• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard not to wonder if Trump even approved Pence's "never defend Donald" strategy. Trump never allows any insult to pass, and Pence has let a million go by. It has got to be driving Donald nuts to see this stuff go unrebutted on a massive stage like this.

Debirudog

Ct-Df_bWcAACWR8.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/783489541801963521

Fuck you, Pence.

Slizeezyc

For Kaine it is. Pence wants to use the debate to loudly support mainstream conservatism. Thats why he's not bothering to refute Kaine's points. Pence is trying to get some shine for 2020 and I think its worked reasonably well.

I would probably be out for myself as well if I were Pence. He's screwed either way.

TheFatOne

I've watched a few cycles of Presidential debates and I can't think of one where the moderator didn't get run over.

Because the U.S. media is complete and utter garbage, and the moderators are chosen from the media. There are a couple of people who are O.K. Cooper, and Tapper can ok, but for the most part all of them are terrible.

Boke1879

I think Kaine keeping the topic on Trump by quoting Trump and attacking Trumps policies may pay off.

Again. I don't know WHY Pence is deciding to laugh and shake his head at those. It shows he can't defend Trump and he's in a terrible position to actually repudiate what he said.

Pence will win tonight simply by being your generic republican and being smooth at debating. But still his reactions to all that Trump shit an produce quite a few ads.

Also wonder if the media will kinda knock Pence for really not defending Trump.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pence will win but I think he's going to get eaten alive by the "fact check" brigade. Not sure what coverage will look like. He lied through the entire debate. 100%.

Debirudog

For Kaine it is. Pence wants to use the debate to loudly support mainstream conservatism. Thats why he's not bothering to refute Kaine's points. Pence is trying to get some shine for 2020 and I think its worked reasonably well.

That rat shouldn't be allowed to survive being part of the Trump train.

How are you even supposed to debate in the post-truth era. You can say X today, deny ever saying X tomorrow, then go back to X next week. Maybe even sprinkle in a little, 'actually we said Y'. Then when the fact-checks come in against you, just complain about the liberal media being biased against you.

If truth mattered Trump wouldn't be here. A large portion of voters just don't care anymore. It's scary.

Iolo

Pence will win but I think he's going to get eaten alive by the "fact check" brigade. Not sure what coverage will look like. He lied through the entire debate. 100%.

This seems basically right. Coverage of the debate will be shaped by the media afterward, since no one that can be swayed is watching this live.

royalan

Pence may win the debate....but he's DEFINITELY going to lose the fact-check.

And there will be a loooooot of fact-checks.

EDIT: I TRY TO SPEND TIME ON MY KNEES EVERYDAY TOO PENCE. YAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS SIS!!!

Boke1879

This seems basically right. Coverage of the debate will be shaped by the media afterward, since no one that can be swayed is watching this live.

Doubt anyone is swayed either way. Played to their bases pretty much. Kaine kept Trump the focus and tied Pence to him. To which Pence couldn't even defend. Could get a few attack ads off it.

One good thing out of this. Neither one of them will go on Twitter tirades or publicly fat shame someone so there's that.

I guess we are back in the 90s with the abortion stuff
I'd say arguably Pence's biggest asset to the ticket (aside from looking vaguely sane) is courting the votes of evangelicals who can't vote Democrat because of abortion but might be normally repulsed by Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom