• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Pence's laugh tactic actually looks bad when he does it in response to things Trump has said and that everyone knows Trump has said.

studyguy

The stories that follow tonight will literally be Pence quotes stacked up next to Trump quotes blowing him out of the water as the receipts are pulled on him.

Incredible.

If trump somehow wins, would pence basically be president while trump secretly runs his businesses? I wouldn't be surprised if at minimum hes advertising his new hotels or whatever in state of the Union addresses.

The real winner of the night has been Elaine. She's been on point.

qx9UAfh.gif

This is going to be the most non-needle moving debate since 2004 but Pence wins since he gets bumped up the GOP order for 2020 a bit while Kaine looked weak, especially early on. Not ready for the big stage.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think Kaine's approach is right for this one off debate.

Yep. He knows what he's doing. He's making Pence outright lie one things Trump has said, he's made Pence disagree with Trump, he's rattled Pence, and he's tied the two of them together successfully. Pence has been on the defensive the last 45 minutes.

TheFatOne

Any moderator is going to have no chance in an Open Discussion format. It's kind of a no win situation.

Nah she's just being run over, and won't fact check anything. Quick way to stop any of this bullshit is to just start fact checking. After both get fact checked a few times they would be forced to slow down. If you never stop, and fact check politicians will just run you over.

Thaedolus

You know, I wonder if anything but a complete beatdown like we saw last week would be disappointing but...I'm feeling disappointed. It's kind of Romney v. Obama #1: blatantly obvious to me Romney just flipped on everything and Obama is low energy but it just looks bad.

Thankfully VP debates historically haven't counted for shit...but this election...I dunno...

Pence just lied about his own statement he made less than a month ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-that-putin-is-a-stronger-leader-than-obama/

"I think it's inarguable that Vladimir Putin has been a stronger leader in his country than Barack Obama has been in this country," Pence said during an interview with CNN at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on Thursday. "And that's going to change the day that Donald Trump becomes president of the United States of America."

watershed

Banned
Yep. He knows what he's doing. He's making Pence outright lie one things Trump has said, he's made Pence disagree with Trump, he's rattled Pence, and he's tied the two of them together successfully. Pence has been on the defensive the last 45 minutes.
Yeah and the next day and ad material is endless. Quotes from Trump verbatim with Pence denying it. All over the morning shows, all over the air waves.

Nah she's just being run over, and won't fact check anything. Quick way to stop any of this bullshit is to just start fact checking. After both get fact checked a few times they would be forced to slow down. If you never stop, and fact check politicians will just run you over.

Yep, she could have stopped Kaine's interrupting early on by asking him to follow up on the questions she asked

Tarydax

Banned
Is Kaine's goal to get a ton of great ad material out of Pence? If so, he's doing a great job. Pence is lying his ass off so much the ads practically make themselves.

Edit: Beaten

Emarv

Thissssss

Ezra Klein
@ezraklein

It sort of works in the debate, but Pence shaking head, saying "no he hasn't" is going to look bad in ads next to Trump saying those things

HylianTom

Banned
My hunch is that Pence will be deemed the winner of tonight (not by the same margin as Clinton-Trump 1), but the aftermath for his ticket will not go well..

This isn't a debate about Kaine vs Pence, it's all about making Pence not defend his President.

For Kaine it is. Pence wants to use the debate to loudly support mainstream conservatism. Thats why he's not bothering to refute Kaine's points. Pence is trying to get some shine for 2020 and I think its worked reasonably well.

I've watched a few cycles of Presidential debates and I can't think of one where the moderator didn't get run over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom