The Other Trump [NY Times] (yes, that other Trump, have you forgotten her?)
Like Ivanka, Tiffany went to her father’s alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania; likes fashion; and is dating someone whose family is in real estate: Ross Mechanic, a senior at Penn, the son of Jonathan Mechanic, a real estate attorney. (Ivanka is married to the real estate scion Jared Kushner.)
Apparently, the telephone is the paternal umbilical cord when growing up Trump. In interviews and digital campaign ads, Ivanka, Don Jr. and Tiffany describe how engaged and loving their powerful, busy father was by saying he always accepted their calls at the office. To outsiders, however, that may seem faint praise given Mr. Trump’s lifelong alacrity for getting on the phone with reporters.

Ms. Maples said that when Mr. Trump called to console Tiffany about the death in the Maples’s family and invited his grieving daughter to visit him in New York, she urged Tiffany to go. “It gave him a chance to see her as a real person and not just a happy, smiling little girl,” she said.

When asked to describe his youngest daughter, Mr. Trump replied by email: “Tiffany is a tremendous young woman with a big and beautiful heart. She was always a great student and a very popular person no matter where she went. I am incredibly proud of Tiffany and how well she has done. — DJT.”

(Tiffany did not consent to be interviewed for this article, although she did pose for its photo shoot. Instead, the campaign delivered a list of approved contacts. Other family friends who were not on the list said they were instructed not to speak without authorization.)
This picture is kind of sad

Grief.exe

Fucking hell.

sphagnum

Banned

Why do you guys always want to start from from a more moderate position? Regardless of whatever you think can be realistically achieved, you should always start off swinging for the fences.

SexyFish

Banned
God this Latina for Trump on MSNBC

"Trump called a reporter the c word, would you approve of your son doing that?"

"No of course not but he's had a different upbringing."

Fuck.

thebloo

Why do you guys always want to start from from a more moderate position? Regardless of whatever you think can be realistically achieved, you should always start off swinging for the fences.

1. Moderate positions are easier to achieve.
2. Maybe free college for all is not a good idea.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Ideas like that are what we get when we start from "no strings attached debt forgiveness" which it turns out is what a lot of people seem to actually want to really happen

Eh, I think access to higher education in some form should be free for all. Access to "whatever college you want" probably shouldn't

sphagnum

Banned

The second is debatable but the first, to me, is self defeating. Starting off moderate means that your final outcome will end up even more moderate or even right leaning.

If you want something watered down in the first place, start off making demands you know won't be met.

Gotchaye

I don't want to get bogged down in the details of this loan forgiveness thing specifically, but I think there can be reasons for not staking out an extreme position to start.

Start with bargaining. Some people who do want the thing that can realistically be achieved don't want the extreme thing. You can get more people on your side faster by advocating for the more moderate goal. Staking out an extreme position for bargaining purposes can make sense if you know who's on each side and you know you've got to bargain, but politics often doesn't work that way. There's not going to be a bargain on loan forgiveness (or much of anything else) with Republicans. We get loan forgiveness with Democratic control of Congress, so what's needed is to convince more people to vote for Democrats. Especially if the Democrats aren't going to take Congress this election, there's value in being able to use this sort of political disagreement between the parties in future campaigns. If the position you're rhetorically committed to is actually not very popular, you can't run on it. Relatedly, there's the issue The Technomancer is seeing, where people who seem like they should be the most motivated to work for change buy into the extreme position in such a way that they actually think the moderate position is worse than the status quo. Encouraging people to buy into the extreme position can backfire and make the actually-achievable thing harder to achieve.

On the Overton window, I think the worry here is basically Ted Cruz and eventually Donald Trump. Yes, you can benefit from pretending to be crazy in order to shift the political center to what you really want. But lots of your supporters won't understand that you're just pretending (people thinking that you're serious is the whole point). This makes your movement crazier. There are significant long-term downsides to convincing your movement that bad ideas are good, obviously, but there are even downsides to convincing your movement that unachievable good ideas are achievable. If you never deliver, your supporters are going to ask why not, and you've been talking like the reason isn't that you couldn't have done it.

In cases where you think the extreme position is good but not achievable, you could try to lay everything out. Say that the extreme thing would be best but what you're going to try to get done is the achievable thing. Obviously this doesn't help you from a bargaining standpoint, but maybe it helps you move the political center over time. On the other hand, this is much more complicated - you've got to explain two positions, both of which you're for but in somewhat different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom