• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

I'd say that Pence won the heat of battle and Trump lost ground in the war... But these last exchanges for Kaine were fire.

Like I said earlier, the VP debate only matters if, after watching it, you fear for one of the candidates becoming president.

Plus there's no attention-magnet like Palin in the VP debate this year, so we'll see what the viewership looks like.

Besides, this isn't the closer. There's still two more debates featuring Trump to wash this down. Pence might get more claiming he won tonight, but he didn't come anywhere near close to putting a better face on his running mate.

Boke1879

I think that ending is going to play a lot to women, and I also feel Pence might get shit on with the fact checkers.

That said Pence won, but Donald probably lost. Pence couldn't defend him to save his life.

Pence won. He's a slick motherfucker.

Too bad the VP doesn't debate doesn't mean anything, historically never has.

It's just noise.

Yeah, Pence looked much more like someone who could seriously run for President in four years. Kaine was all over the place for the first 30 minutes then settled down:

Winners:
Pence
Clinton

Losers:
Kaine
Trump

Kaine destroyed Pence.

But I think the perception will be skewed towards GOPs because they are full of themselves.

Won't matter, HRC got good more soundbites from this than DaDonald

Owzers

I thought Kaine won. Defend Trump saying he wants more countries to get nuclear weapons. I will butttttttttttttttttttt hey next question.

Judging by Tapper i presume people will say Pence won. I'd give it to Pence if Pence were the candidate, not Trump.

PBY

Banned
Kaine destroyed Pence.

But I think the perception will be skewed towards GOPs because they are full of themselves.

Won't matter, HRC got good more soundbites from this than DaDonald
What.

Kaine did fine, but in no universe did he get destroyed.

I'd say that Pence won the heat of battle and Trump lost ground in the war... But these last exchanges for Kaine were fire.

And that's the right thing to do.

We're not electing Pence for president. We're electing Trump. This was the right thing to do. What Pence talked about, nobody cares because everyone knows Trump doesn't even believe what Pence does.

Emarv

yuppp

Alec MacGillisVerified account
‏@AlecMacGillis
Pence is giving the country a very good preview of how the Republican Party is going to move beyond Trump. Just pretend he never happened.

Frank Lutz Ohio focus group overwhelmingly gives the win to Pence.

Pence is 'calm, focused, composed'.

But no one is changing their votes.

Someone cut out Ohio from the union plz lol

I want to see Trump surrogates twist themselves by arguing that Kaine was wrong for interrupting Pence, but that Trump was Presidental for interrupting Clinton constantly.

What.

Kaine did fine, but in no universe did he get destroyed.

Pence was blatantly lying about things that are common knowledge (Trump's judge comments, for example)

He was unable to defend Trump at any point

The abortion discussion was a disaster for Pence, the biggest bomb of the entire debate, and happened right at the end, when people will remember it

TheFatOne

Mathews is incredibly transparent in regards to Pence. He set up the narrative before the debate that Pence would run in 2020, and then after the debate surprise he thinks Pence won and is going to run in 2020.

kevin1025

Banned
I feel like it was a draw. But only that Pence was semi-polished and that's what people will see in his possibly winning the debate, whereas Kaine kept setting little traps that were either ignored with the shake of a head or said were untrue, which itself was untrue.

royalan

Between Trump and Pence this week...I think we can safely say that minorities and allies of minorities have been permanently turned off from the Republican party. Th most blatantly anti-black/brown/women ticket in my lifetime.

They won't live this down. This will linger.

Cyanity

Banned
lmfao, Lundtz just asked his focus group if the debate was actually going to change anyone's vote and NOT A SINGLE PERSON raised their hand.

calling it now - this is gonna be the big takeaway. Can't wait for the inevitable bedwetting though

Dierce

I still don't understand Kaine's strategy. It is obvious that Pence didn't take the bait. Him not defending orange turd is a positive for him, not a negative. Not to mention that interruptions actually lead to immediate negative perception.

yuppp

Alec MacGillisVerified account
‏@AlecMacGillis
Pence is giving the country a very good preview of how the Republican Party is going to move beyond Trump. Just pretend he never happened.

Let's face it, this is obvious given how they treat the W. Presidency. Like how Pence ignored the 2000s tax cuts.

Sianos

And that's the right thing to do.

We're not electing Pence for president. We're electing Trump. This was the right thing to do. What Pence talked about, nobody cares because everyone knows Trump doesn't even believe what Pence does.
Exactly. And Pence's blatantly false denials will only serve as ammunition for a new wave of ads.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Arthur Delaney
Arthur Delaney‏ @ArthurDelaneyHP

CBS's #VPDebate focus group completely hated Tim Kaine
Oct 4, 2016, 10:43 PM

I think Pence will squeak this out, but just because he can appear normal and was not an interrupting, over-eager man.

Hey CNN focus group, majority saying Kaine won.

Owzers

Between Trump and Pence this week...I think we can safely say that minorities and allies of minorities have been permanently turned off from the Republican party. Th most blatantly anti-black/brown/women ticket in my lifetime.

They won't live this down. This will linger.

What do you say to Tim Scott?

Law and Order.

I thought Pence was a very calm, confident, deplorable.

Iolo

lmfao, Lundtz just asked his focus group if the debate was actually going to change anyone's vote and NOT A SINGLE PERSON raised their hand.

calling it now - this is gonna be the big takeaway. Can't wait for the inevitable bedwetting though

And then Luntz said "a great night for the Trump-Pence ticket."

It's Luntz, it's what he does.

Disappointing performance from Kaine. Wasn't agile on his feet and seemed more interested in hitting pre-written debate points. At times it almost felt like he was quoting blurbs from the back of a Hillary Clinton book. I really really like Kaine and think he'll be a great VP and could be a great president but he didn't do what he needed to do (in my opinion). Yea he kept the focus on Trump, and yes Pence refused to defend Trump...but there was never a commanding moment for Kaine on this issue.

Pence was impressive. The main thing I look at in a VP debate is whether someone is presidential and seems like they can do the job. Pence passed that test, and I can imagine republican aides/officials salivating at the thought of Pence being a shadow president on the hill. Kaine came off more like a cheerleader to me, and not in a good way. The attacks often fell flat or came at the wrong time. His best moments, for instance on race/police and NK/Chinese firms, were few and far between. And I really didn't like the interrupting. If you're going to interrupt you have to do it like Biden and physically dominate your opponent with your voice. He didn't do that.

Does it matter? Nah, probably not. But if you were looking for an extension of negative Trump stories going into the week...you probably didn't get one tonight.

Sunday remains the big night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom